Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which lifepath will you take?
NOMAD (I like freedom)
STREET KID (I like the city)
CORPO (I like money)
I don't like labels
View Results

Slumpy
Jun 10, 2008

Zaphod42 posted:

You bolding "URGENTLY" is getting pretty creepy.

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Shammypants posted:

So one criticism was cool stuff (NPCs, street food vendors etc.) are all decorations and you can't interact with them meaningfully. I don't have a problem with that personally, but is anyone going to make (or making) a game that does things a little different? Like a much smaller map but almost everything can be interacted with? Every restaurant can be patronized.. movie theater watched.. street vendor talked to? Not every game needs to be super huge and expansive right? Maybe the super fast SSD approach of PS5 is the future, where you quickly go through a toll and that is the brief loading screen into a new area of full interactivity?

Wait, so is there no eating in this game? Wtf. Why does V not have a pork bun in his hand???

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

For if he like a madman lived,
At least he like a wise one died.

Endorph posted:

I mean, do you mean big tentpole AAA releases or all video games, ever.

I guess all, ever? Im asking for my own edification not to prove a point. I dont have a point!

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

A man who never eats pork buns is never a whole man

Theres your transhumanism

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Shammypants posted:

So one criticism was cool stuff (NPCs, street food vendors etc.) are all decorations and you can't interact with them meaningfully. I don't have a problem with that personally, but is anyone going to make (or making) a game that does things a little different? Like a much smaller map but almost everything can be interacted with? Every restaurant can be patronized.. movie theater watched.. street vendor talked to? Not every game needs to be super huge and expansive right? Maybe the super fast SSD approach of PS5 is the future, where you quickly go through a toll and that is the brief loading screen into a new area of full interactivity?

yeah. like i love my deep sim type poo poo but i dont think every rpg should be the Star citzen pitch. i play these games for dumb weird poo poo and violence and weird stories.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Shammypants posted:

I mean I think the closest thing extant in AAA is the yakuza ethos as said, though of course it's still far from what you're describing. The reality is putting that feature over everything else in a real project would make a really lovely game in terms of fun to effort expended and it would inevtiably be pared back (unless it's star citizen)

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

Combat Pretzel posted:

gently caress that game.

Actually, I can't even remember what it was about, except that I was loving pissed that there was a loading screen every one and a half rooms, because of the loving XBox. Even Liberty Island was cut into four sections, despite being freely explorable in its entirety in the previous game.

There was a legitimately cool and well-written subplot between the two warring coffeeshops (Pequod's and Queequeg's) having the same owner but offering the illusion of consumer choice, which nicely paralleled the main plot with the Order and the WTO. But the player character and all non-player characters had an IQ of 65, the engine sucked, the gameplay sucked, and worst of all, there was no stealth pistol that looked like a Spirit Halloween cigarette lighter

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
Game seems like a trainwreck at the moment, but posting about it with URGENTLY and a video of it looks like a dailymail article copy pasted into here.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Wait, so is there no eating in this game? Wtf. Why does V not have a pork bun in his hand???

I guess that one mediocre review on metacritic points to a couple of instances where you can't interact with street food vendors even though the food looks real with steam and everything and the vendor looks like an interesting character. There were other examples offered but it doesn't seem like a critical thing to code into the game.

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

can someone please just validate my opinion on the matter i really need a win

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Grem posted:

Oh trust me, I know, luckily Miles Morales Spider-Man let's you fall a thousand miles to your death and just role out of it.

immortals: fenyx rising, in which you play a very mortal character, allows you to survive unlimited falls if you have enough stamina to unfurl your wings a moment before impact.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
I mean, the takeaway I have thus far is:

- The game is deep in sidequest content that seems to be well written on average
- The game allows for multiple playstyles and doesn't lock you into choosing one (though you'd do better the more you stick with one, of course)
- The game is gorgeous...mostly.
- It's going to strain hardware, but if you have a graphics card < 2 years old you're fine for higher quality images. No one gets the HQ and 4K at the moment (though I don't have a 4K monitor, so meh)
- It's going to be buggy as hell. Some bugs observed may be corrected by Day 0 patch. CDPR are known for lavishing their games with more TLC than a Cameron's father to his ferrari, so it'll eventually even out.

