Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The earlier clone trooper armor was known for being uncomfortable because Kaminoans weren't too familiar with the human form.

I wonder how many wrong assumptions they made about the pants area.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

Is this another case of a sci-fi author inserting a wired fetish in theirs stories? Because even though pissing and making GBS threads your pants is apart of aerospace history, I can't help but feel someone used this an an excuse to get them pampers into star wars.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Linux Pirate posted:

Is this another case of a sci-fi author inserting a wired fetish in theirs stories? Because even though pissing and making GBS threads your pants is apart of aerospace history, I can't help but feel someone used this an an excuse to get them pampers into star wars.

Chris Claremont's fetish for mind control

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008

Linux Pirate posted:

corran horn hosed an otter

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013

Linux Pirate posted:

the diapers might not be a fetish thing on their own but the story ("Rendezvous Point" by Jason Fry) also spends what i would call a suspicious amount of time talking about how sweaty and smelly the pilots get and contains a subplot about one of them pranking people by spraying animal musk on them. maybe that also is a real pilot thing i didn't know about and i've just been online too long but nonetheless: hmm.

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

Up Circle posted:

Lmfao

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

Up Circle posted:

I've been assuming that's just an artifact of different EU authors not knowing which of the eighty different alien species are humans with forehead bumps, weird bugs, or furries.

But I would love to find out that Corran Horn hosed an otter in the same book (or the same author) that the otters were described.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Speleothing posted:

I've been assuming that's just an artifact of different EU authors not knowing which of the eighty different alien species are humans with forehead bumps, weird bugs, or furries.

But I would love to find out that Corran Horn hosed an otter in the same book (or the same author) that the otters were described.

Nope, it's 100% deliberate by the author. It's not an event that happens in the book, but something that happened in Corran's past and the story of him going out and getting it on with a Selonian gets told when another human pilot (Gavin Darklighter) asks him about relationships with non-humans, as he's interested in a Bothan (Asyr Sei'lar). The whole point ends up being "Yeah, the sex was amazing, but it turned out Corran was kinda allergic to her fur and afterwards it felt like he was sunburned all over, and she was kinda allergic to his sweat, so there's all sorts of stuff you have to think about for interspecies sexy times," plus there were cultural aspects that made it so they knew it would never be a long term thing. Unlike Bothans, whose exact depiction and appearance has varied a fair bit over the years before it was more or less finalized, AFAIK Selonians were always basically otter-like.

fartknocker fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Nov 27, 2020

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
I've found myself in otter situations than this!

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy
The whole scene is especially weird because if you take away the whole human/Selonian (space otter people) weirdness it's basically a conversation about how they hooked up, realized it wouldn't work, and were super cool and adult about it. Totally out of character for an X-Wing pilot.

Disclaimer: I last read this as a teenager

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Mass Effect has a lot of stuff in the codex about right-handed and left-handed amino acids, so species with dextro-proteins can't process foods made from sinister-proteins and vice versa. There's a conversation you can overhear where a turian is really trying to Nice Guy his quarian friend after she broke up with her last boyfriend, and he's commenting that she should at least date somebody who can eat the same food as her (Turians and quarians are the only major dextro-protein species in the setting).

Of course, that conversation also goes on to reveal that quarian suits have built-in vibrating functions, and later when you find the Shadow Broker and look at his secret files on your squadmates, you can see Tali's suit log about uninstalling and reinstalling a stimulation program.

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012

SlothfulCobra posted:

Mass Effect has a lot of stuff in the codex about right-handed and left-handed amino acids, so species with dextro-proteins can't process foods made from sinister-proteins and vice versa. There's a conversation you can overhear where a turian is really trying to Nice Guy his quarian friend after she broke up with her last boyfriend, and he's commenting that she should at least date somebody who can eat the same food as her (Turians and quarians are the only major dextro-protein species in the setting).

Of course, that conversation also goes on to reveal that quarian suits have built-in vibrating functions, and later when you find the Shadow Broker and look at his secret files on your squadmates, you can see Tali's suit log about uninstalling and reinstalling a stimulation program.

Plus if you romance Garrus, Mordin tells Shepard not to swallow

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

OctoberCountry posted:

Plus if you romance Garrus, Mordin tells Shepard not to swallow

Lol I don’t remember that at all.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Mordin gives medical advice for every romance option. Although I can't find any advice on asari, which is weird, since that's the romance option that can actually kill you ingame. That's on top of alluding to some member of the crew having some alien dog disease that may be an STD and advising the guy with glass bones on robot sex. Mass Effect is at most 10% alien sex by volume, but sometimes it just takes over everything.

