Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

zoux posted:

I hope they aren't dismounting their helicopters to fight on the ground

Uh, yeah, they do that all the time.

You know, infantry inserting via helicopter and then the helo fucks off while the infantry does infantry things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

turns out the modern front lines are hazardous for most personnel transports.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Nebakenezzer posted:

So ships that could keep up with the fleet but were fast/small enough to waste trash mobs of PT boats?

Sort of, and the role gradually evolved over the years. Drach has a few good videos on the subject:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RiVmLk6JzNg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rlLlsYQ6lQ

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Stairmaster posted:

turns out the modern front lines are hazardous for most personnel transports.

Old ones were too. Horses died in huge numbers in wars, and a significant chunk of any dismounted cavalry squadron was dudes in the rear making sure the horses didn't run away or get killed or something.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Cyrano4747 posted:

You know, infantry inserting via helicopter and then the helo fucks off while the infantry does infantry things.

Well I was trying to joke about Cobra pilots or something!

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Nebakenezzer posted:

So ships that could keep up with the fleet but were fast/small enough to waste trash mobs of PT boats?

1890s torpedo boats were completely different things from PT boats.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Cyrano4747 posted:

The US even experimented with having the HQ element of an armored cavalry squadron in Vietnam be airmobile to allow maximum flexibility in its positioning during dispersed operations.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
airmobile / heliborne infantry are just straight up dragoons

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
All of the cavalry squadrons (ie manned by cavalry scouts) in the US Army are dismount oriented organizations. Whether it's a humvee, Stryker, or a Bradley it's just their platform to get around and the only differences in equipment from their infantry counterparts is more/better communications and optical/observation capabilities.

Depending on the time frame and country dragoons were used for different things but their frequent use for skirmishing and reconnaissance blurs the lines between dragoons and light cavalry in general.

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
Don't you see more vehicle mounted heavier weapons in such formations?

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

What are the definitive books on horse cavalry? I'm curious about how their functions shifted from flanking and skirmishing to... whatever they were in the modern era, especially. I assume there aren't many books on horses in war that stretch to the 20th C?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

early 20th c has lots of good horse action. maybe less Glorious Charges but still some very important stuff, especially if you go eastwards. Russian Civil War, Polish-Soviet war had some good things and of course Xinjiang was a good one for cav.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The key thing to understand about cavalry tactics in the late middle ages through the napoleonic era is that: the British were bad at it. Except Cromwell and he overthrew the monarchy, for a bit.

e: what is the most recent war in which horse cavalry was used successfully?

Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

What is a soldier but a miserable pile of eaten cats and strange language?

CommonShore posted:

To what extent could caracole vs sabre shock be something of a (for lack of a better term) metagame tactical decision?

Well, through the 17th century cavalry charging into pike-and-shot infantry formations didn't have a good time. The various wars of Sweden and Poland are a good example, Polish cavalry absolutely slaughtered Swedish foot at Kircholm in 1605, but by the 1650's Swedish invasion of Poland it could no longer overrun Swedish infantry formations at will. Various countries/realms/proto-states had very different types on infantry, for example the Polish foot were supposedly not up to the standard of their neighbours.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”

Weka posted:

Don't you see more vehicle mounted heavier weapons in such formations?

Only in the sense that they might have slightly more vehicles than soldiers. Other than Bradleys, which are used by both infantry and cavalry units, neither infantry nor scouts are going to be fighting from their vehicles from anything other than a support by fire position with a humvee or Stryker.

In Stryker formations both the infantry and scouts man variants with AT capabilities. The infantry crews the variant that fires TOW missiles and the scouts man the variant that fires 105mm rounds. Neither of these is capable of carrying dismounts.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

zoux posted:

The key thing to understand about cavalry tactics in the late middle ages through the napoleonic era is that: the British were bad at it. Except Cromwell and he overthrew the monarchy, for a bit.

