Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
Oscar Special 7 gifs from the other thread. So good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Wonder if the next Oscar Special will be a live divorce.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Detective No. 27 posted:

Wonder if the next Oscar Special will be a live divorce.

No way, she's the one

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

derp posted:

tim bursting in, spraying mace on the host, claiming the deep state is going to arrest everyone at the Oscars in 30 minutes and having a big countdown to nothing, then in the end finding out that he blanked all the tapes in the vfa cause he was wearing a vest of magnets
This isn’t the Our Cinema Oscar special that he was talking about. Our Cinema is the one with a Gregg, Mark and a white board while Tim is on tour in Dubai. Tim does call in though. You’re talking about The New On Cinema Oscar Special.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy

Fritzler posted:

This isn’t the Our Cinema Oscar special that he was talking about. Our Cinema is the one with a Gregg, Mark and a white board while Tim is on tour in Dubai. Tim does call in though. You’re talking about The New On Cinema Oscar Special.

oh wow, an oscar special i haven't seen? im gunna have to look that up

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

gently caress it I'm watching through all of On Cinema again. I guess you could call me an On Cinema-head.

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

Detective No. 27 posted:

gently caress it I'm watching through all of On Cinema again. I guess you could call me an On Cinema-head.

you should dub them onto vhs while you do so.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Fritzler posted:

oh god!

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Detective No. 27 posted:

I wish they'd split the channel 5 marathon stream into T&E and On Cinema Streams.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

pixaal posted:

I wish they'd split the channel 5 marathon stream into T&E and On Cinema Streams.

I hadn't watched it in ~6 mos and spent most of Saturday night getting drunk watching a Check it Out! marathon. God bless the whole Channel 5 family.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Another Bill posted:

I hadn't watched it in ~6 mos and spent most of Saturday night getting drunk watching a Check it Out! marathon. God bless the whole Channel 5 family.

It's a good stream, but it's a pretty different mood to want to watch On Cinema vs T&E stuff if the wrong stuff is playing or they switch lanes it can be rather jarring, but when a block lines up it's great.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

derp posted:

oh wow, an oscar special i haven't seen? im gunna have to look that up

oh my god this is killing me, they can't go 2 minutes without something falling over

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!
Gregg is an amazing character. His fascination and fixation is either autism or betraying some extreme trauma that makes him cling to VHS movies. Likely both.

:smith:

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
He just enjoys movies and being part of the movie buff community.

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

steinrokkan posted:

He just enjoys movies and being part of the movie buff community.

Well, at least the real movie buffs.

The Academy has dropped the ball too many times for my tastes. Mr. Jackson is waiting!

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I do wonder how or where the Tim Heidecker character met the Gregg Turkington character before inviting him on his Podcast as a movie buff

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

*empty bottle remix playing*

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Greg is really believable as that guy that just sits at home and watches movies all day and has nothing else to talk about because of that. He dives deeper and deeper into movies and fell in love with the warm fuzzy uncertainty, the mystery is gone in the crystal clarity of Betamax, he was successful in ridding the world of it be careful of Gregg he's been trying to do the same with digital there's just a lot more computers out there.

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!
You just reminded me of his (and poor Mark’s) battles with the police over selling bootleg copies of A Star is Born.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

19 o'clock posted:

You just reminded me of his (and poor Mark’s) battles with the police over selling bootleg copies of A Star is Born.

A Star is Born is in the public domain. The cops were wrong.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

It'll rule when on cinema lasts longer than the movie industry

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Gregg's total misunderstanding of how public domain works is amazing.

What I want to know is why Tim ('s character) decided to do a movie review show when he clearly does not care about movies. He's always using the show to promote his real passions which are his current vanity projects or scams.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

He was interested in the idea of doing a movie show (probably for its youtube-celebrity status potential), for about as long as any of his fleeting interests lasts.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Yeah, Tim is a character who lives in a state of perennial fascination with the kind of guy he thinks he wants to be.

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

Anonymous Robot posted:

Yeah, Tim is a character who lives in a state of perennial fascination with the kind of guy he thinks he wants to be.

Perfect way to put it.

I think we all know someone like him. Mine was a bartender turned bar manager (by way of a rich uncle buying him a bar) turned concert promoter turned DJ turned motivational speaker turned used car salesman turned insurance salesman.

Each iteration is him listed as CEO of whatever venture he’s working on. Lots of “rise and grind” and “Monday motivation” posts and then just him going to concerts all week to “network”.

No joke the dude I’m talking about even tanked an existing festival that his company took over. It fails because he didn’t get permits and he owes money to EVERYONE now because he didn’t have festival insurance. Even before it failed the days leading up to the event were frantic Facebook posts of “who has a trailer I can borrow?” or “anybody have any generators i can use?”

Typing this out I remember it all happened right after Fyre and while I was watching the trial of Tim Heidecker.

Suddenly he’s broke and burned all of his bridges and the world’s out to get him and it’s a huge conspiracy against him how everything he touches keeps turning to ash.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

An unsung corollary to the Dunning-Kruger effect is that when one such venture fails (due to the DKE), someone else will invariably think "Well he only failed because he's an idiot! I on the other hand, am smart and will do it better!"

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

OC Tim is definitely the kind of guy that is trying to find his ticket to success/money/authority by any means, but all he can do is chase waves that have already broken. He's the aimless middle aged guy who decides to make a movie review podcast without having expertise or even an interest. He's your burnout cousin that quietly gives up on becoming a realtor months after showing you pictures of the boat he's going to buy on his smashed up iphone. He's the president of the united states

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Detective No. 27 posted:

What I want to know is why Tim ('s character) decided to do a movie review show when he clearly does not care about movies. He's always using the show to promote his real passions which are his current vanity projects or scams.

If you go back to the original podcast, it originally was solely about movies. Both characters are relatively straight. Then there's an episode where out of nowhere, the Tim we know and love emerges, I think from some panic over Obama selling uranium to Putin or the like. So I think it makes sense that OC Tim began as a guy who was just into movies and then got redpilled, and that was the start of his entire life falling apart over the course of On Cinema.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

At the very beginning it felt very Tom Goes to the Mayor -esque, in that Tim was the long-suffering straight man and Gregg was this obsessive weirdo who didn't actually know anything much to Tim's frustration.

I started from the beginning long after the "real" On Cinema had gotten into its full stride and people were like :stare: at the impression I had after like the first 5 episodes

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Either tim or gregg said in an OOC interview that the podcast started as a parody of podcasts in general and how the market was flooded with people who just had absolutely nothing to say. It's rooted in that core T&E theme of LA just being a sad desperate place

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
ive never listened to the podcast, is it worth it to start from the beginning already knowing their shennanigans on the youtube show?

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
well i'm doing it anyway and omg their disagreement about startrek 2 goes all the way back to the podcast haha

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Nearly choked on dinner hearing Gregg indignantly saying "I would not cast Bill Murray as Osama Bin Laden."

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

derp posted:

well i'm doing it anyway and omg their disagreement about startrek 2 goes all the way back to the podcast haha

Where can I find the podcast these days?

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

Detective No. 27 posted:

Nearly choked on dinner hearing Gregg indignantly saying "I would not cast Bill Murray as Osama Bin Laden."

It needed to be said! On the record.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Where can I find the podcast these days?

i'm listening here https://soundcloud.com/on-cinema-podcast

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

https://www.oncinematimeline.com for all your movie recommendations