Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Basebf555 posted:

The teams aspect is unwieldy now, but I do think it'll pay off once all the teams are established and we get this thing going. I'm looking forward to having like, a team or two that I will have a rooting interest in just like a real sport. And the fact that most of the teams were put together with some sort of common theme is important, the teams will make sense and won't feel random.

That's my thinking, and I figure as long as I keep track of it and can keep updating people on who is still on the board we should keep the wildness of this stage to a minimum. I think this will get fun at the next stage when like we have lists of people with 2-4 films and people are mixing and matching to get them. Right now I get that its all too big and overwhelming which is why I posted that Field of 32 list as a starting place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
jack sholder: noes2, the hidden, alone in the dark, wishmaster 2, arachnid, 12 days of terror, supernova

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

MacheteZombie posted:

Nigel bach - all the bad ben movies

Letterboxd doesn't have anything for him listed so I'll need some kind of list or something. I'm unfamiliar with the whole Bad Ben thing.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I think my tastes go really "poser" compared to most here so I'm gonna go ahead and post my convoluted teams I hope to sneak in as longshots.

Rustic Films - The name of Aaron Moorhead and Justin Benson’s production company. Moorehead and Benson have been one of my favorite recent entries into horror bringing emotional, offbeat, movies that don’t fit the traditionally gory, violent, or scary nature of horror but use horror elements to tell stories about love and friendship and brotherhood. And they’ve produced other young filmmaker’s first outings with similar approaches. They also made that skateboard skeleton skit in VHS Viral.

Aaron Moorehead & Justin Benson
1. Spring
2. Endless
3. Resolution

Amy Seimetz
4. She Dies Tomorrow

Jeremy Gardner & Christian Stella
5. After Midnight
6. The Battery

Radio Silence Productions - A collaboration of west coast directors made up primarily of Matt Bettinelli-Olpin, Tyler Gillett, Justin Martinez and Chad Villella who worked with other directors like David Bruckner to revitalize the horror anthology sub genre and give a bunch of future feature film directors their first major exposure. And now for better or worse they’re gonna make a Scream sequel.

Joe Swanberg, Matt Bettinelli-Olpin, Glenn McQuaid, David Bruckner, Tyler Gillett, Justin Martinez, and Chad Villella
1) V/H/S
2) Southbound

Matt Bettinelli-Olpin and Tyler Gillett
3) Ready Or Not
4) Devil’s Due

Glenn McQuaid
5) I Sell The Dead

Joe Swanberg
6) Silver Bullets

As Seen On V/H/S - Two directors who got some of their first exposure with V/H/S but went on to make an impression with their own films as well as working together on You’re Next.
Ti West
1) The House of the Devil
2) The Innkeepers
3) The Sacrament
4) The Roost

Adam Wingard
1) You’re Next
2) Death Note
3) Blair Witch
4) A Horrible Way To Die
5) The Guest

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
Team Vulgær

Directors: Gaspar Noe, Lars Von Trier

Noe:

Irreversible
Climax
I Stand Alone
Enter The Void

Lars Von Trier:

The House That Jack Built
Anti-Christ
Epidemic

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

STAC Goat posted:

My only objection to this is I was assuming someone would do "Cronenberg & Son" with Possessor making such a splash.

I can see and respect the angle, but I like the feeling of continuity Team David provides; they met as rivals in the last tournament, but neither Lynch's humanism nor Cronenberg's clinical curiosity were enough to tie up the full package. Now they can set aside their differences and crush all comers. Part of it is also about the specific films they each have left to draw from - The Brood and Eraserhead are an interesting package. I'd be a lot more inclined to do Cronenberg & Son if Videodrome was still up to join Possessor.

Also, check this out:

The Nephilim
Brandon Cronenberg
1. Antiviral
2. Possessor
Jennifer Lynch
3. Surveillance
4. Hisss
5. Chained
Asia Argento
6. DeGenerazione

OK, Asia is maybe a stretch here since DeGenerazione is an anthology she directed one segment of and hell if I know whether it's available anywhere - open to other suggestions for the last spot.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Steve Miner

Friday the 13th Part 2
Friday the 13th Part 3
Lake Placid
Halloween H20
House
Warlock
Day of the Dead (2008)

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Irony.or.Death posted:

I can see and respect the angle, but I like the feeling of continuity Team David provides; they met as rivals in the last tournament, but neither Lynch's humanism nor Cronenberg's clinical curiosity were enough to tie up the full package. Now they can set aside their differences and crush all comers. Part of it is also about the specific films they each have left to draw from - The Brood and Eraserhead are an interesting package. I'd be a lot more inclined to do Cronenberg & Son if Videodrome was still up to join Possessor.

