Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

BalloonFish posted:

The diagonal scantlings allowed the US heavy frigates to be slightly longer than a conventional 90-gun two-decker but without (obviously) the extra weight or the extra beam needed to provide stability due to the higher centre of gravity. This allowed them to keep the traditional 'frigate-built' proportions of a long waterline and a narrow underwater hull section which made them both seaworthy and fast. Conventional construction limited a single-deck ship to about 140ft on the waterline with 32, maybe 36 guns. Multi-deck ships could be longer because the extra decks gave the hull relatively more strength - a two-decker could be about 180ft and a three-decker about 220ft. The heavy frigates were 175ft on the waterline and 200ft overall. Waterline length determines a ship's maximum speed and the heavy frigates' scantlings and heavy planking gave them both the length and displacement not far off that of a seventy-four, but with the slimmer hull, lower freeboard and lower centre of gravity of a frigate, which allowed them to carry more sail than a normal frigate and make best use of the added power.

As was mentioned upthread, the same thinking was behind the advantages of a razee ship, which had the build, length and hull form of a ship-of-the-line but after conversion had a much reduced windage and weight. The US heavy frigates were sort of 'new build' razees.

Thanks, this is really interesting stuff for a Patrick O'Brian fan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

So many posts about length and seamen and hogging and no one is gonna say anything?

We're just leaving that money on the table?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Xiahou Dun posted:

So many posts about length and seamen and hogging and no one is gonna say anything?

We're just leaving that money on the table?

The Navy is all about rum, sodomy, and the lash. And no one drinks rum anymore.

Rob Rockley
Feb 23, 2009

Cythereal posted:

The Navy is all about rum, sodomy, and the lash. And no one drinks rum anymore.

All you can get now is a cup of Joe. (Not sure this is really the origin of the phrase though.)

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

If you all want an accessible and decent book on those check out “Seven Frigates.” A good chunk of it is about the way they came about and were built. It’s solid if you don’t have background in naval history and want something readable.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Did the flaring bits on the classic stalhelm serve a practical purpose that the FJ helmet suffered from losing?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Did the flaring bits on the classic stalhelm serve a practical purpose that the FJ helmet suffered from losing?

Supposedly it was to provide better protection for the neck area, and was modeled after the medieval sallet. I say "supposedly" because I'm not sure if it was actually any more effective at preventing neck injuries than a brodie or adrian.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

FWIW even the Nazis were looking to revise it, as iconic as it was and as much as we associate it with them today. They had a m1945 Stahlhelm that never entered production which, unchanged, was eventually produced by the DDR as their standard helmet.

edit: realized I need to clarify that that dude's an East German soldier. They, uh, reused a lot of the old Wehrmacht look, especially early on.

I've read that the flared sides have basically the same idea as the flared base (heheh) on the WW1-WW2 Stahlhelm, with the benefit of whatever combat experiences or ease-of-manufacturing* changes they came up with over the previous 30 years.

*the Stahlhelm was hideously crazy to make. Something like a dozen major stamping stages and the dies had to be heated for reasons involving the gauge of steel they used or something. Either way, it was a gently caress ton more difficult to make one than a pot helmet or a brodie by the time you hit WW2.

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020

Cyrano4747 posted:

If you all want an accessible and decent book on those check out “Seven Frigates.” A good chunk of it is about the way they came about and were built. It’s solid if you don’t have background in naval history and want something readable.

"Six Frigates?"

Like John Dolan says, war is about people, not hardware. This book tells you the story about the US Navy, kooky doctirnal ideas from a kooks who wanted to translate militias into the ocean, sourcing enormous swamp oaks with the specific curves needed for the prow of a ship, the barbary coast expedition, dueling and its effects on the early officer corps...

real good

Greg12 fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Dec 7, 2020

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Sure, as stated it provided a bit more protection to your neck, especially when lying down. The US's post 1982 kevlar helmets use broadly the same pattern for this reason, and there was some hesitance to adopt that helmet because it looked so much like the "naughty German" helmet.

The Germans really bought into the helmet as an icon of their military. "Der Stahlhelm" was the name of a right-wing veteran's group in the inter-war years. The helmet's profile was also used on awards:

(That's the WWI version. The WWII version had a swastika.)

It was also the tactical symbol of the Grossdeutschland Division, used on vehicles:

To get REALLY pedantic, the replacement helmet eventually adopted by the DDR was designed in 1942, specifically to make production simpler.

(This wasn't the M1945, that's a different deal, a mid-war M42 (itself a simplified M36 (no rolled edges) that omitted the little rivet/vents in the sides for ease of manufacture (although this might not have been an "official" variant, just shoddy manufacturing).)

