Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which lifepath will you take?
NOMAD (I like freedom)
STREET KID (I like the city)
CORPO (I like money)
I don't like labels
View Results

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

If the game breaks I will just pretend it's all a matrix simulation in my head canon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
well, for me, i don't care if the story and gameplay are bad, or if the game shoots out of the playstation and hits my cat, as long as I can purchase and play it that's good enough for me

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I never thought I would see someone call rich evans a good critic in this of all threads. Forums are loving wild

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

What days were those lol? I sure as hell can't think of any jankless times in gaming.

The good old days when you just plugged the cart into the system and it just worked. Like Final Fantasy 6, where the evade stat doesn't do anything and Relm's Sketch can cause the entire game to crash and delete all of your data.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

let the anger flow through your salt beef filling

CottonWolf posted:

No. But equally, if you complain about wine not being bread, you're not wrong, it's not, but it's also not a very useful criticism. The question is, are they finding bad on its own terms, or is it that they wanted the game to be something else entirely?

I don't think that's what happening in the reviews I've read this evening - Vice, Polygon, etc - and it's also true that this apparently very narrow IP shares its name with an entire literary genre. I know people are griping about the lengthy intro to the Polygon article (which I think is understandable for a trans person to want to write), but the real meat of the review isn't that, but that it's a game that thinks it's genuinely cool and edgy but takes its source material from the actual 80's and so feels dated, clunky, and a bit racist, just like your dad. There's nothing stopping them using that setting in a smarter way.

edit: not YOUR dad CottonWolf. I've never met your dad.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Relax Or DIE posted:

well, for me, i don't care if the story and gameplay are bad, or if the game shoots out of the playstation and hits my cat, as long as I can purchase and play it that's good enough for me

Exactly. Buying things is its own reward.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Wicked Them Beats posted:

The good old days when you just plugged the cart into the system and it just worked. Like Final Fantasy 6, where the evade stat doesn't do anything and Relm's Sketch can cause the entire game to crash and delete all of your data.

For the former it probably isn't immediately apparent and for the latter the game can be safely given a terrible review.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Dapper_Swindler posted:

again. pondsmiths cyberpunk isnt gibson and co. its 2000AD but made by an american. critics don't seem to understand that. too each their own but the universe itself was never nuanced and much like shadowrun never had a storyline per say.

Critics disappointed to find game is not Mamoru Oshii's Cyberpunk 2077

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

For if he like a madman lived,
At least he like a wise one died.

Claes Oldenburger posted:

It's pretty nuts for sure. I didn't think I'd like it as much as I do, but especially in FPS games you really notice the smoothing.

I played FPS games for my whole life at sub-60 fps, no complaints... now if I even attempt it I get a mild headache and I can't hit poo poo

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Cyberpunk 2077 II: Choombas of CEOs will fix all these problems, don't worry.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

VanillaGorilla posted:

Actually from the reviews I've read, it seems like the strong points are the same strong points from TW3 - good main characters, for the most part, and good main/side quest design. A lot of the world design and activities seem to have not evolved a lot from TW3. It's big and often pretty, but it's not necessarily a world that is good at being a living/breathing/dynamic place.

thats sounds about right. people including me were expect a bigger jump in quest design, when they basicaly stuck to what worked, wish they had taken more risks but i could see them looking at biowares various risky ventures and saying "nah".

TwoHeadedDeer
Nov 24, 2020

I will be made a new creature, one bright day
one thing that I'm getting from the more well-considered writing out there today is that the game is far less cynical than its marketing has made it out to be. I'm probably going to give it a shot because of that

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

For if he like a madman lived,
At least he like a wise one died.

Zaphod42 posted:

The good news about Cyberpunk is there's WAAAAY more skills than they hinted at in earlier previews.

Even if 3 goons were to all decide to build a character around Body, they could likely all come away with completely different skills and zero overlap in their build. There's that many options and priorities to be made.

This is a game where even if you do every side-quest you won't be able to get every perk.

Unnnfffff this is so entirely my game

So many playthrussss

HOOK IT TO MY VEINSSSSS

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Not as taciturn, but still terribly powerful...

Kazzah posted:

I started playing Witcher 3 in October of 2019 and got to Skellige last week, I reckon if I stop sleeping and going to work I can get to the end ebfore this comes out

Make sure to do all of the question marks in Skellige

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

https://twitter.com/SkillUpYT/status/1335999302812925954

SkillUp at least shows some integrity. He finished the game but will way until he can use his own footage.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

The Grumbles posted:

I don't think that's what happening in the reviews I've read this evening - Vice, Polygon, etc - and it's also true that this apparently very narrow IP shares its name with an entire literary genre. I know people are griping about the lengthy intro to the Polygon article (which I think is understandable for a trans person to want to write), but the real meat of the review isn't that, but that it's a game that thinks it's genuinely cool and edgy but takes its source material from the actual 80's and so feels dated, clunky, and a bit racist, just like your dad. There's nothing stopping them using that setting in a smarter way.

