Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

This is the absolute best chance you’ll get to start building those boundaries, you don’t need to make excuses and you’re doing the morally correct thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

So my mom's best friend's youngest kid, who I've known since he was born in 1989 and we were raised together like cousins, unfriended me on Facebook because I'm a sheep who thinks covid is a big deal and an idiot for stressing the importance of mask-wearing.

They all just keep picking themselves off, it's amazing. Ive been reluctant to remove any of them because I thought it would create a ton of drama, and apparently it's fine. I don't even have to do anything other than just be myself and care about the safety of others!

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Sisal Two-Step posted:

I keep daydreaming about the few years I spent in Korea and how nice it was to have so much distance between myself and my family.

One of the reasons I love being an ESL Teacher is not only that I get to live a continent away from my parents, but that it is an iron-clad reason to which they cannot reasonably complain..

edit:

Picnic Princess posted:

So my mom's best friend's youngest kid, who I've known since he was born in 1989 and we were raised together like cousins, unfriended me on Facebook because I'm a sheep who thinks covid is a big deal and an idiot for stressing the importance of mask-wearing.

They all just keep picking themselves off, it's amazing. Ive been reluctant to remove any of them because I thought it would create a ton of drama, and apparently it's fine. I don't even have to do anything other than just be myself and care about the safety of others!
It's good when the toxic people in your life choose to separate themselves from you without forcing you to do anything. I had a similar situation with my Uncle, who decided to basically cut himself off from the family after my Grandmother died. It was all for the best, and we are happier without him, and I hope he is happier without us. It means I have two teenage cousins I have never met, but so long as they are leading happy lives then it's all good.

BrigadierSensible fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Dec 4, 2020

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos

Sisal Two-Step posted:

I wish I was better at standing up to my family. Especially my mom. She wants to come up this weekend for our annual Christmas cookie baking get-together, even though I live in a red zone and we are technically in lock down. I was only tentatively okay with her coming to visit because she doesn't go anywhere or have any friends, but I found out during a call today that she's attending some kind of cookie exchange in her office next Friday? I felt like I didn't have time to process it.

I don't know what to do. I wish I'd said something or established some kind of precedence where I have a spine when I deal with her. It didn't used to be such an issue when it was just me I was hurting, but now I've got a partner.

This is awful but sometimes I wish my parents were worse people, if that makes sense. They both love and support me but they are both just so... terrible at handling their emotional problems. My partner said it seems like I'm expected to carry all their baggage and every time I try to give it back to them, they make me feel guilty for it. I keep daydreaming about the few years I spent in Korea and how nice it was to have so much distance between myself and my family.
This is a really bad situation because it feels like they're not horrible enough to leave, but the longer you stay around the more you're affected. It's like someone keeps feeding you poisoned food, but they really don't mean to, and they really want to make sure you are well-fed. They're cooking this food because they care about you, but they can't prevent the poison from getting into the food. And you feel like you have to eat it because they're taking care of you even though it's hurting you too.

But . . . they really are capable of preventing poison from getting into the food. They're adults. They're capable of learning cooking hygiene and safety. They just choose not to. They choose to make unhealthy food for you to eat. They've been feeding it to you since you were a child.

I literally was just reading this:

quote:

“This is going to be hard. Because I know they do good things. They are not 100% bad.”

Very few people are 100% bad. Cartoon villains have twisty mustaches. Bluebeard had, well, a big blue beard.

Smart toxic people realize they need people, for good and bad reasons. So they find ways to get their hooks into people. They’re nice to them, charming, fun. Some even help people out when they can.

Then, smart toxic people see their victim is hooked. And then they can feed off the victim. And the victim will think this toxic person is a safe person because that’s their friend, or family. The victim tries to excuse the toxic behavior and tell themselves it isn’t that bad. The victim feels Fear, Obligation and / or Guilt- the FOG.

Anyway. I don't mean to dump a lot of stuff on you. The issue right now is that you're not comfortable with your mom coming over and it might actually be dangerous for her to come over. She might not be able to see that, but that doesn't mean you have to let her put you in danger. You're allowed to cancel. (And you're allowed to lie and say you have a cold or something if you don't feel like you can stand up to your mother right now.)

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins

trickybiscuits posted:

(And you're allowed to lie and say you have a cold or something if you don't feel like you can stand up to your mother right now.)