But because the stahlhelm was so iconic, Hitler personally blocked it's manufacture.

Grenrow
Apr 11, 2016

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Not sure about protection, but in one of those reenactment kind of matches they do on InRange where they compared some WWI kit, one of the guys points out that the stalhelm is way more comfortable to wear when prone, because the flared part keeps it from poking into your neck.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Cyrano4747 posted:

edit: realized I need to clarify that that dude's an East German soldier. They, uh, reused a lot of the old Wehrmacht look, especially early on.

It is downright shocking how much the DDR didn't alter the "look" of their military.

I mean, look at that guy. Collar litzen (the bars) with waffenfarbe (branch of service colors, white = infantry). Feldgrau uniform. Shoulder boards with identical insignia to the Wehrmacht.

That's an adoption of the old Wehrmacht uniform with the same incremental updates that they would have had if the Nazis hadn't lost.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
WW2 Data

As we continue with rifle grenades we can see a larger (61mm) anti-tank rifle grenade, as well as a hollow charge version. Lastly, there's a rifle grenade that can also be substituted as a hand grenade. What are the differences between the first two? How does the Hand/Rifle Grenade work? What allows the rifle grenade version to have a longer (11 seconds) delay than the hand grenade version (4.5 seconds)? Which of these rifle grenades used a self-destroying fuze? All that and more at the blog!

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
I assume some of the early DDR uniform stuff was done for cost reasons. Doesn't excuse it and man those fifties early conscipts must of not been the best fans.

Fish of hemp
Apr 1, 2011

A friendly little mouse!
On the other hand, if you are building a draconian police state, why change the tried and tested aesthetic?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Fish of hemp posted:

On the other hand, if you are building a draconian police state, why change the tried and tested aesthetic?

There had to be at least one member of the Gestapo that slipped through the cracks and ended up in the Stasi.

White Coke
May 29, 2015
I think they actively recruited ex-Gestapo. But I can’t remember where I heard that so take it with a grain of salt.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

SeanBeansShako posted:

I assume some of the early DDR uniform stuff was done for cost reasons.

Feldgrau uniform. Identical rank insignia. Similar shooter's lanyard. Similar collar litzen. Identical pockets. Similar cut. Similar pattern "cuff title." That's a Wehrmacht uniform with updates. They slightly redesigned the uniforms, then issued hundreds of thousands of them.

Since they're redesigning them anyway, why not make them look a bit less Wehrmacht-y? I doubt they saved any money there.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Here's a Wehrmacht M40 feldbluse for comparison:

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Cythereal posted:

Also something to bear in mind for these discussions is that you don't have to sink a ship to effectively kill it. None of the Japanese carriers at Midway, for example, were actually sunk by the Americans. They were gutted and reduced to drifting, burning hulks, but none of them sank until the IJN scuttled them.

Ships are generally designed to float above all other design considerations, and it tends to take something severe to make them stop floating. But you can render a ship completely useless and fit only for the scrap yard without seriously compromising the ship's ability to float.

2020 can serve you up an example of this, and from a kind of carrier, no less:

Phanatic posted:

Stuff like the USN's decision to scrap its burned-out LHD:

https://news.usni.org/2020/11/30/navy-will-scrap-uss-bonhomme-richard

For those that don't know, the US Marine Corps had its amphibious assault ship Bonhomme Richard catch on fire while docked, and if you look for photos you can see many things melted and distorted

Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

What is a soldier but a miserable pile of eaten cats and strange language?

Warden posted:

16th and 17th centuries: Rise of an Empire

In the 17th century Gustav Adolphus, the Lion of the North, pushed the Swedish Empire’s borders as far as they would ever be, but this was mostly due to Russia’s temporary weakness, a modernized Swedish army and bureaucracy, and only partly his excellence. Sweden gained the control of the rest of Karelian Isthmus and also areas on the north shore of Lake Ladoga. People from Eastland served in the wars, most famously as “Hakkapeliittas”, light cavalry who gained a reputation for savagery and ferocity in battle.

