Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

SkunkDuster posted:

I watched The Florida Project yesterday and really enjoyed it. I also liked KIDS, Gummo, and Requiem For A Dream. Another good one is the 1981 made for tv adaptation of The Gin Game with Hume Cronyn and Jessica Tandy. The common theme here is "slice of life" type movies that don't follow typical movie tropes and don't necessarily have happy endings or any resolution - somewhere between a documentary and movie. Is there a genre for this type of film? Any recommendations on similar films?

almost everything by John Cassavetes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scones are Good
Mar 29, 2010

SkunkDuster posted:

I watched The Florida Project yesterday and really enjoyed it. I also liked KIDS, Gummo, and Requiem For A Dream. Another good one is the 1981 made for tv adaptation of The Gin Game with Hume Cronyn and Jessica Tandy. The common theme here is "slice of life" type movies that don't follow typical movie tropes and don't necessarily have happy endings or any resolution - somewhere between a documentary and movie. Is there a genre for this type of film? Any recommendations on similar films?

Kelly Reichardt's films are some of my favorites of these, all of them really but especially Old Joy and Wendy & Lucy. Those are lower key than your examples but hit the slice of life/open end really well. Mike Leigh's stuff also has a lot of hits, especially Naked fitting in some with the rougher aspects of your examples.

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Now we are all sons of bitches.
Hell Gem
I thought about Old Joy too for a minute. That's a really good show. I wish Will Oldham did more acting, even if that meant he was making less music. He's so ridiculously prolific that he can spare a couple of records.

Scones are Good
Mar 29, 2010
He's really wonderful in Old Joy, I wish he'd act more too. I should really get around to that Rick Alverson movie he's in. It's fun to think about how before he was famous(ish) for his music he was most notable for being in Matewan. There's an alternate universe where his acting/music ratio is reversed, and he just kept plugging along as a solid supporting actor and has a small side gig making music now and again

UNRULY_HOUSEGUEST
Jul 19, 2006

mea culpa

SkunkDuster posted:

I'd recommend Fish Tank and American Honey from Andrea Arnold, Naked from Mike Leigh, and La Haine from Mathieu Kassovitz. Also seconding Tangerine if you haven't seen it.

piratepilates posted:

So now I'm curious about movies that play up the voyeurism aspect, particularly with the camera work playing up the voyeurism aspect, where it feels like you're watching something you shouldn't be. I'm thinking of something like (the excellent) The Conversation, with the intro being a super telephoto lens spying on someone with the park, and the movie being focused around a guy whose job is to just snoop in on other people without them knowing. Anyone have any recommendations on that vein? With or without the previous criteria.

Maybe obvious but Blue Velvet, Klute, Being John Malkovich and Peeping Tom? I'd also say In The House and Andrea Arnold again, especially Red Road.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

SkunkDuster posted:

Genre is always a bit nebulous but a lot of the more grounded ones are descendents of italian neorealism.

All the recs so far are on point because there's actually a pretty deep well of this type, with varying degrees of script and realism.

I'll add these to the pile: Chop Shop, Driveways, Roma, Eighth Grade, mid90s, Lean on Pete, Kicks

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

SkunkDuster posted:

most of my suggestions are contemporary w/ an exception:
-medicine for melancholy & moonlight from barry jenkins
-weekend from andrew haigh
-support the girls from andrew bujalski
-the rider from chloe zhao
-the works of charles burnett
-the works of debra granik

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll make a list and check them out.

Scones are Good
Mar 29, 2010
Rider and Charles Burnett are great shouts, Killer of Sheep is a masterpiece

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

i need a movie about a cool prison break (not the great escape/face off)

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Stairmaster posted:

Brute Force, and A Man Escaped.

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.

Stairmaster posted:

Escape from Alcatraz, of course.

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

Female Prisoner Scorpion: Jailhouse 41

Einarr Saltyman
Oct 4, 2020

Stairmaster posted:

Escape Plan

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Stairmaster posted:

Shawshank!

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

piratepilates posted:

Brute Force, and A Man Escaped.

Seconding A Man Escaped

Also: Le Trou, Chicken Run

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

I'm looking for mystery movies. Golden age there's a murder, the detective solves it, denouement. The hitch is, you can't recommend Poirot movies to me. Are there any out there? What about good TV shows in this vein?

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
You might enjoy The Thin Man series.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

StrixNebulosa posted:

I'm looking for mystery movies. Golden age there's a murder, the detective solves it, denouement. The hitch is, you can't recommend Poirot movies to me. Are there any out there? What about good TV shows in this vein?

gently caress you: The Orient Express and the David Suchet Poirot show.

