Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which lifepath will you take?
NOMAD (I like freedom)
STREET KID (I like the city)
CORPO (I like money)
I don't like labels
View Results

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Vorik posted:

How much of a performance hit could DRM software really be? Not sure how taxing those kinds of things are. I doubt it will affect benchmark results much.

It's Denuvo, so quite alot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
Is this just an RPG like the Witcher but with guns and neon lights, or is it really a Deus Ex style immersive sim where you can creatively engineer your own solutions to problems and any given mission can be solved lots of different ways because the world has been designed open-ended enough for that to be possible?

Also is that absurd video from a page or so back where the enemy noclip walks through the air and 4-shots you after barely flinching from you dumping multiple straight into his face the norm in this game? Because that's like... Fallout 76 level bad. Has the game been zoned with hard-coded level enemies like an MMO or something?

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Dec 7, 2020

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

I said come in! posted:

They are talking about Denovu, the performance claim is false in this case.

With VM packers like Denuvo it depends on which parts of the executable get transformed, they're supposed to carefully mark out non-performance-critical sections to be DRMed but for a press-only release I could see them half assing that and letting it insert checks wherever

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

OAquinas posted:

I mean, the takeaway I have thus far is:

- The game is deep in sidequest content that seems to be well written on average
- The game allows for multiple playstyles and doesn't lock you into choosing one (though you'd do better the more you stick with one, of course)
- The game is gorgeous...mostly.
- It's going to strain hardware, but if you have a graphics card < 2 years old you're fine for higher quality images. No one gets the HQ and 4K at the moment (though I don't have a 4K monitor, so meh)
- It's going to be buggy as hell. Some bugs observed may be corrected by Day 0 patch. CDPR are known for lavishing their games with more TLC than a Cameron's father to his ferrari, so it'll eventually even out.

Will it satisfy all the hype? lol, no. Will it Be Good™? Probably!

Dawn of the first day. 3 days remain.

Yeah that seems like the takeaways so far.

Also, 2 days remain :dance: we're only like 48 hours out now!

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Dapper_Swindler posted:

its also uses side quests to expand the world and the characters and increase run time. you can mainline yakuza games pretty quick if you stick to it do nothing elese.

Oh, there won't be a lack of side quests in 2077.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I doubt it made sense to implement it well considering it was solely to keep reviewers from leaking the game. Sucks but it's reality

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Vorik posted:

How much of a performance hit could DRM software really be? Not sure how taxing those kinds of things are. I doubt it will affect benchmark results much.
To further illustrate Denuvo performance issues, there's this.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

ymgve posted:

Oh, there won't be a lack of side quests in 2077.

oh i know. and alot of them tie into getting better/"better" endings.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Reminder for American goons buying this on Xbox, you can play at like 5am pacific time this Wednesday by switching your console region to New Zealand.

TwoHeadedDeer
Nov 24, 2020

I will be made a new creature, one bright day

Bardeh posted:

I feel pity for the poor fuckers who only have an Xbox One S to play this on. Everyone else (apart from maybe base PS4) will eventually get a decent game once it's been patched a lot, but that version is never going to run acceptably, I guarantee it.

worse than the base xbox one? what's specific about the S that would cause this?

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

GreatGreen posted:

Is this just an RPG like the Witcher but with guns and neon lights, or is it really a Deus Ex style immersive sim where you can creatively engineer your own solutions to problems and any given mission can be solved lots of different ways because the world has been designed open-ended enough for that to be possible?

Pretty Deus Ex-y by a lot of accounts.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

GreatGreen posted:

Also is that absurd video where the enemy noclips through the air and 4-shots you after you dump multiple mags into his face the norm in this game? Because that's like... Fallout 76 level bad.

Closer to the first than the second but not entirely unlike the second.

I said come in! posted:

Reminder for American goons buying this on Xbox, you can play at like 5am pacific time this Wednesday by switching your console region to New Zealand.

And all PC goons everywhere get this without any VPN trickery at all :)

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Shammypants posted:

“You do need a horny art director who is into men...” to get the design right both ways. Heh

Square manages to get it right with making hot men and putting them out there. If this game is beefed up soldier looking dudes what's the point? You're telling me no one wants to be Cloud Strife?! :argh:

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...

Bardeh posted:

I feel pity for the poor fuckers who only have an Xbox One S to play this on. Everyone else (apart from maybe base PS4) will eventually get a decent game once it's been patched a lot, but that version is never going to run acceptably, I guarantee it.

https://twitter.com/Zimm804/status/1335602672020361216

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Tech jesus has spoken

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

repiv posted:

With VM packers like Denuvo it depends on which parts of the executable get transformed, they're supposed to carefully mark out non-performance-critical sections to be DRMed but for a press-only release I could see them half assing that and letting it insert checks wherever
They're full of poo poo, demonstrably so.