It was actually the predecessors of Charles/Karl XII, dude who lost the Great Northern War and died during it, who pushed the borders of Sweden to its furthest extend (Charles X and XI if memory servers). Also, the Hakkapeliittas are a matter of considerable discussion. The Swedish Intelligencer, a series of books written during the 30yw by English/Scots officers in Gustafs army mentions Torsten Stålhandske (who was fluent in Englishj) talking about how some of his cavalry, the "hackapels" were Finnish troops who were ferocious. The people in our 30yw re-enactment group (many career historians and museum staff) have dug up descriptions of Swedish orders of armour for cavalry during the war. Also the fact that Stålhandskes cavalry (which at Lutzen included all the ethnic Swedish and Finnish cavalrymen left) beat and routed heavy Imperial cavalry at Luetzen would imply that they can't have been lightly armoured/armed by that point. The ferocity often attributed to the Hakkapeliittas might be due to the fact that they had few if any pistols initially (so the would have to charge and fight hand to hand) and I think Hey Guns mentioned ages ago that they trounced Imperial Croat cavalry during the first winter after Sweden entered the war (as they were likely used to harsher winters than the Croats).

Polyakov
Mar 22, 2012

Here is an index of my effortposts.

The majority of them are archived on my website. However for those of you who prefer on-site and for the smaller ones i never transferred here is a list.

quote:

Naval Mine history.

The origins of the Sea mine and its early development.

Mines from 1844-1907

Mines from 1907-1918.

Mines from 1918-1945.

Mines from 1945-1975.

Mines from 1967-1991.

Soviet Industry

Build up of Soviet industry in the interwar.

Early foreign involvement in Soviet Industry.

The development and end of foreign involvement in Soviet Industry.

1962 Indo Chinese war

1962 Indo Chinese war - Background.

1962 Indo Chinese war - Indian military preparations and policy. P.1.

1962 Indo Chinese war - Indian military preparations and policy. P.2. (Op Onkar and the forward policy).

1962 Indo Chinese war - The fighting starts.

1962 Indo Chinese war - Reinforcement and reorganisation

1962 Indo Chinese war - Destruction of the 4th ID and collapse in the NEFA.

Iran Iraq

Iran-Iraq war, context and background.

Iran-Iraq war, the armies, the objectives and the beginning.

Iran-Iraq war, the initial year, Saddams assault.

Iran-Iraq war. 81-82.

Iran-Iraq war. 82-83.

Iran-Iraq war. The tanker war 80-86.

Iran-Iraq war. The tanker war 87-88 (US involvement). P.1.

Iran-Iraq war. The tanker war 87-88 (US involvement). P.2.

Iran-Iraq war, 1984.

Iran-Iraq war, 1984-85.

Iran-Iraq war, 1985-86.

Iran-Iraq war, 1986-88 P1.

Iran-Iraqwar, 1986-88 P2.

The arms trade in Iran-Iraq P.1.

The arms trade in Iran-Iraq P.2.

Chemical weapons in Iran-Iraq.

Iranian and US relations in the 90’s and 2000’s.

The weapon of terrorism in the Iran Iraq War.

Gulf War 1

GW1 Background.

GW1 - Key weapon systems and initial invasion.

GW1 - Logistics and initial deployment.

Armenia/Azerbaijan conflict history and origins

Armenia/Azerbaijan conflict - History of the two countries within the USSR.

Armenia/Azerbaijan conflict - Collapse of the USSR and start of the fighting.

Food and starvation.

Why did countries starve in WW1.

German Agriculture in the interwar.

Nazi Agriculture in and around WW2.

Post WW2 food shortages.

Food quantities in Soviet Russia in WW2.

Misc.

British interwar tank rearmament

Economic decline of the British empire post WW2.

Development of a cure for scurvy.

Economics of colonies in the British Empire.

Fire control equations and computers

Post WW1 negotiations hurdles.

Funding of the Battleship race.

Plans for the invasion of Japan.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

Nebakenezzer posted:

2020 can serve you up an example of this, and from a kind of carrier, no less:

For those that don't know, the US Marine Corps had its amphibious assault ship Bonhomme Richard catch on fire while docked, and if you look for photos you can see many things melted and distorted

It’s the navy’s ship

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Cessna posted:

Feldgrau uniform. Identical rank insignia. Similar shooter's lanyard. Similar collar litzen. Identical pockets. Similar cut. Similar pattern "cuff title." That's a Wehrmacht uniform with updates. They slightly redesigned the uniforms, then issued hundreds of thousands of them.

Since they're redesigning them anyway, why not make them look a bit less Wehrmacht-y? I doubt they saved any money there.

Okay, then somebody clearly has an unhealthy fascination with the past!

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Argas posted:

I can only imagine it being a disadvantage if you have a ship that can somehow survive but is magically light enough to have taken more damage had it been a contact explosion. So almost certainly no, aside from the aforementioned whoops all duds of the mark 14.

