Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Franchescanado posted:

Honestly? A whole month of play-in rounds sounds fun. It would also give us a chance to spread the word around CineD and beyond for participants.

Like I said, I think it will be easier to talk out once we do the seeding. Then we can see what we're actually working with and if we feel compelled to play them all. It might be a lot of great films and teams people put interest in, or it might be a bunch of directors I added automatically who no one felt compelled to give a vote. So I'm just kind of leaving that part on the back burner for now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

STAC Goat posted:

Like I said, I think it will be easier to talk out once we do the seeding. Then we can see what we're actually working with and if we feel compelled to play them all. It might be a lot of great films and teams people put interest in, or it might be a bunch of directors I added automatically who no one felt compelled to give a vote. So I'm just kind of leaving that part on the back burner for now.

We'll see what happens, but I'm already considering this a 2021 project more than a quarterly project (in my head), so it being expansive and stuff sounds good. Like I said in the last thread, if it didn't coincide with the October challenge, I would have been happier with the thread taking a month longer, but having two less movies to watch weekly. I like to sit and think about stuff, and that gets harder when I've got 8 movies to watch and consider every week.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I'm open to however we want to do it. I just think it will be easier to hash out when its tangible instead of theory. And if we're in no rush then we can spend a whole week after Christmas just figuring it out with most of our field set and just figuring out math and schedules.

The sheer number of the noms is gonna be something to work out though. Because we're at 92 right now with a lot of directors/movies left. If we stopped right now and included everyone we'd basically have to run a separate 32 nominee field for the last 4 spots of the 64 or something. Which maybe we'll decide to do but the math is gonna take a minute to figure out once its set.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Dec 9, 2020

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Screw it. I'm pulling the trigger on some teams. There's SO many good movies/directors left.

Team XX
Karyn Kusama, Jovanka Vuckovic, Roxanne Benjamin, & St. Vincent
XX

Roxanne Benjamin
Body at Brighton Rock

Karyn Kusama
Jennifer’s Body
The Invitation

Jovanka Vuckovic
Riot Girls

Coralie Fargeat
Revenge

Block Party
Joe Cornish
Attack the Block

Oz Rodriguez
Vampires vs the Bronx

Ernest R. Dickerson
Tales From the Crypt: Demon Knight
Bones
The V Word

Austin Vesely
Sliceand I'm gonna take advantage o

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

If no one's gonna use them I will.

The Ghostbeaters

Sam Raimi
Evil Dead
The Gift

Fede Alvarez
Evil Dead (2013)
Don’t Breathe

Dan O'Bannon
Return of the Living Dead
The Resurrected

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

An awkward pairing but I'm assuming the natural partner for Reitman, John Landis, is gonna be persona non grata again.

Spoof Comedy

Ivan Reitman

Cannibal Girls
Ghostbusters
Ghostbusters II

Mel Brooks

Young Frankenstein
High Anxiety
Dracula: Dead and Loving It

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
We can always make a heel team with Polanski and Landis.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I don't have a problem with putting Landis in personally, because we're gonna vote and I don't see him making it past a single vote because everyone hates his guts.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

married but discreet posted:

We can always make a heel team with Polanski and Landis.

Maybe I'm an rear end in a top hat, but I'd be okay with this.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

As much as John Landis sucks, his crime was more criminal negligence. It's not like he wanted or meant to kill those people, but it was a result of his actions. That is in no way an excuse, he should have faced a much steeper punishment. But like, I can still watch American Werewolf without feeling queasy.

Polanski, well that's a bit different. He knew what he was doing. gently caress him, Rosemary's Baby ain't worth it.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

TrixRabbi posted:

As much as John Landis sucks, his crime was more criminal negligence. It's not like he wanted or meant to kill those people, but it was a result of his actions. That is in no way an excuse, he should have faced a much steeper punishment. But like, I can still watch American Werewolf without feeling queasy.

Polanski, well that's a bit different. He knew what he was doing. gently caress him, Rosemary's Baby ain't worth it.

