Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fighting Elegy
Jan 2, 2007
I do not masturbate; I FIGHT!

TheAardvark posted:

should I try Desperate Housewives? I've never even considered the thought before lol

It's probably in my top 5 shows, and my favorite tv comedy besides for the good seasons of the Simpsons. Give the first episode a shot, I know it was enough to get me watching though it definitely is a show that grows on you as you grow to like the characters and get used to it's rhythm and surreal/satirical reality. It has 8 seasons and they're all pretty consistently good. Eva Longoria's acting is little shaky at first but she pretty quickly gets to be awesome and hilarious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

I'm about halfway through The Blue Rose. It's about two women who meet each other due to tragic circumstances and end up each getting a tattoo of a blue rose. It's good.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

You have got to be kidding me with Lucifer S3E25. On multiple levels.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.
Just finished Person of Interest. Holy poo poo, I loved this show. I can't believe the evolution from a procedural to what it became to. But if you rewatch the older episodes, they've done a great job of leaving breadcrumbs hinting at the bigger picture and circling back to all of them. It's also made me do a complete 180 on one of the main characters. The character development was really on point. I really wish the final season wasn't rushed because of dumb network decisions, but they still pulled off the ending really well. What a wild ride.

Honestly, my only complaints would be:

The Reese and Carter romance moment still feels completely out of nowhere and just feels off. Felt like a cheap way to make Carter's death have more impact and to have Reese go off the deep end for a bunch of episodes. Glad they kind of tempered this with the Carter ghost scene. Now that dynamic felt way more natural.

Dominic sucks, it's like someone giving a really bad Stringer Bell impression.

Shaw dying/being captured, disappearing then re-uniting with the team took way too long. Though reading back on it now, it seemed they didn't have much of a choice since Shahi left the show to give birth to twins. I wonder if Shaw being captured was even the original plan. A longer final season would have helped with this a lot. It's actually pretty impressive on how they wrote this away given that a main character had to be gone for so long.

Not enough episodes of Fusco after finally knowing about The Machine. Again, more episodes would have helped.

The solution being a super virus felt a little anti-climactic, but I guess the ending all worked out well anyway.

No Leon Tao and Carter cameos in the final season.

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Got a question goons: How good/bad does Grimm get? I tend to like the Supernatural type show and, despite the Monster face reveals being a bit silly, I am enjoying it. Just finished episode 13 and now I'm at an impasse. I like the show alright but not super jazzed about it. Fairly straight C grade so far.... but then I hit episode 13. Hitler was a supernatural creature and corrupted by cursed coins to be evil/more evil. It COULD be good if they lean far more into the cheesy route but it feels like Monster Hitler could either lead somewhere interesting or a sign of possible wretched and lazy television. Grimm so far tends to follow quite a bit of tv tropes so far and is just mediocre. Does it ever get better or is this more of a forgettable background show? It was a toss up between this, Sleepy Hollow or Once Upon a Time. I will say that I have never watched as much television as I have in 2020 and am started to get a bit tired of typical Cop Procedurals.

Side and possibly complex question: watching an insane amount of tv this past year made me wonder about television shows getting financial or resource backing from the police. I know American military are picky about backing a movie/show and will not let you have access to their equipment and active duty advisors unless you show the military in a positive light but is it the same with 5-0? Always wonder as, yet again, I've seen a ton of television in this annus horribilus and aside from certain shows like the Shield or the Wire, police and law enforcement are shown to be pure as driven snow good guys following a very puritanical moral code except for the occasional bad apple. Criminals can have anything done to them in the name of justice as they are filthy criminals. Taken at face value that is a touch dark and yet I keep seeing it throughout television and not just american television (though that is the most obvious). Figure there must be a logical motivation and the easiest and most reliable motivation is money. So anyone know? Any television producers among you goons?

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer

DogsInSpace! posted:

Side and possibly complex question: watching an insane amount of tv this past year made me wonder about television shows getting financial or resource backing from the police. I know American military are picky about backing a movie/show and will not let you have access to their equipment and active duty advisors unless you show the military in a positive light but is it the same with 5-0? Always wonder as, yet again, I've seen a ton of television in this annus horribilus and aside from certain shows like the Shield or the Wire, police and law enforcement are shown to be pure as driven snow good guys following a very puritanical moral code except for the occasional bad apple. Criminals can have anything done to them in the name of justice as they are filthy criminals. Taken at face value that is a touch dark and yet I keep seeing it throughout television and not just american television (though that is the most obvious). Figure there must be a logical motivation and the easiest and most reliable motivation is money. So anyone know? Any television producers among you goons?