Also, check this out:

The Nephilim
Brandon Cronenberg
1. Antiviral
2. Possessor
Jennifer Lynch
3. Surveillance
4. Hisss
5. Chained
Asia Argento
6. DeGenerazione

OK, Asia is maybe a stretch here since DeGenerazione is an anthology she directed one segment of and hell if I know whether it's available anywhere - open to other suggestions for the last spot.

Swap out Asia Argento for Panos Cosmatos, son of George P. Cosmatos, and we've got Mandy and Beyond the Black Rainbow to play with.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Irony.or.Death posted:

Also, check this out:

The Nephilim
Brandon Cronenberg
1. Antiviral
2. Possessor
Jennifer Lynch
3. Surveillance
4. Hisss
5. Chained
Asia Argento
6. DeGenerazione

You have both made a poetic case for Team David and found a poetic place for Son. Kudos.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Franchescanado posted:

Swap out Asia Argento for Panos Cosmatos, son of George P. Cosmatos, and we've got Mandy and Beyond the Black Rainbow to play with.

Seconded!

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

Franchescanado posted:

Hmm, torn here - this feels a little bit like breaking theme. I think today more people know Panos' name than George's even though he had more widely-seen films. If I relax my original interpretation to be more about output than personal reputation it maybe works, though - Tombstone is pretty widely beloved and I think I've seen more positive than negative reactions to Leviathan around here even if it's not anyone's favorite.

Plus, initial research suggests that De Generazione is the opposite of accessible.

e: and there's another vote for the swap right above this post, so yeah, let's do that.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Team Rule Breaker

Filmmakers and films that subvert your expectations for the whole run-time.

Directors: Ant Timpson, Jim Hosking, Harmony Korine, Nicolas Winding Refn, Trey Edward Shults

Come To Daddy

The Greasy Strangler

Trash Humpers
Julien Donkey Boy

The Neon Demon

It Comes At Night

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

Letterboxd thinks we should also count Fear X for Refn, while IMDB just calls it a thriller - has anyone here seen it to weigh in?

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Irony.or.Death posted:

Letterboxd thinks we should also count Fear X for Refn, while IMDB just calls it a thriller - has anyone here seen it to weigh in?

It sounds cool. I'd replace It Comes At Night with Fear X if it'll please the judges.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

STAC Goat posted:

Letterboxd doesn't have anything for him listed so I'll need some kind of list or something. I'm unfamiliar with the whole Bad Ben thing.

https://letterboxd.com/director/nigel-bach-2/

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Irony.or.Death posted:

Hmm, torn here - this feels a little bit like breaking theme. I think today more people know Panos' name than George's even though he had more widely-seen films. If I relax my original interpretation to be more about output than personal reputation it maybe works, though - Tombstone is pretty widely beloved and I think I've seen more positive than negative reactions to Leviathan around here even if it's not anyone's favorite.

Plus, initial research suggests that De Generazione is the opposite of accessible.

e: and there's another vote for the swap right above this post, so yeah, let's do that.

It's your suggestion, so make sure you're happy with the team! My other option to replace Asia Argento would be Luke Scott, son of Ridley, who made Morgan in 2016. Fits your original vision a little better and we can get Panos in via Team Psychedelia or similar

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Tarnop posted:

It's your suggestion, so make sure you're happy with the team! My other option to replace Asia Argento would be Luke Scott, son of Ridley, who made Morgan in 2016. Fits your original vision a little better and we can get Panos in via Team Psychedelia or similar

I'll put Panos on team Rule Breaker, even. edit: or We can use them for a different team.

We're live chatting on team building currently in the discord, if anyone wants to spit-ball in real time with us.

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Dec 7, 2020

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I don't know why I didn't find that the first time.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

Tarnop posted:

I really like the Luke Scott idea since I had no idea that was even a person who existed, thanks. Officially giving Panos up to the loving arms of Richard Stanley and...whoever fills it out. Adrian Lyne came up in Discord and seems like a good fit, but the team wasn't my idea so I'm not going to be the one to formalize it.

