Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which lifepath will you take?
NOMAD (I like freedom)
STREET KID (I like the city)
CORPO (I like money)
I don't like labels
View Results

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

TheRat posted:

I guess I'm just spoilt/lucky/ignorant of the issue but I would never have guessed that would be a major problem if people hadn't told me

My understanding is that the thing that makes it super bad is the way it ramps up through frequencies from slow to fast while flashing brightly, that means it gets the full gamut of frequency-based triggers instead of just having to get lucky and match someone's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Horizon Burning posted:

it's better if npcs don't magically know what genitalia you have

i have no idea what the 'pick you're genitals' actually adds to this game but it seems a shockingly strange decision

Look if my cyberpenis/vagina isn't so huge that it bulges out of my cyberpants and everyone comments on it every 5 seconds, then it just isn't good game design.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Horizon Burning posted:

:chloe:

this loving thread lmaooooo

I didn't follow the development and hype for this game so I dunno, but did the Devs ever promise/say they were going to make the game have the world's deepest character customization with amazing well thought out transrights issues at heart?
I don't remember seeing the Shadowrun's get lambasted over the lack of transrights in the character customization and how the world reacts to it.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Croccers posted:

I didn't follow the development and hype for this game so I dunno, but did the Devs ever promise/say they were going to make the game have the world's deepest character customization with amazing well thought out transrights issues at heart?
I don't remember seeing the Shadowrun's get lambasted over the lack of transrights in the character customization and how the world reacts to it.

They went hard in on pushing trans representation after a transphobic scandal in their marketing, didn't they?

It was a pitiful attempt to save face pr wise, and it shows.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Croccers posted:

The game has an ad of a lady with a giant dick every five minutes, they made a cis lady cosplaying the lady with a giant dick their official cosplay girl, and they specifically introduced the ability to play a trans character in response to criticisms about the ad of the lady with the giant dick, instead of just taking the ad out. I think this is a fight they chose.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:
endorph, please don't act like them saying 'cis characters only, sorry, we're sticking to a strict binary' would be a better result

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
'give us representation that's the same exploitative, gross poo poo that everyone else is getting- no not like that'

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
The main takeaway here seems to be that after the outrage they shouldn't have bothered changing anything and just going with their original plan of man/woman checkbox.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Horizon Burning posted:

endorph, please don't act like them saying 'cis characters only, sorry, we're sticking to a strict binary' would be a better result
where did i say that, exactly. can you diagram it. can you point to it on a chart.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

Horizon Burning posted:

let's compile a list of all the people who are unhappy with the game because it doesn't match the hype they've built up in their heads. I'll start

1. the customization is not like sims 4

ive not built up any hype in my head, ive had 0 hype for this game and genuinely never been interested in it cause generic cyberpunk is boring and i had no faith in cdprojekt to make something interesting that wasn't based on a huge series of books. like the two things i know about it are they promised deep character customization and said a bunch of stuff about trans rights after their stupid vending machine scandal. i came to check on this thread cause i saw the epilepsy thing on twitter.

Endorph posted:

where did i say that, exactly. can you diagram it. can you point to it on a chart.

guy likes to put words in peoples mouths

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
2. it's not based on a series of books

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

black.lion posted:

Dope these are the kinds of spoilers I like bc they save me time reading abt all this poo poo and remaking my character twenty times bc I can't commit to anything

So there's no respeccing either perk or stat points that we know of, correct?

I think there is respeccing. There was too in TW3, once you reached Novigrad.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
It's funny that this game could literally kill or cause brain damage in a portion of the people who play it and it still got 10/10 scores.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009
a restaurant is criticized for not offering vegan options. the restaurant promises to offer vegan options in the future. i go to the restaurant and order a vegan lasagna. the vegan lasagna is burnt.

'excuse me, my lasagna is burnt,' i say to the waitress

'oh, so it would have been better if there was no lasagna?' the waitress responds

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013

Horizon Burning posted:

Like maybe there's better options outside of and between transploitation and nothing but cis.

Also

Horizon Burning posted:

:chloe:

this loving thread lmaooooo

Delizin
Nov 9, 2005

It may not be interracial, but it is black and white.

Turin Turambar posted:

I think there is respeccing. There was too in TW3, once you reached Novigrad.

Respeccing:
Someone way back in the thread said they saw that respeccing was possible during a leaked gameplay video.

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

Hey so is anyone in this video game thread looking forward to the video game? I know I sure am!

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

Horizon Burning posted:

2. it's not based on a series of books

it is, technically, based on books, its just the books are a really bad cyberpunk tabletop game. if you dont understand how the witcher games benefited from being based on popular books you should look at the game of thrones tv show and see what happened when they ran out of books to take ideas from.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

rap music posted:

Hey so is anyone in this video game thread looking forward to the video game? I know I sure am!

I am. Gonna have me some good old fun.

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

Delizin posted:

Respeccing:
Someone way back in the thread said they saw that respeccing was possible during a leaked gameplay video.

