Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

so what you're saying is regardless of their individual merits as films, the Raimi Spider-Man movies and their consequences have been a disaster for the human race

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good point keep talkin
Sep 14, 2011

feedmyleg posted:

It does kick rear end. That, however, is not what I want out of a Terminator movie. I want it to be terrifying.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
It’s phenomenal that T2 takes the groundwork laid by T1 and does something radically different with it, including utilizing delightful subversions of the expectations set by T1. All sequels should aspire to this.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Anonymous Robot posted:

It’s phenomenal that T2 takes the groundwork laid by T1 and does something radically different with it, including utilizing delightful subversions of the expectations set by T1. All sequels should aspire to this.

Aliens did it better, BOOM

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Skwirl posted:

For much of the nineties your only choice when it came to choices you could watch the scary terminator movie or the action terminator movie, now, with our advanced technology you can watch the scary terminator or a multitude of action terminators of widely varying quality.

I suppose Bad to Unwatchably Bad is technically "widely varying quality"

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

no but seriously i got no smoke with T2, it gave us this music video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAOmxtwoEjw

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

TrixRabbi posted:

I suppose Bad to Unwatchably Bad is technically "widely varying quality"

I mean, you still had Terminator 2, I know the thread has turned against it somewhat, but I wouldn't call it bad.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
Terminator 2 is still a goddamn great movie, but it’s just not as good as Terminator 1.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I'd take the middle part of T2 over the clumsy sex scene in T1 any day.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Aliens did it better, BOOM

"Inferior to Aliens" is, uh, praising with faint drat

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Kazzah posted:

"Inferior to Aliens" is, uh, praising with faint drat

That's true. And I try to not hold it against either of them for not being as good as the Alien 3 Assembly Cut

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I used to think Aliens and T2 were better than Alien and T1.

Now I think T1 is the better movie, but I love T2.

I still think Aliens is better than Alien....so is Prometheus.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
The shops near me always stock weird sodas and I have no idea what the gently caress this is

Presumably a very old energy drink

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

The Peccadillo posted:

The shops near me always stock weird sodas and I have no idea what the gently caress this is

Presumably a very old energy drink

Look at the ingredients, B12, Guarana, Taurine and good old fashioned Caffeine are the key words if it's supposed to be an energy drink.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

Skwirl posted:

Look at the ingredients, B12, Guarana, Taurine and good old fashioned Caffeine are the key words if it's supposed to be an energy drink.

Soda water, red 40 colouring, citric acid and caffeine

Jesus Christ

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

The Peccadillo posted:

Jesus Christ

No sugar or corn syrup?

it's just a regular soda if it has that or a diet one if it doesn't because I'm sure there's a bunch of other chemicals you left out.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

The Peccadillo posted:

Jesus Christ

If you drink it you are definitely going to travel through time and space into a theater playing Terminator: Genisys.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

Skwirl posted:

No sugar or corn syrup?

it's just a regular soda if it has that or a diet one if it doesn't because I'm sure there's a bunch of other chemicals you left out.

The picture I posted got the "with real sugar" note on it, the famous American beg, but yeah that's the whole ingredient list

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Did you drink it yet?

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

Terminator Genysis Big Red Vintage Reset tastes pretty good. Strawberry for some reason

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Blood Simple is pretty good

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Gripweed posted:

Yeah, duh.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

The opening scenes where they're in silhouette and you just see the water pouring down the windshield and the lights of passing cars is fantastic.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Skwirl posted:

Yeah, duh.

That's a really insulting response to an opinion you agree with

FreudianSlippers posted:

The opening scenes where they're in silhouette and you just see the water pouring down the windshield and the lights of passing cars is fantastic.

Headlights on a dark road at night is such a great visual I don't understand why there are movies that don't use it.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Gripweed posted:

You should check out A Gun, A Woman and a Noodle Shop. It's Zhang Yimou putting his own interpretation on Blood Simple.

e: Also, I forget if I posted this last time I rewatched Blood Simple, but it definitely has a touch of anti-capitalist seasoning. It's not a full-blown political treatise or anything, but the opening monologue sets up Texas individualism in contrast to the USSR, and the movie is very much driven by things getting worse because everyone is looking out for themselves.

Hand Knit fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Dec 10, 2020

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Gripweed posted:

That's a really insulting response to an opinion you agree with

Is it really

like c'mon this isn't D&D

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

porfiria posted:

James Cameron is very good at what he does, but he hasn't made a really great movie since Terminator 1. Terminator 2 is pretty good.

It's kind of an Alien/Aliens thing. The first movie is a really good horror movie. Terminator 2 is one of the best action movies ever made. Though in the case of the former I think Alien is the better movie of the two. I am willing to admit that in this discussion I am very far from being a dispassionate party for reasons that I've discussed many times and most recently in the Movie of the Month thread I devoted to Terminator 2.

Schwarzwald posted:

none of its set pieces quite measure up to the nightclub scene in the first.

I can't image thinking this. The second half of that movie is one crazy action set piece after another. A loving guy risked his life for a cool shot and flew a helicopter under a highway overpass with very little clearance against the wishes of the producers and Cameron. There's that whole minigun sequence. The escape from the hospital has a brawl that ends with a guy running down a hallway emptying two magazines out of a handgun without even breaking his stride just seconds after he walked through steel bars. The opening scene in the future war is more exciting than some entire sci-fi films manage to be. Everything in that movie is meant to be huge and bombastic. And it is. The only other time Cameron reached that kind of grandiosity was when he made Titanic.

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.
My favorite scene in the terminator franchise is the one where the terminator goes "ciao, bella" and presses the plunger on an old timey detonator with TNT written on it and blows up stonehenge.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Carly Gay Dead Son posted:

My favorite scene in the terminator franchise is the one where the terminator goes "ciao, bella" and presses the plunger on an old timey detonator with TNT written on it and blows up stonehenge.

I laughed at this before I remembered there are a whole bunch of sequels and from what I know about them there is a non-zero chance this happens somewhere.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
So crazy how little time travel has been explored in a series that is entrenched in it. If you insist on making more of these then give me an ancient robot civilization discovered in a Cretaceous rock deposit from when they decided to populate ancient earth or a BTTF2 revisit of the first film with multiple Sarah Connors of different ages or something. Just not another robot sent to the present to kill someone.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

feedmyleg posted:

So crazy how little time travel has been explored in a series that is entrenched in it. If you insist on making more of these then give me an ancient robot civilization discovered in a Cretaceous rock deposit from when they decided to populate ancient earth or a BTTF2 revisit of the first film with multiple Sarah Connors of different ages or something. Just not another robot sent to the present to kill someone.

The TV show did a bit of that, there was a terminator who got sent back way to far in the past, figured it out due to the position of the stars and had himself bricked into a wall and went into sleep mode until he could burst through the wall at the right time for a dramatic entrance.

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.
The Terminator: Baba booey, baba booey. [connects two live wires; the Eiffel Tower implodes.]

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.
Terminator: Me love you... [the timer on the EMP mine reaches 0; a massive shockwave disables all the animatronics at Stew Leonards] ...long time.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Skwirl posted:

I mean, you still had Terminator 2, I know the thread has turned against it somewhat, but I wouldn't call it bad.

I thought you just meant post-T2.

I rewatched T1 and T2 earlier this year and I think they're both neck and neck for me. They're two different types of masterpieces and as much as T1 is more to my typical aesthetic I can't deny just how much fun T2 is. Like I'm not gonna choose because they're just so different. Same reason I don't really compare Alien to Aliens cause they're just radically different films.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

The Terminator: what is up (falls head first from the top of the Chrysler building into a cop's nutsack)

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I Before E posted:

The Terminator: what is up (falls head first from the top of the Chrysler building into a cop's nutsack)

That would be a noble death. Headbutt a cop in the nuts from over 100 stories.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Terminator 1 is way better than Terminator 2, because it has stop-motion animation.

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Terminator 1 is way better than Terminator 2, because it has stop-motion animation.

So if the presence of stop motion animation is an objectively good thing, does this mean there are no bad claymation movies?

Cause I'm wracking my brain and drawing a blank.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Carly Gay Dead Son posted:

So if the presence of stop motion animation is an objectively good thing, does this mean there are no bad claymation movies?

Cause I'm wracking my brain and drawing a blank.

I also can't think of a bad movie with claymation, but on a theoretical level the presence of an objectively good thing in a movie doesn't make the whole movie good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
"Early Man" is not super good, but the fact that it is a stop motion production makes it way better than it otherwise would have been. Amazing production design, mostly in the city.