Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Kenny Logins posted:

i like having an audio cable on my sennheiser hd 4.50s so i can plug it into my ps4 controller. it’s also an easy hack to have my kid watch netflix with headphones on the main floor tv that otherwise doesn’t have bluetooth support

sure, i’m not saying there aren’t valid use cases i’m just waiting for the flood of nerds screaming about audio quality

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
its a bra

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

mediaphage posted:

sure, i’m not saying there aren’t valid use cases i’m just waiting for the flood of nerds screaming about audio quality
yeah i don’t buy bt earbuds or headphones for obsessive audio quality. just comfort and general reliability of the bt connection

i know good modern headphones generally are pricey so i will be mildly interested to know if these are worth the asking all things considered

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

The Merkinman posted:

Apple has invented over-ear bluetooth headphones that only cost Five Hundred and Fifty U.S. Dollars

i swear i had to double check the url to be certain this wasn't one of those stupid design blog concept renders

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Kenny Logins posted:

yeah i don’t buy bt earbuds or headphones for obsessive audio quality. just comfort and general reliability of the bt connection

i know good modern headphones generally are pricey so i will be mildly interested to know if these are worth the asking all things considered

apple has yet to make a good set of headphones, i don't know why they'd start now

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

infernal machines posted:

apple has yet to make a good set of headphones, i don't know why they'd start now
lol very true. the only ones i’ve ever liked at all are the beats powersbeats pros i currently have and they are more coasting on beats design than apple

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
Can you even transmit cd quality over bluetooth 5 let alone the high bitrate audiophile garbage? Can theses even play ALAC (Apple Lossless Audio Codec) without transcoding?

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019
https://store.apple.com/xc/product/MR2C2AM/A

quote:

Using with AirPods Max or Beats Solo Pro
Connect your AirPods Max or Beats Solo Pro headphones to the audio-out port on an airplane, iPhone, iPad, Mac, or other device.

I guess they do work with an audio-to-lightning cable.

edit:

Perplx posted:

Can you even transmit cd quality over bluetooth 5 let alone the high bitrate audiophile garbage? Can theses even play ALAC (Apple Lossless Audio Codec) without transcoding?

I would think that they might at least use an Apple proprietary modification of Bluetooth when it’s connected to an Apple device (like the PS does to do very low latency audio to the controller audio jack). What does Airplay2 use?

Pulcinella fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Dec 8, 2020

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Perplx posted:

homebrew mostly works but I had it bug out and install python 3.8 and python 3.9 because of dependency crap
I had to remove the packages that depended on 3.8 then reinstall so I only had 3.9
this is the poo poo having a package manager is suppose to solve

who cares if you have two python version installed? it’s not like you will even notice the space difference

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006
imagine yourself wandering into this conversation

pram
Jun 10, 2001

mediaphage posted:

this is the dumbest loving looking case

i still want a pair but lol at being able to justify that

lmao

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Pulcinella posted:

https://store.apple.com/xc/product/MR2C2AM/A

I guess they do work with an audio-to-lightning cable.

edit:

I would think that they might at least use an Apple proprietary modification of Bluetooth when it’s connected to an Apple device (like the PS does to do very low latency audio to the controller audio jack). What does Airplay2 use?

airplay is wifi.

bluetooth 5.0 supports 2mbits per second which given the encoding / file sizes that 99.99% of people use will be fine.

also lol at “apples never made good headphones” by what metric? if you want good sitting and listening headphones, maybe? but stuff like the airpods pro are objectively good for being on the go. no, they don’t sound as “pure” as say my etymotics, but they’re way more convenient which makes me more likely to use them.

well, theoretically anyway. my so had the app and i use a pair of the jabras.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Perplx posted:

apple uses 250 kbps AAC encoding for bluetooth music, so roughly cd-quality

you're not transmitting lossless over bluetooth, but few people have the golden ears to tell the difference, and the ones that think they do buy $5000 rocks to keep their cables off the floor

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
I'm just imaging people mastering music on thing oblivious to things like bitrate, codecs and the DSP changing everything on the fly

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Pulcinella posted:

theyre definitely not 'regular' bluetooth

quote:

AirPods Max can be used as Bluetooth headphones with Apple devices using earlier software and with non-Apple devices, but functionality is limited.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

$35 aux cable lol

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

https://twitter.com/jckarter/status/1336342403423248385?s=21

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

quote:

AirPods Max come with a soft, slim Smart Case that puts AirPods Max in an ultralow power state that helps to preserve battery charge when not in use.
a power state also known as 'off'

magical

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

pram posted:

theyre definitely not 'regular' bluetooth

i think they're regular bluetooth in terms of connecting and poo poo, you just lose out on all the stuff tying into the ecosystem like siri, etc.

