Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice
I think you could also have the other devices connect to the wireguard host with their own client IPs, so then they would be directly accessible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

Renegret posted:

Router, yes. I bought an Archer A9 from this thread's recommendation about a year ago and the performance improvement was significant.

Modem, only if you want to put in the effort to avoid rental fees but getting your own shouldn't make a performance impact. So if you know jack poo poo about networking, I'd say don't bother, it's one less piece of equipment you're responsible for.

What speed do you pay for? Wireless will always be slower than a wired connection but what you have is pretty awful. If spectrum gave you a combo unit (modem + router in one device), all you really have to do outside of following the directions on the router's packaging is enable bridging mode on it. If they gave you a smart router, you can just unhook their router and stick it in a box to return to them in a few years when you remember to get around to it. There's also some troubleshooting steps you can do with spectrum's router that they provided to you. I'm not so great with the wireless part, but in my experience any kind of tweaking you can do is only going to result in tiny improvements compared to putting the money down for a good router.

This is amazing! Thanks! Is an Archer A9 still what I should be shooting for? I didn’t know if I needed a repeater/bridge or something like that ? Or am I reading that that is a bridge? I have a combo unit. It looks to be a Ubee DDW365?

I will also cal Spectrum and see if there are any trouble shooting things I can do on my end.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Snowmankilla posted:

This is amazing! Thanks! Is an Archer A9 still what I should be shooting for? I didn’t know if I needed a repeater/bridge or something like that ? Or am I reading that that is a bridge? I have a combo unit. It looks to be a Ubee DDW365?

I will also cal Spectrum and see if there are any trouble shooting things I can do on my end.

Once you've purchased your own router you'll want to switch your Spectrum combo unit out for one that's just a modem.

Conveniently, Spectrum leases modem-only units for free, as opposed to the $5/mo they usually charge for the ones with wifi.

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

astral posted:

Once you've purchased your own router you'll want to switch your Spectrum combo unit out for one that's just a modem.

Conveniently, Spectrum leases modem-only units for free, as opposed to the $5/mo they usually charge for the ones with wifi.

So I need to order a archer, then ask spectrum for a new modem?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

withoutclass posted:

I think you could also have the other devices connect to the wireguard host with their own client IPs, so then they would be directly accessible.

Turned out just listing 192.168.0.0/24 as an allowed IP did it. Can anyone suggest a primer or manual on how these IP address wildcard things work?

I think /8 and /24 correspond to some kind of subnet mask (255.255.0.0 and 255.255.255.0 respectively?) but I just don’t really understand the differences or implications of one vs the other.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
That’s okay, neither do a lot of people in IT who should!

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice

tuyop posted:

Turned out just listing 192.168.0.0/24 as an allowed IP did it.

Well that's quite a bit easier and good to know.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

tuyop posted:

Turned out just listing 192.168.0.0/24 as an allowed IP did it. Can anyone suggest a primer or manual on how these IP address wildcard things work?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Classless_Inter-Domain_Routing

CIDR is fun, and as devmd01 says, something a lot of people struggle to wrap their heads around, despite it being pretty core to a lot of common network functionality.

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

Quick update, on the phone with Spectrum, found out that I am paying over $100 a month for 30 mbps. So I am changing that up to 400 mbps and my bill is going down. So that is good. Told the sales people that I only want a modem, not a router combo.

Tech guy said I should look at a mesh router. Would that be better than an Archer A9?

Snowmankilla fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Dec 8, 2020

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Snowmankilla posted:

So I need to order a archer, then ask spectrum for a new modem?

The combo units act as a modem and router at the same time.

It's A Bad Thing to have two routers on a network (unless you know what you're doing) which is why you need to do something about your existing router. Bridging mode is just a fancy way of saying, turning off the router part of the combo unit and making it act like modem only. The last time I called spectrum for help was like 8 years ago and they did it for me over the phone in about a minute. Returning the unit to spectrum wasn't necessary but I dunno if anything changed over the past few years.

tuyop posted:

I think /8 and /24 correspond to some kind of subnet mask (255.255.0.0 and 255.255.255.0 respectively?) but I just don’t really understand the differences or implications of one vs the other.

/8 is 255.0.0.0
/16 is 255.255.0.0

But otherwise yeah nobody exists in this world who just doesn't just a loving subnet calculator instead outside of certification exams.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
I don't know poo poo about mesh routers because I'm mentally stuck in the 2010s and also I've always balked at their price.

I will say though, I live in a fairly large house, my router is in terrible location, and I only have connection problems in the far corner of the garage. I'd rather have one strong unit then having a bunch of repeaters everywhere. But again, suck in 2010.

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

Renegret posted:

The combo units act as a modem and router at the same time.

It's A Bad Thing to have two routers on a network (unless you know what you're doing) which is why you need to do something about your existing router. Bridging mode is just a fancy way of saying, turning off the router part of the combo unit and making it act like modem only. The last time I called spectrum for help was like 8 years ago and they did it for me over the phone in about a minute. Returning the unit to spectrum wasn't necessary but I dunno if anything changed over the past few years.

But otherwise yeah nobody exists in this world who just doesn't just a loving subnet calculator instead outside of certification exams.

Awesome. Well a new Modem is on its way, and now I am just picking out a router/mesh set, because I do not know what I am doing.

Spectrum laughed at me about how old my equipment was, how slow my speeds were, and how much I was paying. Overall I am saving 50 bucks a month to increase my speed from 20 (only getting 5), to 400. So any equipment cost seems like a good deal at this point.

Thanks again for all the help.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Dunno why but the Mikrotik HAP AC2 is freakin awesome for 69 bux. Put that thing in a network and forget about it. Rock solid.

thiazi
Sep 27, 2002

Snowmankilla posted:

Awesome. Well a new Modem is on its way, and now I am just picking out a router/mesh set, because I do not know what I am doing.

Spectrum laughed at me about how old my equipment was, how slow my speeds were, and how much I was paying. Overall I am saving 50 bucks a month to increase my speed from 20 (only getting 5), to 400. So any equipment cost seems like a good deal at this point.

Thanks again for all the help.

It really depends on your space. For many situations, a single modern router will be plenty, but if you have a large space or dead zones, then you could potentially benefit from a mesh system. Might be worth starting with the A9 and your new modem/service, and if that isn't cutting it then return the A9 and look at mesh systems. They all work reasonably well, but go for less complexity if you can.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice
Got a Flex mini for my entertainment center and a Switch Lite PoE today. Removed the two power injectors for a couple APs and an older netgear 5 port dumb switch. I gotta say the network seems noticeably quicker over WiFi and I'm wondering if my netgear was showing its age or of the power injectors were introducing some latency.

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

put your money in a log cabin

Buglord

withoutclass posted:

Got a Flex mini for my entertainment center and a Switch Lite PoE today. Removed the two power injectors for a couple APs and an older netgear 5 port dumb switch. I gotta say the network seems noticeably quicker over WiFi and I'm wondering if my netgear was showing its age or of the power injectors were introducing some latency.

It's possible that your injectors were only running at 100mbit, it's not something immediately obvious to check unless you're doing speedtests/etc.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

I have a ~$100 router from 2013 on one end of my house and after going through walls, TVs, a washer, and g-g-g-ghosts* the wifi gets a bit slow and spotty at the other end (the house isn't that big). If I wanted to blow around $100 today to replace the router what is the modern good solution? The Ubiquiti stuff I see tossed around seems like overkill for me, but consumer(?) level products have a lot of features and words that I kinda understand but am unsure of importance (e.g. tri-band vs WPA3).

I also have a network cable running underneath the house that connects the router to the distant room via a cheap switch on the receiving end which goes to the Roku etc. Mesh systems seem pricey and somewhat compromised on options at the hub, but I've had middling success with a wifi extender, even one with a hardline connection, and want something better. Is there a good wifi extender+switch designed around this purpose, or am I describing buying a cheaper router and just using that in bridge mode?

*one of my cats will sometimes climb up the wall of a centrally located room corner, presumably receiving instructions from my wife's favorite, expired cat.

Zachack fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Dec 10, 2020

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

What is the router you have?

For $100 I got two of the T-Mobile/Asus routers, flashed to stock firmware and set up AiMesh. The latest firmware adds Ethernet backhaul mode.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

ASUS RT-N66W

If the wifi is fine though then I won't bother trying to extend it, I'll just stick with the improvements.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Moving to a new rental next week and apparently they have FiOS which would be a first for me. I've been on cable for the last decade for lack of other option.

I'm looking at the gigabit plan, which supposedly comes with free router rental. Their website also has a lot of bigass warnings about using anything other than 2 of their branded routers. I don't like the thought of having Verizon having their fingers in my home network, though.

So, I guess:

1. Do I need to use one of their branded routers?
  2. If so, is there a difference in control between renting and buying?
  3. If buying is recommended, is there anywhere with better deals that's reputable?
  4. It's not an especially large condo and I'll be running ethernet to my home office, so is the Wi-Fi on their branded stuff any good?
  5. Any other important gotchas to look out for?

Turnquiet
Oct 24, 2002

My friend is an eloquent speaker.

I love/hate unifi gear. I have a UDMPro set to not update device firmware at both the device level and the site level, and to my surprise I got the v 6.0.x controller when I went to poke around today. It didn't wreck anything for me, but jesus I would never use this in a critical environment based on my over-the-top home network experience.

Still fun as hell to tinker with though, oddly enough.

Turnquiet
Oct 24, 2002

My friend is an eloquent speaker.

Toshimo posted:

Moving to a new rental next week and apparently they have FiOS which would be a first for me. I've been on cable for the last decade for lack of other option.

I'm looking at the gigabit plan, which supposedly comes with free router rental. Their website also has a lot of bigass warnings about using anything other than 2 of their branded routers. I don't like the thought of having Verizon having their fingers in my home network, though.

So, I guess:

1. Do I need to use one of their branded routers?
  2. If so, is there a difference in control between renting and buying?
  3. If buying is recommended, is there anywhere with better deals that's reputable?
  4. It's not an especially large condo and I'll be running ethernet to my home office, so is the Wi-Fi on their branded stuff any good?
  5. Any other important gotchas to look out for?

1- No, you can ask them to run ethernet from the ONT to your own router. Since its an apartment you may have issues with them not wanting to do that, and if you are forced to do coax you may be stuck.
2- no, the router is the same
3- Ebay/Facebook marketplace. They are everywhere. I ended up w/ a spare of their gigabit class router, and I am sure countless others have as well
4- Unsure, never used it
5- you will never get a better deal then when you are a new customer so this is your time to get gigabit for like 70 bucks.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

Is it safe to upgrade to unifi controller 6.0 yet?

movax
Aug 30, 2008

SlapActionJackson posted:

Best I can tell... still nope.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

movax posted:

Best I can tell... still nope.

Would it kill you folks who post "ubiquiti bad" to actually explain what you're talking about once in a while? I honestly have no idea what these posts are referring to or whether there's something that I, as a user of the Unifi controller, should be concerned about.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

Not "ubiquiti bad", just "ubiquiti software QC bad"

They released a new major rev of the controller software (6.0) this fall that did not have feature parity with 5.14 and broke a whooooooooooooooole bunch of stuff in certain network configs. They cranked out a bunch of patches to try and address the worst of the deficiencies, but the general attitude was that it was best to stay on 5.14 until 6.0 stabilized. I'm asking around here to see if other guinea pigs unifi users think the time has come.

If you're still on 5.14, you should stay there until you're sure 6.0 won't break you.

thiazi
Sep 27, 2002

Not "ubiquiti bad", just "ubiquiti software QC bad"

They released a new major rev of the controller software (6.0) this fall that did not have feature parity with 5.14 and broke a whooooooooooooooole bunch of stuff in certain network configs. They cranked out a bunch of patches to try and address the worst of the deficiencies, but the general attitude was that it was best to stay on 5.14 until 6.0 stabilized. I'm asking around here to see if other guinea pigs unifi users think the time has come.

If you're still on 5.14, you should stay there until you're sure 6.0 won't break you.

Sample size of one, but I upgraded yesterday with no problems. I only run two APs with limited complexity, though - not using the full Unifi stack.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

I'm asking around here to see if other guinea pigs unifi users think the time has come.

I just went and looked, and I have apparently been running controller version 6 for some time now without any problems. I am probably not the best person to say whether that means it's robust: my controller just manages basic wifi settings for a single Unifi AP, no routing or packet inspection or anything like that.

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

put your money in a log cabin

Buglord
I haven't had any issues. I actually had a big old whoopsie-daisy in my lab that resulted in me losing (among other things) my controller VM, so I rebuilt it using the Docker image instead which pulls the latest stable image. I restored an ancient backup file and it kept on trucking like nothing happened.

So basically just make sure you're taking backups like you're supposed to and go hog wild.

smax
Nov 9, 2009

I’ve been running the 6.0.x branch for a while on two controllers without issue. I’m not confident enough to say it’s definitely good to go, but I think it’s probably fine.

Boner Wad
Nov 16, 2003
I have been running 6.0 for awhile and I have not had any problems.

I think some people could have more complex network set ups than I do and maybe UI didn’t QC software completely with their special snowflake set ups. I have a bunch of SSIDs, VLANs, guest network, multiple flavors of APs and switches, and the old 3P USG and they seem to function.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I got my Zenwifi AX earlier this week. It was super easy to set up and configure. It took me no more than 20 minutes from opening the box to having two new networks (2.4 and 5 GHz) that chump any previous wifi I've ever experienced. These routers are a god send.

All the nice QoL features that come with these things are great. I'm in love. They were worth every penny I spent on them.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Wildtortilla posted:

I got my Zenwifi AX earlier this week. It was super easy to set up and configure. It took me no more than 20 minutes from opening the box to having two new networks (2.4 and 5 GHz) that chump any previous wifi I've ever experienced. These routers are a god send.

All the nice QoL features that come with these things are great. I'm in love. They were worth every penny I spent on them.

I got mine a couple weeks ago and was just thinking about sharing my thoughts on it

I accidentally locked myself out of local access by turning on SSL without having a certificate (lol) and had a hell of a time getting my node to reconnect after resetting everything (it kept doing some kind of error sequence and auto-rebooting even after a factory reset), but aside from that it's been running flawlessly. I've had none of the connection dropping issues or weird compatibility problems that I did with my ER-X and Unifi AP setup.

I'm really impressed with how well all my devices are dealing with the two nodes. There is nothing out of place.

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.
I bought a house and I want to install a robust wired network setup while it's being renovated. Are there any blatant faults in my following design? I'm not sure running cables through the walls is possible so I'm a bit worried of how thick the bundle of 5 CAT6 would be if I have to run it through the floor.

EDIT: The second floor 'living room' is actually the bedroom.

Fragrag fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Dec 13, 2020

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
Maybe a wired outlet in living room - TVs, streaming, consoles, all massive high bandwidth hogs

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Fragrag posted:

I bought a house and I want to install a robust wired network setup while it's being renovated. Are there any blatant faults in my following design? I'm not sure running cables through the walls is possible so I'm a bit worried of how thick the bundle of 5 CAT6 would be if I have to run it through the floor.

What’s with the outlet in the attic?

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Renovation sounds like a great time to think about running cable drops to every single room. Even if you end up not doing that, it's still worth considering.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Lutha Mahtin posted:

Renovation sounds like a great time to think about running cable drops to every single room. Even if you end up not doing that, it's still worth considering.

Good selling point for when you sell too

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.

Biowarfare posted:

Maybe a wired outlet in living room - TVs, streaming, consoles, all massive high bandwidth hogs

I brainfarted. The second floor living room is actually the bedroom.

tuyop posted:

What’s with the outlet in the attic?

It's a pretty large attic. Right now we don't have any plans for using it aside possibly room-scale VR tests for my job, but further down the line when we have children we might convert the space into a room or two.

Also thinking of installing a patch panel rather than a bunch of wall plugs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samadhi
May 13, 2001

Fallom posted:

I got mine a couple weeks ago and was just thinking about sharing my thoughts on it

I accidentally locked myself out of local access by turning on SSL without having a certificate (lol) and had a hell of a time getting my node to reconnect after resetting everything (it kept doing some kind of error sequence and auto-rebooting even after a factory reset), but aside from that it's been running flawlessly. I've had none of the connection dropping issues or weird compatibility problems that I did with my ER-X and Unifi AP setup.

I'm really impressed with how well all my devices are dealing with the two nodes. There is nothing out of place.

Does anyone have any experience with the Asus ZenWifi AX's when used with only one base? My house is ~2500 square feet but and I have a total of ~10 devices on all three levels. I don't think I need two stations, and I'm trying to decide between the the Asus and a TP-Link WiFi 6 AX3000/Archer AX50, or maybe the Archer AX6000.