It was in the dantics review vid and sounds like it works the same as in w3, available but expensive.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

let the anger flow through your salt beef filling
Why are people in this thread gettin' weird about the fact that Jeff Gerstmann didn't like The Witcher 3? Not only is this game obviously very different (ithis is a Deus Ex style first person ARPG), but other members of the Giant Bomb team really loved The Witcher 3. As a whole, GB has been really positive about that game.

Is all the straw clutching because people have bought big beefy PCs all for a game that might not even run that well?

Slugnoid
Jun 23, 2006

Nap Ghost
Endorph, I think your seeing malice where it doesnt exist. A cisgendered layman like myself assumed this game was basically going for gold standard trans representation by letting you literally make a trans character. I assume the devs thought they were doing it right too.

Avynte
Jun 30, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

rap music posted:

I for one am looking forward to a flawed, yet ambitious experience, and of course plenty of lmao at the hyperbole surrounding the game.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
Can someone explain what the issue is with the seizure stuff in game?

Isn't that what the epilepsy warnings are for?

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Endorph posted:

also, if this is the cyberpunk future where you can have any genitals you want, wouldn't assuming someones genitals based on their gender presentation die out as a concept

I feel goons have thought more about the implications of body modification on gender presentation in this thread in since it launched than the CDPR devs did over eight years...

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

Vigil for Virgil posted:

A reviewer described part of the brain dance stuff to be similar to the tool neurologists use specifically to induce a seizure

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Love to watch Gamers melting down at the most tepid of criticisms about am objectively lovely aspect of the game.

Slugnoid posted:

Endorph, I think your seeing malice where it doesnt exist. A cisgendered layman like myself assumed this game was basically going for gold standard trans representation by letting you literally make a trans character. I assume the devs thought they were doing it right too.

Your voice is tied to the pronouns used and all sex related animations are tied to gender option not genitalia.

So its not really a gold standard by even industry standards

Sedisp fucked around with this message at 12:13 on Dec 8, 2020

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

rap music posted:

A reviewer described part of the brain dance stuff to be similar to the tool neurologists use specifically to induce a seizure

That's it?

But isn't that covered by "This game can cause epilepsy. Consult your doctor etc"

There is a moral issue with that obviously if they did it to intentionally cause seizures

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Vigil for Virgil posted:

1. There is no epilepsy warning in this game like in a lot of other titles, it's apparently only present in the TOS text.
2. The most dangerous epilepsy-inducing scene in the game uses light effects that are incredibly similar (down to light colors and frequencies) to actual seizure-inducing procedures used as diagnosis tools by real-life neurologist. So it's way beyond some flashing colors in other games.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Palpek posted:

1. There is no epilepsy warning in this game
2. The most dangerous epilepsy-inducing scene in the game uses light effects and that are incredibly similar (down to light colors and frequencies) to actual seizure-inducing procedures used as diagnosis tools by real-life neurologist. So it's way beyond some flashing colors in other games.

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/725444634406551573/785746155798659072/siezure_warning.png

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Yeah, I edited in that it's present in the TOS but not as a welcome screen in the game like in a lot of other titles.

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004
And now for something completely different

isnt that buried beneath pages and pages of legal poo poo that no one reads in the TOS

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

I am looking forward to playing this videogame.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

So the issue is they didn't have a warning screen essentially.

Fair enough

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Missionary Positron posted:

isnt that buried beneath pages and pages of legal poo poo that no one reads in the TOS
Yes

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Vigil for Virgil posted:

Fair enough

Even if they did, the warning would have to be far far stronger than 99% of games by the sound of it. On the order of “Do not play this game if you have a history of epileptic fits.”

Or, you know, just patch the flashing lights out?

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Vigil for Virgil posted:

Fair enough

That and the epilepsy is not all or nothing. Some people can play games just fine and still can have siezures induced in a medical setting. For whatever reason they decided to include something very similar to the method used to induce siezures and did not give a warning before doing so.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

let the anger flow through your salt beef filling

Vigil for Virgil posted:

Fair enough

I think there's a difference between flashing lights in a video game, and importing a sequence of flashing lights specifically designed to induce seizures in a medical context, in your video game. The former is an unfortunate risk of the medium, the latter is stupid negligence.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

CottonWolf posted:

Even if they did, the warning would have to be far far stronger than 99% of games by the sound of it. On the order of “Do not play this game if you have a history of epileptic fits.”

Or, you know, just patch the flashing lights out?

Yeah it seems odd to include that in the first place. And also not warn people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Talkc
Aug 2, 2010

Mizuki! Mizuki! Mizuki!
***DEVASTATINGLY HANDSOME***
I feel really awkward as a trans woman with this game, cause i was like cool! They added options. And now im sitting here feeling like im through the looking glass, like "i guess im a stupid chud" cause of how ignorant i am about transphobia and poo poo from where i live. And by that i mean "subtle" transphobia. I'm not really endeared to the concept. In my family, and where i live its pretty substantially blatant.

I feel like i live in a loving hole where the idea that an LGBT community is a literal magic land, and nothing has highlighted that more than the dialog about this game.

I guess im the fat stupid chick who was excited that i get to run around with a dick and tits and be an action hero.