Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It's amazing how Hollywood keeps finding new ways to make video game movies crash and burn.

Paul WS should have been the first mistake but RE movies apparently make money

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Mortal Kombat is still arguably the best video game movie which is weird because it's one of the few that kept the movie relatively accurate to the game. You'd think studios would've learned something from that.

And you are right the Resident Evil movies do make money. I'm guessing China carries them.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

it's funny because there was a time you could probably ask the Chinese what they thought of the really really racist poo poo in Hollywood movies and they'd be like "oh yeah Americans think our food, language and bodies are different, of course they do"

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Groovelord Neato posted:

Mortal Kombat is still arguably the best video game movie which is weird because it's one of the few that kept the movie relatively accurate to the game. You'd think studios would've learned something from that.

And you are right the Resident Evil movies do make money. I'm guessing China carries them.

Some aspects of the movie made it's way into the official games like Raiden as the mentor, Cage as the braggart, and Shang Tsung being played by the same actor.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
I think video game movies can start to do well for the same reason comics movies blossomed in the past decades. There are now multiple generations of potential fans. Before it was basically just kids and some young 20-somethings, but now you have parents who grew up with the IP who can be reached through nostalgia on top of the kids in the target demographic.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Some aspects of the movie made it's way into the official games like Raiden as the mentor, Cage as the braggart, and Shang Tsung being played by the same actor.

I also know the games have ridiculous and convoluted lore now so I'm glad they got the movie out when the game was just "fantasy Enter the Dragon".

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Groovelord Neato posted:

I also know the games have ridiculous and convoluted lore now so I'm glad they got the movie out when the game was just "fantasy Enter the Dragon".

Yeah I don't know what a story in an MK movie today would even be to fit into 2 hours or whatever. They won't want to just be an ultra violent tournament movie even though that would be ideal. Like just get Scott Adkins and every other good action person together make the costumes look badass and have them all fight a lot while Cary-Hiroyuki Tagawa says "FINISH HIM!" and "YOUR soul, is MINE." a lot it would own.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Inspector Gesicht posted:

They even just released a voice and costume pack for Raiden, Johnny and Sonya based on the movie, original actors included.

Kind of a mixed bag. Ashby is fine. Lambert not only has the whole problematic aspect of the model but he sounds like a late stage cancer patient. Wilson-Sampras is also fine but then again, ANYONE would look good next to Ronda Rousey's god awful acting.

Them having gotten Tagawa earlier freaking onwed and he utterly stole the show in the Aftermath DLC campaign.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Neo Rasa posted:

Yeah I don't know what a story in an MK movie today would even be to fit into 2 hours or whatever. They won't want to just be an ultra violent tournament movie even though that would be ideal. Like just get Scott Adkins and every other good action person together make the costumes look badass and have them all fight a lot while Cary-Hiroyuki Tagawa says "FINISH HIM!" and "YOUR soul, is MINE." a lot it would own.

The first one is just a new version of the old movie. Then you just continue using mortal Kombat 9 as a road map for the sequels.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

The first three games coulda made a decent trilogy of movies but Annihilation was the worst film I've seen in theatres.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

AceOfFlames posted:

Wilson-Sampras is also fine but then again, ANYONE would look good next to Ronda Rousey's god awful acting.

I was watching videos of this recently and both of them have some lines that are just completely off (as in the actresses sound bored out of their skulls) but its not the same lines so it's completely random in delivery. Wilson is way better at calling people "do nothing bitch"es which is lol because it is not who I would have bet on. Bridgette Wilson returning after a decade of being a mom is still amazing considering she was all over the movies I watched in high school

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://twitter.com/FGC_Daily/status/1334883604325756928?s=20

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Nice.

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM

Gatts posted:

Nice. TOASTY

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Neo Rasa posted:

There’s one coming out next year produced by James Wan and it sounds like it’s gonna be remarkably similar to this idea. Joe Taslim is Sub-Zero, Hiroyuki Sanada is Scorpion. It’s not super high budget so it will probably end up resembling the original movie, but with no holding back on the violence or gore. Chin Han is playing Shang Tsung, which could be a very different take on that character but he’s good at playing a shitheel so he’ll be just fine.

The other night as I restarted the MK11 story mode, and really remembered just how much the games themselves have shifted from a loving rip-off of Enter the Dragon to a sort of R-rated sci-fit/fantasy/Kung-fu blockbuster that basically just merges a bunch of aesthetics that young men who were teens/young adults in the 1980s would have loved. Shao Khan and Outworld are very Conan the Barbarian, all of the robots and super-soldiers are real Terminator/Predator, and of course there are still ninjas and shaolin monks, plus lots of horror inspired characters and motifs

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

DC Murderverse posted:

There’s one coming out next year produced by James Wan and it sounds like it’s gonna be remarkably similar to this idea. Joe Taslim is Sub-Zero, Hiroyuki Sanada is Scorpion. It’s not super high budget so it will probably end up resembling the original movie, but with no holding back on the violence or gore. Chin Han is playing Shang Tsung, which could be a very different take on that character but he’s good at playing a shitheel so he’ll be just fine.

The other night as I restarted the MK11 story mode, and really remembered just how much the games themselves have shifted from a loving rip-off of Enter the Dragon to a sort of R-rated sci-fit/fantasy/Kung-fu blockbuster that basically just merges a bunch of aesthetics that young men who were teens/young adults in the 1980s would have loved. Shao Khan and Outworld are very Conan the Barbarian, all of the robots and super-soldiers are real Terminator/Predator, and of course there are still ninjas and shaolin monks, plus lots of horror inspired characters and motifs

Also the games are now literally filled with 80s horror and action characters.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

That'd be really loving funny if they put Rambo and the Terminator in the movie.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Vince MechMahon posted:

Yeah most of the guest characters have fit right into the aesthetic of MK because they were all inspirations for the people making the games.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

DC Murderverse posted:

Yeah most of the guest characters have fit right into the aesthetic of MK because they were all inspirations for the people making the games.

