Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which lifepath will you take?
NOMAD (I like freedom)
STREET KID (I like the city)
CORPO (I like money)
I don't like labels
View Results

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

For if he like a madman lived,
At least he like a wise one died.

You can still be excited abt your dick and tits!!! I know I am

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

FuzzySlippers posted:

I saw someone mention specifically the melee was better than Bethesda fp games but nothing on the level of the more dedicated fp melee games. So more like average than bad. Everyone says gunplay is more fun. I would assume melee plays the same but someone said they thought the blades felt better than the other melee.

On paper, it seems good: you have light attack, heavy attacks, block, counter parry, all mixed with dodging too (double tap on direction). The question is, how the AI reacts to it? Is it easily cheesable? Ars Technica said katanas were broken, he could spam light attack until things died.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

I still haven’t heard the answer to the most important question. Can you install both a Mr Studd and a Midnight Lady simulateously? That would be 100% the play in real life.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí

Turin Turambar posted:

Ars Technica said katanas were broken, he could spam light attack until things died.

Cyber cat school/neko-ryu lives

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Talkc posted:

I feel really awkward as a trans woman with this game, cause i was like cool! They added options. And now im sitting here feeling like im through the looking glass, like "i guess im a stupid chud" cause of how ignorant i am about transphobia and poo poo from where i live. And by that i mean "subtle" transphobia. I'm not really endeared to the concept. In my family, and where i live its pretty substantially blatant.

I feel like i live in a loving hole where the idea that an LGBT community is a literal magic land, and nothing has highlighted that more than the dialog about this game.

I guess im the fat stupid chick who was excited that i get to run around with a dick and tits and be an action hero.

You should absolutely never let others tell you what you are and are not allowed to enjoy!

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Slugnoid posted:

Endorph, I think your seeing malice where it doesnt exist. A cisgendered layman like myself assumed this game was basically going for gold standard trans representation by letting you literally make a trans character. I assume the devs thought they were doing it right too.
Where did I say there was malice? I said it was lazy and spoke to a misunderstanding, not that the devs are turbobigots. I wasn't saying anyone was stupid for enjoying it or getting anything out of it, just that there's some missteps and mistakes in the execution and that their core premise is kind of flawed. The fact that you're acting like mild criticism is 'attributing malice' is kind of hosed up tbh.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 12:29 on Dec 8, 2020

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

CottonWolf posted:

I still haven’t heard the answer to the most important question. Can you install both a Mr Studd and a Midnight Lady simulateously? That would be 100% the play in real life.

We call that the hot-dog-in-the-bun maneuver.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Ars has an screenshot that made me think there has to be some bug:

(on)
vs

(off)

I have not seen anything like that in other comparisons.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I’ve never had a seizure in my life but the fact that they have medical seizure stuff makes me feel :ohdear:

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

There is a bug, mentioned earlier. Ray Tracing isn't correcting for neon bulb illumination, so it's overdoing light.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Turin Turambar posted:

I have not seen anything like that in other comparisons.

Those look like they have very different levels of lighting altogether

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

A game should legally required to be shittier the more pre-orders it gets.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Vigil for Virgil posted:

So the issue is they didn't have a warning screen essentially.

Fair enough
To me the issue really is that there's a scene in the game that CDPR accidentally designed in a way to absolutely maximize the ammount of people that may experience a seizure from even when those people wouldn't know they had epilepsy and read through the TOS. It's because the lights and frequencies go through the entire spectrum of possible triggers.

It's not stated as something they did maliciously and the journalist who reported it framed it within a guide on which scenes to avoid if you know you have the condition.

She then received hundreds of messages on social media with attached images specifically designed to trigger her seizures disguised under subjects expressing sympathy. But sure, for many who only read a couple of headlines she's one of the leaders of the irrational hate train now.

Slugnoid
Jun 23, 2006

Nap Ghost

Endorph posted:

Where did I say there was malice? I said it was lazy and spoke to a misunderstanding, not that the devs are turbobigots. I wasn't saying anyone was stupid for enjoying it or getting anything out of it, just that there's some missteps and mistakes in the execution and that their core premise is kind of flawed. The fact that you're acting like mild criticism is 'attributing malice' is kind of hosed up tbh.

i might have not read through your posts closely enough, soz

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

sean10mm posted:

This is absolute garbage writing, Jesus Christ on a cracker.