Also maybe more people would like Thane if they leaned heavier into the :catdrugs: where can trip by licking him like a toad.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

SlothfulCobra posted:

Also maybe more people would like Thane if they leaned heavier into the :catdrugs: where can trip by licking him like a toad.

Personal favorite thing I saw playing with that:

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Jazerus posted:

why does my thread title keep getting changed to be dull. this ain't star wars science, that's for the people who debate the specs of star destroyers

this is a thread about corran horn loving an otter, and other science facts

btw while star wars is the main focus please feel free to post other science facts as the mood strikes you. i would be particularly curious to see star trek EU as my only exposure to it is a couple of shatner novels and, well

I listened to one of those on a plane. it was one where quark and rom go to space Dachau because the bajorians are sorta almost at war with the ferengi or some weird poo poo.

Defiance Industries posted:

I guess Stackpole no longer has the pull to make them literally put him in the game as his self-insert character like they did for the CCG.

Behold, the man so charismatic and handsome that every woman falls in love with him and every man begs to be his friend.

dave anthony in space.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Luke sold the burnt out husk of the Lars family farm to an alien named Throgg. Throgg was later dispossessed by Biggs Darklighter’s dad, who convinced the local authorities to pass a racist ballot initiative to expropriate him. Facts

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

skasion posted:

Luke sold the burnt out husk of the Lars family farm to an alien named Throgg. Throgg was later dispossessed by Biggs Darklighter’s dad, who convinced the local authorities to pass a racist ballot initiative to expropriate him. Facts

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Let's talk about Boba Fett for way longer than anyone should care.

He shows up in the holiday special riding a dinosaur, kidnaps Han in Empire and gets owned pretty thoroughly by a blind Han in Jedi, falling into a pit, never to be seen on film again. But his armor looks cool and he's not scared by Vader, so fans have latched onto him as someone who must have an awesome backstory and can't possibly be as lame and ineffective as he is in the movies.

Enter DKM

Daniel Keys Moran

He's a pretty heavy sci fi writer and computer programmer who maintains multiple blogs, writes a lot about AI, and I honestly know very little about him beyond his wikipedia page. The eye patch is real; he lost an eye due to macular degeneration back in 2005.

Back in the 90s, Kevin J Anderson put together three of the best/worst anthologies to ever grace the Star Wars universe, Tales from... and DKM contributed one to each of them.

In Tales from Mos Eisley Cantina, he wrote a wonderfully ridiculous story about the devil looking guy who, it turns out, is a huge fan of the cantina band, loves their music, has a massive record collection, and incidentally is a masive war criminal responsible for millions of deaths with a huge bounty on his head. He gets captured by Boba Fett in the novella DKM wrote for Tales of the Bounty Hunters

In Tales from Jabba's Palace, DKM wrote a weird story about Boba Fett slowly going nuts and hallucinating while in the sarlacc pit. In this story, we learn that not only did Jabba offer Princess Leia to Fett for the night (Fett declined and IIRC slept on the floor, considering the whole situation disgusting), but also, more importantly, that Fett's helmet has a retractable straw, so he can drink without showing his face.

They edited this Boba Fett story so much that he had it published under a psudonym

quote:

I don’t know what happened with “A Barve Like That.” I agreed to do it, then they told me I couldn’t really write my outline, where Fett spent years down in the Sarlacc; he could only be down there for a day or two. So I wrote that story. Then they told me the Sarlacc couldn’t be intelligent, which was the actual center of the weakened story, so I took all the Sarlacc’s contribution to the story and gave it to one of Fett’s fellow prisoners “Susejo,” or O Jesus backwards. I’ve had people write me telling me they loved that story, and OK, but man, it was only a shadow of what it should have been. In its final form Fett falls into the Sarlacc, argues with a fellow prisoner, and climbs back out again. Eh.

Finally, in Tales of the Bounty Hunters, we learn that Boba Fett used to be Jaster Mereel, who was basically Judge Dredd, exiled from his planet after killing a corrupt superior officer. It's an otherwise fairly alright space cowboy story, retelling the original Star Wars films from Fett's POV, and literally ending with Han and Fett in a Mexican standoff on a desert planet with no resolution to who gets shot and killed. It also includes the death of Jodo Kast, who we'll get to in a moment.