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

Team: Family Friendly

Directors: Henry Selick, Hayao Miyazaki

(Henry Selick)
Nightmare Before Christmas
Coraline
Monkey Bones

(Hayao Miyazaki)
Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind
Princess Mononoke
Spirited Away

Debbie Does Dagon fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Dec 8, 2020

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

Not vetted for accessibility, pulling from letterboxd:

Nobuhiko Ōbayashi
1. House
2. School in the Crosshairs
3. The Drifting Classroom
4. The Discarnates
5. Lovely Devils
6. Remembrance
7. Reibyo densetsu; something tells me this one might be tough to source

I hope six of these are possible to find I had no idea he'd done horror besides House until I went looking to slot him into a team.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I feel like Team Rule Breaker has an unfair advantage because the name is cooler than the other team names. Who wants to vote for Team Always Follows the Rules?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I mean there's a Team Vulgær and Team Queer as gently caress You. So the field is wide open.

But now i want to form Team Rules.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Lost & Found

Erik Kristopher Myers
Butterfly Kisses

Stuart Ortiz
Grave Encounters

Elliot Goldner
The Borderlands

Phil Guidry / Simon Herbert / David Whelan
Savageland

Zachary Donohue
The Den

Joel Anderson
Lake Mungo

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

MacheteZombie posted:

Charles Laughton- night of the hunter
Kathryn Bigelow- near dark
Bill gunn - ganja n hess
James bond iii - def by temptation
Na Hong-jin - The Wailing
Lesley Manning - Ghostwatch

The One n Dones

Finalized...... for now

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

I would like to suggest pairing Hitchcock with James Whale based on the level of humour present in both directors films. I understand that there's a bit of competition for Whale though, so I don't want to snatch him up without getting a second opinion.

My list for Hitchcock would be as follows

(Hitchcock)
Psycho
Shadow of a Doubt
Frenzy
Rear Window
Rope

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Tarnop posted:

Lost & Found

Erik Kristopher Myers
Butterfly Kisses

Stuart Ortiz
Grave Encounters

Elliot Goldner
The Borderlands

Phil Guidry / Simon Herbert / David Whelan
Savageland

Zachary Donohue
The Den

Joel Anderson
Lake Mungo

So Tarnop wants to separate the two directors who made Grave Encounters - Stuart Ortiz and Colin Minihan - and just nominate Ortiz because Minihan has 3 other solo films. Now that sits weird with me as a rules guy but like, I'm not gonna cry over Minihan's lost films and we all know we're not REALLY doing "best director." So if no one objects I'll allow this. Speak now or forever hold your peace.

Debbie Does Dagon posted:

I would like to suggest pairing Hitchcock with James Whale based on the level of humour present in both directors films. I understand that there's a bit of competition for Whale though, so I don't want to snatch him up without getting a second opinion.

My list for Hitchcock would be as follows

(Hitchcock)
Psycho
Shadow of a Doubt
Frenzy
Rear Window
Rope

Basbef was thinking GdT/Whale as a "Team Gothic" thing which I liked. I was thinking GdT/Burton as a gotheic/creature thing. I was also thinking Whale/Browning as a "founding father" thing. Browning/Hitchcock could work. I'm open to all the combinations, i think they all kinda work with each other, but I'm not passionate about any of them. So if someone does feel passionate about something go for it.

Here's their lists

James Whale
1. The Old Dark House
2. Bride of Frankenstein

Tod Browning
1) Freaks
2) The Devil Doll
3) The Unknown
4) Mark of the Vampire

Guillermo del Toro
1. Cronos
2. Crimson Peak
3. Hellboy
4. Hellboy II: The Golden Army
5. Mimic

Tim Burton
1. Beetlejuice
2. Mars Attacks!
3. Corpse Bride
4. Dark Shadows
5. Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Dec 8, 2020

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

STAC Goat posted:

So Tarnop wants to separate the two directors who made Grave Encounters - Stuart Ortiz and Colin Minihan - and just nominate Ortiz because Minihan has 3 other solo films. Now that sits weird with me as a rules guy but like, I'm not gonna cry over Minihan's lost films and we all know we're not REALLY doing "best director." So if no one objects I'll allow this. Speak now or forever hold your peace.

I will add that I have two on the reserves list for this team, so if anyone wants Colin Minihan in the tournament it does not put me out in any way to change it.

