Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

A new game called Monster Sanctuary just got added to Game Pass and it seems extremely awesome. It's like... Pokemon mashed up with an RPG-platformer where you explore quaint 2D areas, enter turn-based fights by making contact with enemy sprites (i.e. no random battles), collect all the types of monsters, and customize them with skill trees and equipment and other upgrade items. Your squad fights in groups of 3 and a lot of them seem to have pretty in-depth skill synergies and meaningful different directions to take their builds in and stuff. Also every monster you collect has some ability that can be used while exploring the world, letting you break open hidden walls, activate switches, hover a little bit, that kinda stuff.

I have no idea how well it all holds up as you get deeper, cause sometimes "complex skill trees" and stuff are too hard to balance and everything falls apart, but it hooked me instantly.

At the very least, it's hitting the sweet spot for me of nailing what I like about Pokemon without all the stuff that makes me end up hating actual Pokemon games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

so did microsoft finally build the better console

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

No

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

They're the same thing.

Crafty
Dec 9, 2003

I CAN'T SEE SHIT.

xbox one is the best

Wheeee posted:

so did microsoft finally build the better console

That already happened with the pro vs one x, you’re behind the times son.

John F Bennett posted:

Western Europe, I even opened servers from the entire planet but alas. Funny thing is, 4v4 finds a match in seconds.
Start the searching process and give it 4 minutes, I’m certain you’ll find a game in that time. We’re in the same region. The first one sometimes takes a while but once you’re in the mix many of those playing will carry to next game and it goes a lot quicker/instant.

Have to exercise some patience.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

Akuma posted:

When I finally got a HDR display I was so excited to see what I'd been missing, but all I played at the time was Destiny so I excitedly turned that on and it looked like absolute poo poo and I assumed I just had a bad display for months after.

No, Destiny's HDR just sucks poo poo apparently.

I’ll be honest I haven’t been impressed with HDR at all on my LG CX. I thought FH4 was supposed to be a good example, but I’m not really seeing it. I’ve got everything set up correctly.

Is there a standout game for this?

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Elder scrolls online believe it or not

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

Crafty posted:

Start the searching process and give it 4 minutes, I’m certain you’ll find a game in that time. We’re in the same region. The first one sometimes takes a while but once you’re in the mix many of those playing will carry to next game and it goes a lot quicker/instant.

Have to exercise some patience.

4 minutes, I wish! Yesterday evening prime time I waited for 14 minutes before I called it quits.

mem
Sep 1, 2005

Fly Ricky posted:

I’ll be honest I haven’t been impressed with HDR at all on my LG CX. I thought FH4 was supposed to be a good example, but I’m not really seeing it. I’ve got everything set up correctly.

Gears 5 hdr looked pretty dope on my C8.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
I don’t think I can brave The Elder Scrolls, but I’ll give Gears 5 a shot. Didn’t finish it anyway.

Thanks you both.

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!

Fly Ricky posted:

Have you set the HDR slider values in the game itself?

I dunno FH4 looks pretty great on my C9. The colors in general are more vibrant, around the festival the neon stuff has a bit of a 'glow' to it, and at nighttime in particular the headlights and taillights really stand-out, distant lights in villages are bright pinpricks on the screen.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

Red Warrior posted:

Have you set the HDR slider values in the game itself?

I’m an idiot who didn’t even realize they had those in-game. Wow, thanks.

edit: that made a massive difference.

Fly Ricky fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Dec 10, 2020

Crafty
Dec 9, 2003

I CAN'T SEE SHIT.

xbox one is the best
Personally I don’t believe in HDR. It’s just a term made up by marketing people to sell more TVs.

John F Bennett posted:

4 minutes, I wish! Yesterday evening prime time I waited for 14 minutes before I called it quits.

I’m going to test this tonight. Have you been using rude words on mic? Maybe you are banned

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

Haha! No, I don't use mic.

I did however turn off crossplay so no pc players allowed.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot

bradzilla posted:

What are you (and all your definitely real friends with the same problem) doing to your controller's charging port this has never been a problem reported anywhere lmao

I stick it in my butt and then my friends have to try to plug in the USB cable blindfolded. so normal wear and tear mostly

Crafty
Dec 9, 2003

I CAN'T SEE SHIT.

xbox one is the best

barnold posted:

I stick it in my butt and then my friends have to try to plug in the USB cable blindfolded. so normal wear and tear mostly

Pin the tail on the gamer, a party favourite. Gives new meaning to the DS4 battery being completely lovely.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

wrong thread

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Crafty posted:

Personally I don’t believe in HDR. It’s just a term made up by marketing people to sell more TVs.

No it isn’t.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Seeing the huge success and popularity of Cyberpunk 2077 makes me wonder how Square currently feels about screwing over Eidos Montreal and Deus Ex? Hopefully they get to go back to the IP sometime soon given that people very clearly desire these type of games. Cyberpunk is obviously much larger in scope and the big difference is everything that comes with being open world but the core gameplay (vehicles aside) seems very similar to Deus Ex.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

He's not being serious

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

SUNKOS posted:

Seeing the huge success and popularity of Cyberpunk 2077 makes me wonder how Square currently feels about screwing over Eidos Montreal and Deus Ex? Hopefully they get to go back to the IP sometime soon given that people very clearly desire these type of games. Cyberpunk is obviously much larger in scope and the big difference is everything that comes with being open world but the core gameplay (vehicles aside) seems very similar to Deus Ex.

Square almost seems to very blatantly use its western devs as some kind of tax scheme to lose money on purpose
A new successor from a new company is better than trying to hope another de reboot would be as good as the last and treated properly by the execs to flourish this time

Crafty
Dec 9, 2003

I CAN'T SEE SHIT.

xbox one is the best

John F Bennett posted:

I did however turn off crossplay so no pc players allowed.

I’ve just spent 15 minutes trying to find an 8v8 game, any game. Maybe everyone is cyberpunking, but there’s not one going on at the moment. I definitely played a load this weekend, and I can usually find a game at peak time for east US (-5 for me in U.K.). Guess you were right!

I hope the delay to infinite means they completely scrap the Xbox one version, so it actually looks nice. Reckon there’s a decent chance they will do that now.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

Crafty posted:

I’ve just spent 15 minutes trying to find an 8v8 game, any game. Maybe everyone is cyberpunking, but there’s not one going on at the moment. I definitely played a load this weekend, and I can usually find a game at peak time for east US (-5 for me in U.K.). Guess you were right!

I hope the delay to infinite means they completely scrap the Xbox one version, so it actually looks nice. Reckon there’s a decent chance they will do that now.

Super funny because I literally just now found my first BTB game, and it only took about 3 minutes! : D

John F Bennett fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Dec 10, 2020

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

The whole project was designed as an xbox 1 game the inertia is too great.
They'll just have to pretty up what they got for 9th gen and jump into their 10 year plan

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

BonoMan posted:

He's not being serious

There is actually a set of people who say that because HDR cannot replicate the brightness of the sun, then it's not legitimate. I'm not saying they're sane people, but the person I heard bring this up is an industry guy and he's probably not the only one who thinks it.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

lol I turn down the max brightness anyway, sooner or later you'll see hosed up untested content that puts white points on screen for longer and that just hurts to look at

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Ruffian Price posted:

lol I turn down the max brightness anyway, sooner or later you'll see hosed up untested content that puts white points on screen for longer and that just hurts to look at

All the Souls games have a pure white splash screen for Bandai that's absolutely eye-searing in anything but the brightest of rooms. It's so loving obnoxious and I don't understand why they don't just use a black background like every other splash screen in the games.

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

I think i just hosed up my brand new Series S. Went to install dev mode and didn't realize there were 2 listings, one for series s/x and one for xbox one. I installed the xbox one version by accident and no matter what I do, even deactivating it and adding it with the right program, doing q factory reset, dev mode does not work. My screen gets all hosed up.

HELP.

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D. fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Dec 10, 2020

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Lol. Sorry, but those images made me laugh.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Blue Footed Booby posted:

All the Souls games have a pure white splash screen for Bandai that's absolutely eye-searing

Pretty apt tbh

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

Im pretty sure the 2 lines means you're pregnant.

Crafty
Dec 9, 2003

I CAN'T SEE SHIT.

xbox one is the best

Real hurthling! posted:

The whole project was designed as an xbox 1 game the inertia is too great.
They'll just have to pretty up what they got for 9th gen and jump into their 10 year plan

I think the year delay is them having a huge reassessment of the project, and I’m just hopeful that means switching the lead platform. It makes sense though doesn’t it? Your biggest franchise launching a year after your new console, and you develop it for the old console? It wouldn’t be the dumbest thing the Xbox team have done, but it would be up there with the naming convention.

They’ll be ‘new gen exclusive’ games coming out around next fall too I imagine, so it won’t be strange. If it’s good it could even be a system seller, but maybe I’m getting carried away.

Either that or I hope they do a titanfall type situation where they just hand off the last gen port to another developer (bluepoint would be perfect!).

I mean I made this all up in my mind but it sounds realistic I think maybe

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Crafty posted:

Your biggest franchise launching a year after your new console, and you develop it for the old console?

Sony are putting the next Horizon on PS4 as well

Crafty
Dec 9, 2003

I CAN'T SEE SHIT.

xbox one is the best

I don’t know what’s wrong but your HDR is definitely working

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

WD: Legion installed a 3GB update. Is this the one? Can we save now?

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
They've already done five years or so of development with an Xbox One version as a target, they're not scrapping that version and even if they did, you wouldn't see significant changes elsewhere short of the whole project starting over.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Lammasu posted:

Just checked it. It does. Funniest God damned thing ever.

I smell a class action on that, if they don’t have the common sense to extend them to next year. You’ll probably be able to get a $.50 check or something if they don’t.

Crafty
Dec 9, 2003

I CAN'T SEE SHIT.

xbox one is the best

Ruffian Price posted:

WD: Legion installed a 3GB update. Is this the one? Can we save now?

Well it’s not the multiplayer because that got delayed again. I don’t know when it became acceptable to release the multiplayer at a later date, like it’s some sort of extra bonus that developers are choosing to bless us with. It’s annoying, and shouldn’t be allowed. Ship a game without the multiplayer then sell it for a lower amount you greedy jerk

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Crafty posted:

Well it’s not the multiplayer because that got delayed again. I don’t know when it became acceptable to release the multiplayer at a later date, like it’s some sort of extra bonus that developers are choosing to bless us with. It’s annoying, and shouldn’t be allowed. Ship a game without the multiplayer then sell it for a lower amount you greedy jerk

Eh if the SP is good I don’t even need MP. I mean the over focus on MP with the exception of certain games is one of the things I’ve hated in gaming trends in the last 10 to 15 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Crafty posted:

GTAV probably made this popular.

Multiplayer can be buggy and unbalanced and drag down that precious metacritic average.