Will it satisfy all the hype? lol, no. Will it Be Good™? Probably!

Dawn of the first day. 3 days remain.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

Shammypants posted:

I guess that one mediocre review on metacritic points to a couple of instances where you can't interact with street food vendors even though the food looks real with steam and everything and the vendor looks like an interesting character. There were other examples offered but it doesn't seem like a critical thing to code into the game.

I'm real pissed that I can't get pierogies in game tbh

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

OAquinas posted:

- The game is deep in sidequest content that seems to be well written on average
- The game allows for multiple playstyles and doesn't lock you into choosing one (though you'd do better the more you stick with one, of course)
- It's going to strain hardware, but if you have a graphics card < 2 years old you're fine for higher quality images. No one gets the HQ and 4K at the moment (though I don't have a 4K monitor, so meh)
- It's going to be buggy as hell. Some bugs observed may be corrected by Day 0 patch. CDPR are known for lavishing their games with more TLC than a Cameron's father to his ferrari, so it'll eventually even out.

i like this post thank you

Mr. Pool
Jul 10, 2001

Shammypants posted:

This is Disco Elysium

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah. like i love my deep sim type poo poo but i dont think every rpg should be the Star citzen pitch. i play these games for dumb weird poo poo and violence and weird stories.
If every game was a Star Citizen pitch, there wouldn't be any games.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

OAquinas posted:

yeah. it looks like this is CDPRs shot at making a new Vegas mixed with what worked in witcher 3 but set in a universe built for personal stories.

Vorik
Mar 27, 2014

Relax Or DIE posted:

probably the one that runs between 'comically uncritical' to 'free marketing for cdpr' op

Running interference for the fascist corpos. These bootlickers ought to be ashamed!

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

https://twitter.com/GamersNexus/status/1336066826233651202

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

If every game was a Star Citizen pitch, there wouldn't be any games.

yeah but i can play weird poo poo on GMOD and have the same experience.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
I feel pity for the poor fuckers who only have an Xbox One S to play this on. Everyone else (apart from maybe base PS4) will eventually get a decent game once it's been patched a lot, but that version is never going to run acceptably, I guarantee it.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Found first review with negative points I care about in Madqueen's channel: https://youtu.be/F5KFNfbD6fQ
Seems there's very large disparity in male/female nudity and sex workers representation. No male strippers, ffs.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Eimi posted:

I will use exactly one pistol like all the best sci fi characters played by Harrison Ford, and maybe some that aren't played by him. I also hope the game gives me the ability to summon pigeons on demand. Not to fight anyone, but so they can fly around dramatically.

Yeah I'm also planning on doing the single-pistol thing because its classy as hell and I'm going to be a Noir Detective and carrying 12 machineguns happens in enough games this one it feels right to just pack a single pocket gun.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
The Yakuza games aren't that great when it comes to interactivity. There are like twenty or so stores, but like most open world games, the majority of the world is just a backdrop. They do have moderately large crowds and feel like a real busy place, though.

Mr. Pool posted:

This is Disco Elysium

Disco Elysium got like five stores, and is even smaller in scope.

ymgve fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Dec 7, 2020

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Turin Turambar posted:

A final reflection for the day: Corporations are not your friend. I'm sure the game will have that message too, ironically, but it applies here in real life.
CDPR is a company, and as much as they like to go with the pro-consumer messaging, when poo poo hit the fan they didn't doubt in
a) not sending console versions for the review (who cares about not informing console buyers how is their version!)
b) not letting reviewers show their footage until release day
c) releasing a $60 game in a clearly beta-ish state.

as someone who works in the industry, your #1 bullet point should be "mandatory overtime for workers who are paid substandard wages"

Dpulex
Feb 26, 2013

Pylons posted:

Mankind Divided was actually good, which is the unfortunate part. It's just never going to get the followup that it obviously needed.

