Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which lifepath will you take?
NOMAD (I like freedom)
STREET KID (I like the city)
CORPO (I like money)
I don't like labels
View Results

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

and god is on your side
dividing sparrows from the nightingales

ufarn posted:

I hate that I hate TLOU2, because there's just this expectation that you're some gamergater or some sort just on account of not liking the writing and a bunch of other stuff. Games sorting people into two teams is so frustrating, especially when there're still perfectly interesting discussions to be had regardless of your opinion.

This was also true of new star wars until the last movie was so shockingly bad that literally no one liked it and everyone just kind of dropped it

That's right, im bringing star wars into this poo poo show of a prerelease thread :c00lbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ufarn
May 30, 2009

I said come in! posted:

There are video games where you can certainly have nuanced discussion about their characters and story, and be able to talk about problematic themes in them. Message boards, and Twitter are not the place for those discussions though. I talk about this stuff all the time, but it's with online friends on private Discords. It gets frustrating and tiring when you spend time putting in the emotional labor to explain a position and it gets shot down right away with the assumption that you've made a bad faith argument. While at the same time those people shouting you down have done nothing to contribute to the conversation.
Eh, I think goons are great for discussions, it's probably the most intelligent discussions I've seen of pop culture online. Obviously it becomes more difficult when you have die-hard fan communities and stuff like that, but looking at other boards, we don't seem to have to deal with console wars and all that nonsense.

Not saying this thread is going to be remarkably profound, but it's such an atypical thing anyway that I wouldn't make much of it in the grand scheme of things.

SA also doesn't feel as much like it used to where you could really sense a whole thread ganging up on people (unless they were extremely, remarkably asinine).

ufarn fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Dec 8, 2020

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

blue squares posted:

lol its a game and he deserved it

this. i liked joel and ellie and many of abbys friends are brutal shitheads(but everyone in the game is a brutal shitheads) but joel was a dumb rear end in a top hat who ruined a bunch of lives because he finally gave a poo poo about someone for selfish reasons.

i view the game like i view last jedi. i like parts and ideas/characters alot and i like it overall enough but it has a ton of issues and gets super defended by people who think anyone who has issues with it is a chud.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Dec 8, 2020

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

BrotherJayne posted:

TLOU2 spoilers: Your character gets beat to death while your ward is held down watching, screaming and crying

And then you're supposed to some how bond with the killer when you're swapped to playing as them

gently caress that

mod edit: don't spoil things from other games here

edit 2: Sorry mod!

Your character is Ellie, Joel is your character in a different game. You're playing as Ellie when Joel is killed. Also Joel was a piece of poo poo.

And the game doesn't expect you to 'bond' with Abby, it just explores who she is and why she did what she did. Both her and Ellie do brutal, disgusting, hosed up things and lose all sight of who they are or what they're actually fighting for.
It's a real good game.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Celexi posted:

So what you are saying is the opinion of the repressed group you like is only the one you like?
i genuinely cant parse this post at all

FallenGod
May 23, 2002

Unite, Afro Warriors!

BrotherJayne posted:

Yes. An interactive medium wherein you associate with the character.

All the playable characters in both games are mass murderers who have bad things happen to them as a result of their actions :shrug:

game good

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
The trans character in TLOU2 was really good in my opinion as an Actual Trans Person

But everyone is entitled to an opinion. If someone disliked the game or the issues in it, I can respect that, as their opinion existing does not diminish mine

Slumpy
Jun 10, 2008
man why are you guys bringing politics into this video game? i hate politics in video games!!!!!!!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

BrotherJayne posted:

Yes. An interactive medium wherein you associate with the character.

A significant number of video games are built on the idea that the character you are playing as if flawed or even a bad person. God knows people loved God of War to the point the primary complaint about the third game is that it tried to make Kratos sympathetic.

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Wolfsheim posted:

This was also true of new star wars until the last movie was so shockingly bad that literally no one liked it and everyone just kind of dropped it

That's right, im bringing star wars into this poo poo show of a prerelease thread :c00lbert:

TLJ seemed like a big waste of time

stev posted:

Your character is Ellie, Joel is your character in a different game. You're playing as Ellie when Joel is killed.

And the game doesn't expect you to 'bond' with Abby, it just explores who she is and why she did what she did. Both her and Ellie do brutal, disgusting, hosed up things and lose all sight of who they are or what they're actually fighting for.
It's a real good game.

Too late, I'd already accepted them as the PoV.

Maybe if they had started with some Abby stuff I could have felt something and connected to the character, but by the time you're stuffed into that toon, she was already the enemy, and I bounced hard off it. After quitting and seeing the end, I'm honestly glad I said gently caress it, continuing to trudge through that alternate PoV and having her get to walk via no choice of the player is just... special.