It seems to be a built in rule that British cavalry in the age of gun powder was worlds best practice at CHARGING but worlds worst practice at *rallying* afterwards. They just never trained for it. I'm guessing a lot of this came from fox hunting.

The French per-revolution had some bad cavalry. I have read that one of the reasons they changed to heavy cavalry charging instead of using pistols was previously they would ride up, shoot their guns at 10 feet, miss competently with every shot, and then get charged while trying to reload. One of the reasons for Napoleon's success I think was how he inherited a new tactical theory that had been built up after the 7 years war.

quote:

US Special Forces acted as dragoons on horse back in Afghanistan. Don't think it helped win the actual war though.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

zoux posted:

WWII with the Battle of Krasnobrod?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

zoux posted:

Arguably Cromwellian horse was OK because it was drawn from non-traditional British Cav sources.

The British had good cavalry in the Napoleonic era, it was just German.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Caracole was a useful tactic because only part of the infantry was equipped with muskets, and the og muskets had a slow rate of fire. When armies started to use faster firing muskets and more musketeers its effectiveness diminished. And Swedish cavalry didn't charge intact infantry formations, they used musketeers and lighter field guns to support their cavalry charges.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Didn’t ACW cavalry follow fairly different doctrine to contemporary european cavalry? There’s nothing equivalent to lancers or cuirassiers, and they all seem to basically be dragoons.

ACW cavalry were essentially militia dragoons, and proper cavalry requires longer training. And ACW infantry and artillery weapons were so effective, that even good cavalry would have been best used as dragoons or they would have just died in their first charge. That would have made some good poetry but nothing else.

Panzeh posted:

I don't think it's really true that cavalry ditched carbines and pistols during the Napoleonic Wars. Perhaps for shooting up formed infantry, but IIRC Napoleon actually deliberately asked for more carbines for his cavalry for the 1812 campaign in Russia, due to the need for them in not-so-pitched battles.

Yeah, only part of cavalry's job happened in large battles. Napoleonic infantry had fast firing muskets, and effective firing methods, so a cavalry unit that tried to out-shoot infantry formations wouldn't have fared very well, but guns were very useful in skirmishes and looting peasants.

Ataxerxes posted:

Well, through the 17th century cavalry charging into pike-and-shot infantry formations didn't have a good time. The various wars of Sweden and Poland are a good example, Polish cavalry absolutely slaughtered Swedish foot at Kircholm in 1605, but by the 1650's Swedish invasion of Poland it could no longer overrun Swedish infantry formations at will. Various countries/realms/proto-states had very different types on infantry, for example the Polish foot were supposedly not up to the standard of their neighbours.

The Polish infantry wasn't very good, because the Polish nobility didn't want to pay taxes for it, partially because that would have helped the king.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

zoux posted:

I hope they aren't dismounting their helicopters to fight on the ground

One man in four stays behind to hold the reins of the helicopters.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

The Lone Badger posted:

One man in four stays behind to hold the reins of the helicopters.

Otherwise the enemy could do this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVIGh2bSsxY

White Coke
May 29, 2015

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Charging home with the sabre usually involves substantial reforming and you should shoot at the other dudes on your way in, so yeah, you should have a pistol. Napoleonic cav carried pistols. Your primary way that you are supposed to be decisive on the battlefield may be the sword but that is not the majority of the work that the cavalryman does. It's almost all picquet, outpost, and recon. Guns are very convenient for this purpose.

Would they be facing other cavalry more often while performing picquet, outpost, and recon, or infantry?

Comstar posted:

The French per-revolution had some bad cavalry. I have read that one of the reasons they changed to heavy cavalry charging instead of using pistols was previously they would ride up, shoot their guns at 10 feet, miss competently with every shot, and then get charged while trying to reload. One of the reasons for Napoleon's success I think was how he inherited a new tactical theory that had been built up after the 7 years war.

Was it just don't reload in front of the enemy? I've read that Frederick the Great retrained his cavalry after the War fo the Austrian Succession but from what to what I don't know. Did the Prussians influence French development?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Arguably Cromwellian horse was OK because it was drawn from non-traditional British Cav sources.