Yeah. That's completely fair. (And to put my cards on the table, I'm both a fan of the IP and thought that the Polygon review was good.) In many ways, it sounds like CP2077 has made mistakes that the newest version of the tabletop game hasn't in how it's handled these issues, but I'll wait till I've played the game next year to make a full judgement on that.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Dapper_Swindler posted:

thats sounds about right. people including me were expect a bigger jump in quest design, when they basicaly stuck to what worked, wish they had taken more risks but i could see them looking at biowares various risky ventures and saying "nah".

One overall very positive review said the engine was seemingly already buckling under the strain of trying to keep up with the ambitions of the game as it was, making an even more elaborate quest structure would have probably literally set a PS4 on fire

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

The Grumbles posted:

edit: not YOUR dad CottonWolf. I've never met your dad.

i agree with that. the pondsmith universe is a relic of its time, even if the creator is a pretty good dude and such. i am sure some changes are made but they also didnt really change much of the Witcher universe outside make the writing a little better.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Have the reviews mentioned much about the hacking?

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

My main concern is that the gunplay would be bad given that it's a new thing for CDPR but I've not seen anyone say that.

Is gameplay good, bugs bad a good summary of the reviews so far?

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah this is the video that really demonstrates how absurdly incredible the algorithm can be

E: Make sure you set youtube to the highest resolution

That's stunning.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
If I can get 60fps+ with at 1440p with RT and DLSS, I'll be fine. This type of style needs proper reflections and global illumination. And my transparent PVC jacket and hotpants need to refract properly.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

sean10mm posted:

One overall very positive review said the engine was seemingly already buckling under the strain of trying to keep up with the ambitions of the game as it was, making an even more elaborate quest structure would have probably literally set a PS4 on fire

yeah, not shocked.

CottonWolf posted:

Yeah. That's completely fair. (And to put my cards on the table, I'm both a fan of the IP and thought that the Polygon review was good.) In many ways, it sounds like CP2077 has made mistakes that the newest version of the tabletop game hasn't in how it's handled these issues, but I'll wait till I've played the game next year to make a full judgement on that.

this. i liked the waypoint review more but the polygon one was solid. i am curious to see for myself.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

I’d much rather a story be future noir and heist fiction than some naval gazing rumination on the nature of man or identity or whatever some reviewers are complaining about. The latter sounds like a loving slog in a shooter rpg.

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

Chalks posted:

My main concern is that the gunplay would be bad given that it's a new thing for CDPR but I've not seen anyone say that.

There’s apparently minimal ai for enemies and they use the more health=difficulty school of design for encounter design

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Chalks posted:

i have heard mixed. mostly the gunplay is good enough/solid. nothing out and out bad. melee system is a bit week apparently but fps melee is super hard in general.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Turin Turambar posted:

https://twitter.com/SkillUpYT/status/1335999302812925954

SkillUp at least shows some integrity. He finished the game but will way until he can use his own footage.

I initially thought that they were only blocking live streaming of the game until Wednesday, in order to stop leaked console play from popping up all over Twitch and Youtube. But not letting actual reviewers they sent advance copies to to use their own footage is hilarious. CDPR has zero faith in their own game.

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

Dapper_Swindler posted:

I am not sure if Bioware's ventures and whatnot faced the problem that they became too ambitious.
Rather, most people seem to wish Bioware stuck with what mostly worked.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
https://twitter.com/mega64/status/1336026577042198530?s=20

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Wicked Them Beats posted:

I initially thought that they were only blocking live streaming of the game until Wednesday, in order to stop leaked console play from popping up all over Twitch and Youtube. But not letting actual reviewers they sent advance copies to to use their own footage is hilarious. CDPR has zero faith in their own game.

They are... painfully aware of the state of their own game.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Blue Raider posted:

I’d much rather a story be future noir and heist fiction than some naval gazing rumination on the nature of man or identity or whatever some reviewers are complaining about. The latter sounds like a loving slog in a shooter rpg.

apparently it does have deep poo poo in it, but its more personal level stuff not deep political theory talk like DE(not an insult to that game)

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Man, I'm imagining now a 5/10 from Edge.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Wait a minute so no one has reviewed this game for consoles? Or am I misunderstanding that SkillUp tweet?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

JamMasterJim posted:

I am not sure if Bioware's ventures and whatnot faced the problem that they became too ambitious.
Rather, most people seem to wish Bioware stuck with what mostly worked.

its a mix of both for bioware.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Blue Raider posted:

It has its place, I do like those kinds of themes in Deus Ex.

But futuristic heist game sounds way more fun to me. At the end of the day I don't even care about the "nature of man" and all that crap, if I could replace my dumb fleshy body with cyborg parts today I would be on the waiting list immediately (assuming I could afford it :v:)

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Starks posted:

Wait a minute so no one has reviewed this game for consoles? Or am I misunderstanding that SkillUp tweet?

Correct as far as I know. All extant reviews are for PC.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Starks posted:

As of right now there are zero console reviews on Metacritic. Every review that has dropped is a PC review.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Pylons posted:

Have the reviews mentioned much about the hacking?

It has been shown off in tons of gameplay videos, what's your question?

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

No Mods No Masters posted:

Correct as far as I know. All extant reviews are for PC.

:stare:

Oh. Oh no.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

I think it’s a good idea to not cement our opinions about the experience of thing until we experience thing