Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

GalacticAcid posted:

Too bad about the Frederick Keys, their stadium looks neat
They are going to be in the ‘draft league’ for players who are intending to go into the draft that year. It’s going to be some kind of new short season league.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
https://twitter.com/anthonydicomo/status/1336756631527448578?s=21

Cyclones as a High A club is cool at least

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Hell yeah, my local team got promoted to High A from Short Season A. I'm looking forward to going to a lot more games in 2022 (because lets be real 2021's gonna be 2020 part 2).

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Giants signed Chadwick Tromp to be the backup catcher.

Chadwick Tromp.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

My local team got booted entirely and is going to one of those “partner” leagues. Maybe they can start a rivalry with the Chicago Dogs, at least.

Maybe it’s for the best, because trying to take my kid to Opening Night in mid April was always a rainy, frigid shitshow.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Minor league affiliations being announced today. Lansing Lugnuts no longer with the Jays while Vancouver becomes their high-A affiliate.

Jays affiliates all seemed like easy decisions. Can’t drop Buffalo after this year and they are one of the bigger AAA markets anyways, dropping Vancouver would be PR hell, and they own the Dunedin team and have the stadium leased for like 20 years so of course they were going to stay there.

New Hampshire is the only one that they could have thought about but they’ve been together since 2003 so why change what’s working.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

I'm glad Ballwinkle didn't get the chopping block.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

https://twitter.com/MLBNetwork/status/1336759443296546816

uhhhhh pardon?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Full season minor league featuring players that more than 5 other people might have heard of? Hell yeah.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
When was the last time Al Michaels announced a baseball game??

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

seiferguy posted:

When was the last time Al Michaels announced a baseball game??

Possibly the 89 World Series

Edit: he did the 94 and 95 seasons on ABC.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Also, the Mariners made a signing!

https://twitter.com/KenDavidoff/status/1336776361701216265

A former Mets pitcher who was awful then found success in the KBO. He's only 26!

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
I mean I'll take unambiguously good at announcing dude Al Michaels who once did baseball over Hawk Harrelson who announced too much baseball and won last year.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Al Michaels wins in recognition of Hardball III.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Terribly late to the Bobby Abreu train, but in 2004, he hit .301/.428/.544 with 30 homers, 40 steals, 47 doubles, and 127 walks.

He finished 23rd in MVP voting that year, behind Juan Pierre and Steve Finley.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

fawning deference posted:

Terribly late to the Bobby Abreu train, but in 2004, he hit .301/.428/.544 with 30 homers, 40 steals, 47 doubles, and 127 walks.

He finished 23rd in MVP voting that year, behind Juan Pierre and Steve Finley.

I mean he had a very good year but the people who got significant mvp vote share: Barrold, Beltre, Pujols, Scott Rolen, Jim Edmonds, JD Drew all had unambiguously better seasons. Juan Pierre was also good that year, they both probably were worthy of throwaway down ballot mvp votes.

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt
since it's kind of quiet, maybe someone can help me out here.

I've had a vague half-memory of a term thrown around SAS in like, 09-11 of a start being classified as a certain pitcher win. I always end up back at Jamie Moyer, but it wasn't him I think
Does anyone else remember this? So my brain will quit doing laps trying to dig up memories of a decade ago.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

23rd seems ridiculously low and there were players ahead of him who's seasons weren't close to as good

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Penisaurus Sex posted:

since it's kind of quiet, maybe someone can help me out here.

I've had a vague half-memory of a term thrown around SAS in like, 09-11 of a start being classified as a certain pitcher win. I always end up back at Jamie Moyer, but it wasn't him I think
Does anyone else remember this? So my brain will quit doing laps trying to dig up memories of a decade ago.

It is Moyer yes

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt
poo poo I thought it was someone else and now I'm upset I was correct 4 months ago.

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

Splint Chesthair posted:

Al Michaels wins in recognition of Hardball III.

Such an unloved series of great baseball games.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
https://twitter.com/jmackeypg/status/1336822853052805120?s=21

Mackey is a dummy but his sources are always good

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Well this makes no sense.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Taillon won’t move before the season begins, I’m sure.

