Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Do sor 1 characters really hit all that much harder though? Sure their basic combo is fairly meaty, but most sor 4 characters have basic strike/grapple/blitz combinations without even using specials that do well in excess of a full bar of damage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Breetai posted:

Do sor 1 characters really hit all that much harder though? Sure their basic combo is fairly meaty, but most sor 4 characters have basic strike/grapple/blitz combinations without even using specials that do well in excess of a full bar of damage.

Blow for blow, SOR1 characters hit quite a bit harder than SOR4. But their moveset is very simple and they can only hit an enemy so many times.

SOR4 characters don't do as much damage per individual hit, but with even modestly skillful play you can hit enemies so many times in sequence (between combinations, blitz, specials, OTG, whatever else) that you end up doing more damage overall. So it's the classic "low skill ceiling/low potential" versus "high skill ceiling/high potential."

I like the SOR1 characters for the novelty, but they've also been popular with my friends who aren't really gamers, as you all but maximize the SOR1 characters' potential by walking up to an enemy and mashing punch.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

All the SOR4 characters have stagger loops and special cancels that can extend the length of their combos way further than the retro cast, which ends up being pretty important for S-Ranking Mania when preserving OOTW combos across multiple screens is necessary.

Joe Chip
Jan 4, 2014
Does anyone know of a good reference for combos that’s text-only? I’ve found a lot of YouTube videos of combos but they’re pretty light on explanation and just seem to show off the combos. That’s nice and all (and I’ve learned that a few moves could be cancelled that I didn’t realize) but generally I like to work out the combo from a simple text string of inputs in training mode (something this game really needs). If it matters I play axel mostly but combos for all characters would be appreciated

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

Apparently I’m in the top 1% of listeners of Yuzo Koshiro this year and I ain’t even mad

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Kiranamos posted:

Apparently I’m in the top 1% of listeners of Yuzo Koshiro this year and I ain’t even mad
The art exhibit music from this game was in my Top 5 songs of the year!!

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

Cat Machine posted:

The art exhibit music from this game was in my Top 5 songs of the year!!

It only makes me sad that the soundtrack got a little snippet of the full thing:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZCsGJwwUF8

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Got my first Perfect on Stage 1 Mania! Only took about 100 hours. Already got Cargo Ship a little earlier, which I think is probably the easiest stage to clear without getting hit.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

exquisite tea posted:

Got my first Perfect on Stage 1 Mania! Only took about 100 hours. Already got Cargo Ship a little earlier, which I think is probably the easiest stage to clear without getting hit.

Now try for sub 7 minutes.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Been playing this game weekly with a mate since it came out. Was a chore online but lately we've been able to play on person and are making some headway on mania 2p. I play a lot more games than him but it's so much fun with two players. The combos are insane. We just spent a week at the beach and played a lot of sor, managed to link the entire boat. Anyway this is why streets of rage 4 is my unquestioned game of the year 2020.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I've recently discovered that SOR3 Skate is straight-up busted for co-op play, like his jump and forward special will just effortlessly link rooms that normally would be super difficult.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Going back and playing earlier entries is a bit of a trip now, since I'm so accustomed to how combos are set up in 4

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

If I've got a friend who just got this is there a way to do Story Mode over more than one multiplayer session? Can they pick up where they left off in singleplayer in their Story Mode but in a multiplayer session so I help them complete it?

Edit: ok maybe this is a non-starter since I'm trying it out on PS5 to get reacquainted and it's crashed both times I've finished a level...

Lobok fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Jan 22, 2021

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Lobok posted:

If I've got a friend who just got this is there a way to do Story Mode over more than one multiplayer session? Can they pick up where they left off in singleplayer in their Story Mode but in a multiplayer session so I help them complete it?

Yes, I believe I did this when the game first came out and was hot. If I remember correctly, they can start a game then invite you, so you're joining their session. Story Mode picks up from the last stage you entered so you and your friend can stop anytime and pick it up again!

But if my half a year old memory isn't good enough, it should be easy to test; finish stage out, quit out, and see if you can reload from stage 2.

Alternatively, if you're on Steam you should be able to do Steam remote play where one guy is the main computer and that definitely works 100%.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

The game autosaves in multiplayer but only the host gets a save file so they should host again when you want to continue.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

After getting back into it again from playing with a friend I tried out Mania and it actually isn't too bad, or at least that's what I thought for the first two levels. Haven't gotten past the hallway part yet and I'm not sure what I'm going to do against the boss.

Lobok fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Feb 1, 2021

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Lobok posted:

After getting back into it again from playing with a friend I tried out Mania and it actually isn't too bad, or at least that's what it thought for the first two levels. Haven't gotten past the hallway part yet and I'm not sure what I'm going to do against the boss.

gently caress her up with violence.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Blow your star move on the first two Galsias and juggle her against the spike wall on the left.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

exquisite tea posted:

Blow your star move on the first two Galsias and juggle her against the spike wall on the left.