It's a beautiful game, with awesome mechanics and loads of work and interesting characters, thrown together in a lovely order.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

stev posted:

Your character is Ellie, Joel is your character in a different game. You're playing as Ellie when Joel is killed. Also Joel was a piece of poo poo.

It's a real good game.

Hard agree with all this, good post

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Slumpy posted:

man why are you guys bringing politics into this video game? i hate politics in video games!!!!!!!

I love politics in video games

Slumpy
Jun 10, 2008

Control Volume posted:

gently caress YOU

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

ImpAtom posted:

A significant number of video games are built on the idea that the character you are playing as if flawed or even a bad person. God knows people loved God of War to the point the primary complaint about the third game is that it tried to make Kratos sympathetic.

I'm tots fine playing flawed or bad people. Heck, I'm flawed and bad.

But if I woke up in the body of my worst enemy, I'd suck muzzle in a heartbeat

spiky butthole
May 5, 2014
Is there s foreskin bagginess slider?

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Endorph posted:

wait

why does one trans person saying they're fine with it make that the default opinion everyone most hold? couldnt those non-queert/trans folk have seen a trans person talk about how they *weren't* fine with it. why is one second hand opinion better than the other.

sorry, several trans folks I talked to plus a reviewer is more accurate to my experience, but if trans folks did have a problem with it that's perfectly valid too. I'm saying I saw people bring up the trans point (at least on twitter) that were not and trying to use it as a way of attacking the game and that seemed gross to me.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Control Volume posted:

lets go politics

Slumpy posted:

gently caress YOU

politics suck

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Wolfsheim posted:

Rey's death face was loving hilarious

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Control Volume posted:

:same:

any new fun leaks?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

BrotherJayne posted:

I'm tots fine playing flawed or bad people. Heck, I'm flawed and bad.

But if I woke up in the body of my worst enemy, I'd suck muzzle in a heartbeat

But you are not the protagonist. You are someone playing a video game. There are hundreds of video games built around the idea of two conflicting factions where you play both sides.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

LionArcher posted:

sorry, several trans folks I talked to plus a reviewer is more accurate to my experience, but if trans folks did have a problem with it that's perfectly valid too. I'm saying I saw people bring up the trans point (at least on twitter) that were not and trying to use it as a way of attacking the game and that seemed gross to me.
Would it have been gross if a cis person praised it for its trans representation?

ufarn
May 30, 2009

spiky butthole posted:

Is there s foreskin bagginess slider?
this isn't tolkien buddy

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

I didnt play tlou2 because that sort of miserable experience needs top notch writing that I doubt the game meets. This genre however I tolerate and even love really stupid, juvenile writing so Im definitely going to enjoy this game when its less buggy

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

ImpAtom posted:

But you are not the protagonist. You are someone playing a video game. There are hundreds of video games built around the idea of two conflicting factions where you play both sides.

I've not played any that I can think of, got examples?

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
When most people cry about "POLITICS IN MY <insert something here>" what they really mean is that they don't want to look at things they are uncomfortable with, such as trans people.

Deadreak
Jul 16, 2004

Я никому не хочу 
Sorry to butt in a middle of deep discussion on politics in video games, but I have a question. Just preloaded on Steam, however there is no 41GB patch that peeps on GOG received, I assume Steam doesn't have that yet?

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
so far of all the reviews i've seen the only thing that is concerning me a bit is that the main story is 15-20 hrs long for some of them, the rest didn't name a time - i guess w3 was overlong but i sort of expected a longer main plot

FallenGod
May 23, 2002

Unite, Afro Warriors!

*wakes up in an unfamiliar bed*

*looks around the room, a mirror and a neon sign stating something about walking a mile in someone else's shoes come into view simultaneously*

*immediately slide barrel of pistol into mouth without a second thought*

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

BrotherJayne posted:

Starcraft

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Deadreak posted:

Sorry to butt in a middle of deep discussion on politics in video games, but I have a question. Just preloaded on Steam, however there is no 41GB patch that peeps on GOG received, I assume Steam doesn't have that yet?

