Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

mysterious frankie posted:

Last Nolan movie I saw in theater was Inception and I don’t remember it being mixed weird. Looks like he’s made four movies since then; have they gotten more divisive, sound design wise, or did I just get lucky?

The biggest issue I remember is they had to redub the Bane voice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

I guess they’re bored enough to think Avatar is exciting, which is understandable. I got a year of Apple+ for free with my new work phone and am at the point in my own isolation where that drama about a morning talk show is looking pretty intriguing. It’s a dark future.

watch Little America instead, gently caress Morning Show for setting their show in NY and shooting all but 6 scenes in LA

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 247 days!

This new Chapo is wild. They’re arguing that Avatar is actually an amazing movie that everyone liked at release and has only been downplayed as part of a conspiracy to ignore revolutionary media. The really boring three hour long retelling of Pocahontas as a toy commercial where John Smith is the main character that gets changed into a Native American is secretly genius and I was apparently kidnapped in my sleep and reprogrammed to think differently.

$165,000.00 Pateron dollars a month does weird things to the brain.

i mean it was a huge hit but yeah it was basically the most reactionary narrative that could still pass as woke when backed by james cameron, a man who shits gold in celluloid form

otoh a first nations ex of mine was a big fan and I decided to not be a huge goon and lecture her about the whole noble savage thing over a dumb movie that will never get a sequel because its creator is too busy living a life of awesome adventure to get around to all the films he wants to make

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

I never watched Enterprise all the way through so I am going to try to do that now that I am done with Voyager

I saw some episodes here and there during its first run but I shied away from it

the theme song is loving ridiculous

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

everyone did like avatar at release thats not something you can really dispute its all over the late aught pop culture landscape and it also very conspicuously disappeared from that landscape really fast to an extent that was completely unprecedented

saying that this was because it was revolutionary and not because it was bad seems like an argument that would require more emphasis on what replaced avatar in the zeitgeist as opposed to avatar itself

Syncopation
Feb 21, 2020
stargate sg1 is on netflix now if you want 9 seasons of tng but with jocks (i love it)

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

my favorite episode of enterprise is where they lose a tricorder on some random planet and end up going through all sorts of terrible bullshit to get it back since they cant just transport it as the technologys not good enough yet

one of the few that made good use of the premise to tell a story that wasnt possible in previous star treks

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

theflyingexecutive posted:

watch Little America instead

Little America is the documentary series about mildly eccentric people living mildly eccentric lives? How To with John Wilson primed me for more of that.

Dreylad posted:

The biggest issue I remember is they had to redub the Bane voice.

It was a really weird decision, dubbing Bane’s voice into the Blu-ray release of Inception and placing it so high and loud in the mix that it was all you could hear.

Hodgepodge posted:

...I decided to not be a huge goon and lecture her...

Divested of specifics, this is just a good example to follow.

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

Judge Dredd Scott posted:

stargate sg1 is on netflix now if you want 9 seasons of tng but with jocks (i love it)

And guns guns guns

Season 4 of sg1 is the best season of franchise sci fi television

Banger after banger

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

Egg Moron posted:

And guns guns guns

Season 4 of sg1 is the best season of franchise sci fi television

Banger after banger

You sure spelled "All of Farscape" weird.

Syncopation
Feb 21, 2020

Syncopation has issued a correction as of 21:45 on Mar 22, 2023

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
I dunno what episode you’re talking about but I’m recalling the very bad and extremely yellow peril feminism episode of SG1 that completely wastes the concept “what if you gave a Mongol khan a gun?”

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Little America is the documentary series about mildly eccentric people living mildly eccentric lives? How To with John Wilson primed me for more of that.

each episode is about a different immigrant’s story about reconciling their old culture with their new one in America

Syncopation
Feb 21, 2020

Dr. Killjoy posted:

I dunno what episode you’re talking about but I’m recalling the very bad and extremely yellow peril feminism episode of SG1 that completely wastes the concept “what if you gave a Mongol khan a gun?”

that would be the one.

https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Code_of_Honor_(episode)

https://stargate.fandom.com/wiki/Emancipation

katharyn powers being the common denominator here lol

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

theflyingexecutive posted:

each episode is about a different immigrant’s story about reconciling their old culture with their new one in America

That’s nothing like I thought it was. I’ll give it a shot.

Bootleg Trunks
Jun 12, 2020

People need to appreciate Lexx

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

I found out about Lexx a few years ago and binged the first two seasons, I'm probably one of the only people in my country who's ever watched or heard of it. Finns, Canadians and Germans are the people who know about Lexx for the most part I think.

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

Grevling posted:

I found out about Lexx a few years ago and binged the first two seasons, I'm probably one of the only people in my country who's ever watched or heard of it. Finns, Canadians and Germans are the people who know about Lexx for the most part I think.

oh poo poo, I did this about a year ago and it was a trip, real watchable poo poo, that Lexx

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

Judge Dredd Scott posted:

i love atlantis too tbh. both shows casts like, very clearly at least like one another and it carries even the weaker episodes to at least "alright" most of the time

real weird when that one lady who wrote that crazy racist star trek tng episode went on to write basically the exact same episode for season 1 of sg1 also

YES

there are so many SG1 episodes that are trek episodes rehashed, and not always in a bad way my any means

like the SG1 season 4 episode where they are captured, mind-wiped and forced to work in some shithole is the exact same plot as the voyager 2-parter "workforce"

many such examples!

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Egg Moron posted:

YES

there are so many SG1 episodes that are trek episodes rehashed, and not always in a bad way my any means

like the SG1 season 4 episode where they are captured, mind-wiped and forced to work in some shithole is the exact same plot as the voyager 2-parter "workforce"

many such examples!

That happened to Batman once too.