It's still pretty weird seeing Joker there. And if you believe recent leaks, we're also getting Deathstroke in the spring. I know, Injustice and all that but come on.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Mierenneuker posted:

A year I ago I caught S.W.A.T. on the telly and I was amazed to see him in a decently sized role.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=raSWINBYtuc&t=22s

I remember looking at his IMDB profile at the time and noticing he also had a voice acting role the video game for the Catwoman movie :thumbsup:

SWAT is kind of an amazing film. They turn down one applicant because he doesn't have any civilian complaints against him, and then get betrayed by two other SWAT guys who presumably had heaps of civilian complaints, one of whom got fired for a civilian complaint.

Vandar posted:

I liked Renner in Tag.

My god I loving hated Tag. Might have just been timing, since my dad was diagnosed with cancer the week I saw it, but a bunch of rich spoiled idiots getting mad because they can't tag arrow guy just really rubbed me the wrong way

Payndz posted:

The Bourne Legacy is such a weird tangent to the Damon films. They're kinda-grounded action conspiracy thrillers about a guy who's been brutally trained into a killing machine. Legacy, meanwhile, goes full sci-fi with genetically modified super-soldiers. (All the weirder because for it to be contemporaneous with Ultimatum, it would have to be set in the early 2000s.)

And the genetically modified super soldiers only benefit from their genetic engineering is 'good at riding motorcycles'

The fight scene in the house was really good, though.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Legacy doesn't have an actual ending. I was extremely confused when the credits started rolling. The credits just start rolling when a chase scene ends, and they get away with none of the plots really wrapped up.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Legacy doesn't have an actual ending. I was extremely confused when the credits started rolling. The credits just start rolling when a chase scene ends, and they get away with none of the plots really wrapped up.
"But what about the thing, and that guy, and what was supposed to-"
"Sorry, can't hear you over the sound of another Extreme Ways remix."

Fake edit: the screenplay of Ultimatum literally ends with something like "CUE THE MOBY as BOURNE starts swimming."

Small Strange Bird fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Dec 7, 2020

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do

Alan Smithee posted:

I feel like both those guys are way nicer though, something about Aussies. Maybe it's because we expect them to put holes in walls everywhere they go and they dont actually do that

idk maybe if you like Renner's "ashtray-in-a-car scented cologne" smoulder i guess

For the last time, famous temperamental monster Sam Neil is from New Zealand

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Vince MechMahon posted:

a Mortal Kombat movie today is basically Ready Player One

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The series was almost horror movie Smash Bros between Freddy, Jason (sadly not in the same game), Alien, Predator and Leatherface. (I think there's actually a cheapo steam fighting game with legally distinct knockoffs of horror icons from the Ring girl to Slenderman.)

The new Mortal Kombat movie was apparently filmed in the city I live in. I really hope there's a Fatality involving the Mall's Balls.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

The Peccadillo posted:

For the last time, famous temperamental monster Sam Neil is from New Zealand

As is Russell Crowe. Clearly NZ isn’t as innocent and peaceful as it appears.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

https://twitter.com/FilmUpdates/status/1335940753420398592

Dune is a documentary

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

https://twitter.com/lifetimetv/status/1335947170281885699

Yes this is real* and here is a trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rHHbTm3Npfk

*it's 15min long

Sirotan fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Dec 7, 2020

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

I’m okay with this. Shitposting is one of the greatest joys in life and this is the advertising/parody whatever equivalent.

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

Shoulda been called eleven herbs and vices

PenguinKnight fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Dec 7, 2020

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
"Oh Colonel, don't you see? While you were battering the chicken, the chicken was also battering you!"

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Reminds me of the time that Will Ferrell and Kristen Wiig did the Lifetime movie that everyone was sure was going to be a parody, and then turned out to just be a straight Lifetime movie.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
The genre has basically become self-aware to the point where it's very hard to parody anymore.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

They had the romance novel a few years ago, so just a natural evolution:

Wendys did the rap album (someone else did that first but I can't remember who) and their D&D sourcebook. Corporate dystopia is bad but there are a few scraps

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The series was almost horror movie Smash Bros between Freddy, Jason (sadly not in the same game), Alien, Predator and Leatherface. (I think there's actually a cheapo steam fighting game with legally distinct knockoffs of horror icons from the Ring girl to Slenderman.)

The new Mortal Kombat movie was apparently filmed in the city I live in. I really hope there's a Fatality involving the Mall's Balls.

Dead by Daylight currently has Leatherface, Freddy (the lovely reboot version), Ghostface, Michael Myers, Pyramid Head, Bill From Left 4 Dead, Ash from Evil Dead, two of the Stranger Things kids, and the Demogorgon.

You can’t have them all fight each other at once but you could have Michael stalk and chase Ash, Bill, and the Stranger kids through Midwich Elementary School or Springwood.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Half an hour’s notice?
God ATT is so bad at running this company.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Tars Tarkas posted:

Wendys did the rap album (someone else did that first but I can't remember who) and their D&D sourcebook. Corporate dystopia is bad but there are a few scraps

Critical Role shilling that book was such a surreal experience.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Tars Tarkas posted:

They had the romance novel a few years ago, so just a natural evolution:

They also had this:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1121910/I_Love_You_Colonel_Sanders_A_Finger_Lickin_Good_Dating_Simulator/

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

I never noticed that the developers are literally called Psyop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

AceOfFlames posted:

Critical Role shilling that book was such a surreal experience.

They got in trouble for that