Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which lifepath will you take?
NOMAD (I like freedom)
STREET KID (I like the city)
CORPO (I like money)
I don't like labels
View Results

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Because this thread has been... lively enough, I didn't think on looking elsewhere, but I see now reddit has a review thread with 7050+ comments already lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002
I made a video awhile back about some of my favorite futuristic/cyberpunk games to play while waiting if we're looking at recommendations.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJVz8ACgGGk

Was pleasantly surprised by Cloudpunk, even though it might be a bit too chill for some people.

As for CP2077, I'm looking forward to it. I thought about doing a deep dive analysis review of the game when it comes out but, man, I kind of just want to roam around a big city for a bit. I'm sure it will have issues, but I loved Witcher 3 and didn't even really care about the main story at all in that. Just give me a cool world and sidequests to explore, and I'll probably be happy.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

stev posted:

It's going to be the TLOU2 of 2020. :(

An extremely well polished experience that challenges gamers' notions of right and wrong?

It definitely is not gonna be that lol

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Starks posted:

is this the full preload or is there gonna be a 40 gig patch? My poor slow internet :(

Count on a day 1 patch.

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Pulcinella posted:

Cyberpunk may top it, but I think no game has had its well of discussion poisoned more than TLOU2. It’s basically impossible to talk about between the chuds and complaints about poo poo that’s not actually in the game.

My complaint is 100% in the game

*pout*

Vorik
Mar 27, 2014

my notions of right and wrong.. forever changed by a video game

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

Slumpy posted:

Cyberpunk 2077: who cares

Based on your post, it appears you do.

drat people you posted a lot while I whittled some talk away playing Hades (seriously if Cyberpunk 2077 does nothing for you try this, even if it does still try it) and it's pretty much everything expected. Kind of a wild ride.

Oh and as for SkillUp it was about a year ago, I was going to say on this forum but maybe another, some people basically showed some of the stuff from the second channel he does with his bro and yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah.

It was really disappointing. Though for the life of me I can't remember the specifics but if you dig around you'll probably see.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

GoG refund policy seems real good by the way:

Hmm I might just have to refund the Steam version and get the GoG version.

Yes that would be the third switch in one day. But that would give a lot more time to see and experiment with GeForce now and how works with my TV and being able to run an Ethernet cable from a computer...since bizarrely the old MacBook Pro doesn’t have an Ethernet card...which is insane. But eh it was my sisters and it was free.

So I take it there is no time limit on time played, right?

I swear I found a way to treat this like I’m setting up a Skyrim or Morrowind installation.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
Much of what the non-chuds argue about TLOU 2 is not on story or ingame.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Pulcinella posted:

Cyberpunk may top it, but I think no game has had its well of discussion poisoned more than TLOU2. It’s basically impossible to talk about between the chuds and complaints about poo poo that’s not actually in the game.

I just recently picked up the Last of Us Part II because it was on sale for 50% off, so I have been playing that. All of the complaints about the game pre-release were massively overblown or non-existent. In Cyberpunks case though we have video and screenshots from people who got the game early, that show that a lot of the concerns are real.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
I hate that I hate TLOU2, because there's just this expectation that you're some gamergater or some sort just on account of not liking the writing and a bunch of other stuff. Games sorting people into two teams is so frustrating, especially when there're still perfectly interesting discussions to be had regardless of your opinion.

ufarn fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Dec 8, 2020

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Vorik posted:

my notions of right and wrong.. forever changed by a video game

I said challenged. And you know, gently caress off dude. It's this lazy kind of "lol games aren't art lmao just imagine thinking a game is deep" shitposting that holds back game developers from even trying.

Like, books and films don't have this problem, but gamers are uniquely awful at appreciating the very artform they claim to enjoy

Slumpy
Jun 10, 2008

The Last Call posted:

Based on your post, it appears you do.

yeah im excited for it. im making fun of the "who cares" about criticism.

you can be excited for something and still make fun of it

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

ufarn posted:

I hate that I hate TLOU2, because there's just this expectation that you're some gamergater or some short just on account of not liking the writing and a bunch of other stuff. Games sorting people into two teams is so frustrating, especially when there're still perfectly interesting discussions to be had regardless of your opinion.

everything is two teams and it loving sucks

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

drat we still have 48 hours to go and the meltdowns are already nice. It's only going to get better from here

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Skyweir posted:

Genuinly curious about which games handle violence in the plot better
blaze union, a japan only strategy rpg for the psp. next question

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Simone Magus posted:

I said challenged. And you know, gently caress off dude. It's this lazy kind of "lol games aren't art lmao just imagine thinking a game is deep" shitposting that holds back game developers from even trying.

Like, books and films don't have this problem, but gamers are uniquely awful at appreciating the very artform they claim to enjoy

Books and films get complained about a lot for the mass appeal stuff being really superficial and shallow. For books its Ready Player One, and Harry Potter, for movies it's Marvel Cinematic Universe.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

No Mods No Masters posted:

drat we still have 48 hours to go and the meltdowns are already nice. It's only going to get better from here

The game launching in the middle of the day is gonna be weird. This thread is gonna get really spicy on Wednesday.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

Zaphod42 posted:

The game launching in the middle of the day is gonna be weird. This thread is gonna get really spicy on Wednesday.

