Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RangerKarl
Oct 7, 2013
The problem was getting a fire going (I forgot how to get sheet metal for braziers, but that's all sorted now)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jarf
Jun 25, 2006

PLATINUM

What's the best power source for a vehicle? Plutonium mini-reactor?

I have a big ol' death wagon with four automated laser turrets. It has a large electric motor and a huge diesel engine with a generator attached to it but when under attack this thing can guzzle diesel like nobodies business.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

The mini reactor is the densest source of power, yes

It's a must-have if you're making extensive use of laser weaponry

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

I'm sorry, did I break all your shit? I didn't know it was yours

Jarf posted:

What's the best power source for a vehicle? Plutonium mini-reactor?

I have a big ol' death wagon with four automated laser turrets. It has a large electric motor and a huge diesel engine with a generator attached to it but when under attack this thing can guzzle diesel like nobodies business.

You can also plaster every spare roof space with solar panels, been a while since I last played but they can refill a battery fairly quickly in daytime even in poor weather. They won’t power the turrets by themselves but they can ensure you don’t need to idle the engine to recharge quite as much.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
Min reactor can make quick recharging a breeze if you are constantly using energy weapons and works well for every vehicle size.

You can get really really good mileage out of solar panels and enough storage batteries too though, if you have a bit of time between fights and stay around your vehicle reading/crafting or whatever.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

If you are scouring entire towns, the panels won't be enough though but you can use them in conjunction with the reactor to reduce fuel consumption

Spoggerific
May 28, 2009
I remember several pages back people were complaining about laser turrets being removed. Are they still in as part of aftershock, or is it some other mod? And where would I find them? I suppose labs?

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Spoggerific posted:

I remember several pages back people were complaining about laser turrets being removed. Are they still in as part of aftershock, or is it some other mod? And where would I find them? I suppose labs?

Aftershock is the mod you want, and labs and military outposts (the places with turrets on all sides) are the best candidates for finding them, barring the extremely rare hornet's nest in town where you find high tech goods.

With aftershock installed, one of the science lab computer-locked rooms is a "Weapons Testing" room, they are a good candidate. Other than that, you can also find them at the final chamber of some science labs.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Oh, and the thing you're looking for is A7 laser rifles. They can be installed in vehicle turret mounts in aftershock.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
I think the thing that was being removed was solar powered laser turrets and the whole thing wasn't as dumb as it sounded, it's just that the devs involved (as usual) took the opportunity to poop all over the player base for wanting to have fun and it kind of blew up

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.
What's good mid to late game armor to shoot for? All survivor gear?

Jarf
Jun 25, 2006

PLATINUM

Mr. Lobe posted:

The mini reactor is the densest source of power, yes

It's a must-have if you're making extensive use of laser weaponry

Got a minireactor. It owns. Is there any way to have it toggle on and off dependant on battery power?

Like the smart engine controller.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Coolguye posted:

Yeah, the prison start is the one I never truly solved. The loving bots on the egress are an intractable problem. The concrete walls are not bashable, even with a homewrecker, so you have no place to go but straight out, which is instant death.

The best solution I came up with was to set the prison top level on fire and then try to hang out for it to incinerate the whole place, but the blazing fire will cook you alive, and if you go down back to your cell to basically wait it out the fire leaves your reality bubble and won't burn the prison down.
For a while, you couldn't shoot through grates, but enemies would still try to. So you could get the bots to waste all their ammo that way. You still could do something similar to that (at least in fairly recent builds, might've changed in the last few months?), where you play with line of sight. Anyone using ranged weapons often knows that it's possible to get line of sight on a tile you can't actually shoot, because your bullet would clip the wall instead. Put yourself in such a spot and any armed foe will waste all its ammo shooting the wall. Fine way to run out turrets, if you don't mind waiting through literally hundreds of shots and not getting spare ammo for defeating it.

Barring that, yeah, getting past the bots is tough as hell. You might have had a chance to throw smoke and "sneak" through to the front door but I'm pretty sure the bots have better detection than you so that'd be an absolute crapshoot with the odds against you.

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

I'm sorry, did I break all your shit? I didn't know it was yours

Kevin DuBrow posted:

What's good mid to late game armor to shoot for? All survivor gear?