I don't think Polanski's filmography is so great that we should ignore his crimes or whatever, but this week I listened to the Unspooled episode for Chinatown and they read a letter(?) from Samantha Geimer (his most famous victim, which she would hate to be called) about her perspective on people avoiding his work, and it opened up my opinion. Personally, I think there's more room to discuss his works than ignore them. But he is an unforgiveable horrible piece of poo poo of a person, so I understand if we want to ignore him to save ourselves wrestling with all of it. There's plenty of other movies to watch outside of Knife in the Water, Repulsion, The Tenant and Rosemary's Baby.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Polanski/Landis is a living experiment of "separate the art from the artist." I don't even know how I'd vote with them. Like Rosemary's Baby is one of my favorite films of all time, even though I haven't been compelling to rewatch it in years. I don't know how I'd feel about it on a rewatch and I don't know if I'd vote against it if it wasn't going against something really great. Its a weird question, but one I'm not uncomfortable with us testing.

The problem is getting them past the nomination seeding on director name value. And if you team them with someone make sure it isn't someone you want to go down with the ship. So Team rear end in a top hat might be the best solution.

Although part of me wants to team Polanski with the Jeepers Creepers guy as Team Pedophile to not brush past that. But also I don't want to nominate "Team Pedophile."

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Jeepers Creepers ain't worth it.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

"Not worth it" is my personal opinion on all of them. But also like... do what you feel.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Rationally I know that Polanski and Landis' films were made by huge teams and not just the directors, and if some less well known member of the cast or crew instead of the director had turned out to be an abusive piece of poo poo I'd probably never hear about it and would go on happily enjoying their films.

But watching a film isn't a cold, rational experience and if thinking about the director's crimes is enough of a distraction then I'm not going to be able to enjoy those films anyway. It turns out that my own personal line is The Tenant. Once you get to "directed by and starring" it becomes too unpleasant of an experience.

If this was Reddit or some other nest of edgelords then I'd be concerned about the heel team, and that a group of users would want to push them as far through the tournament as possible. The CineD community is, in my experience, not that.

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

I think with Landis and Polanski they're also already recognisable names, with filmographies full of well-worn classics. They don't need this thread to highlight their work. So for me they're not only lovely people, they're also taking up a spot that would be better used to explore a less well-known director/team.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Debbie Does Dagon posted:

I think with Landis and Polanski they're also already recognisable names, with filmographies full of well-worn classics. They don't need this thread to highlight their work. So for me they're not only lovely people, they're also taking up a spot that would be better used to explore a less well-known director/team.

This is the correct take.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

That's the thing. I feel like if we put them on the list they'd just end up losing the seeding vote and the best they'd get is a play in where they'd have to out class whoever they faced... which might end up being a 3 or 4 way. So like... I dunno, seems like a waste of time and ethical awkwardness.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Yeah, this is one of the best reasons to drop them.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Team “Dad Was Always Quiet”
Christoper Landon
Happy Death Day
Happy Death Day 2U
Scouts Guide to the Apocalypse
Paranormal Activity: The Marked Ones
Freaky

Oz Perkins
The Blackcoat’s Daughter
Gretel & Hansel
I Am The Pretty Thing That Lives in the House

Team “Mortgages are Hell” aka “Completely Taking Advantage of the Sequel Defaults To Original Loophole”
Stephen Cognetti
Hell House, LLC
Hell House, LLC II: The Abaddon Hotel
Hell House LLC III: The Lake of Fire

Oren Peli
Paranormal Activity
Area 51

Tod Williams
Paranormal Activity 2
Cell

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

I'd say if we were in the situation where we were at an odd number of teams, then yeah, include Team rear end in a top hat to balance it out. But since I really can't see us in that scenario with the sheer amount of groupings we're coming up with, we're okay leaving them out of things again.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Deadline for Nominations is Monday, Dec 14th 12 noon EST