But, this story does lead into one of the weirdest attempts by fans to make everything true. See, a couple years after the novella was published, Attack of the Clones comes out, and Lucas gives Fett an entirely different backstory (different still from Lucas' original idea back in Empire, where Fett would be Vader's brother). But these fans want cool space Judge Dredd, not weird clone storm trooper kid, but they also can't deny the events of the movies as being more "real" (whatever that means) than the published fan fiction.

The stories had to fit together, somehow. As we all know, it can't be that Lucas didn't read and doesn't care about KJA's anthologies.

Thus, Jaster Mereel was Jango Fett's adopted father, killed during the Mandalorian Civil War, and uh.. we're just going to quote from Wookiepedia here...

quote:

Boba would unwittingly follow in his grandfather's footsteps, becoming a Journeyman Protector only to be exiled from Concord Dawn after killing a superior officer. In Boba's case, however, the officer in question was a man by the name of Lenovar whom he had greatly respected, and whom Boba killed after Lenovar raped Boba's wife, Sintas Vel.

Fett and Sintas divorced over the tumultuous incident, and Sintas was left to care for their daughter alone. Just prior to Ailyn's sixteenth birthday, Sintas accepted a job in order to buy her daughter a present, a job that would leave her trapped in carbonite for close to forty years, until her granddaughter, Mirta Gev, located her on Phaeda. Sintas was rescued and taken to Mandalore, although she was initially blind and suffering from amnesia due to the years spent in carbon-freeze. With the help of her granddaughter, a regretful Boba Fett, and a Jedi Knight-turned-Mandalorian by the name of Gotab, Sintas was able to regain both her sight and memory, allowing her to make peace with Fett and to get to know her granddaughter, Mirta.

Star Wars, everybody!

The Most Star Wars Novel Quote posted:

"Ah, Jodo Kast, finally we meet. Normally I do not retain an individual I have not met, but your reputation precedes you."
―Zekka Thyne, to Mitth'raw'nuruodo disguised as Jodo Kast

Now, onto Jodo Kast. This guy was invented as a literal palate swap of Boba Fett for the WEG Star Wars RPG, so that players of lower level could interact with/fight Fett without making Fett look as weak and dumb as he is in the movies, and, if killed by the players, it wouldn't effect the events of the movies (because heaven forbid your RPG campaign diverge from the source material!).

Jodo Kast is orange, Boba Fett is red

Kast was a former Reoublic special ops soldier who killed a Mandalorian mercenary named, I poo poo you not, Feskitt Bobb, whom Kast has mistaken for Boba Fett. Kast took his armor, and started bopping around the galaxy, letting people think he was Boba Fett (who, after all, he'd just killed, and thus was entitled to the name).

The problem being that Kast kinda sucked, and so fans everywhere had a wonderful out: whenever Boba Fett did somethign stupid, or looked weak, or something dumb happened to him, it was Jodo Kast, not Boba Fett.

Kast was killed not once, but twice, by Boba Fett, both in the aforementioned novella in Tales of the Bounty Hunters, but also in a comic called Twin Engines of Destruction.

Why the fans don't try to recocile this is a mystery we will never solve.

I like to imagine the fight actually went something like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4ByYrpgnC8

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

While we're on the topic, holy poo poo the Boba Fett armor looks so cheap and lovely compared to the other mandalorian sets we see in the show.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM
Apparently the knee darts he uses in the last episode were only ever mentioned in one of those kids books where they show a picture of a costume, prop, or space ship and point out a bunch a facts about it.

EDIT - Star Wars Visual Dictionary

Super Waffle fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Dec 8, 2020

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Super Waffle posted:

Apparently the knee darts he uses in the last episode were only ever mentioned in one of those kids books where they show a picture of a costume, prop, or space ship and point out a bunch a facts about it.

This is one of the things I'm really enjoying about the Mandalorian. I'm only on episode four of season one, but there's been a ton of little things just sprinkled throughout that say "I, the writer, am intimately familiar with the Star Wars universe, but I'm also not going to be a weirdo about it". Things like the protagonist carrying the same rifle that Boba Fett did in the animated holiday special, or mentioning off handedly that Mandalorians used to ride the dinosaur looking things that Fett rides in that same cartoon. They're fun if you pick up on them, but if you don't, they don't effect your enjoyment of the show.