Definitely, although if you are planning on going up against something bad, a suit of armour never hurts

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Jarf posted:

Got a minireactor. It owns. Is there any way to have it toggle on and off dependant on battery power?

Like the smart engine controller.

Alas, not that I can tell

Just keep an eye on your juice and activate it selectively.

Spoggerific
May 28, 2009
Speaking of armor, my world is in summer and I'm still getting heat slowdown even while completely naked. The default length for seasons now is apparently 90 days, too, which means I'm going to be unable to use pretty much any armor for almost 3 times as long as my current character has lasted.

Is there any way to use debug (or an outside utility) to change the temperature, accelerate time, or maybe shorten seasons on an existing world?

Mr. Lobe posted:

Aftershock is the mod you want, and labs and military outposts (the places with turrets on all sides) are the best candidates for finding them, barring the extremely rare hornet's nest in town where you find high tech goods.

With aftershock installed, one of the science lab computer-locked rooms is a "Weapons Testing" room, they are a good candidate. Other than that, you can also find them at the final chamber of some science labs.

Thanks. I've got a sniper rifle with ammo, a scope, and some decent shooting skills now, so I should be able to take out turrets at range on the overworld now. I'm still worried about labs since they're much closer quarters and I can't wear any armor, but maybe I could try my hand at a cold lab or something.

It's pretty dumb that they're removing a ton of fun stuff because it's not "realistic", but at least they seem to be just shoving it all into the aftershock mod instead of removing it from the game entirely.

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
take advantage of the fact that you dont need any clothes and swim around in the rivers! summer is perfect for exploration since you dont need to carry food and theres more light than other seasons.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Slaapaav posted:

take advantage of the fact that you dont need any clothes and swim around in the rivers! summer is perfect for exploration since you dont need to carry food and theres more light than other seasons.

*Trudges around in a super-heavy survivor suit*

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

I WILL PUT THIS FLAG ON FREAKING EVERYTHING BECAUSE IT IS SYMBOLIC AS HELL SOMEHOW

Could have sworn the survivor suit was removed for being overpowered and unrealistic, though I would be happy to be wrong

Spoggerific
May 28, 2009
I've got a camp set up with two NPCs as members, and I'm trying to use the bulletin board to send one of them off to cut logs. I'm able to select a nearby forest, after which the game gives me an estimate of how long the trip will take and how much food it will use up. I have a basecamp food zone set up with a decent amount of food in it, but when I try to finalize the order I get an error that I don't have enough food to send people on the job.

Could this be related to the fact that I have the "Disable NPC Needs" mod enabled? Or could it be because most of the food is in raw (dried rice, beans, etc.) or canned (fruit jam, pickled fish, etc.) forms, and it needs to be cooked first?

Sorry for the constant barrage of questions, but this thread has been really helpful in figuring out a lot of stuff in this game.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
I haven't used camps in a good while, but there was a function at the time where you could basically turn food in the food dropoff zone into "saved" calories. More or less converting all food into a singular currency-like number that would then fuel all actions like the aforementioned logging. So it's possible I guess that the food just hasn't been counted as delivered yet?

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Inglonias posted:

Could have sworn the survivor suit was removed for being overpowered and unrealistic, though I would be happy to be wrong

It's a lot harder to make with the new proficiencies system. If you haven't mastered the arts of advanced polymer sewing, garment closures, fabric waterproofing, and leatherworking, then it will take literal weeks of solid labor. Compounded with the new exhaustion system, it is not something you can finish in 5 days after starting the game like it was before.

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

How come the CDDA launcher shows that "no fungus" is turned on but when I load from the launcher I don't get that option when I create a new world?

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

I WILL PUT THIS FLAG ON FREAKING EVERYTHING BECAUSE IT IS SYMBOLIC AS HELL SOMEHOW

queserasera posted:

How come the CDDA launcher shows that "no fungus" is turned on but when I load from the launcher I don't get that option when I create a new world?

The mod selection menu has a separate category for exclusions. Try pressing ">" when selecting mods.

If the mod isn't in the exclusion mods section, check the modinfo.json file to see if that mod was marked as obsolete. It shouldn't have been, (and it isn't in the mainline repo right now) but that's the only reason I can think of besides "the mod selection UI is not intuitive"

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
I remember some build from like months ago when i was playing I had character do all their reading in a small swimming pool with a mp3 player on for maximum mood effects. I think that character wound up with like a swimming skill of 30 by the time summer was done and could swim in a suit of platemail.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
is swimming actually relevant in the newer builds or is that mostly to flex on the game

e: to be clear, flexing on the game is hilarious and should be encouraged, i just want to clarify

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
It's convenient as a shortcut sometimes, I guess, but I can't recall there ever being any need to swim for anything.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007

Mr. Lobe posted:

It's a lot harder to make with the new proficiencies system. If you haven't mastered the arts of advanced polymer sewing, garment closures, fabric waterproofing, and leatherworking, then it will take literal weeks of solid labor. Compounded with the new exhaustion system, it is not something you can finish in 5 days after starting the game like it was before.

I've been playing Bright Nights for most of the year, so I honestly cannot tell if you're kidding.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Arven posted:

I've been playing Bright Nights for most of the year, so I honestly cannot tell if you're kidding.

read it and weep

personally I don't mind the addition but if you were used to being able to do just about anything in a week with optimal play I could see it harshing the enjoyment

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

The compounding effects of proficiencies are even greater on heavy survivor armor

on the bright side I believe both varieties of armor are less encumbering than they were in the base game when the pockets are empty

Mr. Lobe fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Dec 8, 2020

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Coolguye posted:

is swimming actually relevant in the newer builds or is that mostly to flex on the game

e: to be clear, flexing on the game is hilarious and should be encouraged, i just want to clarify

Nothing applicably useful no. I just noticed how stupid high it eventually got and wanted to see what I could get away with.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Caidin posted:

Nothing applicably useful no. I just noticed how stupid high it eventually got and wanted to see what I could get away with.

And while we're on this topic somebody should flood a laboratory once in a while so we could do some diving!

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

That proficiency system is appalling and an affront to all gods.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I assume you gain proficiencies via random skillbook drops?

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Mr. Lobe posted:

read it and weep

personally I don't mind the addition but if you were used to being able to do just about anything in a week with optimal play I could see it harshing the enjoyment

Lord above. This is what happens when you believe tedium is challenge and waiting is gameplay. That is he most boring poo poo I've ever seen. There was really some sad nerd out there who believed that cool improvised wasteland armor was bad and eight different kinds of sewing practice were good.

More skills should mean more things to do, not that things that already exist should require more skills.

Spoggerific
May 28, 2009

The Lone Badger posted:

I assume you gain proficiencies via random skillbook drops?

No, it's from making a recipe that uses the proficiency. IIRC it's based on how long you've been working on relevant recipes. For what it's worth it's entirely possible that you'll earn one or more proficiencies while working on the item, and that means the remaining time to craft will go down as well. For something like the "4 weeks and 5 days" suit, you're probably going to get several if not all of those proficiencies as you work on it.

I personally don't mind it either, especially since the seasons are longer. Crafting big stuff is a good way to kill a lot of time after you've finished reading all the books you've found. It'd be cooler if having the proficiencies actually gave you some new ability, like maybe sharpening swords or reducing encumbrance on relevant garments, but I think right now the only proficiency that has any effect outside of crafting times is lockpicking.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Season length has been changable for at least a few years, so it sounds like they just made it default to higher.

Each of my seasons is 147 days or something.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Apparently every season is now actually three months long, which seems kind of excessive. I usually set it lower than the default even back when that was still 28 days, because it's a rarity that any character of mine survives for that long (or keeps my interest for that long) anyway and I actually want to see a few of them over the course of a typical game. I suppose it makes sense if you're expected to do things like spending almost month and a half doing nothing but crafting one single suit of armor, but I think I'd rather play the game in that time instead of waiting for it to finish playing itself.

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

I'm thinking after the next stable build comes out we should just gooncrawl the heck out of this thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spoggerific
May 28, 2009
I prefer shorter seasons myself, but I made my current character without realizing that the seasons are longer now, and I've already put too much effort in this world to remake with shorter seasons. As far as I know there's no way to change season length after character creation, either.