One of the more liberating lessons I learned in life is that it's much healthier to lie to others than to oneself.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
Yeah honestly, I'd lie. It's good to have firm boundaries and sick to them but that takes energy, and this time of year, this year in particular, I'm not judging anybody for cutting what social corners they can when it comes to preserving their own peace of mind. Just say you've got the worst diarrhea possible and now your whole house stinks like poo poo and you feel awful. Nobody wants to see that.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Huntersoninski posted:

Yeah honestly, I'd lie. It's good to have firm boundaries and sick to them but that takes energy, and this time of year, this year in particular, I'm not judging anybody for cutting what social corners they can when it comes to preserving their own peace of mind. Just say you've got the worst diarrhea possible and now your whole house stinks like poo poo and you feel awful. Nobody wants to see that.

Okay, so I tried this once and then had to spend nearly an hour justifying why I don't want someone around while I'm making GBS threads myself stupid. IT TOOK AN HOUR TO CONVINCE SOMEONE THEY DIDN'T WANT TO HANG OUT WHILE I WAS (granted lying) BLASTING POOP OUT OF MY BUTTHOLE.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Thing is with toxic people, there's ones who it's surprisingly easy to lie to and will accept whatever excuse, and there's ones who will just take almost anything as an invitation.

Having siblings more socially adept than me is a fun experience. Turns out my mother, an otherwise toxic influence and generally hilariously bad at any form of communication unless there's others around who might question her, is incredibly easy to fool.

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins

Literally A Person posted:

Okay, so I tried this once and then had to spend nearly an hour justifying why I don't want someone around while I'm making GBS threads myself stupid. IT TOOK AN HOUR TO CONVINCE SOMEONE THEY DIDN'T WANT TO HANG OUT WHILE I WAS (granted lying) BLASTING POOP OUT OF MY BUTTHOLE.

This is where I'd start asking why they want to smell my poop so bad and tell them to stop being a weirdo.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Tin Can Hit Man posted:

This is where I'd start asking why they want to smell my poop so bad and tell them to stop being a weirdo.

Listen buddy, I already get a constant stream of guilt-tripping I don't need to add any more logs to that fire.

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins

Listen buddy, I already get a constant stream of guilt-tripping I don't need to add any more logs to that fire.

Oh no, don't do that to yourself.

I'm speaking for myself here.

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Haha

Post the most messed up thing you've done to maintain your space

Married a girl they didn't like

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now

Yeah I was operating under the assumption that this was a "not the most horrible" kind of relationship where an excuse like that might just work. Obviously everyone knows their own folks best. Hell see if you can rope a friend into helping you out - maybe their "car got a flat" on the highway and you're not even home now, don't bother coming up, you're gonna have to wait with your friend at the mechanic.

cinnamon rollout
Jun 12, 2001

The early bird gets the worm

Epitope posted:

Haha

Moved to the opposite end of the continent

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I'm honestly not sure whether to consider it worse that dumb and half-hearted excuses will work.

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

Epitope posted:

Haha

moved to Canada

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Epitope posted:

Haha

As stated, moved out with my first boyfriend who I'd only been dating for a few months when we were both 17.

Ironic that the only dump 2 kids could afford was across the alley from my mom's workplace :lol:

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Literally A Person fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Dec 4, 2020

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos

What the hell is wrong with people!

ElHuevoGrande
May 21, 2006

Oh. . .

Epitope posted:

Haha

Joined the Navy. Signed up for duty every Thanksgiving for six years, claimed it lasted for 12 hours and that I wasn't allowed to use a phone during.

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins

Samesies. :j::hf::v:

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Took the offer from the school farthest from home that accepted me because I knew if I didn't I would obviously be the rear end in a top hat for not wanting to come home every single weekend.

Worst decision ever for my career, best decision ever for my sanity.

blossommirage
Nov 7, 2012

Epitope posted:

Haha

Moved to Belgium.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.

cinnamon rollout posted:

Moved to the opposite end of the continent

also, failed classes on purpose so i’d be sent to summer school

Zoesdare
Sep 24, 2005

Still floofin

Epitope posted:

Haha

I moved 45 minutes away, and when that didn’t work I moved two hours away, and when that didn’t work, I moved six hours away... I’ve now moved halfway across the continent and it seems to have finally done the trick.