The bank level is still the best fps map thing years later

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Wicked Them Beats posted:

That's actually one of the more encouraging things I've heard about the story and your ability to impact it as the player.

Yeah that sounds like GOTY to me, if true

Vorik
Mar 27, 2014

How much of a performance hit could DRM software really be? Not sure how taxing those kinds of things are. I doubt it will affect benchmark results much.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

It's broken on purpose! :eng101:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I am excited for this game, but concerned by some of the things I have seen and read about. Really hoping launch day is a good first experience, i'm going to be sad if it's not after waiting so long for this title to finally come out. It's pretty much my dream open world sci-fi game.

Dilber
Mar 27, 2007

TFLC
(Trophy Feline Lifting Crew)

Vorik posted:

How much of a performance hit could DRM software really be? Not sure how taxing those kinds of things are. I doubt it will be affect performance much.

Denuvo is known to be pretty bad for it, and that was what they used.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

and god is on your side
dividing sparrows from the nightingales

Shammypants posted:

this is exclusively what Watch Dogs_Legion is and boy do I wish they'd cut 'play as anyone' down to 'play as like 25% of anyone' and then put actual missions in the game

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Vorik posted:

How much of a performance hit could DRM software really be? Not sure how taxing those kinds of things are. I doubt it will be affect performance much.

I have no idea in this specific case but things like RAGE 2 ran much better with cracks evidently compared to with DRM at launch.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

ymgve posted:

The Yakuza games aren't that great when it comes to interactivity. There are like twenty or so stores, but like most open world games, the majority of the world is just a backdrop. They do have moderately large crowds and feel like a real busy place, though.

its also uses side quests to expand the world and the characters and increase run time. you can mainline yakuza games pretty quick if you stick to it do nothing elese.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

They are talking about Denovu, the performance claim is false in this case.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
I think the reality is that lots of people SAY they want insanely high immersion and fidelity, but in reality they'd just poke their head into one building, say "cool" and then go do the quests

The actual number of people who are insane enough to want lifelike fidelity is REALLY low

I mean, I'd love it. I've been designing a game like that in my head for the past year, a game where you discover stories and plots by just going to bars and hanging out watching bands or whatever, and you have conversations built ad-hoc by integrating choices other players have made so that you're never actually certain if you're talking to a real person, a completely scripted NPC, or a dynamically crafted mix of both

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

CRAYON posted:

I love Jeff Gerstmann. It's amazing how the man can just say words about a thing and people translate it into scathing hate.

Wish I had that power.

Rent free. He's so good.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Vorik posted:

Quite a lot, if it's not well-implemented - and it's Denuvo which is well-known for degrading performance.
About the only way to get good performance with something like this would be to implement it using dtrace on Windows 10, but that's not available out-of-the-box.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

alex314 posted:

Found first review with negative points I care about in Madqueen's channel: https://youtu.be/F5KFNfbD6fQ
Seems there's very large disparity in male/female nudity and sex workers representation. No male strippers, ffs.

“You do need a horny art director who is into men...” to get the design right both ways. Heh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Simone Magus posted:

I think the reality is that lots of people SAY they want insanely high immersion and fidelity, but in reality they'd just poke their head into one building, say "cool" and then go do the quests

The actual number of people who are insane enough to want lifelike fidelity is REALLY low

I mean, I'd love it. I've been designing a game like that in my head for the past year, a game where you discover stories and plots by just going to bars and hanging out watching bands or whatever, and you have conversations built ad-hoc by integrating choices other players have made so that you're never actually certain if you're talking to a real person, a completely scripted NPC, or a dynamically crafted mix of both

For those people there are usually mods made by other crazy people that want the same thing too.