I think this sentence could be very apt for the game, at least:

"It's both unique and totally derivative, futuristic and regressive, wide-open and painfully restrictive."

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Palpek posted:

She then received hundreds of messages on social media with attached images specifically designed to trigger her seizures disguised under subjects expressing sympathy. But sure, for many who only read a couple of headlines she's one of the leaders of the irrational hate train now.

I don't feel like it's fair to blame the large score of absolute cunts on the internet on a specific dev. They're going to be awful people no matter what, the cause doesn't matter.

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

Boy this dang internet sure is full of assholes!

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

rap music posted:

Boy this dang internet sure is full of assholes!

I mean, yes?

Talkc
Aug 2, 2010

Mizuki! Mizuki! Mizuki!
***DEVASTATINGLY HANDSOME***
As a migraine sufferer, i know the thing i love in a video game the most, is someone trying to induce epilepsy.

Still holding out hope for a MIB Battle Royale where you can Nueralize your enemies at will.

Or what if the Ghostbusters Video Game from 2009, had decided to just depict the ghost trap as written? A hideous volume of light?

How about a VR Innovation! A Quest 2 with a small pnuematic hammer in it to emulate getting *loving shot*.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Palpek posted:

have the player refer to themselves in non-gendered wording (doable pretty easily even in Polish - for example have the protagonist say "it's done" instead of "I did it"

Works for a player referencing themselves, but sounds very artificial whenever someone would address PC. "Have you done the task?" in neutral sounds off, and it would be hard to write around those situations. They did drop the ball on the topic, especially considering the nature of Cyberpunk world. Seems like the writing staff had a clear objective they focused on and completely didn't take a moment to look at stuff that seems obvious when pointed. For example lack of male sex workers mentioned a couple of times in the thread seems baffling..

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Slugnoid posted:

i might have not read through your posts closely enough, soz
I mean even if you only skimmed I literally made this disclaimer

quote:

I'm not saying the game is a monolithic tribute to transphobia just that it's kinda lame and lazy, and betrays a misunderstanding of the issue. I don't think that's an unreasonable criticism.

Because you have to include disclaimers like that every time you make even the mildest criticism like that or else people will act like you're leading a holy crusade. Apparently people do that even if you do include the disclaimers, though.

TheRat posted:

I don't feel like it's fair to blame the large score of absolute cunts on the internet on a specific dev. They're going to be awful people no matter what, the cause doesn't matter.
AAA games marketing is absolutely meant to inspire that kind of defensiveness, brand loyalty, and self-identification. It's not a problem unique to this game or even to AAA games (see the meltdowns whenever anyone of any prominence criticizes marvel movies), and the endgoal is just to get people to buy the product, not harass people online, but there's no way you can be pushing a game this hard in the year 2020 and not be aware of how people are going to react to anything negative about the game they've decided is their personality now.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

TheRat posted:

I didn't write that I blame the devs for that though. My point is that this situation doesn't deserve the 'so the haters have a problem with a what this time?' treatment and needs to be seen in the entire imo valid context.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Mordiceius posted:

I'm not saying this is explicitly a Cyberpunk 2077 thing but goddamn are so many reviewers bad at actually conveying any thought or nuance in their writing. It doesn't help that majority of the game "reviewers" are just enthusiast press that rode the video game wave to popularity and don't actually have any formal training in critiques and criticism. But then again, I feel like many film critics are just as loving bad - though the ratio is far loving less.

The only critic that I’m aware of that’s worth a gently caress is Anthony Lane.

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

TheRat posted:

I mean, yes?

My post probably made it seem like I was sarcastically following up behind yours but was just a timing glitch lol

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Scarecow posted:

the news that its just women being hypersexualized is super disappointed and even for poo poo like dead bodies in a bathtub full of ice the women are fully naked but the men have underwear on.....like really really guys come the gently caress on

Given they went so far as to make 6 types of male genitalia you can choose, the decision is pretty puzzling yeah...
Well, no puzzling, we all know what happened.

hump day bitches!
Apr 3, 2011

A while a go I read about diversity consultants and how big of a fraud they are, but gently caress if CDProjekt doesn't need one empowered with a baseball bat to go after everybody during the writing process, that and disability consultant just to give a pass over the whole thing and find some cracks at the end.