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the lack of a prime directive in SG1 really allows them to get into some deep poo poo with the various civilizations

rolling into any given town with p90s out and when some toothless peasant asks what it is they just cut a tree in half with bullets

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
To set a low bar, 'Emancipation' is a bit better than 'Code of Honor' because the SG1 cast is significantly better than the way things worked out in TNG S1 especially, though i think SG1 drops in quality as the universe gets more clearly fleshed out and the Earth starts getting space ships, etc. It also has to do with Shanks not wanting to be a nerd anymore and RDA being funnier than what replaced him.

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

Panzeh posted:

To set a low bar, 'Emancipation' is a bit better than 'Code of Honor' because the SG1 cast is significantly better than the way things worked out in TNG S1 especially, though i think SG1 drops in quality as the universe gets more clearly fleshed out and the Earth starts getting space ships, etc. It also has to do with Shanks not wanting to be a nerd anymore and RDA being funnier than what replaced him.

Another good side-by-side are the groundhog day style episodes Window of Opportunity (SG1) and Cause and Effect (TNG), both great episodes for sure but the SG1 episode is more fun

it's funny and interesting to see the various ways our boys take advantage of the loop

in short, Stargate SG1 completely justifies the military industrial complex

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

Grevling posted:

I think every horny teenager in late 90s America who had Scifi Channel in their room, unlike the internet, which was in a shared area, knew about Lexx as well. Much better program than HBO’s Blurry Moaning Streaks, and Cinemax’s Smooth Jazz & Colored Writhing Striations Emanating From What Could Be The Side Profile of A Woman’s Thigh & Hip If You Really Want It To Be.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
I've always wanted to just watch the crichton/aeryn sg1 episodes and none of the others

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Their avatar take isn't bad. I've said for ages that the reason iron man resonated so well is it's a movie that says "what if we can win in the middle east, by doing it right this time and only shooting the bad guys" and people loving loved it . Iron man even goes into stark being the moral boss of the evil arms company , he solved the MIC crisis in his own person and it took over culture for an entire decade

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

never mind messaging or quality the big problem with avatar is that sequels were promised on such an outrageously long term timeframe people just forgot about it

for all their hype even marvels inching into this territory with no superhero movies this year people are even admitting that infinity wars slash endgame was dumb which would have been considered blasphemous a few months ago

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 247 days!

Some Guy TT posted:

never mind messaging or quality the big problem with avatar is that sequels were promised on such an outrageously long term timeframe people just forgot about it

for all their hype even marvels inching into this territory with no superhero movies this year people are even admitting that infinity wars slash endgame was dumb which would have been considered blasphemous a few months ago

it was seriously a little weird how mechanical the marvel fandom was in the one fanboy i knew irl. he was tons of fun to talk with about almost anything and he was totally disinterested in talking about endgame beyond a bland 'it lived up to the hype.' it was more like an empty religious obligation than actually being hyped

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

Some Guy TT posted:

All the Avatar back and forth I only semi intentionally started inspired me to look up the movie on Wikipedia and discovered Cameron is apparently planning to release the sequels still, starting in 2022, through to 2028. That is completely nuts to me. Of all the awesome projects he’s picked up and dropped, Avatar is his sole enduring passion.

Make that Heavy Metal anthology you son of a bitch.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
Seems to me that Cameron is smartly playing the long game here. The little kids-tweens that saw Avatar in 2009 are going to be in their mid-late 20s when these come out, just in time for the innate nostalgia triggers to start tickling their brains.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Maybe this is Cameron testing if he really is incapable of making a film that isn't a huge box office bomb.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Some Guy TT posted:

yeah i mean i don't hate avatar, but making a sequel to it over a decade later is bizzare

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

Alhazred posted:

Maybe this is Cameron testing if he really is incapable of making a film that isn't a huge box office bomb.

Can’t fail during my lifetime if I don’t survive to see all of my work receive public scrutiny *taps head knowingly as I sink into my high tech personal submarine, which then descends into the waiting maw of a colossal, previously undiscovered, eel*

FacelessVoid
Jul 8, 2009
the avatar sequel will be underwater apparently and he is developing technology to do face captures underwater. he had a pretty similar gab between titanic and avatar.

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.
I've seen set photos of the cast filming in water, but I always thought they were fake.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
James Cameron literally has an underwater fetish and the entire project is just to make more material for his personal spank stash.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Egg Moron posted:

Another good side-by-side are the groundhog day style episodes Window of Opportunity (SG1) and Cause and Effect (TNG), both great episodes for sure but the SG1 episode is more fun

it's funny and interesting to see the various ways our boys take advantage of the loop

in short, Stargate SG1 completely justifies the military industrial complex

One of the benefits of coming out when it did was that the military wasn't quite as hard-on about how it was depicted(especially the Air Force), so Daniel Jackson was allowed to be a bit anti-militaristic in his approach and be right. It also helps that they didn't need quite so much gear. Post 9/11 pretty much everything had to take one side or another vis a vis the MiC, and late-era SG1 somewhat suffers from the post 9/11s, but I think it did a decent job in a way most media featuring the military's failed to.

And yeah, Window of Opportunity is way more fun than Cause and Effect, even if it doesn't make quite as much sense. The conceit of the two noticing it really makes the episode tick, and they picked the best pair to be the ones in the know.

zero knowledge
Apr 27, 2008

MoaM posted:

I've seen set photos of the cast filming in water, but I always thought they were fake.

he already did a lot of this back in the 80s to make The Abyss and it was a legendarily difficult shoot

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Abyss#Principal_photography

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.
Yes, I'm aware.

I guess I meant to say "it's incredible to me that they would need underwater filming to continue the story"; everything about the Avatar sequels seems out there and zany.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
They should watch Alita too.