Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Was just looking at the entry for Super on Amazon Prime and they already changed the name in the credits to Elliot Page, that's pretty cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.

feedmyleg posted:

Why else do you think sunlight gives him his powers? He's a dang cold-blooded lizard.

Superman is no lizard! He's our last defense against the drat reptilians. I mean, he would be, if he was real. Which he's not. The reptilians are, though.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Carly Gay Dead Son posted:

Superman is no lizard! He's our last defense against the drat reptilians. I mean, he would be, if he was real. Which he's not. The reptilians are, though.

explain this

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.

feedmyleg posted:

explain this

... My god. We're doomed.

Cute little bastard though, innee?

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

FilthyImp posted:

Oh more joy when I found out HBO Max was on the PS4 app store but not on the PS5!

Wait a while. When they first announced HBO Max it wasn't originally going to be available on Xbox One and then less than a month later that changed.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
It's crazy to think about how in real life Godzilla was covered in feathers

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

The irreverent political comedy podcast Chapo Trap House's latest episode is an hour and a half long review of Avatar.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
Oh god they didn't like it did they

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
What I wouldn’t give to watch Johnny Guitar through Shinji Aoyama’s eyes

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Blood Boils posted:

Oh god they didn't like it did they

They loved it. They argue that it is a modern masterpiece.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Gripweed posted:

They loved it. They argue that it is a modern masterpiece.

Lol of course they did

At least their political humor is genuinely funny, but other than ripping on Sorkin their pop culture takes are sad

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Man I'm so thankful for working completely alone.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Anonymous Robot posted:

What I wouldn’t give to watch Johnny Guitar through Shinji Aoyama’s eyes

I’m still proud of accidentally watching Johnny Guitar then Women on the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown over the course of a weekend, without knowing anything about the latter movie.

Blood Boils posted:

Lol of course they did

At least their political humor is genuinely funny, but other than ripping on Sorkin their pop culture takes are sad

Here’s the thing; everyone, me included, has knocked on Avatar without going back to it. Everyone says it’s lovely and forgettable but I have so many shots from it lodged in my brain over a decade since the one time I saw it. I’m willing to give it another shot.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Mechafunkzilla posted:

It's crazy to think about how in real life Godzilla was covered in feathers

While this is a joke, I will point out that he wouldn't be. Most large dinosaurs like he would be wouldn't have feathers, especially amphibious ones.

Godzilla being a dinosaur or not basically falls on what continuity you're talking about. 90s Godzilla was a dinosaur, we see his therapod looking rear end before he's mutated into the Big G and we see his kid too.

OG Godzilla, however, and the Legendary one, probably wouldn't be classified as a dinosaur. They lived underwater and largely looked like we know them to, so prehistoric reptile fits them better. They're more like humanoid crocodiles.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Blood Boils posted:

Lol of course they did

Actually, their Venom episode was the most correct take of all time.

Sometimes you just gotta get the goop and go beast mode.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Their take that Avatar is good is not actually that controversial and kind of fair though? Like, their argument that people think it's gone away culturally cause it hasn't been meme-ified is pretty spot on and the fact is, James Cameron is gonna come roaring back whenever Avatar 2 finally gets released and it's going to once again make all the money in the world. Nerds on the internet who think that poo poo is gonna flop are kidding themselves, if anything Avatar 2 could be what saves theaters.

edit: It took roughly 15 years give or take for movie nerds to stop dunking on Titanic, another movie that made all the money in the world at the time, and realize it's actually a masterpiece. So Avatar 2 coming out like 12-13 years after the original is just enough time for people to revisit it and realize it holds up.

TrixRabbi fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Dec 8, 2020

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
I’m only 13 minutes in to the episode, and I will say, they can miss me with that “the main character is supposed to be uninteresting” poo poo.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Avatar is dumb as hell and people love it. Pre-COVID the loving Avatar ride at Disney World commanded a three hour wait all day, every day and people would try to tell you that the wait for that 5 minute ride was worth the experience. But some meme started about how no one can remember the character names, hence it's bad, and now it's nerd orthodoxy that Avatar is terrible and the sequels are gonna be miserable failures.

Man, just wait til those marketing campaigns start. It's coming back with a vengeance.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
I think Avatar 2 and co. will probably be good or great. I'm not even a Cameron stan, it just feels like a safe assumption.

Hasn't he been writing Avatar since the 90's, but just kept developing and rewriting the scripts for years and years, waiting for technology to advance to film them in the way he envisioned?

He's directed 12 movies, and the worst ones are Piranha 2, his first job as director, and True Lies? Those aren't that bad. And he knows what makes a good sequel, having directed two of the best sequels in blockbuster history.

I don't care much about Avatar, but as far as I remember, its biggest crimes are that it's too similar to Ferngully and Disney's Pocahontas, and it's a white savior film.

I feel safe in assuming Avatar 2 can be better than the original's 3/5 stars.

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I'M BACK AND I'M SCARIN' WHITE FOLKS
I could swear that Avatar is anti-imperialist was an actual SMG take

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Lil Mama Im Sorry posted:

That's

I mean maybe but that's what the movie is about.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

TrixRabbi posted:

Avatar is dumb as hell and people love it. Pre-COVID the loving Avatar ride at Disney World commanded a three hour wait all day, every day and people would try to tell you that the wait for that 5 minute ride was worth the experience. But some meme started about how no one can remember the character names, hence it's bad, and now it's nerd orthodoxy that Avatar is terrible and the sequels are gonna be miserable failures.