I also quit speaking with my mother at my wedding reception. My maid of honor gladly accepted the responsibility of dealing with her and I would just say, “Oh, I need to go over there,” and walk away every time she tried to yell at me for how we were all doing it wrong.

I’m a bad judge but I’d say both of those things are pretty messed up.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

The Atlantic's 'Dear Therapist' column had this one today:

quote:

Dear Therapist,

My husband and I are both successful professionals. He’s an attorney and I’m a nurse practitioner. Each of us came from a fairly lower-middle-class background and worked hard to get where we are. Our families helped us as much as they could, but for the most part we are self-made.

The hard part is our kids. Our son struggled with some mental-health issues in high school. He was a national merit scholar and eventually graduated from college. He’s now obese, working for minimum wage, and living with his polyamorous nonbinary partner of 11 years. He’s angry at us. We say nothing much of consequence to him and see them often and have a pleasant enough time.

Our daughter is also angry at us. She excelled in everything she did in high school and college, but had a serious rift with her sorority senior year and an abusive boyfriend; she moved to Seattle to be a barista and declared herself pansexual. She spends eight hours a day on Twitter railing at our homophobia and our control of her life.

We never supported our children financially after college. Our son never asked, and after a few rent bailouts after our daughter’s boyfriend left, we told her she needed to live within her means.

We are thinking about retirement. We are sad for both of them, who are now 33 and 25. Should we help them financially? Buy them condos, pay for more schooling, get them cars? It seems like the majority of our friends have done this for their kids, and their relationships are better.

Our kids were raised very frugally compared with their friends. They worked, did chores, and didn’t have any of the latest electronics. But they did have love, picnics, hiking, camping, vacations, games, and books. We gave them tons of time and experiences. We supported their passion for music and horses and art.

We’re torn between having a conversation with them and maintaining the status quo. We’re trying to adjust to likely not having grandkids and our kids continuing on with their sad jobs for the rest of their lives. Any advice?

'Neither of our adult kids like us. Should we throw money at them?'

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay
Goddamn there's a lot going on in between the lines there.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Explicitly mentioning the kids’ sexualities when it’s not relevant to the story is a huge red flag.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.

big dyke energy posted:

Goddamn there's a lot going on in between the lines there.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

I like that they know and state the issue clearly (their homophobia) and then walk right past it.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

whydirt posted:

Explicitly mentioning the kids’ sexualities when it’s not relevant to the story is a huge red flag.

I was just thinking that!

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

whydirt posted:

It is relevant. To the letter writer's mind, they're just another example of the kids' failures.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Epitope posted:

Haha

Volunteered for a war deployment.

Twice.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

Pththya-lyi posted:

It is relevant. To the letter writer's mind, they're just another example of the kids' failures.

Right? “We tried so hard, but they still turned out broken! Halp!”

ElHuevoGrande
May 21, 2006

Oh. . .

GORDON posted:

Volunteered for a war deployment.

Twice.

Forgot about this one. I tried for an IA deployment to Afghanistan, but too many people in my rating volunteered and they had more skills than someone fresh out of A school.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

BUT OUR SON IS GAY AND FAT
Wow, that rules, sorry you're lovely parents tho

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Pththya-lyi posted:

I agree. Also note that they don't say why the kids are mad at them, (apart from the daughter calling them out on their homophobia).

What I read is that these parents are always going on about "You could have been a lawyer, you were so bright in highschool. You were such a handsome boy, but now you are fat and marrried to someone we disapprove of. A barista? You had so much potential." And whilst they say they never offered money, I bet they do all the time in passive and condescending ways. Coz their big idea is to buy stuff for their kids, who seem to be doing OK and living, whilst not luxurious, but normal lives.

number 1 snake fan
Jul 16, 2018

Mx. posted:

BUT OUR SON IS GAY AND FAT
Wow, that rules, sorry you're lovely parents tho

Hell yeah

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

I wonder what % of estrangements are parents not being able to accept their queer and/or former gifted children. My guess is "extremely high".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

Picnic Princess posted:

I wonder what % of estrangements are parents not being able to accept their queer and/or former gifted children. My guess is "extremely high".
I learned before grade school to protect any information about myself I knew I could shelter from them. EVERYTHING eventually became grist for abuse, so it was a mirage of dutiful attention protecting the terrified inside client against all comers.