Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

You csn hop to a new world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RangerKarl
Oct 7, 2013

Caidin posted:

I remember some build from like months ago when i was playing I had character do all their reading in a small swimming pool with a mp3 player on for maximum mood effects. I think that character wound up with like a swimming skill of 30 by the time summer was done and could swim in a suit of platemail.

going to have to try this now

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Shouldn't you turn off swimming xp so it doesn't eat all your focus?

Spoggerific
May 28, 2009

The Lone Badger posted:

You csn hop to a new world.

As far as I know it's easy to transfer the character by copying and pasting a file, but I'd be losing my vehicles and giant stash of loot at home, plus all my quest progress.

RangerKarl
Oct 7, 2013

The Lone Badger posted:

In a serious playthrough, probably. In an Aquaman playthrough? Probably not.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
If anyone needs proof that the devs have no idea how their balance is actually supposed to work just look at farming.
Takes an insanely long time to produce anything and you don't even get that much.

VS kill one bear or moose and you're set for a year.

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
food is very easy in general. for 180 days in a row you can find all the food you need from trees which you can eat uncooked and its almost everywhere. i havent made it to winter yet so im not sure how easy it becomes then, the cold probably makes hunting pretty nice? can you eat cattails in winter?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Last time I played I was living entirely on pine nuts.

Spoggerific
May 28, 2009
Sure, I could just kill two deer and eat lard all day every day for the rest of my life, but I kind of enjoy gathering the supplies and tools to make more interesting meals. Even though it's essentially a text only game, there's something I find fun about getting together a little kitchen, making a sourdough starter, and slapping together cheeseburgers and deluxe omelettes. It's too bad the morale bonuses from eating good food are so small and disappear in an hour or two, while you can basically be a permanent +30 from music as soon as you find a battery charger.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

You could also just have a cow and never hunger, or live the warriors life and plunder countless MRE rations from the military and scientific installations of the endless expanse of New England

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
I tried out the most recent build just to see how bad it was, and Christ this is awful. Is it even possible to survive an infection without extensive treatment anymore? I had antibiotics and gamma globin and I still died.

Xii
Dec 27, 2011

Only the coldest prevail.
Ill be making a new thread soon since this one is quite old and whiteshark doesn't play the game anymore.

If you have any suggestions for the new OP please let me know by pm or in this thread.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

I'd definitely give it least a basic primer of some of the major differences between 0.E.2 and 0.F, given that they seem to be pretty divisive, as seen in this thread. Probably also a gesture towards bright nights as well as that fork seems to be oriented around resolving some of those dissatisfactions some people have with the DDA fork.

Xii
Dec 27, 2011

Mr. Lobe posted:

I'd definitely give it least a basic primer of some of the major differences between 0.E.2 and 0.F, given that they seem to be pretty divisive, as seen in this thread. Probably also a gesture towards bright nights as well as that fork seems to be oriented around resolving some of those dissatisfactions some people have with the DDA fork.

Yeah I was considering that myself. Ill be also skimming the thread for any interesting stories.

Do you have a link towards the last fork you mentioned?

Xii fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Dec 9, 2020

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Xii posted:

Yeah I was considering that myself. Ill be also skimming the thread for any interesting stories.

Sure

https://github.com/cataclysmbnteam/Cataclysm-BN

Unless you meant DDA, which is just Dark Days Ahead, i.e. the "main" version of the game. But it's still an offshoot from the original Cataclysm which is many years old. May or may not be worth talking about that history in the next OP

Xii
Dec 27, 2011

Mr. Lobe posted:

Sure

https://github.com/cataclysmbnteam/Cataclysm-BN

Unless you meant DDA, which is just Dark Days Ahead, i.e. the "main" version of the game. But it's still an offshoot from the original Cataclysm which is many years old. May or may not be worth talking about that history in the next OP

Thanks. Ill be trying to make a comprehensive list of all the Cataclysm offshoots so if you have any additional information it would be greatly appreciated.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Xii posted:

Thanks. Ill be trying to make a comprehensive list of all the Cataclysm offshoots so if you have any additional information it would be greatly appreciated.

Sure, I'll see what I can do to chase down some of that information this weekend

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

The Lone Badger posted:

I had magicylsm on, so I was actually grinding spell ranks. Which I don't think really interacts with focus?