What was so OK about Cromwellian cavalry? Were they just so good due to being members of the elect?

ChubbyChecker posted:

Caracole was a useful tactic because only part of the infantry was equipped with muskets, and the og muskets had a slow rate of fire. When armies started to use faster firing muskets and more musketeers its effectiveness diminished. And Swedish cavalry didn't charge intact infantry formations, they used musketeers and lighter field guns to support their cavalry charges.

Caracole seems to me to be the gunpowder equivalent of horse archers riding around an enemy shooting arrows at them, and like horse archers their biggest weakness was an enemy armed with superior ranged weapons.

ChubbyChecker posted:

The Polish infantry wasn't very good, because the Polish nobility didn't want to pay taxes for it, partially because that would have helped the king.

They also saw the proper use of infantry differently. The Poles and Russians adopted pikes later then other European armies, but they were enthusiastic adopters of guns. They saw infantry as support for the cavalry, so they'd usually have the infantry entrench in a good position and shoot at any enemies that got close while the cavalry reformed behind them. Consequently infantry made up a much smaller proportion of their armies since cavalry was the dominant branch. As infantry got better at fighting cavalry coped by trying to reform along Western lines. Russia succeeded but Poland didn't.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Panzeh posted:

The US even experimented with having the HQ element of an armored cavalry squadron in Vietnam be airmobile to allow maximum flexibility in its positioning during dispersed operations.

That's pretty interesting what did it involve?

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

White Coke posted:

Caracole seems to me to be the gunpowder equivalent of horse archers riding around an enemy shooting arrows at them, and like horse archers their biggest weakness was an enemy armed with superior ranged weapons.

p much yes

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
It's not really a military history question, per se, but uhh, how big is the incoming SecDef Lloyd Austin?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

White Coke posted:

Would they be facing other cavalry more often while performing picquet, outpost, and recon, or infantry?

Infantry also performed picquet and outpost duties, so if you're cavalry on recon (a more active mode) you would encounter both other cavalry and infantry. But it doesn't matter too much. You're there to look at things. If you encounter a small number of infantry you ignore them. If you encounter cav you wave hello to your counterparts and keep your eye on your exits. If you encounter a large number of infantry you use your superior mobility to gently caress off.

The advantage of cavalry is mobility and ground coverage for the number of men employed, and ease of communication. Say you have a little village along a fordable river. You can garrison the village with say, a couple of companies of infantry (200 men), and put a small patrol at each ford. However, if an enemy cav patrol shows up they're hosed and your primary mode of warning will be gunfire, which is useless if you don't have patrols in audible contact with each other - so that means a series of static outpost positions and a lot of walking. Or, you could garrison the village with a troop of cavalry (80 men), and have them ride on patrol. If someone comes, they send a rider back to troop commander in the village and keep looking at things. They can cover many times more frontage effectively compared to similar numbers of infantry.

The disadvantage if you garrison with cavalry is that if the enemy makes a concerted effort you absolutely are not going to try to hold that village. Infantry can hold ground and needs to be dug out. Cavalry can't hold ground.

Most cav work in the Napoleonic wars is extremely important but excruciatingly dull.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Lawman 0 posted:

That's pretty interesting what did it involve?

The Squadron Commander flies overhead and coordinates the troops.

I wrote a paper a long time ago based on the 3/4 Cav's defense of Tan Son Nhut Airbase on the first day of the Tet Offensive. The Squadron Commander flew overhead as the Troop moved from their base to Tan Son Nhut the Squadron Commander flew overhead to perform route recon, guide the troop around obstacles and roadblocks, and coordinate the Troop's movements while utilizing a bird's eye view.

Modern commanders basically do the same thing using drones.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

White Coke posted:

As infantry got better at fighting cavalry coped by trying to reform along Western lines. Russia succeeded but Poland didn't.

