Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

I got Exchange un-installed. It's been an hour and a half and nothing exploded yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

What did you do - reinstall and then uninstall?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Thanks Ants posted:

What did you do - reinstall and then uninstall?

I -think- I did that last time, which was probably the problem:

Get-ExchangeServer would reply back with EX01 and EX02 when I ran the command on EX02. But on EX01, the command only returned EX01

I ran the uninstaller again today, and it bitched about there being one mailbox in the store, 'Bob Morales Admin', which is my admin user that I used to do whatever it was on the box last time. So I removed that, then when the uninstaller asked for the media that the previous admin used to install the SP3 Rollup 29, I pointed it to the Exchange 2010 SP3 ISO I downloaded from MS this morning, and it successfully uninstalled.

Nothing has broke since, I didn't power the 2010 VM down yet but it's not running anything Exchange-related anymore. I don't see anything in the event logs on the 2016 box. Should probably check the logfiles real quick to be sure though.

OWA is working, internal/external mail is going, email volume graphs on our Barracuda archiver and mail gateway look normal...

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Exchange is poo poo.

Outlook is poo poo.

Gonna just spin up a dovecot/postfix server and keep everything in flat text files the way god intended and tell people to use that from now on.

Beefstorm
Jul 20, 2010

"It's not the size of the tower. It's the motion of the airwaves."
Lipstick Apathy

AlternateAccount posted:

Exchange is poo poo.

Outlook is poo poo.

Gonna just spin up a dovecot/postfix server and keep everything in flat text files the way god intended and tell people to use that from now on.

Dude, what are you crazy? Why are you even using email?

Just setup an FTP server, give everyone credentials, and tell everyone to leave messages in there. It's up to the end user to be checking the FTP server for their messages.

Users are responsible enough that you shouldn't need to worry about people checking messages that don't belong to them.

Then, if someone REALLY needs to send an email, it has to be a request to IT. Tell them to upload their message to an email folder, which will be processed and sent by the admin. Ya know, for security. But honestly, it would be better if you could just get your customers and business partners to get on your FTP server too.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

angry armadillo posted:

So this seems like a reasonable thread to post this:

Managing exchange mailboxes, please tell me how you do it.

It's not my decision on how we do it in our place, but if you haven't read the ticket came in thread, our exchange server died and the CIO wasn't happy with how my line manager, manages mailboxes (say that out loud ;))

Specifically, we run exchange 2003, it used to be standard edition and we nearly hit the 65gb limit. At this point my boss went round some of the biggest mailboxes and archived all their mail into personal folders on a network share.

The he realised the info store wasn't going down in size because he needed to do an offline defrag. This was going to take longer than a weekend so he never bothered. Eventually we hit the limit and used the email crash as a way of getting an order for exchange 2003 enterprise signed off... So now we pretty much just let users have big mail boxes.

- I'd say we have around 300 users and a mailbox store of 160gb, which from what I have discussed elsewhere isn't that big. However refer to the above about the CIO not being happy - he said he wanted us to reduce it by 50%.

His reasoning will be that he does a lot of work with the company that own us, and because they own us our policies on basically everything have to be in line as possible with theirs - their mailbox policy is 10mb of space each or 40mb if you are an exec. Archive or delete anything else. (though they have around 600k users worldwide, I'm not sure how that breaks down regionally, but I guess that is why they are a touch on the militant side perhaps?)

As much as it isn't my decision on how we change our policy, I can see 'buying enterprise and ignoring the problem' isn't a solution. There is a 'post-server-crash' meeting this week and I'd at least like to look half informed when I open my mouth.

So any knowledge would be appreciated :D

I don't think anything anyone can say here is going to help you. You are running an exchange version that went end of life 6 years ago. Honestly I am shocked it took that long to go end of life considering that it was over 10 years old at that point.

The reasonable thing to do would be to migrate that to exchange online (o365) but I would also assume you haven't paid for your email system is more than a decade as well and you don't want to start paying for it.

There isn't any productive thing to talk about in your situation besides "migrate to something feasible to support".

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I thought I'd missed something but angry armadillo's post was from 2011.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Thanks Ants posted:

I thought I'd missed something but angry armadillo's post was from 2011.

The app must have royally hosed up. I saw 1 update to the post and I swear I replied to that post.

Amazing!

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

It's the closest you'll get to reading a post from the archives

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

quote:

their mailbox policy is 10mb of space each

Are they EarthLink, from 1998?

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Bob Morales posted:

Are they EarthLink, from 1998?

its a oops reply post from 2011, so it's not outside of the realm. Everyone had a 2GB hard limit for me for the life my 2010 server (some 5 for VIPs) I do wonder now if angry armadillo ever left that company or spent money on upgrading their mail services.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Last place I left 3 years ago still has their exchange 2010 setup running and accessible. With presumably 100mb mailboxes because there was That Outage One Time because the main employee mail store got corrupted because the CEO’s mailbox was too large.