I was mostly passing time to make summer go away anyhow.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

Xii posted:

Was it this thread or a lp that had the coke fueled fire lord of the wastlelands who made the big rear end warcart from Fury Road?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Snowflame! Yeah, I think that was an LP.

e: yup https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3721693&pagenumber=23&perpage=40#post447535809

Cardiovorax fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Dec 10, 2020

Dire Lemming
Jan 19, 2016
If you don't coddle Nazis flat Earthers then you're literally as bad as them.
So did anyone else notice robust genetics got removed? Did the way mutations are rolled get changed with it or is everyone just twice as likely to get a bad mutation as a good one now?

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Dire Lemming posted:

So did anyone else notice robust genetics got removed? Did the way mutations are rolled get changed with it or is everyone just twice as likely to get a bad mutation as a good one now?

If I know the way this game is designed... they removed it, changed nothing else. Deal with it.

Spoggerific
May 28, 2009

Xii posted:

Ill be making a new thread soon since this one is quite old and whiteshark doesn't play the game anymore.

If you have any suggestions for the new OP please let me know by pm or in this thread.

A couple of things that I came up with off the top of my head...

• Screenshots of both ASCII and tiles mode, since ASCII can scare people off.
  • Recruit more stories from goons to go in the OP or on the first page of the thread.
  • A warning that the wiki is very out of date.
  • Links to Vormithrax's youtube tutorials, along with a mention that they might be slightly out of date but still useful.
  • A short explanation of the mods that come with the base game (aftershock, cataclysm, etc.)
  • Having tutorials for various parts of the game, like crafting and making vehicles, would be nice, but someone would have to write them up.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Some recommendations for good non-base mods and where to find them would be nice.

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
UndeadPeopleTileset is a great tileset that kinda got the cold shoulder because they borrowed some tiles from other sources but i think its pretty great.

https://github.com/SomeDeadGuy/UndeadPeopleTileset

Spoggerific
May 28, 2009
We need a thread title, too.

Cataclysm: I used a zombie's vibrator, got high, and read SICP for 5 hours

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
wait for the next stable release imho. nested containers is huge and amazing. many items are being reworked because of it. experimentals are really good so its going to be great. they fixed a bunch of items that have been buggy and/or unbalanced for years.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Cataclysm: Giant Bees, Rotten Cheese and NPC's

Spoggerific
May 28, 2009

I'm trying to get some mirrors set up so I can see to the sides and hopefully behind this APC I'm currently upgrading into a deathmobile. The highlighted square is where the driver's seat is, and the blue lowercase Os are wing mirrors. The three tiles above the driver's seat are windshields, and the four tiles on the very front of the APC are quarterpanels; everything else is a board.

The mirror to the left works, and while driving I can see to the left and behind the vehicle. The mirror on the top right side, however, does not work, even though I can see it while sitting in the driver's seat. Does anyone know why?

I was hoping that maybe I'd be able to view a mirror from another mirror and maybe get vision from behind the APC as well with the bottom right mirror, but I can't see the top one in the first place.

Edit: While I'm at it, what should I put on the front to best enhance the damage from collisions and protect the vehicle from damage? I've heard that rollers from, well, steamrollers do a ton of damage. I've found several steamrollers, but I don't have a tool with a high enough jacking quality to remove them, so those are a bit out of reach.

Spoggerific fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Dec 10, 2020

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

I'm sorry, did I break all your shit? I didn't know it was yours

Spoggerific posted:

I'm trying to get some mirrors set up so I can see to the sides and hopefully behind this APC I'm currently upgrading into a deathmobile. The highlighted square is where the driver's seat is, and the blue lowercase Os are wing mirrors. The three tiles above the driver's seat are windshields, and the four tiles on the very front of the APC are quarterpanels; everything else is a board.

The mirror to the left works, and while driving I can see to the left and behind the vehicle. The mirror on the top right side, however, does not work, even though I can see it while sitting in the driver's seat. Does anyone know why?

I was hoping that maybe I'd be able to view a mirror from another mirror and maybe get vision from behind the APC as well with the bottom right mirror, but I can't see the top one in the first place.