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

I'm fine with Tarnop choosing one of the pair, in the interests of keeping things light and breezy

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
STAC, do you have the time to go through the last years holdover and label the directors that have already been picked? That would make it so much easier.

Also lest we forget the best horror subgenre

Wuxia Horror

A Chinese Ghost Story (1987) - Siu-Tung Ching
A Chinese Ghost Story II (1990) - Siu-Tung Ching
A Chinese Ghost Story III (1991) - Siu-Tung Ching
Human Lanterns (1982) Chung Sun
Revenge of the Corpse (1981) Chung Sun
The Legend of the 7 Golden Vampires (1974) Cheh Chang

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

After some horse trading in the Discord, STAC Goat is going to put together a team with both Grave Encounters films in it and I will sub out Stuart Ortiz for Christopher MacBride with The Conspiracy

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Do we have Ho Meng-Hua on here?
Oily maniac
Black Magic
Black Magic 2
The Mighty Peking Man
Evil Black Magic
Midnight Murder

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

married but discreet posted:

STAC, do you have the time to go through the last years holdover and label the directors that have already been picked? That would make it so much easier.
I'm probably gonna go through the first 32 eliminated tonight like I did the last 32. I also have a random list of "rookies" but I don't even know where that list came from. But that will probably be "Phase 3". I'm keeping track of what I post ona txt file and intend to keep "updating the board" as directors come off and some remain.

edit: Oh, you mean mark it on that old spreadsheet? Yeah, I can totally do that.

edit2: The dirty Holdovers list, the directors chosen blocked off in red. I'll try and produce a cleaner list soon.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1TaE_a-8-ywzcr8NWXZ5pIPh7Ih-NsArBEJgs-XbuRTM/edit#gid=1112190447

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Dec 8, 2020

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

Irony.or.Death posted:

That is a nice succinct way of phrasing my objection to it. Good :smug:, well done.

Edit: My nomination, because how could we not do it? The numbers are perfect. It's destiny.

Team David:

David Cronenberg
1. The Brood
2. Scanners
3. Dead Zone
4. Existenz

David Lynch
5. Eraserhead
6. Mulholland Drive

Can we please add Naked Lunch to this list

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Tarnop posted:

After some horse trading in the Discord, STAC Goat is going to put together a team with both Grave Encounters films in it and I will sub out Stuart Ortiz for Christopher MacBride with The Conspiracy

You're a good and reasonable sort.

Digital Interference - Another little collective of young directors, writers, and producers headlined by Colin Minihan who has written all 6 films and directed 4. They've put together an unassuming but interesting body of work the last decade or so. I don't expect it to go far but I think they're worth giving a chance.

Colin Minihan, John Poliquin, Kurtis David Harder, & Stuart Ortiz

Grave Encounters
Grave Encounters 2
What Keeps You Alive
Spiral
Extraterrestrial
It Stains The Sand Red

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Terence Fisher was knocked out in the first round last time so he definitely has a lot of good films left. Pretty sure he lost with Hound of the Baskervilles but never got to use any of his really iconic stuff.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I'm gonna spend an hour tonight going through the first 32 eliminated like him and do the same thing I did last night. Anyone who has 6+ like Fisher I'll add automatically. Others I'll post a list.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Debbie Does Dagon posted:

Can we please add Naked Lunch to this list

Seconded.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
I'll refuse to participate in this thread if Naked Lunch is not added

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

It has been added. I serve at the will of the people.

But this one's for me.

Creature Features - Ok, GdT lasted just long enough last go to burn his list down below 6. But that’s ok because GdT has written and produced a ton of poo poo so surely I can find something to fill out his team that actually involves him, right? Well I could have gone 100% “GdT Presents” here with some random one off films he wrote and/or produced but they're hard to watch so I decided to go with André Øvredal who worked with GdT on Scary Stories. Ovredal has two independent films that have nothing to do with GdT but as Tarnop pointed out to be Troll Hunter almost certainly drew GdT to Ovredal and may have been inspired by GdT as they feel very similar. So this pairing of Creature Designers feels right to me and its a bunch of films I absolutely love.

Guillermo del Toro
Cronos
Crimson Peak
Hellboy
Hellboy II: The Golden Army
Mimic

André Øvredal
Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark
The Autopsy of Jane Doe
Troll Hunter