Man, just wait til those marketing campaigns start. It's coming back with a vengeance.

When I went on that ride I lost my loving mind and yelled “oh man I love avatar now!” And the lady next to me was like “I wouldn’t go that far!” Lol

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
What ever happened to just not giving a gently caress? This isn't directed at anyone here. Just the inevitable back and forth screaming on the internet that's already starting about Avatar 2 and the endless screaming about whatever other "nerd" bulllshit.

Isn't that just the basic premise of the film?

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

TrixRabbi posted:

It took roughly 15 years give or take for movie nerds to stop dunking on Titanic, another movie that made all the money in the world at the time, and realize it's actually a masterpiece. So Avatar 2 coming out like 12-13 years after the original is just enough time for people to revisit it and realize it holds up.

I remember Titanic being recognized as a masterpiece by drat near everyone from day one, and it being widely discussed for years afterwards.

Franchescanado posted:

I don't care much about Avatar, but as far as I remember, its biggest crimes are that it's too similar to Ferngully and Disney's Pocahontas, and it's a white savior film.

It's biggest failing is that none of the actual aliens are explored in half the depth as Jake and Dr. Augustine.

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Dec 8, 2020

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Schwarzwald posted:

That's not what I remember. Titanic was recognized as a masterpiece by drat near everyone from day one, and it was a widely discussed film for maybe half a decade afterwards.

It was basically considered a masterpiece by a lot of people, but there was still a strong vocal dissent. I can't remember the name of one of the prominent critics that gave it bad reviews, but they discussed it--and the backlash--on Unspooled's episode for Titanic. They also discussed the cultural fatigue that followed Titanic around before it was re-considered a masterpiece again.

It's a really good episode.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

I’ve never seen Titanic :twisted:

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I'M BACK AND I'M SCARIN' WHITE FOLKS
if that’s the premise i wouldnt know cause i havent seen Avatar :(

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

That's not even subtext. It's a surface-level reading of the film. [edit]

Oh. Lol. You should watch it, if only to see it as an exercise of one man realizing his dream by making his weird fantasy cat alien lady come to life.

[edit] I love Avatar, and am one of a handful of goons excited for the sequels.

teagone fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Dec 8, 2020

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan
the first two new spiderman movies have been really really, really good. now all we're getting is rumors of the old actors from the lovely movies coming back. because they were so loving bad it killed the franchise but THIS TIME you see!
gently caress that noise i'm so loving disappointing to go back to the "embarrassed to be making a superhero movie" sony era bullshit

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

The film is somewhat anti-imperialist, but the actual SMG take is that: 1) it's simultaneously anti-immigration and 2) the planet is effectively an elaborate simulation of nature produced by the Massive Alien Brain-Trees to feed off of peoples' minds.

Avatar's a perfectly normal and average movie, but it's also the kind of movie where every single thing that happens is very subtly hosed up in some way. It's like watching a typical romantic comedy.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

InsertPotPun posted:

the first two new spiderman movies have been really really, really good. now all we're getting is rumors of the old actors from the lovely movies coming back. because they were so loving bad it killed the franchise but THIS TIME you see!
gently caress that noise i'm so loving disappointing to go back to the "embarrassed to be making a superhero movie" sony era bullshit

Now, did you or did you not hear that they are bringing Alfred Molina back? That's kind of important to know, what with the "from the lovely movies".

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

InsertPotPun posted:

Tobey Macquire and the middle one showing up in Into the Spider-Verse 2, especially if they're live action, would be pretty neat.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Hey! You’re back! Hi.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Schwarzwald posted:

I remember Titanic being recognized as a masterpiece by drat near everyone from day one, and it being widely discussed for years afterwards.

There was absolutely a massive backlash to it by people, particularly film nerds, who criticized it for being too schmaltzy, too melodramatic and over the top and generally too popular. Winning Best Picture quite often does not correlate with critical respect or general admiration and at the time I think people hailing it as a masterpiece were looked at as sappy or unserious, particularly in the 2000s.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Yeah Titanic was at the top of the box office for months and swept the Oscars and there was some inevitable backlash just because it was that drat huge. But even I was kinda sick of it getting all the awards but I still never thought of it as a not-good film. It really is drat good.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

InsertPotPun posted:

The only rumor along those lines I've heard is bringing back Alfred Molina from the Toby Maguire Spider-Man 2, which up until like 90% of the world got caught up in MCU nonsense was on almost everyone's shortlist of best superhero movies.

They already brought back JK Simmons from those movies.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

This rules!

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal
Regardless of Avatars quality(I love it) James Camerons going to once again make obscene amount of money.

I dont know how many times it needs to be said but some rear end in a top hat nerd on the internet is not smarter, more knowledgeable or better at film and business than James loving Cameron.

I still think Avatar 2 will be the first film to hit 3 billion but that will highly depend on the fate of the theater industry.

I will also LOL if Cameron and Avatar 2 is what "saves theaters" and not Nolan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

Skwirl posted:

was on almost everyone's shortlist of best superhero movies.
they are wrong.
edit: the video game did doc ock better than that lovely movie. a video game.