Not even on a thematical level ( like how good the writing is ) but basic functions.When you game has seizure inducing sequences your process has a flaw.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Turin Turambar posted:

I think this sentence could be very apt for the game, at least:

"It's both unique and totally derivative, futuristic and regressive, wide-open and painfully restrictive."

They should have sent a poet.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

rap music posted:

My post probably made it seem like I was sarcastically following up behind yours but was just a timing glitch lol

Alright :v:

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Endorph posted:

AAA games marketing is absolutely meant to inspire that kind of defensiveness, brand loyalty, and self-identification. It's not a problem unique to this game or even to AAA games (see the meltdowns whenever anyone of any prominence criticizes marvel movies), and the endgoal is just to get people to buy the product, not harass people online, but there's no way you can be pushing a game this hard in the year 2020 and not be aware of how people are going to react to anything negative about the game they've decided is their personality now.

A Games mod literally banned people for saying Duke Nukem Forever was bad so this isn't even exclusive to twitter.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
Is there a source that there was no warning for seizures? I can't find any.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
Maybe “How to be a fan of problematic things” should be added to the OP
https://socialjusticeleaguenet.wordpress.com/2011/09/18/how-to-be-a-fan-of-problematic-things/

am0kgonzo
Jun 18, 2010

Turin Turambar posted:

Given they went so far as to make 6 types of male genitalia you can choose, the decision is pretty puzzling yeah...
Well, no puzzling, we all know what happened.

I don't, can you explain it to me?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

doingitwrong posted:

https://socialjusticeleaguenet.wordpress.com/2011/09/18/how-to-be-a-fan-of-problematic-things/
tbh im not a fan of that sort of framing because it kind of takes as granted that there's no conversation to be had about what is/isnt problematic - if someone says something is problematic then it is. furthermore theres criticisms being made that don't really have anything to do with social justice or anything, like glitches or inconsistent writing quality. I think you can just say 'be a grown-rear end adult and accept that people make criticism sometimes.'

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

doingitwrong posted:

I thought this was gonna be an article on being a fan of finding things problematic

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

am0kgonzo posted:

My guess would be either (or some combination of):
1. Rating boards in some places hate naked male bodies
2. Someone higher up went all "dicks, ewww"
3. Someone decided that it will hurt sales.
e: adding possibly spicy point I have no idea how real it could be
4. They got some money from Polish gov, which at this moment is pretty loving right from the center (still lefty commie pinkos in US sense), and someone came to them with "remove that, do you want to make kids gay?"

I loving hope it's 1. because nothing would make my male hetero person happier than seeing a strip number by some dude that would end with him revealing 3 robotic dicks dancing like snakes and shout "I call this maneuver King Ghidorah!"

alex314 fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Dec 8, 2020

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

am0kgonzo posted:

The development leads were straight cos men.

CottonWolf fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Dec 8, 2020

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Talkc posted:

I feel really awkward as a trans woman with this game, cause i was like cool! They added options. And now im sitting here feeling like im through the looking glass, like "i guess im a stupid chud" cause of how ignorant i am about transphobia and poo poo from where i live. And by that i mean "subtle" transphobia. I'm not really endeared to the concept. In my family, and where i live its pretty substantially blatant.

I feel like i live in a loving hole where the idea that an LGBT community is a literal magic land, and nothing has highlighted that more than the dialog about this game.

I guess im the fat stupid chick who was excited that i get to run around with a dick and tits and be an action hero.

gently caress that, have fun with the game as you intended. Nobody gets to speak for how you should or shouldn't enjoy your experience.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

Talkc posted:

from what someone said earlier on you can't have a dick and tits at the same time

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

If you find the things you’ve seen in this game off-putting or unappealing then don’t play it, that’s fine, but also don’t feel like you have to put on an internal morality pageant in order to play a loving video game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

juggalo baby coffin posted:

from what someone said earlier on you can't have a dick and tits at the same time

Pretty sure that’s wrong. Body type is independent of genitalia.

Hakkesshu posted:

If you find the things you’ve seen in this game off-putting or unappealing then don’t play it, that’s fine, but also don’t feel like you have to put on an internal morality pageant in order to play a loving video game.

People are often most critical of things they love. Like, after some patches come out, I am going to play and enjoy this game, but that doesn’t change that is has flaws we can be critical of.

CottonWolf fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Dec 8, 2020