Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Put hard boiled eggs in it for pickled eggs. Do picklebacks. Mix a little into egg salad/chicken salad/tuna salad. Add it to cole slaw or potato salad or anything that needs a little acidity and salt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPhrSkhhxo4&t=85s

If it's a normal pickle (not bread & butter or other sweet pickle) you can use it instead of vinegar in almost any recipe which calls for vinegar, or you can pickle whatever other vegetables you like. Boil it in a pot, take it off the heat, and add thinly sliced red onions. Once it's cool, return to pickle jar. Put that on anything that could use a vinegar spike.

As usual, season to taste. Pickle juice won't be as strong as pure vinegar and will add other flavors.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Let chicken bathe in it then fry it then explode

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020
pickle juice fried cabbage?

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020
you can cook anything, literalyl!

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Cheese Thief posted:

you can pickle anything, literalyl!

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Goons With Spoons > GWS General Chat: you can pickle anything, literalyl

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
So we had a couple pumpkins lying around and my mom carved them up(after cleaning out the gross parts and cooking up some seeds) and baked them in the oven then had me remove the flesh from the skin and then pulverize them in a blender, so now we have what's probably at least a quart or so of pureed pumpkin, what are some things that could be done with this?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Sadly the pumpkin pie canned stuff tastes a lot more like what you're thinking pumpkin pie should taste like so I'm really not sure. Maybe you could do a nice earthy gourd soup with clove and cinnamon, nutmeg, etc.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
You totally can use the puree in a soup. I'll just go with a recent one I made as an example, I'm sure you could come up with a dozen variations, but I basically roasted the halved gourd on a baking sheet alongside some carrots and onions, added some garlic cloves near the end, scooped the flesh out out, then blended them with the veggies, some lime and veggie stock, various spices (I did uh... let's say cayenne, cinnamon, and sweet paprika). Once that was fairly smooth I blended it again with coconut milk. Top it with a little drizzle of oil or some roasted pumpkin seeds, maybe some croutons if you want!

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

good aprons?

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
Its a great acid to use in place of lemon juice or vin! I don't recognize a deviled egg recipe that doesn't include a healthy shot of pickle juice.

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020

So whoever recommended for me to get this book, thanks! I was reading Chapter 1: The Basics of Cooking.
The very first page it says there is this thing called 'food born pathogens" and it can cause food related illnesses, but can be avoided. A lot of cooks are fanatical about kitchen cleanliness. So I think that's something I'm going to have to take seriously. I mean I took microbiology in college but I forgot a lot of it, I know H. Pylori is a thing. I'm going to keep reading this book but today I'm going to clean my pans.

taco show
Oct 6, 2011

motherforker

Pickle soda is legit good if you want to sip and not chug it. I mostly use pickle juice to brine fried chicken.

ogarza
Feb 25, 2009
Uh, I just drink the pickle juice straight from the jar, its loving delicious

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020
I drank some of the pickle juice, it was good. All I have to eat is a stick of butter left and I could feel like it would make you a little sick by eating too much, but the pickle juice balances it out.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
Before the shutdown I was working on the new drink menu and had the idea for “pickled honey.” Basically made a neutral pickle brine then diluted honey with it at I think a 3:2 ratio of honey:brine. Made a delicious bee’s knees. I forget what else I was trying it with, probably some sort of tequila and grapefruit drink.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Cheese Thief posted:

I drank some of the pickle juice, it was good. All I have to eat is a stick of butter left and I could feel like it would make you a little sick by eating too much, but the pickle juice balances it out.

Eat real food please. Even subway sandwiches are better than a meal consisting of only butter and pickle juice, and that bread technically counts as cake.

Buy some Jimmy John's day-old bread for $0.50, buy sliced ham and cheese, add butter for poor man's delicious sandwich.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
He has thousands of dollars' worth of synthesizers and guitar poo poo, I don't know why he eats like this. Just let him be a maniac and enjoy the posts.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?

The Maestro posted:

neutral pickle brine

How does that work exactly?

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

Guildenstern Mother posted:

How does that work exactly?

Oh I see how I worded that very poorly. I didn’t mean pH, I meant unused. No residual cucumber (or whatever) flavor.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Brawnfire posted:

Let chicken bathe in it then fry it then explode

Seconding this. Chick-Fil-A marinades their chicken in pickle juice and milk and they know their poo poo.