We have a whopping 98 nominees and they'll all go into the vote to determine seeds and maybe all get a chance to play in based on what we decide. But we abandoned self control a long time ago and there's still tons of names and films out there. You can find some of them on the spreadsheet's second page but there's more out there for sure. Remember, rules are simple. You can add directors together until you get to 6+ films. You can have as many films as 10 (if its 2 with 5). Just don't cherry pick their lists to make it work. Good and bad films, on and off theme. We're watching it all.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1rzRuxycZQQAkq1VjkgDyqTpmhrN_uVRSyk5d4D0I7Ig/edit#gid=0

For now I'm proposing but not nominating these three teams. They loosely work and I think all 6 guys should have a go, but if someone else has other ideas go for it.

Team #1: Something, Something Silent Film Founding Fathers
Tod Browning
Freaks
The Devil Doll
The Unknown
Mark of the Vampire

Alfred Hitchcock
Psycho
Shadow of a Doubt
Frenzy
Rear Window
Rope

Team #2: Something, Something Universal?
James Whale
The Old Dark House
Bride of Frankenstein

Jack Arnold
Creature From the Black Lagoon
The Incredible Shrinking Man
It Came From Outer Space
Tarantula
Monster on the Campus

Team #3: Something, Something Cat People?
Robert Wise
The Haunting
Curse of the Cat People
The Body Snatcher
Audrey Rose
A Game of Death

Jacques Tourneur
Cat People
Curse of the Demon
The Leopard Man
The Comedy of Terrors

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Austrian team only has 4 entries, can you add Haneke's two Funny Games?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

That's my bad. You had expressed ambiguity as to whether you'd use Haneke or Veronika Franz & Severin Fiala so I left it blank and meant to ask you. It just fell through the cracks.

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

Team: Bon Appetit!

Directors: Marc Caro, Park Chul-soo, Galder Gaztelu-Urrutia, György Pálfi, Peter Greenaway, Pier Paolo Pasolini

Films:

(Marc Caro)
Delicatessen

(Park Chul-soo)
301/302

(Galder Gaztelu-Urrutia)
The Platform

(György Pálfi)
Taxidermia

(Peter Greenaway)
The Cook, the Thief, His Wife & Her Lover

(Pier Paolo Pasolini)
Salò, or the 120 Days of Sodom

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

You know what my favorite part of stuff like this is? TRADES!

Team Skellington - While Burton has nothing to do with Coraline and Monkeybone Nightmare Before Christmas is basically his opus despite the fact that he didn’t direct it. So Deb was kind of enough to do some horse trading and let me pair the two of them up for a collection of weird and dark, and yet family safe films.

Tim Burton
Beetlejuice
Mars Attacks!
Corpse Bride
Dark Shadows
Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street

Henry Selick
Nightmare Before Christmas
Coraline
Monkey Bones

That adapts Deb’s Family Friendly team from Selick and Hayao Miyazaki to Miyazaki, Don Bluth, and Jim freaking Henson Which I gotta say, I kinda love.

Hayao Miyazaki
Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind
Princess Mononoke
Spirited Away

Jim Henson
Dark Crystal
Labyrinth

Don Bluth
The Secret of NIMH

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

And some guys I don't want left out.

The Silent Founders - Two legends. Legends who started in silent film and moved to sound. Two guys who I can not leave out of this.

Tod Browning
Freaks
The Devil Doll
The Unknown
Mark of the Vampire

Alfred Hitchcock
Psycho
Shadow of a Doubt
Frenzy
Rear Window
Rope

Team Universal - Another two legendary directors of the early days who I can’t leave out. Sure, there’s like 20 years separating them and they’re not all that similar, but hey, they both made s plash with Universal and this list includes 2 of the greatest films of the dynasty.

James Whale
The Old Dark House
Bride of Frankenstein

Jack Arnold
Creature From the Black Lagoon
The Incredible Shrinking Man
It Came From Outer Space
Tarantula
Monster on the Campus

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Everything Don Bluth has ever made is a horror movie

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

My entire childhood feels attacked.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Just looking at those lists, the watch gatherings will be incredible if we do them.

