Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which lifepath will you take?
NOMAD (I like freedom)
STREET KID (I like the city)
CORPO (I like money)
I don't like labels
View Results

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:

Endorph posted:

4) It kind of betrays how shoddily implemented the trans stuff is. The actual reason for this 'choice' is they didn't want to have to rewrite dialogue where the male/female voice protag refers to themselves as male/female. This is pretty solidly proven by the fact that you can get dialogue referencing your dick/pussy even if you don't have one, and the fact that sex scenes are animated based on your gender, not your genitals. (Which is another instance where some kind of choice would be fairly easy to implement and improve the ability to roleplay a lot.)

it's better if npcs don't magically know what genitalia you have

i have no idea what the 'pick you're genitals' actually adds to this game but it seems a shockingly strange decision

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

Endorph posted:

1) If it's the gritty sci-fi future, wouldn't anyone have any voice they wanted and have it be completely disconnected from their conception of gender? why would a magical future where anyone can have a massive hog suddenly be gender essentialist about a person's voice? Like, shouldn't there be women going around sounding like darth vader and poo poo? It's just another 'mod,' a way of making yourself distinct, which seems like something the society in the setting is all for.

2) The concept of voice equalling your gender is an old transphobic trope. Obviously just hearing a man's voice, without any other context and going 'oh, that's a man' isn't transphobic, it's just the result of socialization, but think of the trope of a sexy lady but... oh no! they're a tranny! and then they have the gravelly voice of a guy who smokes, or something. And it's still something that's used to discriminate against trans people today. Recently there was a big blowup where some female streamer had a 'women only' channel in their discord, and the method to 'prove' you were a woman was voice chat. Specifically as a way to weed out transwomen.

3) In real life, most trans people have to train their voices incredibly hard to 'pass' vocally, and there's people who just can't manage it. Even if it makes sense in universe, Cyberpunk 2077 is a game that exists in real life. It's reasonable those people would want to play a character who matches their experiences. And again, see point 1.

4) It kind of betrays how shoddily implemented the trans stuff is. The actual reason for this 'choice' is they didn't want to have to rewrite dialogue where the male/female voice protag refers to themselves as male/female. This is pretty solidly proven by the fact that you can get dialogue referencing your dick/pussy even if you don't have one, and the fact that sex scenes are animated based on your gender, not your genitals. (Which is another instance where some kind of choice would be fairly easy to implement and improve the ability to roleplay a lot.)

I'm not saying the game is a monolithic tribute to transphobia just that it's kinda lame and lazy, and betrays a misunderstanding of the issue. I don't think that's an unreasonable criticism.

So there's genitalia specific dialogue and gender specific animations, but we can't pick our pronouns at character creation? I'm not trying to be sarcastic or anything, it's late and I just want to make sure I'm fully comprehending what you're saying here.

If that's the case, good grief. It feels like CDPR didn't drop the ball, they just flat out refused to pick it up. Maybe gave it a couple of kicks.

Also yeah, voice training is hell.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

It was a like major event and scandal because pokemon was super popular and tons of kids were affected and had to be taken to hospital

They pulled the episode as a result IIRC

And made porygon persona non grata in pokemon related media for years even though it was pikachu who did the offending effect. :argh:

Turin Turambar posted:

No offense, but isn't the voice controlling the gender more progressive than the body type selecting the gender?

Should have just let you select gender as a separate check box - not tied to either body or voice or anything else. I seem to remember this is what they were even going with originally...

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

He gets audience engagement. Seems to work (or worked, didn't check him lately) for Jonathan McIntosh. Dude raked some serious Patreon cash for mostly favouring indie games and making GBS threads on anything mainstream.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

So can we unlock this tomorrow using special vpn time sorcery wizardly and becoming Kiwis?

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Communist Bear posted:

So can we unlock this tomorrow using special vpn time sorcery wizardly and becoming Kiwis?

If you gently caress your router the game wakes up.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Capn Beeb posted:

So there's genitalia specific dialogue and gender specific animations, but we can't pick our pronouns at character creation? I'm not trying to be sarcastic or anything, it's late and I just want to make sure I'm fully comprehending what you're saying here.

If that's the case, good grief. It feels like CDPR didn't drop the ball, they just flat out refused to pick it up. Maybe gave it a couple of kicks.

Also yeah, voice training is hell.

At character creation you choose a male or female voice and that determines your pronouns and what gender-specific insults the enemies scream at you.