When did GOG get a patch?

edit: What I mean is, when I go into "Manage Installation", then "Configure" in GOG Galaxy, I see my game version is Build_3209660Change_4150348_Preload which is dated December 6. That seems like the first, and only, version of the game on GOG so far.

ymgve fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Dec 8, 2020

Slumpy
Jun 10, 2008

BrotherJayne posted:

starcraft: brood war

Vorik
Mar 27, 2014

Mad Wack posted:

so far of all the reviews i've seen the only thing that is concerning me a bit is that the main story is 15-20 hrs long for some of them, the rest didn't name a time - i guess w3 was overlong but i sort of expected a longer main plot

There's this

quote:

' As was the case in The Witcher series, side quests are not so much short deviations from the main story, but instead serve as complimentary pieces that overlap and intertwine with its narrative. They make Cyberpunk more about the journey and less about the destination. Having bypassed many of them in a bid to get through the campaign for the sake of this review, I learned the hard way that this may not have been the best approach; after roughly 36 hours, I watched end credits roll and by that time I had barely unlocked half of the perks available to any one of the character traits available. I fell well short of earning enough eddies (aka currency) to apply more than just a few cybernetic enhancements to my character. It left me feeling that either the game has some serious issues with balancing, or perhaps I just didn’t play it “the right way”. Looking over the quest log — which shows the tasks I’ve yet to complete — I’d estimate roughly a further 20 or 30 hours of gameplay could come from side quests alone. In short, take your time with this one. '

https://stevivor.com/reviews/cyberpunk-2077-review-toss-an-eddie-to-your-fixer/

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
Ellie and Abby are two sides of the same coin and, in a different world, they would have been total bros. :haw::hf::cheers:

Simone Magus posted:

The trans character in TLOU2 was really good in my opinion as an Actual Trans Person

But everyone is entitled to an opinion. If someone disliked the game or the issues in it, I can respect that, as their opinion existing does not diminish mine

My problem is most people don't actually criticize the game or have any opinion beyond "it sucks." Which is kind of a tell when it is fairly easy to make genuine complaints about the game. Like the "it's too long" complaint, there isn't a criticism of a flaw in the "it sucks" posts: just an opinion with no options for discussion.

So you don't like it? Cool...moving on.

BrotherJayne posted:

TLOU2 spoilers: Your character gets beat to death while your ward is held down watching, screaming and crying

And then you're supposed to some how bond with the killer when you're swapped to playing as them

gently caress that

hmmmm i wonder how Abby felt when joel killed her dad oh well i guess we can never ever know how to empathize with that experience :thunk:

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

stev posted:

It's going to be the TLOU2 of 2020. :(

I'm really sorry for this.

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

stev posted:

Starcraft

... isn't StarCraft a bunch of discretely separated campaigns?

Not to mention, not even remotely the same in terms of scale and attachment

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Slumpy posted:

starcraft: brood war

Thats three factions. Begone, troll.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

Pulcinella posted:

Cyberpunk may top it, but I think no game has had its well of discussion poisoned more than TLOU2. It’s basically impossible to talk about between the chuds and complaints about poo poo that’s not actually in the game.

The game was always going to be divisive. I say that as someone who bought the Witcher games as they came out and been super hyped for Cyberpunk 2077 which I still am. Probably because about everything said was expected, I haven't been shocked by the things people talked about being in game, any controversies or the reviews. CDPR could have handled many issues far better than they did, the sad thing is it wouldn't have taken much. Would that have pleased everyone? To a degree, not fully, but it would have helped. Some times just attempting to do something right can mean something even if you don't stick the landing. Buggy console versions, seeing as they are a PC developer first and foremost their ambition likely got ahold of them here. It's a shame they couldn't have done the PC version first and then release PS5 and whateverthefuckthexboxmachinecallsitself versions down the road. I imagine that would have went far smoother and got better versions and reactions. Working on the PC, the PS4 of which there are two versions and two Xboxwhateverthefucktheycallit that has two versions and then two more versions, one each for the next gen systems is a pretty high task to do right. Unless CDPR seriously expanded this was always going to be difficult for them to pull off smoothly. Again, ambition outstripped ability here.

That said there was a lot of things people wanted to an asinine degree there was no way the game could do it all. Go into any house/building and see every room. Buy from every vendor. Every character out on the street is fleshed out to an absurd degree that you could basically tell what they ate if you crawled up their rear end. A lot of bizarre things you never see said or asked about in other games that are opened world. Yet people expected it from Cyberpunk 2077 for some reason. Hype? Disdain? Depending on who was saying it both answers likely were true.

The Last Call fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Dec 8, 2020

Slumpy
Jun 10, 2008

Control Volume posted:

Thats three factions. Begone, troll.

zerg is not a faction it is a hive mind collective

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Will this video game stink? i mean, will it smell? and what will the smell be?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

hmmmm i wonder how Abby felt when joel killed her dad oh well i guess we can never ever know how to empathize with that experience :thunk:

No you see joel was a god and very nice (: he only decided to not give the world a cure afterall )