But also non-Poirot ones, mostly whodunits:
- A Nero Wolfe Mystery (TV show, takes place in 1940s New York)
- The Beast Must Die (1970s, has Peter Cushing, it's a whodunit about finding a werewolf)
- The 9th Guest (from 1934, an OG whodunit)
- The Last of Sheila (1970s, takes place on a boat, a whodunit with a few odd twists in there, no detective)
- Murder by Death (1976, takes place in the 40s-ish, it's a parody of detective whodunits starring a cast of parodies of famous fictional detectives, I must warn you that Peter Sellers plays an Asian man and that part is very weird)
- Clue (it's clue)
- Knives Out (it's good)

Stuff that's not exact but I think will fit anyway:
- Vertigo
- Rear Window
- The Name of the Rose
- The Naked City
- Chinatown
- Sleuth (very good, very rare, Lawrence Olivier and Michael Caine, but is a weird twist on the genre, can't say too much without spoiling)

And I am obligated to recommend Columbo to you, which is about a detective solving murders, but is a howcatchem instead of a whodunit (you know who the murderer is at the start). It's very good and everyone needs to watch Columbo.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

piratepilates that's a good list, thanks! I've seen/read the Poirot stuff, that's why I asked for not it :v:

I have seen and enjoyed: Clue (BEST MOVIE.), Murder by Death (it was OK), and some Columbo which is a great show. I'll check out the rest!

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
I feel like the only person in the world who dislikes the Columbo format. There's just no tension.

Also, for a recommendation, you can't go wrong with the Sherlock Holmes series with Jeremy Brett.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Origami Dali posted:

I feel like the only person in the world who dislikes the Columbo format. There's just no tension.

It's mostly about watching rich dipshits get owned by the coolest man alive

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

morestuff posted:

It's this. You already know who did it, and that he's going to catch them. It's fun seeing what little thing tripped them up and their perfect murder plan. Plus it's a cool look at 70s (and later 90s!) LA upper class life with really interesting direction, and Peter Falk doing his thing.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

morestuff posted:

I suddenly feel the need to reevaluate Columbo.

Einarr Saltyman
Oct 4, 2020

therattle posted:

Shawshank!

:five: Shawshank Redemption

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Origami Dali posted:

Also, for a recommendation, you can't go wrong with the Sherlock Holmes series with Jeremy Brett.

Will you forgive me if I say that the only Sherlock I want to watch is the Russian one?

space marine todd
Nov 7, 2014

Recently watched The Secret Life of Walter Mitty while on Maureen Dowd-level edibles and absolutely loved it (despite being meh on it sober). I feel like Amelie and Stranger Than Fiction would also be amazing.

Are there similar movies to these three in terms of audiovisual/narrative experience and impression?

space marine todd fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Dec 17, 2020

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

space marine todd posted:

Recently watched The Secret Life of Walter Mitty while on Maureen Dowd-level edibles and absolutely loved it (despite being meh on it sober). I feel like Amelie and Stranger Than Fiction would also be amazing.

Are there similar movies to these three in terms of audiovisual/narrative experience and impression?
Here's a couple visually playful films with (basically) positive vibes: The Science of Sleep, Brazil, Scott Pilgrim, Speed Racer, Paddington 2, Wall-e, Wreck it Ralph, Fantastic Mr Fox, Son of the White Mare, anything Studio Ghibli,

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

fenix down posted:

(basically) positive vibes ... Brazil

:confused:

space marine todd
Nov 7, 2014

fenix down posted:

Here's a couple visually playful films with (basically) positive vibes: The Science of Sleep, Brazil, Scott Pilgrim, Speed Racer, Paddington 2, Wall-e, Wreck it Ralph, Fantastic Mr Fox, Son of the White Mare, anything Studio Ghibli,

Hell yeah, this is perfect. Although yeah, I'd agree with the above about Brazil haha. Still going to try it out though and report back with my findings!

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Worth pointing out though that Brazil is technically a Christmas movie, which a lot of people forget.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Just pretend I said The Adventures of Baron Munchausen :D :D

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

fenix down posted:

Just pretend I said The Adventures of Baron Munchausen :D :D

Just covering for the fact that you watched the Love Conquers All version.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Alternative Christmas movies? Stuff that takes place on/around Christmas but isn't about Christmas? The more offbeat or away from traditional Christmas movies, the better. Only caveat: no horror.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
Kiss Kiss Bang Bang and The Nice Guys

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Eyes Wide Shut

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

feedmyleg posted:

Alternative Christmas movies? Stuff that takes place on/around Christmas but isn't about Christmas? The more offbeat or away from traditional Christmas movies, the better. Only caveat: no horror.
I just posted one in the noir thread - Blast of Silence.

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

feedmyleg posted:

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Any fun and/or offbeat good entertainment documentaries? Mostly I've been digging music docs, loved Beastie Boys Story and I Am Thor for example. But I'd also be interested in ones about other entertainers.

I guess another thing that makes a really good doc is one that doesn't just feel like it's going over a career like VH1. Has a little extra character to it.

I'm gonna check out that Zappa one for sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

Heavy Metal posted:

Any fun and/or offbeat good entertainment documentaries? Mostly I've been digging music docs, loved Beastie Boys Story and I Am Thor for example. But I'd also be interested in ones about other entertainers.

I guess another thing that makes a really good doc is one that doesn't just feel like it's going over a career like VH1. Has a little extra character to it.

I'm gonna check out that Zappa one for sure.

Anvil! The Story of Anvil