Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which lifepath will you take?
NOMAD (I like freedom)
STREET KID (I like the city)
CORPO (I like money)
I don't like labels
View Results

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Celexi posted:

When most people cry about "POLITICS IN MY <insert something here>" what they really mean is that they don't want to look at things they are uncomfortable with, such as trans people.

this. my only issues with "politics in games" are these.

1. dumb critics who think showing something = endorcing it and than get mad about it.(looking at lots of twitter)

2. the lesson is stupidly hamfisted even if i agree with it.

3. the lesson is weirdly cowardly(i dont even mean the ubisoft "let you decide yourself" deal/copout) i more mean like far cry 5/bioshock infinite which is somehow different from that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slumpy
Jun 10, 2008
joel took ellie to the museum and it was cool

PerilPastry
Oct 10, 2012
I seem to remember verticality being touted as a big selling point in early presentations of the game. Do any of the reviews touch on this?

Caros
May 14, 2008

BrotherJayne posted:

... isn't StarCraft a bunch of discretely separated campaigns?

Not to mention, not even remotely the same in terms of scale and attachment

gently caress you. Fenix died for your sins twice.

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

hmmmm i wonder how Abby felt when joel killed her dad oh well i guess we can never ever know how to empathize with that experience :thunk:

I could care less, but it would take effort. The order of events as seen by the player just gives too wide a divide to bridge.

Now, playing as Abby before that poo poo happens, maybe hinting at who she is and her relation to the dude Joel kills, and having the timelines sort of meet in the middle? Maybe that would have worked for me. But the Other is the Other, and by the time the ram reaches the wall it's too loving late to be taking the enemies feelings into consideration.

... but I dunno if that's an issue for other players, there are legit a buncha folks yelling about politics when the game seemed pretty unpolitical to me

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Slumpy posted:

joel took ellie to the museum and it was cool

i miss going to museums

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Did this thread suddenly merge with an old PlayStation game thread?

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

BrotherJayne posted:

I could care less, but it would take effort. The order of events as seen by the player just gives too wide a divide to bridge.

Now, playing as Abby before that poo poo happens, maybe hinting at who she is and her relation to the dude Joel kills, and having the timelines sort of meet in the middle? Maybe that would have worked for me. But the Other is the Other, and by the time the ram reaches the wall it's too loving late to be taking the enemies feelings into consideration.

... but I dunno if that's an issue for other players, there are legit a buncha folks yelling about politics when the game seemed pretty unpolitical to me

lmao

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

MazelTovCocktail posted:

ya

Slumpy
Jun 10, 2008

BrotherJayne posted:

... isn't StarCraft a bunch of discretely separated campaigns?

Not to mention, not even remotely the same in terms of scale and attachment

there is a map where kerrigan and duke gently caress

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

MazelTovCocktail posted:

Naw, it's faffing about while we wait on the goodness that will be Wednesday

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

The Last of Us 2077

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

My problem is most people don't actually criticize the game or have any opinion beyond "it sucks." Which is kind of a tell when it is fairly easy to make genuine complaints about the game. Like the "it's too long" complaint, there isn't a criticism of a flaw in the "it sucks" posts: just an opinion with no options for discussion.

I wish the game had more parts like the "open world" section of Seattle. That's my criticism.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

MazelTovCocktail posted:

I'm fine with it prerelease as long as it's not trampling on anyone else wanting to actually talk about Cyberpunk.

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

lol, it was a low bar to clear, yet you plowed right into it xD

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

I wholeheartedly do not give a poo poo about The Last of Us II

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Eraflure posted:

I wholeheartedly do not give a poo poo about The Last of Us II

:five:

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009
TLOU2? I was really sad when the guy who was trying to tear out a little girl's brain without her consent was hunted down and killed. really wrecked me emotionally

mod edit: spoilers

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:
lol every rating of this thread is either a 1 or a 5

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

What are you guys gonna snack on while marathoning this game

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

PerilPastry posted:

I seem to remember verticality being touted as a big selling point in early presentations of the game. Do any of the reviews touch on this?

I was just watching part of this review where it gets talked about in some detail. Essentially she says the city is so vertical it causes problems with the limited map/minimap navigation sometimes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5KFNfbD6fQ

Slumpy
Jun 10, 2008
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eRfgY8Ozmm8

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Perfect Potato posted:

TLOU2? I was really sad when the guy who was trying to tear out a little girl's brain without her consent was hunted down and killed. really wrecked me emotionally

mod edit: spoilers

BUT HIS DAUGHTER!