Communist Bear posted:

Possibly on xbox, but PC and PS5 release is simultaneous global launch.

HardKase
Jul 15, 2007
TASTY

Communist Bear posted:

As a New Zealander the answer is no.

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

Communist Bear posted:

It comes out simultaneously worldwide on PC, on the 9th at 7pm EST

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
It releases in NZ in about 39 hours, so IDK about the tomorrow part. But yeah, you can absolutely VPN in to unlock stuff early.

edit: when it's not a simultaneous release of course

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Communist Bear posted:

Only on consoles. PC is the same moment everywhere.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

BULBASAUR posted:

as someone who works in the industry, your #1 bullet point should be "mandatory overtime for workers who are paid substandard wages"

I said pro-consumer, not pro-developer! :P

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Communist Bear posted:

It's Denuvo, so quite alot.

Some benchmarks showed the effect was marginal in framerate, but more noticeable in the loading times.

thefncrow
Mar 14, 2001

Avalerion posted:

Should have just let you select gender as a separate check box - not tied to either body or voice or anything else. I seem to remember this is what they were even going with originally...

This is the opposite of what they had. The original version of the character creator had you pick a gender selection and that was basically it.

When they got slammed for their transphobic Chromanticore stuff, they were out a week later saying they'd finally heard the complaints about the straight binary gender selector, that there would be no more single binary gender selector but would allow customization, but what they created was this total hack of what they had before.

Now, you pick a "body type", which is effectively male/female, but instead of working as body customization defaults the different body types lock customization attributes. For example, apparently the hairstyles for the two body types are apparently different with no overlap, and the "male" body type has no customization options for breasts. And then on top of that you have the whole voice tone/pronouns issue.

It really feels like they never took this seriously from the start. And the context of this coming as a response to people calling them on their bullshit for their transphobic poster makes it worse, since that entire debacle was about fetishisizing trans people by reducing them to their genitals, which they tried to make up for by saying "we're including trans options now, you get to pick your genitals!"

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Wicked Them Beats posted:

At character creation you choose a male or female voice and that determines your pronouns and what gender-specific insults the enemies scream at you.

But bizarrely, also your sex animations, independent of your genitalia, apparently. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Celexi posted:

Did they just put the scores of the reviews that gave it a good score.

Yes. Some fans are weird, man

https://twitter.com/GermanStrands/status/1328092001821224965

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

The thing with trans representation is that if they were smart they could have done it in a pretty thorough way. Let the player choose their genitals separately and have sex scenes adjust to one of 2 already existing options, let the player choose their pronoun separately and have NPC dialogue adjust to one of 2 already existing options, let the player choose their voice separately from one of the 2 already existing options, have the player refer to themselves in non-gendered wording (doable pretty easily even in Polish - for example have the protagonist say "it's done" instead of "I did it").

I'm guessing that the last thing with the tone of voice tied to gender grammar is what's causing everything else to callapse because it needed some writer foresight and CDPR started implementing the trans representation option only after the social media backlash when all the writing and voice acting was already done/underway.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

CottonWolf posted:

But bizarrely, also your sex animations, independent of your genitalia, apparently. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Oh dear

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Literal fetishization of positive response to multimilliondollar projects by corporations lmfao

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

CottonWolf posted:

LOL

I suspect they will be glad to come back to the Witcher universe with a single protagonist in their next games. So many less headaches with that.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

dex_sda posted:

Literal fetishization of positive response to multimilliondollar projects by corporations lmfao

I don't know what you are doing with your life if you don't stan Bugsnax.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Turin Turambar posted:

Oh I know it's good but i am not gonna spend my time making a wallpaper with review scores copypasted on it, you know?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Turin Turambar posted:

LOL

I suspect they will be glad to come back to the Witcher universe with a single protagonist in their next games. So many less headaches with that.

I'm surprised they didn't end up going down the single protagonist route with this. It's clearly where their strengths lie.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Re: the major epilepsy trigger, if you'd like to see what they're talking about and just that, it's here at 1m29s. (Obviously, DO NOT CLICK IF EPILEPTIC) Keeping in mind that in the actual gameplay you'll be seeing that at 60FPS without youtube compression messing with it, I'd say yeah, pretty egregious.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 11:22 on Dec 8, 2020

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

They could even at this point patch in two things: sex scenes matching your chosen genitals, NPC dialogue matching your chosen pronouns. It's all already present in the game, just needs some adjusting.