They’re owned by a German parent company that has a blanket cloud ban....SaaS, IaaS, whatever, it doesn’t matter.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

We have 3GB mailboxes which is pretty small...unless you’re an exec then you get whatever you want

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Bob Morales posted:

unless you’re an exec then you get whatever you want

This could be the title of a lot of threads.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

This message isn't getting out of .biz's network, is it? They are telling me my server is rejecting it based on size but there aren't any traces of it in either my spam filter or my Exchange server. CORP-EX13......biz and UHSDR-EX.....biz are both their mail servers.

Old Binsby
Jun 27, 2014

yeah the rejecting server is in the .biz domain, it probably has a message size restriction on the external send connector not allowing the message to go out. Though you may not spot a message you reject easily in the message tracking logs on your end should it ever make it there - at least, if you're also running Exchange, because iirc those logs don't record rejections based on message size.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

I don't think this is an exchange question, but I have no idea where else to ask this, so.

I bought a vanity domain so I could have a first@lastname.org address. I've been using this for job apps. Recently I used it to send a few personal emails and my friends told me they ended up in spam. Am I loving myself by using this? Anything I can do to prevent my emails from going to spam?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Have you configured SPF and DKIM properly?

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

I bought the domain together with my Lithium hosting, so it should come preconfigured correctly, but I will double check with them.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

I bought the domain together with my Lithium hosting, so it should come preconfigured correctly, but I will double check with them.

When you send emails, are you sending them through your hosting providers SMTP server, or using your ISP's SMTP server?

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Hosting provider's.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Anyone had to deal with a massive bulk export of exchange 2010 mailbox (archive mailbox really) to PST? I found out the hard way that queuing up 10 archive mailboxes using Input-CSV and running some foreach against that queues all ten then processes all ten simultaneously. This was awesome when my test ran against a .CSV with four measly mailboxes each less than 10MB . It did not do so well when I tried it with a beefier .CSV of ten mailboxes totally around 176 GB. Needs to say my CAS did not appreciate the strain and promptly hosed off for several hours.

We have a licensed tool for this exact purpose that takes the load off the CAS entirely, but my boss doesn't want to put more money into it (it's licensed by the amount of data the software pushes over a wire) and thinks I could probably just fancy up my script with some sleep commands.

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

hatelull posted:

Anyone had to deal with a massive bulk export of exchange 2010 mailbox (archive mailbox really) to PST? I found out the hard way that queuing up 10 archive mailboxes using Input-CSV and running some foreach against that queues all ten then processes all ten simultaneously. This was awesome when my test ran against a .CSV with four measly mailboxes each less than 10MB . It did not do so well when I tried it with a beefier .CSV of ten mailboxes totally around 176 GB. Needs to say my CAS did not appreciate the strain and promptly hosed off for several hours.

We have a licensed tool for this exact purpose that takes the load off the CAS entirely, but my boss doesn't want to put more money into it (it's licensed by the amount of data the software pushes over a wire) and thinks I could probably just fancy up my script with some sleep commands.

Check your MRS settings file. Been a long time since I touched 2010 but a quick google dredged this up. https://edmckinzie.wordpress.com/2011/12/12/how-to-speed-up-a-large-exchange-2010-migration/

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
I feel like there's something dumb an obvious I'm overlooking here...

We recently moved to O365 and have people in an O365 "Group" (in the Exchange admin side of things). If someone makes an event on that group's calendar, it's fine, the event is there. If they try to cancel/delete that event from the group's calendar, they get a permission error or just "cannot delete item". I even added myself as owner/member/send as on that group and get the same thing. HOWEVER, if you try to cancel/delete it in OWA, it's fine.

edit-- Since it's a group, there's no way to right click the calendar in Outlook and assign permissions like I'm used to with regular Exchange calendars, so this is somewhat new to me.

Any ideas?

Count Thrashula fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Aug 19, 2020

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

NUMBER 1 FULCI FAN posted:

I feel like there's something dumb an obvious I'm overlooking here...

We recently moved to O365 and have people in an O365 "Group" (in the Exchange admin side of things). If someone makes an event on that group's calendar, it's fine, the event is there. If they try to cancel/delete that event from the group's calendar, they get a permission error or just "cannot delete item". I even added myself as owner/member/send as on that group and get the same thing. HOWEVER, if you try to cancel/delete it in OWA, it's fine.

edit-- Since it's a group, there's no way to right click the calendar in Outlook and assign permissions like I'm used to with regular Exchange calendars, so this is somewhat new to me.

Any ideas?

Dumb question: are you using m365 or a perpetual office 13\16\19?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

incoherent posted:

Dumb question: are you using m365 or a perpetual office 13\16\19?

Outlook is Office 365 subscrip, not a standalone purchase

Edit-- If I create a meeting on the Group Calendar and invite myself, it shows up on my calendar and the group calendar. Then when I try to "send cancellation" from the Group Calendar, it cancels the meeting on the Group Calendar, but fails deleting/sending cancellations out to attendees.

If I create a meeting on MY calendar and invite the group calendar, it shows up on both calendars like normal. Then I can cancel on my end and it removes it from both.

I guess Groups are like Room Calendars where you can't directly edit in the calendar itself but you can invite/remove/cancel etc. if the group is an attendee? This is confusing.

