Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

are brave boys

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

Chwyldro Dawnsio Dawns
Amazon commentary just correctly observed that England likely will be the champions of the Autumn Nations Cup for all of eternity.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Tyma posted:

Amazon commentary just correctly observed that England likely will be the champions of the Autumn Nations Cup for all of eternity.

Scotland are undefeated 5 Nations Champions so hey why not.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

:scotland:

Tyma posted:

Well they gave Vunipola POTM despite being bang average all game so might as well crown England ANC champs forever just to make sure everyone knows they have one eye.

sleep with the vicious
Apr 2, 2010
Haha I missed it live and had multiple people tell me to watch the game...that is not at all what I expected!

If France can develop some of these guys and keep their young core group on the A team, they can be a real powerhouse in a year or two.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken

sleep with the vicious posted:

Haha I missed it live and had multiple people tell me to watch the game...that is not at all what I expected!

If France can develop some of these guys and keep their young core group on the A team, they can be a real powerhouse in a year or two.

France should always fluctuate between being incredibly good and incredibly poo poo.

Like winning a test in NZ, a feat few teams have achieved in the last 25 years, winning the 6 Nations with a Grand Slam, only to lose to Tonga at the subsequent RWC, fall apart behind the scenes, just scrape into the play-off rounds at that same World Cup and stumble backwards into the final, which they almost win.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

sleep with the vicious posted:

Yeah, the old quote about what French side will show up is getting more and more ominous. Will they send out the excellent established side or will they send out their 2x U20 World Championship side?

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

England really weren't great, France can really feel like they were cheated with stuff like this

https://twitter.com/derekalberts1/status/1335613471979937793

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

The last was was particularly bad, he either loses it forwards, plays it on the ground or both.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
England's greatest rugby achievement was entirely based off Neil Back successfully playing the ball on the floor without getting caught, so, uh, still sticking with Are Brave Lads

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Eddie is such a whingy baby.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I went down the rabbit hole of Nigel Owens highlights this evening and am now wishing for him to come to my dumb school tomorrow and scold all my students because I just can't be bothered anymore.

Plucky Brit
Nov 7, 2009

Swing low, sweet chariot

tarbrush posted:

England's greatest rugby achievement was entirely based off Neil Back successfully playing the ball on the floor without getting caught, so, uh, still sticking with Are Brave Lads

For a minute I thought you were referring to this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TAfepsoVPtQ

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
Hah, have never seen that before, but entirely in keeping

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

Plucky Brit posted:

For a minute I thought you were referring to this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TAfepsoVPtQ

I know Munster fans that are still psychologically scarred from that moment.

goatface posted:

Eddie is such a whingy baby.

What's he done now?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Decided everyone criticising England for barely beating France B is disrespecting them.

Because they won, you see, what more could you want?

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

Ah, typical Eddie making a scene for the press so everyone stops paying attention to the performance and pays attention to him. What a twat.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2020/dec/08/all-blacks-dominate-as-richie-mccaw-named-world-rugby-player-of-the-decade

Disagree with BOD and George North. Not because BOD isn’t one of the greats but he only played for Ireland until 2014 in the decade and obviously that was not at his peak either.

Thoughts?

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Mister Chief posted:

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2020/dec/08/all-blacks-dominate-as-richie-mccaw-named-world-rugby-player-of-the-decade

Disagree with BOD and George North. Not because BOD isn’t one of the greats but he only played for Ireland until 2014 in the decade and obviously that was not at his peak either.

Thoughts?

Yeah I think if you're including BOD then surely you have to be thinking about Dusautoir as well or even Picamoles for that matter.

If you're going to bump Kieran Reed for someone it should be Toby Faletau not Sergio really. It feels like they've just tried to get some NH players in there so duped North in there when Savea was left out.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

I think Sergio deserves his spot. When Steve Hansen is saying he's one of the best 8s in the world, especially playing for that Italy side, it's hard to argue against his inclusion. If he'd played for any other country he'd be far higher rated than he is. Falatau is outstanding but he was also in one of the best Welsh sides of all time with one of the best coaches at the time which is a big help.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/55201237

8 former international players and another 70 players aged between 25 and 55 are suing WR, the RFU, and the WRU for negligence surrounding concussions.

E: After the NFL case, it really was only a matter of time before this happened and it's important to highlight just how poo poo rugby has been at looking after players, especially once they retire.

Vaders Jester fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Dec 8, 2020

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
But their profit margins :ohdear:

Plucky Brit
Nov 7, 2009

Swing low, sweet chariot
Shontayne Hape's article on concussion is harrowing.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/shontayne-hape-my-battle-with-concussion/CGBEXHZROCMNKPAD5BYKPBAL5Y/

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Steve Thompson in group of ex-rugby union internationals to sue for brain damage - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/55201237

This one too

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

This interview between John Beattie and John Shaw was horrifying. To see the effects of concussions in the middle of on interview was frightening and should be a warning to everyone that doesn't take it seriously.

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=1144894692201414

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Scary thing is I have absolutely no idea what they can do about it without utterly changing the game

Taking heading out of football for example would be a massive change but not out of the realms of possibility, but rugby?

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

I don't think there is anything to do to take it out the game completely, rugby just has to make things as safe as possible. Lowering tackle height, immediate medical intervention, training neurologists on hand to diagnose people and not the team drs. If players are protected as much as humanly possible and given the correct support and care during and after their careers then it comes down to risk management and players able to make informed choices about the dangers of the sport instead of what happened to the players in the 90s and 00s who are suing.

I suppose the law suit comes down to the players not being made aware of the serious dangers and not given the care they needed rather than the fact that concussions happen in the sport at all but it's a very tricky thing to untangle.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
It's not even the full concussions, though all that needs doing, it's all the little micro-trauma that builds up over time unnoticed.

To stop it all you'd need to change the entire forwards game. Scrums, rucks, mauls, even completely fairly contested lineouts frequently have someone accidentally coming down on someone else's head. Tackling would need to be reworked somehow. Ban the chargedown. Probably countless other little things.

Reducing the damage would probably come down to limiting full contact training and thinning the calendar. Neither of which would go down well with the money people.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

Yeah, not beasting forwards and making them do 100 scrums in a row because coaches want to get something right would be a good start. I know the NFL has rules around how much contact training players can have in the Pre-Season so maybe something like that? It's a hell of a thing to try to get right.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

I wonder if there is much difference between league and union with the amount of damage done

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

Skarsnik posted:

I wonder if there is much difference between league and union with the amount of damage done

Some of the tackles in league that a lot of people seem to think are fine are totally wild, and I enjoy watching league but the head care seems to be a bit behind union from what I've seen.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Nige has retired from the international game.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

https://youtu.be/in3jOLBazIM

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Going out after your 100th international match is a pretty pro tier move.

fallingdownjoe
Mar 16, 2007

Please love me
It’s good to know that in this mad, fast-moving world, Wales and Australia and Fiji will always meet once every four years at the World Cup

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

fallingdownjoe posted:

It’s good to know that in this mad, fast-moving world, Wales and Australia and Fiji will always meet once every four years at the World Cup

Like sand through the hour glass...

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Best friends.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
That pool A is a bit of a wash unless Italy complete a real revolution in the next few years, though France - NZ early tournament should be an interesting watch. The other groups look like they should all be reasonably well contested.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

Group B is going to be South Africa walking it and Scotland making GBS threads the bed in spectacular fashion against Ireland unless we can sort out poo poo out very soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fallingdownjoe
Mar 16, 2007

Please love me
And Ireland will lose to France in the quarter finals. And thus the great circle ever turns.