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man
they probably use LE audio so you need a Bluetooth adapter stack that supports 5.2 (doesn’t require a hw change relative to 5.0 and I think original btle) and if you don’t it falls back to EDR. then there’s probably a bunch of other proprietary LE interfaces for control and Siri and poo poo. but you can always fall back to EDR headset profiles that support dual channel speaker mic and some basic controls because that’s standard

^my guess anyway. who knows

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

these headphones look expensive and not that good [much like my posting]

quite a stretch to beat b&w, focal, audeze, kef, etc. on pricing not to mention sony, bose and sennheiser

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Phobeste posted:

they probably use LE audio so you need a Bluetooth adapter stack that supports 5.2 (doesn’t require a hw change relative to 5.0 and I think original btle) and if you don’t it falls back to EDR. then there’s probably a bunch of other proprietary LE interfaces for control and Siri and poo poo. but you can always fall back to EDR headset profiles that support dual channel speaker mic and some basic controls because that’s standard

^my guess anyway. who knows

how do companies typically report protocol use? the tech specs page lists 5.0 flat.

under audio tech they list:

Apple-designed dynamic driver
Active Noise Cancellation
Transparency mode
Adaptive EQ
Spatial audio with dynamic head tracking

my guess is that using it with non-apple devices means you lose out on siri, easy device switching, and poo poo like the spatial audio.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

qirex posted:

these headphones look expensive and not that good [much like my posting]

quite a stretch to beat b&w, focal, audeze, kef, etc. on pricing not to mention sony, bose and sennheiser

they're definitely going hard on the ~designer~ product line

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
im the Digital Clown

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

yeah

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
the more nerds are mad, the better iPhones sell
the more audiophiles are mad, the better AirPods sell

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003

Kenny Logins posted:

general reliability of the bt connection

:laugh:

pram
Jun 10, 2001
i already bought them. i use airpods for zoom meetings but i really hate ear buds. ive been waiting for something like this that isnt some dumbass gamer headset

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

these have been good but probably something to do with the h1 compared to my prior bt devices. not flawless, for sure, especially when switching device pairing. when they’re on the connection/range hasn’t given me grief yet

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
i use all apple devices, i have an iphone, ipad pro, and two macbook pros one work one personal. and i have some airpods. the airpods essentially never connect to the right device. i have to explicitly go in bluetooth settings and connect them. so it's just another set of bt earbuds and i don't see what all the fuss is about

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

pram posted:

i already bought them. i use airpods for zoom meetings but i really hate ear buds. ive been waiting for something like this that isnt some dumbass gamer headset
when you don't like these you can sell them and get a good plantronics like the 8200 for half the price

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

oh no clearly labeled control buttons, how will i laugh at people when they can't figure out how to change volume with my Authentically Digital Crown and Unlabeled Oval Button

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

they're ugly but they work and the mic is actually good unlike any I've tried from a not-headset company. I like my voyager focus better [just as ugly] but they're too fragile

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

can you believe people used to put up with this garbage?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

pram posted:

so there are zillions of good quality wireless headsets that are not dumbass gamer headsets yet you've been forcing yourself to use something you hate because they're apple branded and the alternative is to use something not apple branded.

i thought people like you died out along with stebe

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Jenny Agutter posted:

oh no clearly labeled control buttons, how will i laugh at people when they can't figure out how to change volume with my Authentically Digital Crown and Unlabeled Oval Button

i change the volume with the buttons on my keyboard op

Sagebrush posted:

so there are zillions of good quality wireless headsets that are not dumbass gamer headsets yet you've been forcing yourself to use something you hate because they're apple branded and the alternative is to use something not apple branded.

i thought people like you died out along with stebe

uh huh

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

$550

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

haveblue posted:

I thought that was a fancy designer handbag at first

mediaphage posted:

i was torn between that or high-tech bra storage

barkbell posted:

its a bra

https://gizmodo.com/i-thought-it-was-an-ugly-titty-purse-1845835062

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

really having a hard time seeing why you'd get the AirPods Max (lol) for $550 over something like the Sony XM4 which you can get for $280. the Sonys even come in white if that's your thing.

and I don't mean that in a "lol who'd buy an iPod when the nomad has more space" way. I just don't see any killer feature that the AirPods have other than the auto-pairing with everything on you iCloud account. the Sony headphones even have a few extra nifty Apple-like features such as automatically detecting when you are talking and turning down the music/cancelling so you can carry on a conversation.