Edit: While I'm at it, what should I put on the front to best enhance the damage from collisions and protect the vehicle from damage? I've heard that rollers from, well, steamrollers do a ton of damage. I've found several steamrollers, but I don't have a tool with a high enough jacking quality to remove them, so those are a bit out of reach.

I’m not sure why the right mirror isn’t working but security cameras are a good way to see to the vehicles rear, although they can be faffy to locate and install without the correct electrical skill.

For the front, rollers are excellent if you can find them, but otherwise, spikes do just fine. They protect the front of the vehicle from collision damage, iirc unless you are absolutely booking it and collide with a wall or something.

Edit:I’m also not sure if mirror to mirror relays work, I’ve never tried it.

PiCroft fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Dec 10, 2020

Spoggerific
May 28, 2009
Luckily, the APC already has cameras installed on both sides and the rear. I was just hoping to extend the vision range with my mirrors.

One thing I'd like to be able to do is, if it's possible, reinforce the vehicle strongly enough that I can just plough through wrecks or vehicles blocking my way on roads through cities. I don't really care whether or not I'm able to go through an entire building. I'll try putting some spikes on this thing and savescum before going through some cars to see how it does.

Dire Lemming
Jan 19, 2016
If you don't coddle Nazis flat Earthers then you're literally as bad as them.
Unfortunately no matter how tough you make your vehicle smashing through wrecks and other cars is always going to be risky. It will work sometimes but the vehicle movement code is wonky and often you'll get into situations where your vehicle is trying to push another vehicle through itself. When that happens parts just tend to evaporate no matter how strong they are or what speed you're going.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
Are those exosuits base game? There is a lifter one that you can toss into a animal carrier attached to your vehicle and its strong enough that you can shove aside most wrecks and vehicles, barring large military ones and 18 wheelers.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Telsa Cola posted:

Are those exosuits base game? There is a lifter one that you can toss into a animal carrier attached to your vehicle and its strong enough that you can shove aside most wrecks and vehicles, barring large military ones and 18 wheelers.

Yeah, they're base game. Useful for clearing wrecks

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
I'm still a fan of just tossing explosives into any wreck too big to be pushed.

Spoggerific
May 28, 2009
Is there a way to put ammo belts back together from the linkages you find scattered around after firing them? I destroyed a turret and got an M249 out of it, which I've put on my vehicle. It had a few dozen belt linkages and casings scattered on the ground around it, as well as dropping well over a thousand rounds of 5.56, but even after looking through the item browser I can't seem to figure out how to get ammo belts. For now I guess I'll just load it with STANAG magazines.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

You need links to make belts. The turrets used to drop several belts when destroyed, I wonder why it dropped loose ammo?

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Spoggerific posted:

Is there a way to put ammo belts back together from the linkages you find scattered around after firing them? I destroyed a turret and got an M249 out of it, which I've put on my vehicle. It had a few dozen belt linkages and casings scattered on the ground around it, as well as dropping well over a thousand rounds of 5.56, but even after looking through the item browser I can't seem to figure out how to get ammo belts. For now I guess I'll just load it with STANAG magazines.

(a)ctivate a linkage with more links and the rounds in your inventory

(r)eload partial belts with more links and rounds in your inventory

Spoggerific
May 28, 2009

Mr. Lobe posted:

(a)ctivate a linkage with more links and the rounds in your inventory

(r)eload partial belts with more links and rounds in your inventory

Thanks, that did the trick. I was assuming it was done through crafting, but I was confused because the item browser didn't have any recipes to make belts.

Unfortunately, it looks like the turret didn't drop any linkages, even after disassembly. The only ones I recovered were on the ground along with the brass it made from shooting at zombies, so my new belt actually carries less ammo than a normal magazine...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Spoggerific posted:

Thanks, that did the trick. I was assuming it was done through crafting, but I was confused because the item browser didn't have any recipes to make belts.

Unfortunately, it looks like the turret didn't drop any linkages, even after disassembly. The only ones I recovered were on the ground along with the brass it made from shooting at zombies, so my new belt actually carries less ammo than a normal magazine...

Your best bet for belts in the experimental version is to unload turrets from military vehicles and also the stray beltfed guns soldier types drop it spawn with randomly in the wilderness. Or, if you find a military base, then have some of every kind of belt in their armory