Perhaps the new Scandinavian corvettes?
The Swedish Visby is plastic and carbon fibre with a displacement of 640 tons.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visby-class_corvette

The Norwegian Skjold is fibreglass and carbon composite with a displacement of 270 tons which it achieves by a combination of two catamaran style hulls with an air cushion (like a hovercraft) between them.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skjold-class_corvette

For reference a Flower is 940 tons and Russia's latest corvette, the Steregushchiy, is 2100.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Cessna posted:

It's also worth noting that that poo poo looked like that right up until the end. I remember going through piles of E. German surplus in the early 00s and marveling at how it was all cut that way. The greatcoats are super blatant.

The DDR in the 80s wasn't a country so poor it had to re-use old uniform designs.

MrYenko posted:

There had to be at least one member of the Gestapo that slipped through the cracks and ended up in the Stasi.

If by "at least one" you mean "gently caress near all of them," sure.

Grumio
Sep 20, 2001

in culina est
The various effortposts linked in the last few pages are tribute to how awesome you folks are. Some seriously good research and writing contained in past MilHist threads.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Watching Tora Tora Tora today and I noticed one of the Japanese Officers on the Yamato has a beard, really stuck out.

Anyone know if there were any notable bearded Japanese Naval Officers at the beginning of WWII?

Clickable thumbnail:

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Yeah I was thinking the same thing, was that just a eccentric extra or was there a crazy maverick who refused to cut his Meiji era beard?

Not the Messiah
Jan 7, 2018
Buglord
I remember reading a good post on one of these threads (or a related one!) about the NATO and Soviet battle planners running projections on what would happen if war broke out in Europe, and both landing on something Horrifying like 80% of their frontline divisions effectively ceasing to exist within the first few days - I think this was talking about the mid-late 80s when military hardware starts getting very scary. Does anyone know any good sources or juicy info on something like that, on military planning when tech starts to get hyper lethal if I had to put it to into a coherent phrase?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

SeanBeansShako posted:

Yeah I was thinking the same thing, was that just a eccentric extra or was there a crazy maverick who refused to cut his Meiji era beard?

Man, I dunno about that one dude but on a whim I googled "japanese admiral beard" and turned up this guy

loving goddrat I think four sperm whales died to provide the oil for that magnificent spread.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Does anyone have that clip of the japanese guys giving an aide poo poo for shaving because they don’t recognize him? Last few posts reminded me of it and I can’t find it.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

LostCosmonaut posted:

AT ditches seem doctrine purist to me honestly, it's right in the name.

I'd switch the places of molotov cocktails and AT ditches, yeah. There are lots of things you can destroy with molotov cocktails.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

TK-42-1 posted:

Does anyone have that clip of the japanese guys giving an aide poo poo for shaving because they don’t recognize him? Last few posts reminded me of it and I can’t find it.

https://i.imgur.com/ti3yHSs.mp4

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Cyrano4747 posted:

Man, I dunno about that one dude but on a whim I googled "japanese admiral beard" and turned up this guy

loving goddrat I think four sperm whales died to provide the oil for that magnificent spread.

Holy poo poo, it’s like something out of anime.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

"According to Wikipedia" there is a black hole that emits zionist hawking radiation where my brain should have been

I really should just shut the fuck up and stop posting forever
College Slice

I am just so incredibly amused by this.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Cyrano4747 posted:

If by "at least one" you mean "gently caress near all of them," sure.

Yeah this is a classic example of "I ate some of the cookies" does not actually make the statement "I ate all of the cookies" false kind of poo poo.

(It's called an upwards entailment if you're a math nerd.)

White Coke
May 29, 2015
1. Did the Swedes reintroduce shock tactics to cavalry in the 30 Years War, was there already a transition going on, or is the use of the caracole and similar tactics overstated so there wasn't much a decline in the first place?

2. Did the ratio of cavalry to infantry in armies increase throughout the 17th century such that during the wars of Louis XIV armies had as much or greater numbers of cavalry than infantry, and if so why did it?

3. If so how did infantry react to these changes, either in tactics or composition?

4. Was there a regression of cavalry tactics in the 18th century, where they became less aggressive again?

5. How did 18th century infantry repel cavalry attacks if they very rarely if ever formed into squares?

6. If so, how did Napoleonic cavalry (and infantry) tactics evolve to make infantry form into squares far more frequently than in the preceding century?

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

SeanBeansShako posted:

I assume some of the early DDR uniform stuff was done for cost reasons. Doesn't excuse it and man those fifties early conscipts must of not been the best fans.
why would they care? some of them were the same guys

they even goose step and their parade flags were distinctly Eagle shaped

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

HEY GUNS posted:

why would they care? some of them were the same guys

they even goose step and their parade flags were distinctly Eagle shaped

Thinking of the post war teenagers not the old sweats. I know some didn't have a choice but still.