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020

BrianBoitano posted:

Eat real food please. Even subway sandwiches are better than a meal consisting of only butter and pickle juice, and that bread technically counts as cake.

Buy some Jimmy John's day-old bread for $0.50, buy sliced ham and cheese, add butter for poor man's delicious sandwich.

Well all the stores are closed and I am working 11am-11pm, I can't get there before work or after work. When I eat its poo poo like this which honestly I'd rather just not eat then spend this money, just on basic principles.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Working 12 hour days sucks for getting poo poo done, no shade or shame.

But eating pickles and butter sucks worse. I'd bet Doordash + deli meat and cheese once a week will be cheaper than your fast food meals, or find a way to wake up an hour early and go out before work once a week :shrug:

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020

BrianBoitano posted:

Working 12 hour days sucks for getting poo poo done, no shade or shame.

But eating pickles and butter sucks worse. I'd bet Doordash + deli meat and cheese once a week will be cheaper than your fast food meals, or find a way to wake up an hour early and go out before work once a week :shrug:

I've heard of Door Dash, I put it on my phone and will give it a try next time.

My truck is in the shop. Would it be weird to get an uber to the grocery store, and upon my return home put a lot of grocery bags in the back of the car? How do people without vehicles get groceries

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Cheese Thief posted:

My truck is in the shop. Would it be weird to get an uber to the grocery store, and upon my return home put a lot of grocery bags in the back of the car? How do people without vehicles get groceries

I live within 15 minutes walk of 2 major supermarkets, an organic shop, a butchers and a Japanese food shop, but I'm in a suburb in a city in Australia.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Cheese Thief posted:

Are you asking if it would be weird to use a taxi to take you and your groceries home? Of course not! Here in London a lot of big supermarkets actually have dedicated phones that ring through to a local taxi company.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

get a taxi, get groceries

eat things besides butter

live long and prosper

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Cheese Thief posted:

Nah I've taken Ubers plenty of times after going to the Grocery Store if I walked there and had gotten a lot of crap(especially when I'm staying at my dad's house as his place is up on a hill)

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

I mean the Uber will work it out when your pick up location is a supermarket. If they don’t want the job they won’t take it and someone else will, but getting an Uber or taxi from the shops is pretty common.
Get yourself some nice food goon.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
Why on earth would it be a problem? You wouldn’t worry about it taking luggage.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010

Cheese Thief posted:

That’s not weird at all. Just go to the store and buy some bread and sandwich fixings dude. You could probably get everything you need at a gas station if you had to.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

A lot of grocery stores deliver or offer delivery right now because of COVID. If you have Door Dash you probably have Instacart. Amazon will deliver you groceries from Whole Foods.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Cheese Thief posted:

Chemmy posted:

A lot of grocery stores deliver or offer delivery right now because of COVID. If you have Door Dash you probably have Instacart. Amazon will deliver you groceries from Whole Foods.

:doh: I meant to recommend Instacart, not Door Dash. Instacart for groceries, the other for meals. Shows how often I use these things... our local grocery stores are usually calm enough that I just go w/ masks these days.

But yeah, if you want to go to the store with Uber/Lyft that's totally good too. Some grocery stores also do curbside pickup as mentioned, which would be super fast. Just make sure that they picked the right stuff... some places mix up herbs, think skim buttermilk is just as good as full fat, etc.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
I bought us a cheese to try called Stinking Bishop. It’s infamous. I like smelly cheese: It tastes better than it smells. Not this one. The smell is vile and it tastes as bad. Good manners prevents me from describing it. It’s one of the most disgusting things I’ve ever tasted.
My son (9) loves it. He just had a load of it on toast. We made him wash his hands afterwards.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Stinking Bishop should be comparatively mild in taste compared to the smell.

If it tastes genuinely rancid rather than creamy, that isn't a great sign, though if your son likes it's probably grand.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Enfys posted:

Stinking Bishop should be comparatively mild in taste compared to the smell.

If it tastes genuinely rancid rather than creamy, that isn't a great sign, though if your son likes it's probably grand.

It literally tastes like poo poo with a cheesy aftertaste (or more accurately, how I imagine poo poo would taste). I suspect it’s very ripe.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
You're raising a coprophiliac

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

pile of brown posted:

You're raising a coprophiliac

Think of the savings!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

litany of gulps posted:

Think of the savings!

lmao! we prefer to think of it in green terms as "a second harvest" though