Don't know the answer, but I'd guess that's part of it. You want permission to film in Chicago or NYC? They may be more helpful if you don't make their PD's look bad? But I think a big part of it is in general most network TV is at some level "feel good" TV because that's not going to turn advertisers off and gets middle America to watch. So at minimum you'll need sympathetic main characters, and you'll probably end up with a mostly sympathetic police cast around them. Just gotta look at the counter-protests this year to see how much people cling to the "few bad apples" illusion. Maybe that's finally changing with things like Brooklyn 99 pulling its own production.

Pollyanna posted:

You have got to be kidding me with Lucifer S3E25. On multiple levels.

Not sure if you are complaining about it or not, but it's got some fun moments! Maze pulling up to the amusement park "What did you two idiots do this time" lol

As I mentioned above, it's a Fox produced episode that's out of place since Netflix took over the show starting with S4.

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib

DogsInSpace! posted:

Got a question goons: How good/bad does Grimm get? I tend to like the Supernatural type show and, despite the Monster face reveals being a bit silly, I am enjoying it. Just finished episode 13 and now I'm at an impasse. I like the show alright but not super jazzed about it. Fairly straight C grade so far.... but then I hit episode 13. Hitler was a supernatural creature and corrupted by cursed coins to be evil/more evil. It COULD be good if they lean far more into the cheesy route but it feels like Monster Hitler could either lead somewhere interesting or a sign of possible wretched and lazy television. Grimm so far tends to follow quite a bit of tv tropes so far and is just mediocre. Does it ever get better or is this more of a forgettable background show? It was a toss up between this, Sleepy Hollow or Once Upon a Time. I will say that I have never watched as much television as I have in 2020 and am started to get a bit tired of typical Cop Procedurals.

Grimm lives and dies on your appreciation for the character of adalind

Hitler is never referred to again, it stays troperific and middlingly okay. I found it consistent in its mediocre quality so there's that.

Sleepy Hollow season one I found was much more entertaining and enjoyable than Grimm, it's lighter in tone and more comedic. Later seasons are less good, I gave up after season 2. SH has some real genuine acting talent that Grimm lacks, if that's a swinger for you.

Never watched Ouat, but if you like fun hokey supernatural and are not put off by frank sex scenes tits n rear end, try Lost Girl.

Sloth Life fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Dec 8, 2020

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

TheAardvark posted:

should I try Desperate Housewives? I've never even considered the thought before lol

Give it a shot. It can be cheesy and hokey at times, but my wife and I watched every episode and we loved it. It can definitely suck you in and leave you wanting more

Just remember that at it's core it's a soap opera, but if you want something where you can zone out you can do a hell of a lot worse.

BigBallChunkyTime fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Dec 8, 2020

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Once Upon A Time is fitfully bad, and generally pretty poor. The spin off series also had a wonky start - neither show had good SFX, but Wonderland is particularly invested in muddy looking CGI backgrounds - but ends up surprisingly compelling. Still, I wouldn't particularly recommend the show.

Grimm is more mediocre than bad, and has little to no interest in its mega plot for long periods of time. (As opposed to OUAT, which has a lot of plot busywork, but it's really all plate spinning). It's probably the best of the three shows you've suggested. Some fun side characters.

Sleepy Hollow is very bad. It has some fun material early on, but also no intention of paying off any of its early hooks (which are numerous, and nearly all dropped). It rapidly goes downhill, and early into its second season becomes basically terrible.

If you're looking for fun fantasy action shows, I'd recommend Buffy/Angel (not loved on this forum, but still, IMO, very good, particularly Angel), The Magicians, Wynonna Earp (very poor early half a dozen EPs, before becoming easily the funniest show on this list), Being Human (the UK version, don't bother with the US, the writing mistakes morality play for soap opera).

I can poke holes at all of these, but I reckon they were all worth a person's time. They also all have endings, except Earp which is ongoing, which is more than can be said for a lot of television.