I would prefer if it didn't!

Vorik
Mar 27, 2014

Simone Magus posted:

Now that's slander. There is no one on this green earth who appreciates the high art that is God Hand more than me.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme
After watching the double Jeff giantbomb discussion it seems like they both like the game, but the bugs are a serious empediment to fully enjoying the game. Jeff G. said he is invested in the main story and wants to see it through. I think it speaks to how good the story is given how many complaints he has and how many other games he bounces off of.

He even mentioned at the end that if he played the game after a few patches he would probably feel differently.

So it sounds like it's totally worth playing, but maybe wait for a few patches before playing it if it impacts your enjoyment of the game.

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

No Mods No Masters posted:

Waaaait, these are meltdowns?

I was promised real drama

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

after launch the thread will probably turn into an echo chamber of being angry at the videogame because everyone else will be playing it

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

rap music posted:

after launch the thread will probably turn into an echo chamber of being angry at the videogame because everyone else will be playing it

The TLOU2 thread was full of people that didn't even own a playstation arguing about the game, it was great.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

BrotherJayne posted:

Waaaait, these are meltdowns?

I was promised real drama

go to resetera for that. its only one thread left and it sounds like they might be banning discussions entirely outside said thread.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Pulcinella posted:

I also find it gross when none queer/trans folks bring up the "problematic issues with TLOU2" when at least one trans reviewer said while the dead naming stuff was a tad rough in context and how the character was handled was far better than they had expected and were fine with it. If said poster is among said groups I apologize, it's just something I see often as a way of criticizing the game because it can win social points versus is something they care about.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

There are video games where you can certainly have nuanced discussion about their characters and story, and be able to talk about problematic themes in them. Message boards, and Twitter are not the place for those discussions though. I talk about this stuff all the time, but it's with online friends on private Discords. It gets frustrating and tiring when you spend time putting in the emotional labor to explain a position and it gets shot down right away with the assumption that you've made a bad faith argument. While at the same time those people shouting you down have done nothing to contribute to the conversation.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

rap music posted:

I am expecting the PC tech support chat to drown out everything else.

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

I said come in! posted:

I am expecting the PC tech support chat to drown out everything else.

god i hope so

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

I said come in! posted:

I just recently picked up the Last of Us Part II because it was on sale for 50% off, so I have been playing that. All of the complaints about the game pre-release were massively overblown or non-existent. In Cyberpunks case though we have video and screenshots from people who got the game early, that show that a lot of the concerns are real.

TLOU2 spoilers: Your character gets beat to death while your ward is held down watching, screaming and crying

And then you're supposed to some how bond with the killer when you're swapped to playing as them

gently caress that

mod edit: don't spoil things from other games here

edit 2: Sorry mod!

BrotherJayne fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Dec 8, 2020

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

LionArcher posted:

I also find it gross when none queer/trans folks bring up the "problematic issues with TLOU2" when at least one trans reviewer said while the dead naming stuff was a tad rough in context and how the character was handled was far better than they had expected and were fine with it. If said poster is among said groups I apologize, it's just something I see often as a way of criticizing the game because it can win social points versus is something they care about.
wait

why does one trans person saying they're fine with it make that the default opinion everyone most hold? couldnt those non-queert/trans folk have seen a trans person talk about how they *weren't* fine with it. why is one second hand opinion better than the other.

Slumpy
Jun 10, 2008

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

I said come in! posted:

There are video games where you can certainly have nuanced discussion about their characters and story, and be able to talk about problematic themes in them. Message boards, and Twitter are not the place for those discussions though. I talk about this stuff all the time, but it's with online friends on private Discords. It gets frustrating and tiring when you spend time putting in the emotional labor to explain a position and it gets shot down right away with the assumption that you've made a bad faith argument. While at the same time those people shouting you down have done nothing to contribute to the conversation.

its also easier to get a point across and not misunderstand people or talk past in discord, forums by nature have a delay which makes mix ups easier. plus its easier to parse bad faith poo poo.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
in case of meltdown quote this post

gasman
Mar 21, 2013

hey now
It will just be Penis 1 vs 3 discussions post launch.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

BrotherJayne posted:

TLOU2 spoilers: Your character gets beat to death while your ward is held down watching, screaming and crying

And then you're supposed to some how bond with the killer when you're swapped to playing as them

gently caress that

mod edit: don't spoil things from other games here

lol its a game and he deserved it

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

Endorph posted:

wait

why does one trans person saying they're fine with it make that the default opinion everyone most hold? couldnt those non-queert/trans folk have seen a trans person talk about how they *weren't* fine with it. why is one second hand opinion better than the other.

So what you are saying is the opinion of the repressed group you like is only the one you like?

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
https://twitter.com/CyberpunkGame/status/1281594925612703744

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

blue squares posted:

lol its a game
Yes. An interactive medium wherein you associate with the character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

rap music posted:

god i hope so

I am expecting the Stadia tech support chat to drown out everything else.