Even dtrace, which is an entire virtual machine implemented for the sole purpose of doing machine-wide tracing on very busy production systems, and which has been worked on for decades, measurably degrades performance if you ask it to trace the wrong things.
Since anti-tampering technologies relies on tracing everything, it'll undoubtedly trace the wrong things.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

yeah its hosed on Base consoles.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Hahaha no loving way, that’s gotta be a pc running everything on low right?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

https://twitter.com/GermanStrands/status/1336014953640325128?s=20

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
I think The Elder Scrolls 3-5 comest closest to the "all buildings are enterable in an open world" idea. Of course, this leads to prefab houses where the only difference is the items placed inside, and a generally smaller scope, but it does a lot in terms of that "you can go anywhere" feeling.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

History Comes Inside! posted:

Any non b-roll footage of the game in the wild right now is from leaked console copies to my knowledge

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
*plays game like it is GTA*

hmmm...this seems a little too much like GTA :thunk:

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Shammypants posted:

I guess that one mediocre review on metacritic points to a couple of instances where you can't interact with street food vendors even though the food looks real with steam and everything and the vendor looks like an interesting character. There were other examples offered but it doesn't seem like a critical thing to code into the game.

As someone who adored RDR2, one of the things that really stuck with me was the ability to poo poo talk every single NPC. Even if you couldn’t do anything else with someone, that little bit of interactivity made the world immersive on a level I’ve felt lacking in just about every game I’ve played since.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Shammypants posted:

“You do need a horny art director who is into men...” to get the design right both ways. Heh

Seems like a weird omission on CDPR side. And if the dead dude in the bathtub is really the only person with shorts on then it will get really weird. Hard to believe dicks on NPCs are enough to push the game to AO ranking.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

ymgve posted:

I think The Elder Scrolls 3-5 comest closest to the "all buildings are enterable in an open world" idea. Of course, this leads to prefab houses where the only difference is the items placed inside, and a generally smaller scope, but it does a lot in terms of that "you can go anywhere" feeling.

That or MMOs. Everquest, World of Warcraft, they tend to actually have all buildings or very close to it be enterable.

Course they're mostly the same 3 buildings copy and pasted over and over and over...

I was disappointed in GTA5 that it had fewer interiors than GTA4, but I don't need EVERY building to be enterable. Its a bit much to demand.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

Bardeh posted:

the one S will do as "fine" as the base ps4/slim, its the original xbox one that is probably going to struggle more.

Slumpy
Jun 10, 2008
liberal crime squad fits the bill for an rpg where you can go into any building and do something meaningful, though you have to be a fan of ASCII psuedo-comedy games with a gang management twist (i am). It's made by the dude who does dwarf fortress and was abandoned like 10 years ago but has had updates done by the bay12 community since then

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

No Mods No Masters posted:

Any non b-roll footage of the game in the wild right now is from leaked console copies to my knowledge

Also, while it definitely sucks on base consoles, that is a loving Twitter video, which degrades quality to poop

Zaphod42 posted:

That or MMOs. Everquest, World of Warcraft, they tend to actually have all buildings or very close to it be enterable.

Course they're mostly the same 3 buildings copy and pasted over and over and over...

I was disappointed in GTA5 that it had fewer interiors than GTA4, but I don't need EVERY building to be enterable. Its a bit much to demand.

Yeah, the illusion is more important than if you actually can do it. I like that devs have started to use that Spider-man effect to make it look like every building has rooms behind their windows, which gives a lot more depth in the world.

ymgve fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Dec 7, 2020

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

https://twitter.com/GamersNexus/status/1336066826233651202

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

wow thats bad

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Stuff that's apparently like Deus Ex:

Viability of sneaking & hacking, multiple paths through missions
Lethal & nonlethal options, quiet & loud combat options
Augs Cyberware
Melee combat that feels meh :v:

Stuff apparently more like W3

Main story & side quest structure
More open world instead of hub-based
More elaborate attribute/skill system than any Deus Ex games
1,000,000 more dress-up options

FallenGod
May 23, 2002

Unite, Afro Warriors!

Vorik posted:

Denuvo has a measurable but minor impact; outside of cases where you're extremely CPU bound it isn't likely to be noticeable or the main bottleneck on performance.

It's basically a plea not to benchmark the game until the ~real~ patch on day one. We'll see how much that matters, but historically the myth of the day one patch is just that.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
I mean it's a bit worrying that one review compares the hacking options unfavorably to Watch Dogs. That's a yikes.

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 30 days!

History Comes Inside! posted:

Most of the weirdness looks like things that would be broken on any platform and not console specific. E.g. stiff animations. It’s hard to tell though because Twitter (at least for me) loves to serve up the first 30 seconds of a video compressed to hell.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

alex314 posted:

Hard to believe dicks on NPCs are enough to push the game to AO ranking.

A lot of rating agencies have historically been much stricter about frontal male nudity than equivalent female nudity, I believe. It’s patriarchical bullshit, but it could be the case in PEGI or whatever as well.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

I know I'm supposed to be focusing on the bad textures and pop-in on that video but all I can do is drool :allears: at how amazing that city street and all the skyscrapers look and how I can't wait to jack a car and just do donuts around town

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Celexi posted:

wow thats bad

tbh other then the wonky animations it seems fine?

like not crystal clear beautiful but sure?

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

this is an old leak from before the patch but who cares

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

why does this have 4k likes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Simone Magus posted:

I mean it's a bit worrying that one review compares the hacking options unfavorably to Watch Dogs. That's a yikes.

I mean there are two entirely different hacking skill trees plus augs and poo poo to play with, so it's hard how to see that's worse than PHONE IS MAGIC LOL