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Thanks BetterLek. That makes sense

Sloth Life posted:

Never watched Ouat, but if you like fun hokey supernatural and are not put off by frank sex scenes tits n rear end, try Lost Girl.
Weirdly enough Lost Girl is one of those show types I'm looking for but just watched the show itself not long ago.

Open Source Idiom posted:

Once Upon A Time is fitfully bad, and generally pretty poor. The spin off series also had a wonky start - neither show had good SFX, but Wonderland is particularly invested in muddy looking CGI backgrounds - but ends up surprisingly compelling. Still, I wouldn't particularly recommend the show.

Grimm is more mediocre than bad, and has little to no interest in its mega plot for long periods of time. (As opposed to OUAT, which has a lot of plot busywork, but it's really all plate spinning). It's probably the best of the three shows you've suggested. Some fun side characters.

Sleepy Hollow is very bad. It has some fun material early on, but also no intention of paying off any of its early hooks (which are numerous, and nearly all dropped). It rapidly goes downhill, and early into its second season becomes basically terrible.

If you're looking for fun fantasy action shows, I'd recommend Buffy/Angel (not loved on this forum, but still, IMO, very good, particularly Angel), The Magicians, Wynonna Earp (very poor early half a dozen EPs, before becoming easily the funniest show on this list), Being Human (the UK version, don't bother with the US, the writing mistakes morality play for soap opera).

I can poke holes at all of these, but I reckon they were all worth a person's time. They also all have endings, except Earp which is ongoing, which is more than can be said for a lot of television.

Thank you. You hit perfectly what I am looking for but sadly, the only show I haven't seen on your list is Wynonna Earp. Guess I could give that and Van Helsing a go. I miss the Magicians already as well as Supernatural. Buffy and Angel are no longer loved? I know they haven't aged as well as some shows but they were decent shows and Angel hits some really good beats. I did a Whedonverse rewatch (including Dollhouse) in the early part of the year which feels like centuries ago. I can see why some get annoyed as they are a little too cutesy with the dialogue and Xander is a total "good guy" sex pest but I don't see how it's much worse than other late 90s or early 00 fare. Had some good episodes in there and it will always be one of those shows I watched after school so I will admit to some rosy tinted. They really should have had Nathan Fillion kill Xander tho. Anyway, next you will be saying goons hate Red Dwarf.

Not that anyone here watched it but skip Hellstrom. Not even engaging enough to be hate watched or even background watched. I think I made it 4 episodes before it somehow annoyed me even just being in the background. Still don't know how it managed to bored me active watching and actively annoy me in the background but it did. "Evil" was a treat and thank you guys again.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Chilling Adventures of Sabrina has a fun style and decent acting. Not sure it needs another season but apparently it's getting a short one. I'm not sure I watched the whole thing but The Order is silly hijinxs that mostly worked for me because it didn't seem to take itself seriously at all.

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Fallen Rib
Wynonna is intensely uneven, in the same way as later seasons of Lost Girl are but if you liked Lost Girl it's a good next step. Same showrunner, same girl kickin rear end while quipping vibes.

Killjoys is not supernatural but it's by the original lost girl creator - set in futuristic dystopia capitalism hell world- and it's hokey but positive fun. Creepy aliens are like the supernatural right?

Shadowhunters? A bit YA maybe and the main casts acting ability really ranges from 'looks pretty' to 'can actually emote' but it has its moments and it's got heart, dammit! It's no worse than Grimm and I found the high points to be higher. Buffy lite, better than Charmed though.

Have you tried Charmed? It's bad.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Sloth Life posted:

Have you tried Charmed? It's bad.

I'm surprised some variation of this post isn't more common in this thread.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I tried the pilot of the Charmed reboot and couldn’t even make it through. The old one is cheesy as heck but sometimes in a fun way, but when I tried to rewatch it I realized my favorite part was probably the intro music which got switched for something generic.

mystes
May 31, 2006

I didn't even know there was a reboot and thought everyone was talking about the original.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Wife and I just finished up Season 1 of His Dark Materials, which I got into much more than I thought I would. Then again I'm a sucker for this sort of show.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

DogsInSpace! posted:

Thank you. You hit perfectly what I am looking for but sadly, the only show I haven't seen on your list is Wynonna Earp. Guess I could give that and Van Helsing a go. I miss the Magicians already as well as Supernatural. Buffy and Angel are no longer loved? I know they haven't aged as well as some shows but they were decent shows and Angel hits some really good beats. I did a Whedonverse rewatch (including Dollhouse) in the early part of the year which feels like centuries ago. I can see why some get annoyed as they are a little too cutesy with the dialogue and Xander is a total "good guy" sex pest but I don't see how it's much worse than other late 90s or early 00 fare. Had some good episodes in there and it will always be one of those shows I watched after school so I will admit to some rosy tinted. They really should have had Nathan Fillion kill Xander tho. Anyway, next you will be saying goons hate Red Dwarf.

Buffy and Angel saved my life when I was going through some intense depression, isolation, and a major career change back in 2005. I never watched either show when they were airing, but I borrowed a friend's DVDs and enjoyed the hell out of them at the time. I watched Firefly and the first season of Veronica Mars during that period and loved them too, so they all fit together in my head. I feel like I've outgrown most of Whedon's work, but Angel Season 5 may still be my favorite single season of any show ever, and Buffy's "Once More With Feeling" is probably my favorite episode of any show ever. I still have a lot of love for Dollhouse -- if you can get through the first five uneven and mediocre episodes, I think it becomes a great show starting with episode 6, despite the obvious creepy stuff.

I'll also recommend Wynonna Earp, although my wife and I fell off watching it somewhere in Season 3. Honestly, we never loved the supernatural stuff all that much, but we love the main characters and their scenes together -- the friendships, family stuff, romances. It's great fun just watching these hot, funny, entertaining, flawed people sitting around drinking and shooting the poo poo, far more than watching Wynonna shoot demons and monsters.

Another recommendation for you: DC's Legends of Tomorrow. A spinoff of Arrow and Flash featuring some of the most fun supporting characters from both shows (and eventually some of the best recurring villains), it quickly becomes more of a time travel show than a superhero show, and eventually it deals with mythical creatures, and then real-life historical villains who have escaped from Hell. There are always ongoing story arcs, but for the most part it's an episodic show -- and often a drat funny one. It's the only "Arrowverse" show I didn't give up on, because I love the ridiculous "anything can happen here" atmosphere and most of the core characters. Some people will tell you to skip Season 1, but even though it has a few of the worst characters, they don't stick around afterwards, and Season 1 also has the best character.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Dec 9, 2020

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I don't know how well it's aged since I never rewatched it, but as supernatural serials go, Reaper was a lot of fun. More on the comedy side, but still a high concept fantasy in a modern setting.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen
What's something fun and mindless I can binge where I can just zone out and turn off my brain and forget the world for a while? I have Netflix, Hulu, and Prime.

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
I finished season one of Fargo. The villain veered a bit too close to No Country for Old Men to feel fresh, but overall I liked it as much as the Coen's movies.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

FPyat posted:

I finished season one of Fargo. The villain veered a bit too close to No Country for Old Men to feel fresh, but overall I liked it as much as the Coen's movies.

Billy Bob Thornton was amazing.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

sticklefifer posted:

I don't know how well it's aged since I never rewatched it, but as supernatural serials go, Reaper was a lot of fun. More on the comedy side, but still a high concept fantasy in a modern setting.

that show was my first "gently caress why did they cancel that" show!

I'm terrified to rewatch it because it might be bad, but it had Ray Wise as the devil, which has to singlehandedly make it worth it still.

Random Hero
Jun 4, 2004
I could sure go for a Miller High Life...

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

Billy Bob Thornton was amazing.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related

What's something fun and mindless I can binge where I can just zone out and turn off my brain and forget the world for a while? I have Netflix, Hulu, and Prime.

I just did this with The 100. It's bad, but like candy bad.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
Starting from the top of Letterkenny. Goddamned hilarious.

Sonderval
Sep 10, 2011
Finished the last season of Justified, loved it, a fitting end to a great series.

Started on The Americans, four episodes in, not really feeling it, does it pick up?

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

Sonderval posted:

Started on The Americans, four episodes in, not really feeling it, does it pick up?