Bell might, we'll see. Wouldn’t have guessed the yanks as his destination though

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

fawning deference posted:

23rd seems ridiculously low and there were players ahead of him who's seasons weren't close to as good

I agree completely, I don't pay that much attention to MVP votes after the first 4 or so, which I don't think Abreu deserved to be in. Usually the down ballot votes mean "dude who was a nice piece in a nice team" or was given a throwaway vote by the local beat reporter.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Excuse me but Ryan Tepera is not a joke

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

I would love to be able to root for Taillon's comeback with him in pinstripes but I worry about where they would want to slot him into the rotation :ohdear:

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Ryan Tepera kicks rear end

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Inspector_666 posted:

I would love to be able to root for Taillon's comeback with him in pinstripes but I worry about where they would want to slot him into the rotation :ohdear:

Two TJs now, I wonder if they’d like to use him as a one inning arm. I know he wants to start, but we'll see

blossommirage
Nov 7, 2012

elentar posted:

The Braves unsurprisingly keep Gwinnett, Mississippi, and Rome, while adding Augusta as their low-A.

Mississippi is like the only team now not based in Georgia. Wonder how long it'll take before they replace them with Macon or Savannah.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Spoeank posted:

someone submitted a worse ballot than the blank one

https://twitter.com/NotMrTibbs/status/1336177305840803840

Like...all of them had great careers.

Helton was incredible in his prime. Same with Larry Walker when healthy. Some nuts numbers.

Granted steroids steroids but still.

My homerism wants Omar V and Manny in there pronto.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Here's the 43 minor league teams who are no longer affiliated with MLB: https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/2020/12/09/mlb-announces-minor-league-affiliate-invites-some-teams-miss-cut/3805929001/ (Some of them will join one of the new indy leagues)

quote:

Appalachian collegiate summer league

Bluefield (West Virginia), Blue Jays
Bristol (Virginia), Pirates
Burlington (North Carolina), Royals
Danville (Virginia), Braves
Elizabethton (Tennessee), Twins
Greeneville (Tennessee), Reds
Johnson City (Tennessee), Cardinals
Kingsport (Tennessee), Mets
Princeton (West Virginia), Rays
Pulaski (Virginia), Yankees

MLB Draft League

Mahoning Valley (Ohio), Indians
State College (Pennsylvania), Cardinals
West Virginia Pirates
Williamsport (Pennsylvania), Phillies
Trenton (New Jersey), Yankees
Frederick (Maryland), Orioles

Pioneer independent league

Billings (Montana)
Missoula (Montana)
Great Falls (Montana) White Sox
Idaho Falls (Idaho) Royals
Ogden (Utah) Dodgers
Grand Junction (Colorado) Rockies
Orem (Utah) Angels
Rocky Mountain (Colorado) Brewers

No current league

Lowell (Massachusetts) Red Sox
Hagerstown (Maryland) Nationals
Burlington (Iowa) Angels
Clinton (Iowa) Marlins
Kane County (Illinois) Diamondbacks
Lexington (Kentucky) Royals
Charlotte (Florida) Rays
West Virginia (Charleston) Mariners
(North Port) Florida, Braves
Salem-Keizer (Oregon) Giants
Staten Island (New York) Yankees
Batavia (New York) Marlins
Auburn (New York) Nationals
Norwich (Connecticut) Tigers
Tri-City (New York) Astros
Vermont (Burlington) A's
Lancaster (California) Rockies*
Boise (Northwest) Rockies

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

The Pussy Boss posted:

Here's the 43 minor league teams who are no longer affiliated with MLB: https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/2020/12/09/mlb-announces-minor-league-affiliate-invites-some-teams-miss-cut/3805929001/ (Some of them will join one of the new indy leagues)

Well poo poo. RIP Kane County Cougars

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.

blossommirage posted:

Mississippi is like the only team now not based in Georgia. Wonder how long it'll take before they replace them with Macon or Savannah.

Augusta is just barely on the SC side of the border, I think? Anyway the Braves own the Mississippi club so they're pretty solid.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

elentar posted:

Augusta is just barely on the SC side of the border, I think? Anyway the Braves own the Mississippi club so they're pretty solid.

Augusta is in Georgia. North Augusta is in South Carolina.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!
Today is the Rule V Draft btw

:toot:

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.

RC and Moon Pie posted:

Augusta is in Georgia. North Augusta is in South Carolina.

Ok well then they play in North Augusta but still just call themselves Augusta. The park is like 10 feet from the Savannah River.

Do the two Augustas have a rivalry or do they just consider themselves one city like Bristol TN/VA?

elentar fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Dec 10, 2020

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

https://twitter.com/jaysonst/status/1337113563693985792?s=21

Dave Dombrowski about to do his thing yet again

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
https://twitter.com/feinsand/status/1337115839519223814?s=21

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU