Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

I'm glad that your job and home life allows you so much time to lovingly make every single meal that you eat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

There are thousands of meals that take only thirty minutes or less to make, and as your skills increase so to does your ability to experiment and create new and wonderful dishes to share with your family. may I suggest meal planning if your finding yourself so time constrained.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

Lol you are so loving privileged

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
presumably you would accede to the concept that without industrialized food production, we would all routinely starve; so i dont think theres any shame in industrialized food processing in addition to the production, its easier to make a profit up the value chain

cooking has a weird relation with privilege, where its non-plutocrat rich and upper middle class bougies and the desperately poor who really know home cooking, one from time and luxury and the other from even more time and privation. its the middle class, lower middle, upper middle, middle middle, who eat frozen dinners. the actually actually rich in turn have people for that so they revert to ignorance

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Dec 10, 2020

downout
Jul 6, 2009

I'm probably years late on this but their frozen chicken breasts are poo poo. Full of frozen cartilage and other stuff. Maybe they're all like that, but holy poo poo I expected more.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
woody breast is a stupid and now omnipresent industry problem. if they gave one poo poo about birds which were not abominations that were actually good to eat they wouldnt have had this problem

they make chickens in assembly lines in korea the same as in america, but you can actually fuckin eat the chickens in korea

Derpies
Mar 11, 2014

by sebmojo
Gonna have to peruse the ol Costco for some Xmas gifts soon

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Gaius Marius posted:

There are thousands of meals that take only thirty minutes or less to make, and as your skills increase so to does your ability to experiment and create new and wonderful dishes to share with your family. may I suggest meal planning if your finding yourself so time constrained.

how about a knuckle sandwich and a swirlie to wash it down with?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

I work at costco bro, I'm not the one percent

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

The spinach chicken ravioli was mega doo doo, extremely salty.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation
Oof.

Anyways, Costco had cheap bottles of Sazerac Rye for like 3 days and haven't had em since.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug
I learned to do basic cooking because I was poor and got into cooking as a hobby later on because it was rewarding but no Costco frozen dinners and entrees are not budget friendly and it’s weird to give that as an excuse to anything other than “why middle class Americans are fat”

There are high calorie cheap foods like ramen, I’m not gonna pretend that doesn’t exist in the store but the naan and such people mention in this thread is not it and the whole joke about spending 200 every time you come to buy a pack of paper towels really drives that home. We’ve all seen the cart pictures itt and they’re not “poverty staples” they’re “too busy posting on SA to cook a dinner staples”.

Even for “cheap” stuff Costco has gone further into the organic/quality over quantity zone, Other than dairy I can’t think of anything I’d find there I can’t find cheaper regularly. Their onions/potatoes/carrots are more expensive than anywhere I shop for example and their canned/dry food tends to be pricier per pound despite the volume.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Not That Into You posted:

Same exact plan, but with the maine lobster rav's I found last week at my church. Awesome quick lux meal.

ohhh I always wanted to try that but my wife doesn't like seafood

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

downout posted:

I'm probably years late on this but their frozen chicken breasts are poo poo. Full of frozen cartilage and other stuff. Maybe they're all like that, but holy poo poo I expected more.

I don't remember what we carry for chicken, but I almost never use breast's anymore, gotta hope on the Thigh train. Cheaper and they've got enough fat to make them edible even if they were raised in a cage.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

ArbitraryC posted:

I learned to do basic cooking because I was poor and got into cooking as a hobby later on because it was rewarding

the beauty thing is that beyond some techniques that beginners might not know until they hear about it or see a cooking video or whatever, a lot of the skill in cooking is learning to use spices well.

also, quality of spices matter. I know it's the costco thread and all but specialty spice stores are great, there are sites like Spice Trekkers and Burlap And Barrel that are really game changers in terms of variety and quality of spice vs the spice rack at Target.

I have a book on flavor theory (how to pair different types of flavors) that I really need to get around to reading, it's actually from spice trekkers too.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

El Jebus posted:

Oof.

Anyways, Costco had cheap bottles of Sazerac Rye for like 3 days and haven't had em since.

I bought them. I just finished the last one.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

pentyne posted:

If you got that same age +sherry finish from Glenmorangie it'd be like $65 a bottle.

Probably closer to $200 for a 22 year single malt. I picked up a bottle of that from a Costco a few months ago, and it was $80.

Their blended scotch in the huge jug is surprisingly good, especially for $18. Same with the anejo tequila and their grey goose knock-off vodka.

But that spiced rum is pretty bad, I'd much rather have Sailor Jerry/Kraken/Captain at that price point.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

Ultimate Mango posted:

I bought them. I just finished the last one.

Jokes on you, premade booze is a waste of money.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

CitizenKain posted:

Probably closer to $200 for a 22 year single malt. I picked up a bottle of that from a Costco a few months ago, and it was $80.

Their blended scotch in the huge jug is surprisingly good, especially for $18. Same with the anejo tequila and their grey goose knock-off vodka.

But that spiced rum is pretty bad, I'd much rather have Sailor Jerry/Kraken/Captain at that price point.

The Kirkland Añejo is a solid buy, I'd recommend it in a heartbeat. Haven't tried the Kirkland Spiced Rum, but it's rare that I drink spiced rum at all anyway.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Paul MaudDib posted:

the beauty thing is that beyond some techniques that beginners might not know until they hear about it or see a cooking video or whatever, a lot of the skill in cooking is learning to use spices well.

also, quality of spices matter. I know it's the costco thread and all but specialty spice stores are great, there are sites like Spice Trekkers and Burlap And Barrel that are really game changers in terms of variety and quality of spice vs the spice rack at Target.

I have a book on flavor theory (how to pair different types of flavors) that I really need to get around to reading, it's actually from spice trekkers too.

the most important flavorant is salt. the second most is acid. then the spices and poo poo

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

El Jebus posted:

Jokes on you, premade booze is a waste of money.

Am I supposed to buy 50# sacks of nearly spoiled fruit to make prison hooch and distill it into hard alcohol?

Or do I have to plant a victory garden in my 100 sq ft patio so grow enough to both eat and brew into plump helmet wine?

Those costco premade pastas are good. Frozen tempura shrimp are good. Those big U15 uncooked peel and eat shrimp are good. That fig and apple salad was good for an easy meal after a 12 hour working plebe day. Cooking is cool and good too, its all good.

Costco has done a lot of the feeding for my bubble this year.

PBUC

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

It's pretty bad, the non grey goose kirkland vodka is fine if your just mixing it with something to get hosed up. Keep in mind the bottles are a hell of a lot bigger once you get them home and put them on your liquor cabinet.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Also cooking loving sucks. I consider myself to be a pretty good home cook but I loving hate it.

We don't have enough family time as it is, I'm not wasting an entire weekend day in the kitchen making ravioli by hand. (Which I did once, and it was a huge tedious unrewarding pain in the rear end that I will no doubt do again at some point because it's a huge crowd pleaser)

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

wrt this premade food debate I think I can cut to the chase: Gaius is implying that Costco sells things that are a waste of money, therefore he should be banned

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
you do it with the family and thats your bonding time. unfortunately requires video games and tv to not exist

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

ArbitraryC posted:

I learned to do basic cooking because I was poor and got into cooking as a hobby later on because it was rewarding but no Costco frozen dinners and entrees are not budget friendly and it’s weird to give that as an excuse to anything other than “why middle class Americans are fat”

I'm not really specifically referring to stuff at Costco. More about the idea that all premade food is a waste of money. I had a close friend growing up whose mom basically never had time to spend with him and his brothers because of all the hours and multiple jobs she worked. She of course would try to make stuff for them when she could, but frequently could not. Time has value. Would you spend that time (which is apparently easily found) cooking or helping your kids with their homework before having to go back to work? I understand that their situation is not representative of everyone or even a significant number of people. But saying that a person is wasting money because they choose to value their time differently is stupid.

I'm glad that you made it through your tough times though :)

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread
I apologize if this has been covered already but without doubt way way better than anything even in the food court or the hot dogs that you all worship the best deal at Costco is the ginormous pumpkin pie that is six bucks.
I am getting three tomorrow and did you know that you can slice it up and put pieces in the freezer and pull them out and leave them on the counter for a couple hours and they're still wonderful!!!!!

They don't get like watery or separate or weird or anything.
God drat is that pie good I eat it with plain Greek yogurt

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

They keep em in the freezer round this time when they are getting a ton of orders for them. You can see flat beds full of em if you guys look hard enough.

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Gaius Marius posted:

They keep em in the freezer round this time when they are getting a ton of orders for them. You can see flat beds full of em if you guys look hard enough.

Quick question for you thank you

in about 6 months I'll be trying to get a job doing pretty much anything at my local Costco I don't have any connections or know anyone do you have any tips or advice

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

What position? If you don't have any particular skills your going to food court or front end most likely. Depending on how busy your store is you might end up doing grunt work for quite a bit. That's okay. Don't miss a day, don't be late, and don't be a total dick and you'll make it past the probationary period easy. After that you can start really networking and looking at any other places to move to in the break room. Keep in mind you may not get full time hours right away depending on your position, but at least at my store if your willing to work different depts and go that extra mile you should have no trouble keeping more than 35 hours a week. For the interview mention that the customer service is wonderful, you would like to grow with the company. Assuming they aren't hiring you seasonal. After that just be able to pass a drug test. They will test you day of. Your probably gonna be doing one interview and then two more in succession, each with a higher ranking member of management. The last one will be with either a GM or an AGM. Show them at least a little deffrence. Shake their hand and make sure y'know their name.

It's not nearly as hard to get a job here as people think, but a lot of people wash out when they realize they're gonna be cashier assisting or pushing carts all day. Just keep grinding and you'll end up in a good position. The pay is good, the befits great, and you don't really even have to try and move into management if you don't wanna the people topped out are making enough between the pay and vacation and sick time that it's possible to live comfortably only running a register or making food in deli. Also it might not pertain to you but you get a discount on costco stock. I've made almost as much as my paycheck just on gains from my stock I've bought. Don't forget to use your vision and free money for glasses if you need them. And try to work as much as you can even if you don't wanna. The raises are (almost) purely based on hours worked. Every thousand hours is an extra dollar so working an extra five hours a week really adds up. Don't be late though. Punch in more than 3 minutes late and it's a strike. Three strikes and you get written up, you don't want that during your probation. And you get written up enough your straight fired.

Good luck. It's really not that hard of a job, although you will never wanna shop at Costco again.

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

Okay thanks. I'll just see if I get lucky enough to get hired.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Spinz posted:

Okay thanks. I'll just see if I get lucky enough to get hired.

If your willing to do anything, aren't a total of idiot in the interview, and can pass a drug test then you'll get the job. It's not nearly as hard to get a job here as people think.

fischtick
Jul 9, 2001

CORGO, THE DESTROYER

Fun Shoe
The major poo poo thing about prepared foods is the absolutely incredible amounts of sodium in them. It's bad. That said, I like taquitos and gently caress if I'm gonna make 'em and freeze 'em beforehand.

Cooked my $8, 14lb. fresh Costco turkey yesterday and it turned out fantastic. Fed 3 of us yesterday for dinner, and again tonight, and I'm already eyeing up the bits I'm putting on my sammich for lunch tomorrow. Whatever else left over will probably become enchiladas.

Picked up a big box of Morning Summit cereal and it's been a huge hit. As the box says, the first ingredient is almonds! It's like a bowl of Kirkland trail mix with some really substantial flakes... and milk. It's also pushing 350 calories a serving (roughly twice the calories of Honey Nut Cheerios), great if you're gonna run the Iditarod, but maybe not so great for lying on the couch playing Among Us for hours on end, so be careful, goons.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

ArbitraryC posted:

There are high calorie cheap foods like ramen, I’m not gonna pretend that doesn’t exist in the store but the naan and such people mention in this thread is not it and the whole joke about spending 200 every time you come to buy a pack of paper towels really drives that home. We’ve all seen the cart pictures itt and they’re not “poverty staples” they’re “too busy posting on SA to cook a dinner staples”.

Even for “cheap” stuff Costco has gone further into the organic/quality over quantity zone, Other than dairy I can’t think of anything I’d find there I can’t find cheaper regularly. Their onions/potatoes/carrots are more expensive than anywhere I shop for example and their canned/dry food tends to be pricier per pound despite the volume.

Their organic brown rice, cans of stuff, and high quality peanut butter as well as cheese prices are almost always best in class price

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Costco isn’t really for poor people, they charge a membership like a country club.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

fischtick posted:

The major poo poo thing about prepared foods is the absolutely incredible amounts of sodium in them. It's bad. That said, I like taquitos and gently caress if I'm gonna make 'em and freeze 'em beforehand.

Yeah that’s always what I have to watch out for. Some of are utterly ludicrous. I just want to be lazy from time to time without killing myself in the process! :(

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Gaius Marius posted:

lmao homemade pasta can take hours.

ixo
Sep 8, 2004

m'bloaty

Fun Shoe
I am an egglord and this is big news in my fiefdom. costco gonna start they own egg farm.

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/costco-making-major-change-egg-120913885.html

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Well yes, Costco is a members only club sir, don’t you forget that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Gaius Marius posted:

Rice takes maybe 2-3 minutes to add into a rice cooker, if you don't eat rice every meal you deserve to be poor.