I would say absolutely yes. I can't remember if I was iffy on it at first, but it definitely keeps getting better over time.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Sloth Life posted:

Killjoys is not supernatural but it's by the original lost girl creator - set in futuristic dystopia capitalism hell world- and it's hokey but positive fun. Creepy aliens are like the supernatural right?

I really got to love Killjoys. First season is okay, then it becomes amazing. I think of it as a little like Firefly could have been, just space cyberpunk with aliens rather than space western.

Got through the first season of Dark Matter too, which starts of about similar quality to Killjoys in what could be a different part of the same universe. I gather it doesn't improve as much, but still watchable.

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

"We're not laughing with you, we're laughing at you"

Blood of Zeus is a fun anime-lite romp using the Greek mythology as inspiration, or as I like to call it, the OG Anime.it's made by the same guys who did castlevania.
most human characters are dull, but the Greek gods are pretty fun.
There's some wild monster designs too.

Their next project is a animated series based on the Ramayana, that's gonna be bonkers.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Antifa Poltergeist posted:

Blood of Zeus is a fun anime-lite romp using the Greek mythology as inspiration, or as I like to call it, the OG Anime.it's made by the same guys who did castlevania.
most human characters are dull, but the Greek gods are pretty fun.
There's some wild monster designs too.

Their next project is a animated series based on the Ramayana, that's gonna be bonkers.
I watched some of this and it seemed decent but also sort of disappointing like clearly a lot of effort went into it but the writing just needed a little more work for it to be a much better show.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Sonderval posted:

Finished the last season of Justified, loved it, a fitting end to a great series.

I did the exact same thing as you but gave up on The Americans after season 2.

It’s just a downer of a show. It is incredibly well acted, but it’s really dark and gloomy and, maybe with everything going on in 2020 I wasn’t in the mood for that type of show.

Justified could get dark too but the characters were also just a lot of fun to watch.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

The Americans is really drat good but it's not easy watching at all

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Supernatural

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Solaris 2.0 posted:

I did the exact same thing as you but gave up on The Americans after season 2.

It’s just a downer of a show. It is incredibly well acted, but it’s really dark and gloomy and, maybe with everything going on in 2020 I wasn’t in the mood for that type of show.

I remember when critics kept insisting that The Americans was the best show no one was watching, and know no one talks about it. Excellent performances, definitely, but it's also very cold, very slow, and unlike Mad Men, The Sopranos, Deadwood, etc. not nearly as funny.

The plot of the finale reads as a kind of terrible joke, I'll give it that. However, the show never really worked for me.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Sonderval posted:

Yes

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Killer robot posted:

I really got to love Killjoys. First season is okay, then it becomes amazing. I think of it as a little like Firefly could have been, just space cyberpunk with aliens rather than space western.

Got through the first season of Dark Matter too, which starts of about similar quality to Killjoys in what could be a different part of the same universe. I gather it doesn't improve as much, but still watchable.

Haven’t seen Killjoy but I did see Dark Matter a while ago. It’s an ok Canadian Sexy Space Pirates show but I do remember it eventually got to be a slog. It doesn’t stick with me enough to remember where it turned.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Big Mouth keeps getting better each season

Amazing guests including episode with stars of Pen15 playing 7th graders

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen
Is Good Girls any good?

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Lucifer, Netflix: The 'dumb hottie' of police procedurals. Mains are an actress-turned-detective and the actual, literal Devil (lmao).

My Name Is Earl, Hulu: A ne'er-do-well discover karma, winning the lottery then immediately being hit by a car. He resolves to right every wrong he's ever committed. An '00s network comedy, so, some poorly aged humor.

Accretionist fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Dec 10, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Fallen Rib

BetterLekNextTime posted:

Haven’t seen Killjoy but I did see Dark Matter a while ago. It’s an ok Canadian Sexy Space Pirates show but I do remember it eventually got to be a slog. It doesn’t stick with me enough to remember where it turned.

I watched dark matter as well, but Killjoys I found to be more compelling character and story wise and it was just, more fun, honestly. It's like that episode of dark matter where the android teaches three (?) French during a time loop, but like that most
of the time.

And I don't know if this matters to many but Killjoys has both lesbian and gay representation all over the place, and they are people! While also being fabulous. And only sometimes evil.