SHE GONNA BE SO SAD

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

CobiWann posted:

I wish the game had more parts like the "open world" section of Seattle. That's my criticism.

Yeah, would have been cool to have another segment like that later, and weird that it didn't

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

CDPR, at least make the entire soundtrack available while we wait.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

Isn't that how ratings generally work everywhere though?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Mad Wack posted:

so far of all the reviews i've seen the only thing that is concerning me a bit is that the main story is 15-20 hrs long for some of them, the rest didn't name a time - i guess w3 was overlong but i sort of expected a longer main plot

They said going in that lots of people never finished W3 so they intentionally made the main story a little shorter but still have as much content overall with all the side quests

That said plenty of other reviewers have said they've spent like 40+ hours on a single run

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

How Horny is this game on a scale of 1 to 69

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

I haven't read the last few pages because they were dogshit so forgive me if this has been established:

You can now pre-load the game on Steam.

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

What are you guys gonna snack on while marathoning this game

Frozen grapes. Freeze 'em, then dribble a bit of sparkling ice on 'em, and they get a crunchy layer.

Mirello
Jan 29, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Can you guys stfu about last of us? Just talk about reviews for this game, jesus christ

Deadreak
Jul 16, 2004

Я никому не хочу 

ymgve posted:

When did GOG get a patch?

Maybe I am mistaken? I saw some screenshots of people downloading some 41GB patch (it is not day one patch), maybe it is console only, not sure.

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

Did my part and voted 3 :patriot:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

BrotherJayne posted:

I've not played any that I can think of, got examples?

Blood Omen as a franchise is specifically built around it and does it wonderfully.
Metal Gear Rising lets you play as the charming dude Jetstream Sam who Raiden murders brutally in the game.
Heavy Rain specifically requires you to kill a playable protagonist as another playable protagonist.
Grand Theft Auto V offers something similar.
Nier Automata's final boss fight is between two player characters.
Assassin's Creed III has you kill the dude you played as in the opening who is the main antagonist.
X-COM Declassified specifically turns your player character for the majority of the game into the major antagonist.
Dead Space Extraction has you play as a dude in the first area only to be killed and replaced by a more significant protagonist.
Dynasty/Samurai/etc Warriors games are all based on people in the middle of a war where you play as, and kill, people from the other side.
In fact pretty much any game built around way that has factions does this.
Prototype 2 is specifically built around you murdering the protagonist of Prototype 1.

That's just off the top of my head.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

How Horny is this game on a scale of 1 to 69

Giant Bomb said its a very horny game, like the way they described it, a 69.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Simone Magus posted:

Yeah, would have been cool to have another segment like that later, and weird that it didn't

Agreed - there were a few points in the second half where a slower pace would've been welcome. I wouldn't be surprised if something like that was cut for time considering how long the game ended up being.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

Simone Magus posted:

Isn't that how ratings generally work everywhere though?

I just checked a handful of threads and they all at least have some 2-4, but it is skewed toward 1s and 5s.

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"

Mirello posted:

Can you guys stfu about last of us? Just talk about reviews for this game, jesus christ

agreed, only room for discussion of the upcoming AAA mediocrity not the one that already came out

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

ImpAtom posted:

Blood Omen as a franchise is specifically built around it and does it wonderfully.
Metal Gear Rising lets you play as the charming dude Jetstream Sam who Raiden murders brutally in the game.
Heavy Rain specifically requires you to kill a playable protagonist as another playable protagonist.
Grand Theft Auto V offers something similar.
Nier Automata's final boss fight is between two player characters.
Assassin's Creed III has you kill the dude you played as in the opening who is the main antagonist.
X-COM Declassified specifically turns your player character for the majority of the game into the major antagonist.
Dead Space Extraction has you play as a dude in the first area only to be killed and replaced by a more significant protagonist.
Dynasty/Samurai/etc Warriors games are all based on people in the middle of a war where you play as, and kill, people from the other side.
In fact pretty much any game built around way that has factions does this.
Prototype 2 is specifically built around you murdering the protagonist of Prototype 1.

That's just off the top of my head.

Oh poo poo, I've legit bounced off (GTAV and AssCreed III) or not played any of those.

... there is evidently a huge hole in my gaming experience

Edit: WAIT! I did XCom Declassified, that was actually a pretty cool twist

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Mirello posted:

I dunno can people like you STFU about what you think people should STFU about?

Posting about posting about posting about posting... come on...