The quality of Polish cavalry stayed quite good even after there wasn't an independent Polish state. And the lancers even had somewhat of a renaissance during and after the Napoleonic wars because of the Polish uhlans.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Memento posted:

It's not really a military history question, per se, but uhh, how big is the incoming SecDef Lloyd Austin?
If our Secretary of Defense is bigger than theirs, his threat display will intimidate them. This is how diplomacy works. Also, I am an elk.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

ChubbyChecker posted:

The quality of Polish cavalry stayed quite good even after there wasn't an independent Polish state. And the lancers even had somewhat of a renaissance during and after the Napoleonic wars because of the Polish uhlans.

Ugh. I meant to say they reformed their militaries along western lines, not just their cavalry. And yeah, Polish lancers were so good everyone else copied them down to the uniforms, a lot like the Hussars.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

HEY GUNS posted:

If our Secretary of Defense is bigger than theirs, his threat display will intimidate them. This is how diplomacy works. Also, I am an elk.

Is that why dress uniforms went for really big hats and epaulets at one point?

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
Finally a SecDef who will guarantee the troops' freedom to press

CrypticFox
Dec 19, 2019

"You are one of the most incompetent of tablet writers"

Memento posted:

There's a picture of him with Robert Gates that is possibly even better:

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Hey does anyone here recognize the quote "sometimes history needs a push"? It sounds like a movie line but google is only giving me spurious motivational memes.

Tom Morello wrote that on his new wah pedal.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Well I can tell you that everyone on the Web is attributing it to Lenin.

But they’re not citing any particular work, which is very sus.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The real utterer of that remark appears to be Andrei Zhelyabov, the context being the 1881 assassination of Alexander II.

Tracing it to a contemporary source is left as an exercise to the reader.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Hey, thanks a lot! This thread is the best.

Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

What is a soldier but a miserable pile of eaten cats and strange language?

ChubbyChecker posted:

Yeah, Sweden sorta went the other side roung. The masters thesis of a dear friend (and his upcoming PhD thesis) is about the transformation of the Swedish army from the semi-feudal "nobility is supposed to turn up with their own troops and some infantry" of mid 1550's to the beginning of the reign of Gustavus Adoplhus. The Kircholm defeat was in part due to king Johan and Karl (sons of Gustaf Vasa) trying to cut corners in outfitting their soldiers (musketeers are cheap! they need no armor!) and ending up with infantry that was good for garrison duties and cross-border raiding (which was wery frequent on the eastern borderlands of Sweden) but couldn't really hold its own in a pitched battle, especially not against the charge of the Polish hussars. By the time Gustavus went to war in Germany he had had the time to both have his native regiments drilled well and to hire good mercenaries, something none of his predecessors could afford, with regards to either time or money.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Ataxerxes posted:

Yeah, Sweden sorta went the other side roung. The masters thesis of a dear friend (and his upcoming PhD thesis) is about the transformation of the Swedish army from the semi-feudal "nobility is supposed to turn up with their own troops and some infantry" of mid 1550's to the beginning of the reign of Gustavus Adoplhus. The Kircholm defeat was in part due to king Johan and Karl (sons of Gustaf Vasa) trying to cut corners in outfitting their soldiers (musketeers are cheap! they need no armor!) and ending up with infantry that was good for garrison duties and cross-border raiding (which was wery frequent on the eastern borderlands of Sweden) but couldn't really hold its own in a pitched battle, especially not against the charge of the Polish hussars. By the time Gustavus went to war in Germany he had had the time to both have his native regiments drilled well and to hire good mercenaries, something none of his predecessors could afford, with regards to either time or money.

When I was contemplating on the cavalry, I thought about drilling. Were the native Swedish troops actually better drilled than their opponents? And iirc the musketeers didn't wear armor because it hindered loading the long muskets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

I’m currently serving with a master chief who personally met the incoming sec def who’s a giant himself and said that’s he’s at least 6’6”.