Count Thrashula fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Aug 19, 2020

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

If it has a calendar it has a mailbox, so run Add-MailboxFolderPermission -Identity groupname@company.com:\Calendar -User you@company.com -AccessRights Editor

YarPirate
May 17, 2003
Hellion

hatelull posted:

We use kernel for exchange to read edbs and export psts but it is also licensed... works great but may not help if it needs to be free.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Good news exchange thread, we're getting email address + support! in exchange online!

IN place upgrades for 2019! with those ridiculous 128gb of ram requirements to boot!

Absolutely no communication about winding down these onprem exchange requirements if you're completely over to exchange online!

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/exchange-team-blog/exchange-news-and-announcements-microsoft-ignite-2020-edition/ba-p/1662224

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug

incoherent posted:

Absolutely no communication about winding down these onprem exchange requirements if you're completely over to exchange online!

I watched the video, they basically say to keep using 2016 on-prem so you get your free hybrid key, because they're not ready to announce anything yet. If they're not pushing people to buy licenses and upgrade to 2019, there's at least a hope that removing your last onprem server in a hybrid deploy is "soon".

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Is there a way to make a room resource not visible in the GAL, but let other select users still manage it?

The idea is to not let users send requests directly using Outlook, they have to go through a group of users. But if you hide the resource in the address book, those users can't open the calendar to manage it.

I tried changing the default access rights to 'None', but the calendar is still visible in the address book.

Old Binsby
Jun 27, 2014

Bob Morales posted:

Is there a way to make a room resource not visible in the GAL, but let other select users still manage it?

The idea is to not let users send requests directly using Outlook, they have to go through a group of users. But if you hide the resource in the address book, those users can't open the calendar to manage it.

I tried changing the default access rights to 'None', but the calendar is still visible in the address book.

Two address book policies, one for people who can see the resource and one for people who can't. I wouldn't go there, it's way too much hassle but afaik you can't hide mailboxes from a group of people any other way.
You can also hide the resource mailbox after adding it to outlook for the people who need to manage it. It will stay visible in Outlook once added to a profile. Also not exactly a great solution. Each time someone is added to the group of people who can see the resource, you will need to unhide, add in profile, hide. It's also not great but might work in a pinch.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

If someone has to "go through a group of users" isn't that basically the same thing as having booking delegates?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Thanks Ants posted:

If someone has to "go through a group of users" isn't that basically the same thing as having booking delegates?

I think it's more they don't want the minions to be able to use it

Old Binsby
Jun 27, 2014

Thanks Ants posted:

I thought of this too btw, but I guess I supposed this was a reasonably documented feature. I've kind of run into this at a largish company, where the executive assistants absolutely did not want regional office heads' secretaries be able to book - ok, fair - or even see (???) the boardrooms etc resources in their room list in Outlook. Despite having an availability of 'never' to regular users. There was no real reason for this but they wanted it done anyway.

Will Styles
Jan 19, 2005
Booking delegates work as an approval list. Anyone who is a delegate will receive a copy of the meeting invite and they can accept/decline the meeting. This will give that group of people control over what meetings appear on the calendar, however they'll have to manage every meeting.

An alternative is to use book allow lists, where you can explicitly list users who are allowed to book the room. Anyone who sends a meeting request to the room that isn't on the list will receive a decline reply from the resource. Example 7 on this page is setting this exact thing https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powershell/module/exchange/set-calendarprocessing?view=exchange-ps.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Will Styles posted:

Booking delegates work as an approval list. Anyone who is a delegate will receive a copy of the meeting invite and they can accept/decline the meeting. This will give that group of people control over what meetings appear on the calendar, however they'll have to manage every meeting.

An alternative is to use book allow lists, where you can explicitly list users who are allowed to book the room. Anyone who sends a meeting request to the room that isn't on the list will receive a decline reply from the resource. Example 7 on this page is setting this exact thing https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powershell/module/exchange/set-calendarprocessing?view=exchange-ps.

Right. But they don’t want anyone to be able to even send a request.

It’s just silly. Did the hide/unhide trick, we’ll see. We have an internal conferencing tool on our phone system that we might be using a way which will eliminate this. Hopefully.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Here's the secenario:

We have an internal distribution group/security group that's mainly for a room resource. However, people have been giving the address out to external people and they're using that. SomeGroup@contoso.org

We don't want them doing that. Only internal people should be emailing this group. It shouldn't even be used as a distribution group...but anyway.

Checking "Only senders inside my organization" doesn't seem to affect this. Apparently, this is because we have a Barracuda Appliance that gets our email first, and then after filtering, it sends to our Exchange server.

In this case, anything from the Barracuda connector is 'authenticated', so Exchange sees that as 'inside my organization'.

I tried making a Mail Flow rule but you can't do anything using the group so I'm stuck.

Hawkline
May 30, 2002

¡La Raza!
I don't think mail from a perimeter appliance should be authenticated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Hawkline posted:

I don't think mail from a perimeter appliance should be authenticated.

How would I go about checking?