Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I have always had a kettle, I feel like I've never seen anyone not use a kettle except in a poor/desperate situation, and lots of people in my life have regularly drank tea. I feel like that one's some kind of super regional thing or an urban myth.

Like somewhere out there someone's telling their friend that Americans reject ladles because it "sounds foreign" so they just scoop their soups and stews and sauces out of the pot by hand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

How do people make hot water for drinks if they don't have a kettle? I live in the states and I don't have a stove-top kettle anymore, but a fancy lil electric one but what else are you supposed to use to make cocoa, tea, pour over coffee, etc.? Or even oatmeal?

Am I misinterpreting kettles as something else entirely here? I assumed everyone had a kettle even if it was only used to make tea when you're sick like someone mentioned earlier.

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

When I was a kid we’d microwave water for cocoa, same for oatmeal. Pour over and French press are also pretty niche coffee preparations compared to coffee makers. I own an electric kettle personally, but I am not surprised they aren’t super common here given our consumption habits.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

We make about a gallon of tea at once by boiling it in a pot on the stove top. We're from The South though so it goes right into a container in the fridge for iced tea and sits there a few hours before we drink it.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
https://twitter.com/CohenGriffiths/status/1336606660324896768

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I don't have a kettle but I don't drink tea.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Ganso Bomb posted:

How do people make hot water for drinks if they don't have a kettle? I live in the states and I don't have a stove-top kettle anymore, but a fancy lil electric one but what else are you supposed to use to make cocoa, tea, pour over coffee, etc.? Or even oatmeal?

Am I misinterpreting kettles as something else entirely here? I assumed everyone had a kettle even if it was only used to make tea when you're sick like someone mentioned earlier.

I mean, in my poorest days or when I didn't have a kettle I've boiled water in a pot and poured carefully or on a few lazy occasions microwaved it. But like a kettle is a fairly inexpensive and small item. Its not a food processor or anything. So if you make tea, hot chocolate, or have a french press or anything I don't know why you wouldn't have one.

Obviously not everyone does those things. I happen to do all 3 on occasion so it makes sense to own one. Most people I've known well enough to spend time in their kitchen or homes had one. Maybe that's a regional thing.

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

https://twitter.com/gr8ful4eva1/status/1336731487849234432?s=21

I guess not everyone has interacted with a microphone, but lol think that foam is any sort of protection if you’re struck with one.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

boxing gloves make punches completely safe

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Ganso Bomb posted:

Everyone I knew just used pots or the microwave

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Ganso Bomb posted:

Most coffee machines you buy now seem to have a little nozzle that will give you hot water.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Lead Pipe Cinch posted:

I guess not everyone has interacted with a microphone, but lol think that foam is any sort of protection if you’re struck with one.

Did this jamoke miss that Kenny then proceeded to knee Mox in the face approximately one million times?

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

Lead Pipe Cinch posted:

https://twitter.com/bryanalvarez/status/1336748899680260096

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Lead Pipe Cinch posted:

I did not believe in the microphone as a weapon until the first time I held one. They're deceptively heavy and made to fit in your hand so they're a great impromptu weapon.

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

I have been concussed in my own home studio by a falling Shure SM58. That guy’s an idiot.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i was uh walking and uh i was under the Entire State building. i was walking by the Entire State building and somebody dropped a microphone from probably the roof of the Entire State building uh and it like hit me on the head and i died. it was a Warm Audio WA-87

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

free tao of lmao

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Cavauro posted:

free tao of lmao

too expensive

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

gently caress it sucks that no one in wherever Ganso Bomb lives figured out how to heat water without a kettle. Gotta throw my pasta in the kettle because that's the only way to boil water.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Endless Mike posted:

gently caress it sucks that no one in wherever Ganso Bomb lives figured out how to heat water without a kettle. Gotta throw my pasta in the kettle because that's the only way to boil water.

Yes I make spaghetti in a kettle because I never learned there were different tools for different jobs

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Now I really wanna make spaghetti in a kettle so I can watch the noodles pour out through the nozzle

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Spaghettle

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

a kettle made out of pasta filled with delicious onions, meat, red, and other

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Gumball Gumption posted:

I did not believe in the microphone as a weapon until the first time I held one. They're deceptively heavy and made to fit in your hand so they're a great impromptu weapon.

And the mesh around the diaphragm is usually really sharp, so not implausible to get juice from being hit with one (although I assume Mox gigged).

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Ganso Bomb posted:

Generally when a Brit (and presumably other Euros?) mention a kettle we are specifically thinking about an electric kettle. Stove top kettles are historical curios.

(Also you don't boil the pasta in the kettle, you boil the water in the kettle and then pour it into the pot to cook the pasta because it is way quicker than boiling that much water from tap temperature on the stove)

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

forkboy84 posted:

Generally when a Brit (and presumably other Euros?) mention a kettle we are specifically thinking about an electric kettle. Stove top kettles are historical curios.

(Also you don't boil the pasta in the kettle, you boil the water in the kettle and then pour it into the pot to cook the pasta because it is way quicker than boiling that much water from tap temperature on the stove)

I'm still gonna make pasta directly in the kettle and nobody can stop me. I live to see those noodles come pouring out.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

I have a kettle, an electric kettle specifically for sinus rinses and making pourover, and I make my tea with the water cooler.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Oi got a kettle for me tea and crumpies guvna

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

Spiderdrake posted:

I have a kettle, an electric kettle specifically for sinus rinses
Hell yeah! gently caress wasting money on distilled water.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
blimey a bloody chav nicked me kettle

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

I understand there are multiple culinary uses for easy access to boiling (rather than merely very hot) water.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Boiling water is against God and all of you boil freaks are going to hell, regardless of which of the devil's tools you use to do it.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

why boil when you can ride

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Can't wait to lance that boil...

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

Cavauro posted:

free tao of lmao

Posting this in the bad opinion thread is such a powerful own I may never recover.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I just finished boiling a microphone in my kettle.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

giving your own brother the hot mic.... smdh

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
https://twitter.com/tholzerman/status/1337189846864031744

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Who was expecting Okada

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU