Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

infernal machines posted:

you got login items, son

the only login item listed in sys prefs is dropbox, if that’s what’s taking four minutes to boot i have serious questions

unless there are hidden ones somewhere?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
there can be a lot of them that don't show up in system prefs, yeah.

/Library/StartUpItems
/Library/LaunchDaemons
/Library/LaunchAgents
/System/Library/LaunchDaemons
/System/Library/LaunchAgents

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

there can be a lot of them that don't show up in system prefs, yeah.

/Library/StartUpItems
/Library/LaunchDaemons
/Library/LaunchAgents
/System/Library/LaunchDaemons
/System/Library/LaunchAgents

oh cool there are hundreds with opaque computer names

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
yeah, you probably shouldn't touch them

they're there though. maybe mixed in with all the standard apple stuff and adobe bullshit is something you'd actually want to remove. who knows.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
my suspicion is that theres something left over from old software or a previous verison of mac os that its taking forever to verify or something

still very tempted to just flatten adn reinstall

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

it would be swell if there were a boot/app profiler of some kind

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

it would be swell if there were a boot/app profiler of some kind

iT jUsT wOrKs

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

i guess it could be something it's trying to verify the signature for on execute that's just hanging until it times out

you can check the system log if you feel like doing some computer janitoring

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

if you feel like doing some computer janitoring

dont do it

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Gentle Autist posted:

people always say this but i listen to 10ish hours of podcasts a week on mine and they are still going strong after almost 3 years

Yeah, that's not heavy use though, I've usually got something going 35-40 hours a week or more on my headphones

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

either way it is more an issue of principle than any real impact (as long as you recycle them properly). few people keep headphones for very long either way, but that is in itself bad and lovely, and it is kind of sad that apple leans into it.

not least in that apple has historically been pretty good about making their devices practical lifetime quite long.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

haveblue posted:

there's a secret command to silently disable biometrics somewhere, I think you rapidly hit the side button a couple of times

of course if you're wary enough in advance you can turn it off in system settings

yeah, unless you just spontaneously find yourself in a protest, turning off faceid before going to it is trivial to do

Astoundingly Ugly Baby
Mar 22, 2006

"...crying bitch cave bitch boy."
- Anonymous Facebook user
I'm in the process of setting up a trade in through apple for my 2018 MBP and the serial number identifies it as having a 2.7 Ghz i7.

It's actually got the 2.3 Ghz i5. Does Apple just not give a gently caress about what the serial number actually says when it comes to trade ins? That's kind of weird.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

yeah, I only use faceid for applepay because credit card charges are easy enough to reverse. gently caress biometrics to unlock computers

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

no, it's not that, i just don't want to get mugged and have some chucklefuck empty my bank account because they can point my phone at my face
1Password my doge. I can't imagine storing any actual money-related pws in keychain/faceid

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

:shrug: the td bank app has faceid integration*, but it can only be used if the phone is already unlocked. same with microsoft authenticator*. it's good enough for me.

i could disable it completely but it's annoying enough to pin unlock, doing it every time for every app is certainly more secure, but to a degree i don't care about

*to my knowledge these don't store the actual account password in keychain, they have some kind of auth proxy via faceid. i don't have keychain sync enabled either.

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Dec 9, 2020

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
lmao if you haven't set up a brewfile to redownload all your apps with a one-liner

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
I use faceid like a normal person

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

i doubt that you do anything like a normal person

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

if ur worried about it surreptitiously uploading 3D face scans to the bad guys I don't think turning off the convenient face unlock feature is gonna help you there. you're still letting it scan your face every time you look at it lol

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Juul-Whip posted:

if ur worried about it surreptitiously uploading 3D face scans to the bad guys I don't think turning off the convenient face unlock feature is gonna help you there. you're still letting it scan your face every time you look at it lol

were all turbofucked when the great face-offening happens

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

doesn’t FaceID use secure enclave?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

PleasureKevin posted:

doesn’t FaceID use secure enclave?

yes

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.

:shrug: the td bank app has faceid integration*, but it can only be used if the phone is already unlocked. same with microsoft authenticator*. it's good enough for me.

i could disable it completely but it's annoying enough to pin unlock, doing it every time for every app is certainly more secure, but to a degree i don't care about

*to my knowledge these don't store the actual account password in keychain, they have some kind of auth proxy via faceid. i don't have keychain sync enabled either.

the dialog box that comes up also says face id even when you are using touchid

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

hold power and volume up. takes you to the power-off and emergency call screen and requires the passcode to unlock the phone.

thegreatcodfish
Aug 2, 2004

Shifty Pony posted:

hold power and volume up. takes you to the power-off and emergency call screen and requires the passcode to unlock the phone.

You can also click power 5 times to do the same.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Shifty Pony posted:

you don’t need to touch the volume button for this

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

clicking the power button started a siren and a call to emergency

I’m at work ffs lol

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Juul-Whip posted:

i'm not worried about that, and i don't think anyone in this thread has even suggested anything like that

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

mediaphage posted:

you don’t need to touch the volume button for this

you do on a faceid phone. just holding the power button just brings up siri

well why not posted:

clicking the power button started a siren and a call to emergency

I’m at work ffs lol

you can set it so it doesn't do this automatically

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

you do on a faceid phone. just holding the power button just brings up siri

you can set it so it doesn't do this automatically

ah my so has the siri cue disabled so i didn’t realize, cheers

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

ngl those new over ear headphones look cool

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007
what hilariously expensive accessories does it have?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

charging case that looks like a over the shoulder boulder holster

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007
was hoping for something in gold. oh well.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Shaggar posted:

basically if a headset doesnt come with its own proprietary dongle its going to be garbage
shaggar you've been here since the RSF days. how do you maintain the stamina to continue solely poo poo posting 24/7 for twelve years

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
its hard work, but someone's gotta do it

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

Shaggar posted:

its hard work, but someone's gotta do it

pre:
       .---.
  ___ /_____\
 /\.-`( '.' )