I feel like under a different writer/director, that scene with Werner Herzog when the protagonist hands over the child would have gone like "Ah, a Bespinian Ice Cream transporter. I've heard of these being used on Cloud City to transport important plans" or something dumb like that. instead, Herzog just sets it on the table, you the viewer either get the reference or you don't, then it opens to show the beskar and the plot keeps moving. If you haven't obsessivly watched Empire/followed Star Wars memes, the scene still works, because it's obviously some sort of space briefcase, and this is the scene in every crime movie where the bad guy pays for something with a briefcase full of money.

That's how you do an effective continuity wank; use the aesthetic well and don't rely on folks having outside information to make the plot move forward. You don't need to "reward" fans for knowing who secretly blew out the birthday candles at Mon Mothma and General Dodonna's joint birthday party, prompting Booster Terrik to tell Mara Jade to propose to Luke (it was Carnor Jax, acting under orders from Lumiya).

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Toph Bei Fong posted:

That's how you do an effective continuity wank; use the aesthetic well and don't rely on folks having outside information to make the plot move forward. You don't need to "reward" fans for knowing who secretly blew out the birthday candles at Mon Mothma and General Dodonna's joint birthday party, prompting Booster Terrik to tell Mara Jade to propose to Luke (it was Carnor Jax, acting under orders from Lumiya).

bossk delivered the cake. the candles were a betrayal

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

Toph Bei Fong posted:

Let's talk about Boba Fett for way longer than anyone should care.

He shows up in the holiday special riding a dinosaur, kidnaps Han in Empire and gets owned pretty thoroughly by a blind Han in Jedi, falling into a pit, never to be seen on film again. But his armor looks cool and he's not scared by Vader, so fans have latched onto him as someone who must have an awesome backstory and can't possibly be as lame and ineffective as he is in the movies.

Enter DKM

Daniel Keys Moran

He's a pretty heavy sci fi writer and computer programmer who maintains multiple blogs, writes a lot about AI, and I honestly know very little about him beyond his wikipedia page. The eye patch is real; he lost an eye due to macular degeneration back in 2005.

Back in the 90s, Kevin J Anderson put together three of the best/worst anthologies to ever grace the Star Wars universe, Tales from... and DKM contributed one to each of them.

In Tales from Mos Eisley Cantina, he wrote a wonderfully ridiculous story about the devil looking guy who, it turns out, is a huge fan of the cantina band, loves their music, has a massive record collection, and incidentally is a masive war criminal responsible for millions of deaths with a huge bounty on his head. He gets captured by Boba Fett in the novella DKM wrote for Tales of the Bounty Hunters

In Tales from Jabba's Palace, DKM wrote a weird story about Boba Fett slowly going nuts and hallucinating while in the sarlacc pit. In this story, we learn that not only did Jabba offer Princess Leia to Fett for the night (Fett declined and IIRC slept on the floor, considering the whole situation disgusting), but also, more importantly, that Fett's helmet has a retractable straw, so he can drink without showing his face.

They edited this Boba Fett story so much that he had it published under a psudonym

Finally, in Tales of the Bounty Hunters, we learn that Boba Fett used to be Jaster Mereel, who was basically Judge Dredd, exiled from his planet after killing a corrupt superior officer. It's an otherwise fairly alright space cowboy story, retelling the original Star Wars films from Fett's POV, and literally ending with Han and Fett in a Mexican standoff on a desert planet with no resolution to who gets shot and killed. It also includes the death of Jodo Kast, who we'll get to in a moment.

But, this story does lead into one of the weirdest attempts by fans to make everything true. See, a couple years after the novella was published, Attack of the Clones comes out, and Lucas gives Fett an entirely different backstory (different still from Lucas' original idea back in Empire, where Fett would be Vader's brother). But these fans want cool space Judge Dredd, not weird clone storm trooper kid, but they also can't deny the events of the movies as being more "real" (whatever that means) than the published fan fiction.

The stories had to fit together, somehow. As we all know, it can't be that Lucas didn't read and doesn't care about KJA's anthologies.

Thus, Jaster Mereel was Jango Fett's adopted father, killed during the Mandalorian Civil War, and uh.. we're just going to quote from Wookiepedia here...

Star Wars, everybody!

Now, onto Jodo Kast. This guy was invented as a literal palate swap of Boba Fett for the WEG Star Wars RPG, so that players of lower level could interact with/fight Fett without making Fett look as weak and dumb as he is in the movies, and, if killed by the players, it wouldn't effect the events of the movies (because heaven forbid your RPG campaign diverge from the source material!).

Jodo Kast is orange, Boba Fett is red

Kast was a former Reoublic special ops soldier who killed a Mandalorian mercenary named, I poo poo you not, Feskitt Bobb, whom Kast has mistaken for Boba Fett. Kast took his armor, and started bopping around the galaxy, letting people think he was Boba Fett (who, after all, he'd just killed, and thus was entitled to the name).

The problem being that Kast kinda sucked, and so fans everywhere had a wonderful out: whenever Boba Fett did somethign stupid, or looked weak, or something dumb happened to him, it was Jodo Kast, not Boba Fett.

Kast was killed not once, but twice, by Boba Fett, both in the aforementioned novella in Tales of the Bounty Hunters, but also in a comic called Twin Engines of Destruction.

Why the fans don't try to recocile this is a mystery we will never solve.

I like to imagine the fight actually went something like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4ByYrpgnC8

Thank you for this

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I genuinely don't understand the fascination with Boba Fett. He stands around, makes a single delivery and then dies like a bitch.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

I genuinely don't understand the fascination with Boba Fett. He stands around, makes a single delivery and then dies like a bitch.

He had a cool helmet.

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

He looks like he's wearing cargo sweatpants

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I mainly know Jango Fett's backstory from his video game that had his origin comic book contained as collectable pages.

Jango had a lady Watto as his friend planning his missions for him and met Zam Wessell while trying to capture a Sebulba. And he sure did set a lot of civilians on fire to see them roll around on the ground 'til they die.

Not too hard to look good against this lineup.

Probably the holiday special also built up his appeal, since the cartoon may be the most bearable part of the whole thing, and with it only airing once, there'd be a lot more vague memories and rumors buzzing around the characters. But I can only really guess at what the 80s mindset was like.

They tried to recreate the same effect with Phazma, but a silver stormtrooper who probably only ever did more stormtrooper stuff and doesn't have any bizarre rare media isn't anywhere nearly as evocative to the imagination.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Basically, he is. Flightsuits ave weird pockets because you're always sitting down in them.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

the kids love dengar

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell
You just got Bossk'd

Boss, it's RIGHT there in his name

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

4-LOM's concussion rifle was loving sick

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

This hits it right on the head:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jn_J425eo3Q

Basically, he looks cool, and he should be evil space Batman/Judge Dredd/Javert based on all the subsidiary media. There's a version of Fett in their heads that doesn't really sync up to what happens in the movies. And since Star Wars has a running theme of "Evil looks cool but loses and is dumb" (Ref. Anakin, Kylo, Stormtroopers) it shouldn't be too much of a surprise that Fett vastly underperforms and is all hype.

Personally, I want a Boba Fett movie wherein Fett is revealed as an incompetent buffoon who lucks his way into each bounty. He was just leaving a party that Dengar and 4-LOM were at and ended up on the Star Destroyer. He didn't intend to park in the garbage disposal area, it was just the only place they could fit his ship, and he lucked into the Falcon being there. His voice is actually pretty high pitched, and only sounds scary because of the faulty voice changer in his helmet: "He's no used to me, covered in lead!" he tries to tell Vader, which leads to an awkward sequence of Fett trying to convince Jabba that, no, no, really, it's better this way, because, uh *collar tug* you can hang him on the wall!

Maybe a "Weekend at Boba's" style comedy, where Fett is trying to collect a bounty, but finds the dead guy's ATM card and receipt first, and tries to get at the guy's bank account before turning him in, but it turns out that the quarry had an exact twin brother (another bounty hunter, who decided to hunt his own brother) who is trying the same bank account scheme, so Fett and he are in the bank line at the same time, and do a double take as they turn to face one another real slowly, then guns start blazing and Boba is somehow hit in the rocket pack by a blind guy, sending both Boba and the corpse of the quarry (who is tied to Boba's waist with rope and "space wire" to help articulate his one arm) flying out the front doors, and the other bounty hunter gets arrested by the cops for trying to rob the bank.

The storylines are basically endless. I think this franchise would have a lot of sequel possibilities, and could probably be made using many of the existing costumes and sets already on hand from the Mandalorian, so it wouldn't need a huge budget.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
Gand Findsmen should have gotten the amount of deep loyalty that Mandolorians recieved :colbert:

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

karmicknight posted:

Gand Findsmen should have gotten the amount of deep loyalty that Mandolorians recieved :colbert:

Bring back Ooryl!

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Cornwind Evil posted:

It really does show that the whole sequel trilogy has Legends DNA all through it.

"Here's the Empire's successors. Their Star Destroyer is twice as big as the Empire's basic Star Destroyer and they built a weapon into a planet that drains stars to power it and can shoot interstellar distances in minutes in a way that allows people on planets to see the shots like they were jet trails." Okay fine, somewhat acceptable if that was basically all they had-"They have a whole bunch of the better Star Destroyers and ones twice as big as those who can take out whole fleets and oh look the guy in charge flies around in a ship three times as big as the Super Star Destroyer Executor and also they have a portable low powered death star laser". Well I suppose some indulgence is "And another hidden part of the Empire built hundreds of OTHER Star Destroyers who also all had stripped down Death Star lasers."

Speaking of the Darksaber, there was its proto-form from the comic, the Tarkin, which was bigged up for being even more dangerous than the Death Star for the same reason the Darksaber ended up sucking so badly, barring the whole 'cheaping out on construction' parts. Also, it supposedly existed because the writer of the comic, David Michelinie, went to his bosses and said "Hey, I'm gonna have the Empire built a second Death Star' and they were like NO NO NO YOU CAN'T DO THAT without saying just why (the comic came out in mid 1981), so he did the Tarkin instead.

Seriously, with all the poo poo that the Empire had built/was building in the old EU, the First Order's excesses seem positively spartan.

TBF it's totally on-brand for the Empire to be building wunderwaffen but very off-brand for any of it to ever work

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy

Polaron posted:

Bring back Ooryl!

I continue to maintain the ending to this series is going to be Rogue/Wraith Squadron coming to the rescue of Din and the Child. There's no way they could possibly escalate how awesome this show is any farther.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Polaron posted:

Bring back Ooryl!

It's amazing how he managed to come off as pretty likeable and interesting despite being paired with Stackpole's self-insert. I think he might genuinely be the best character Hackpole ever made.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

It's amazing how he managed to come off as pretty likeable and interesting despite being paired with Stackpole's self-insert. I think he might genuinely be the best character Hackpole ever made.

Being paired with Corran meant he got among the most development of any character in those books, since Stackpole couldn’t ignore him like he tended to do with half the squadron.

I forget which of the various Star Wars threads I mentioned this in a while ago (The Squadrons one maybe?) but Stackpole’s X-wing books always have 3-4 Rogues who solely exist to be listed in the roster at the start, mentioned once or twice, and then die with minimal impact if any on the story. They might as well not even get names, just “Rogue 8” or whatever. Probably the best (Worst?) example of that is Gavin’s wingman, Riv Shiel, who across 4 books has like 3 total lines of dialogue and anything about his background is discussed in passing to talk other characters (Usually Corran). For someone around that long into the series, he basically isn’t developed at all.

The obvious contrast to this is the Wraith books, where all of them get at least a little fleshing out, actual lines of dialogue, and some bits of characterization. It makes them all far more memorable, even the ones who only last a portion of one book. It’s a shame Aaron Allston never got to do more with them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

fartknocker posted:

Being paired with Corran meant he got among the most development of any character in those books, since Stackpole couldn’t ignore him like he tended to do with half the squadron.

I forget which of the various Star Wars threads I mentioned this in a while ago (The Squadrons one maybe?) but Stackpole’s X-wing books always have 3-4 Rogues who solely exist to be listed in the roster at the start, mentioned once or twice, and then die with minimal impact if any on the story. They might as well not even get names, just “Rogue 8” or whatever. Probably the best (Worst?) example of that is Gavin’s wingman, Riv Shiel, who across 4 books has like 3 total lines of dialogue and anything about his background is discussed in passing to talk other characters (Usually Corran). For someone around that long into the series, he basically isn’t developed at all.

The obvious contrast to this is the Wraith books, where all of them get at least a little fleshing out, actual lines of dialogue, and some bits of characterization. It makes them all far more memorable, even the ones who only last a portion of one book. It’s a shame Aaron Allston never got to do more with them.

That's pretty normal for him. Also, every other character in the squadron seems to only exist in relation to Corran, because Stackpole can't fathom a world where you aren't totally infatuated with him. Like the guy who exists only to be his rival and then fucks off when Corran is established as being the best in the squadron, or the girl who only exists to be clearly evil and horny for him.