The voice tone being tied to the chosen pronoun would be the one thing that's way more difficult to change as it would require new voice acting sessions, probably something that's not happening. Still the rest would be a major step in the right direction.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

they were just loving lazy with every element of character customization in this game. industry boogieman EA even did a better job with The Sims 4.

self customization is a major theme in cyberpunk, if you dont want to do good self-customization in your game, dont make a cyberpunk game

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

alex314 posted:

It also ended up with really small cities. I don't remember ES4 too well, but Whiterun had ~20 houses and a couple of other buildings representing a whole city. I'd rather have Novigrad or Toussaint, where a small part is interactable but it feels like a city and not some small village.

Yes. I mean, Novigrad or Toussaint are still unrealistically small... but they are just big enough that at least they can provide the illusion they represent a city to the player. I didn't have that illusion with Whiterun.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019

juggalo baby coffin posted:

they were just loving lazy with every element of character customization in this game. industry boogieman EA even did a better job with The Sims 4.

self customization is a major theme in cyberpunk, if you dont want to do good self-customization in your game, dont make a cyberpunk game

:chloe:

this loving thread lmaooooo

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Turin Turambar posted:

For the past week my friends have just been repeatedly saying “SCOOP SCOOP SCOOPEY BANOOPEY” because one of us played all of it over discord streaming. It’s infected every other game we play: the ghosts in phasmphobia get yelled at to scoop banoop. The new stag knights in TWW2 are scoop masters that scoop people. There’ll be absolute silence and someone will just crack the mic with “stews stewdlerrrr” and chaos of ensues.

There’s just something about that loving game, it’s weirder than any kids’ show I watched from the ‘90s and sticks even harder. It’s a surreal as gently caress experience and definitely the most memorable game out of all of these piles of poo poo in the ps5’s launch lineup, including cp2077.

Also much more LGBTQ+ positive, come to think of it. Really everyone should just play bugsnax instead of cyberpunk, IMO.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

MikeJF posted:

Re: the major epilepsy trigger, if you'd like to see what they're talking about and just that, it's here at 1m29s. (Obviously, DO NOT CLICK IF EPILEPTIC) Keeping in mind that in the actual gameplay you'll be seeing that at 60FPS without youtube compression messing with it, I'd say yeah, pretty egregious.

I guess I'm just spoilt/lucky/ignorant of the issue but I would never have guessed that would be a major problem if people hadn't told me

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination
This thread just proves people will find anything to get upset over.

Edit: Obviously not referring to the epilepsy bit.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

juggalo baby coffin posted:

Not on release they didn't

Also lmao

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

stev posted:

Jim Sterling is one of the few truly pro-consumer personalities in the industry, to the point where he's happily turned himself into a pariah by cutting all ties with major publishers.

Whatever you think of his dress sense he's not a voice that we should want to lose any time soon.

This, so much loving this.

All the other sites just regurgitating soundbites and defending corporations that are actually just loving evil.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
let's compile a list of all the people who are unhappy with the game because it doesn't match the hype they've built up in their heads. I'll start

1. the customization is not like sims 4

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013
did anyone say Cyberjank 2077 yet?

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004
And now for something completely different

Jeff Fatwood posted:

did anyone say Cyberjank 2077 yet?

im partial to cybershit 2077

edit: cyberbunk 2077

Missionary Positron fucked around with this message at 11:47 on Dec 8, 2020

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

TheRat posted:

I guess I'm just spoilt/lucky/ignorant of the issue but I would never have guessed that would be a major problem if people hadn't told me

Entitled gamers (not meaning you here, to be clear!) generally do a really good job of convincing a wider audience that any kind of accessibility options are an 'easy mode' that shouldn't be in games. A lot of AAA games are shocking for how inaccessible they are if you're not physically (or mentally) able to play and experience them in specific ways.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Missionary Positron posted:

im partial to cybershit 2077

Cyberpunk 2069 (cuz it eats dick)

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Horizon Burning posted:

it's better if npcs don't magically know what genitalia you have

i have no idea what the 'pick you're genitals' actually adds to this game but it seems a shockingly strange decision
i feel like the NPCs youre loving might know what genitals you have.

also, if this is the cyberpunk future where you can have any genitals you want, wouldn't assuming someones genitals based on their gender presentation die out as a concept

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
They should change the name of easy mode to "Chad mode" and watch those people lose their minds