It's one of the most fun boss fights to go berserk on. Big red combo city.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Use Floyd and just walk around smashing heads together.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

SoR4 feels like a great evolution of the genre, I hope other developers pick up on it too.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

In one interview they said they hope to do the same revival/sequel for the Golden Axe series :pray:

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I think Capcom expressed some interest in reviving Final Fight at one point last year and with so few worthy examples of the genre I'll even deign to play the Lesser Beatemup Series if they end up doing it.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Jack Trades posted:

SoR4 feels like a great evolution of the genre, I hope other developers pick up on it too.

It's so good that it makes a lot of other beat em ups seem like they are lacking. I tried replaying Double Dragon Neon and it just doesn't compare at all. Then again, I don't even think it compared to a lot of other beat em ups that were out at the time.

In fact, the only beat em up I think I hold on the same level is the arcade Alien vs Predator.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay

blackguy32 posted:

It's so good that it makes a lot of other beat em ups seem like they are lacking. I tried replaying Double Dragon Neon and it just doesn't compare at all. Then again, I don't even think it compared to a lot of other beat em ups that were out at the time.

In fact, the only beat em up I think I hold on the same level is the arcade Alien vs Predator.

:hmmyes:

Fight'n rage on steam was pretty good, but I only have 2 hours in it.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Fight'N'Rage is good and it was definitely a step in the right direction but SoR4 does all the same things way better.

ReVerve
Jul 13, 2001

Select and make your first pick.

Biscuit Hider

exquisite tea posted:

I think Capcom expressed some interest in reviving Final Fight at one point last year and with so few worthy examples of the genre I'll even deign to play the Lesser Beatemup Series if they end up doing it.

On PC you could always look into Final Fight LNS if you really want to scratch that FF/beat em up itch. It's a free fan game that can include the casts of several capcom and other beat em ups/fighting games (It has an insane roster). I've had a good time with it.

https://fflnsultimate.firebaseapp.com/descargas

Regarding the Fight N Rage chat I also really like that one. Adding a 3S style parry mechanic helped make playing it feel really good.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I’m also hoping that Paprium gets a steam port or something instead of being a $120 curiosity on a defunct console.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Lobok posted:

In one interview they said they hope to do the same revival/sequel for the Golden Axe series :pray:

I know nothing about this series but I'd be happy to pick it up if it's in this style. It's just super fun. Just let them make SoR 5! and never stop from there.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

exquisite tea posted:

I’m also hoping that Paprium gets a steam port or something instead of being a $120 curiosity on a defunct console.

Paprium is an incredibly mediocre beat em up.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I know nothing about this series but I'd be happy to pick it up if it's in this style. It's just super fun. Just let them make SoR 5! and never stop from there.

It's an old Sega beat-em-up series done as classic medieval-style D&D.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Panzeh posted:

Paprium is an incredibly mediocre beat em up.

I'll even take mediocre at this point!

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

If we are wishing for remakes of weird niche beat em ups i'd like Guardian Heroes please

FuriousGeorge
Jan 23, 2006

Ah, the simple joys of a monkey knife-fight.
Grimey Drawer
Ninja Baseball Bat Man 2 please.

ReVerve
Jul 13, 2001

Select and make your first pick.

Biscuit Hider

Xand_Man posted:

If we are wishing for remakes of weird niche beat em ups i'd like Guardian Heroes please

Agreed, thats my all time favorite.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

exquisite tea posted:

The tough part here is they would have to not only remake the game but also make it good

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

The tough part here is they would have to not only remake the game but also make it good

To be honest, I think they hit a lot of the right notes already with Final Fight 3 (or Final Fight Tough in Japan) for the SNES. If they'd build on that foundation, they'd have quite a solid game already.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I'm now reminded of that lovely new Battletoads game. The Battletoads armor in Shovel Knight was a better new Battletoads than Battletoads.

Though to be fair, the original Battletoads wasn't very good, but the game had enough silly charm that it's easy to forget get that it had 2.5 good levels and then a bunch of stupid bullshit.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Shine posted:

I'm now reminded of that lovely new Battletoads game. The Battletoads armor in Shovel Knight was a better new Battletoads than Battletoads.

Though to be fair, the original Battletoads wasn't very good, but the game had enough silly charm that it's easy to forget get that it had 2.5 good levels and then a bunch of stupid bullshit.

The arcade game was good fun without a lot of that bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Shine posted:

Yeah, the bit where an enemy straight up steals part of your life bar is fun in a "it was the wild west of game design; they were throwing stuff at the wall and seeing what stuck" way, but miserable if you were actually PLAYING the game