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

M_Sinistrari posted:

Just looking at those lists, the watch gatherings will be incredible if we do them.

Nothing will stop the streams. Not even my death. My corpse will spontaneously reanimate in order to show you all Borowczyk's The Beast.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Nominations lock at noon EST Monday, tomorrow!
Last Chance to get in teams or old directors! There’s still a lot of names in play. I added another 5 directors with 6+ last night. Adam Green, Joe D’Amato. Hideo Nakata. Takashi Shimizu, and Sergio Martino. We’re up to 107 nominees now, but why stop? You can see who’s in, and a few who aren’t yet here.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1rzRuxycZQQAkq1VjkgDyqTpmhrN_uVRSyk5d4D0I7Ig/edit?usp=sharing

Meanwhile here’s a few more teams I was waiting to see if anyone found places for but want in the pool.

Team… I don’t know… Cat People? - I don’t know, i just really can’t leave them out. The Haunting, Curse of the Demon, Cat People. Our pool feels heavily more biased to the modern so I want to balance it a bit and get these two in.

Robert Wise
The Haunting
Curse of the Cat People
The Body Snatcher
Audrey Rose
A Game of Death

Jacques Tourneur
Cat People
Curse of the Demon
The Leopard Man
The Comedy of Terrors

Raiders of the Tomb - Ok, these aren’t legends by any means but As Above So Below is one of my favorite films and The Mummy Films are great and Basebf wanted Sommers in and loves Van Helloing but Spielberg had too many films and forced him off the team. So lets team up our horror finding explorers like their names were Indy and Lara.

Stephen Sommers
The Mummy
The Mummy Returns
Van Helsing
Deep Rising

John Erick Dowdle
As Above So Below
Devil
The Poughkeepsie Tapes
Quarantine

Team “Ladies Night” - Just some notable and interesting films from women directors, which I think are worth adding to the pool.

Ana Lily Amirpour
A Girl Walks Home Alone At Night

Anna Biller
The Love Witch

Issa Lopez
Tigers Are Not Afraid

Juliana Rojas
Good Manners
Hard Labor

Rose Glass
Saint Maud

Team “More 👏 Women 👏 Directors” - They may not be the best, but hey they’re an under-represented pool.

The Soska Sisters
American Mary
Rabid
See No Evil 2
Dead Hooker in a Trunk

Sophia Takal
Black Christmas (2019)
Always Shine
New Year, New You

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Can't stop, won't stop.

Just Two Weirdos Writing About Quirky Ladies Clumsily

Lucky McKee
May
All Cheerleaders Die
The Woman
The Woods
Kindred Spirits

Tyler MacIntyre
Tragedy Girls
Patchwork
Good Boy

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Ok, nominations are now locked. Sure, a bunch of people didn’t get listed but we do have a whopping 113 nominations! So the next step is whittling that down. I’ve got a Jungle Primary ready to go where you’ll have a chance to vote for as many as 40 of the 113. Why 40 instead of last year’s 25? Because that will give a wider field of votes and possibly set up an easy Play In set of nominees who got votes but not enough to get in. The plan right now is 60 seats will be filled and the final 4 will go to Play Ins. But that could change and we’ll talk about it once we have the numbers.

But first our Automatic Bids. 8 nominees will get the #1 and 2 seeds in the tournament and get to skip the voting process. Each Council member will be able to choose one nominee. The council members were chosen by the top 8 posters in the last thread

Debbie Does Dagon: Takashi Miike
TrixRabbi: Shinya Tsukamoto
Basebf555: Mario Bava
Franchescanado: Dario Argento
married but discreet: Wes Craven
Shrecknet: Team “Dad Was Always Quiet” (Christoper Landon & Oz Perkins)
Burkion
MacheteZombie: John Carpenter

So make your picks and when we have our 8 I’ll put up the vote and we’ll keep that open until after Christmas.

Here's the nominees.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1rzRuxycZQQAkq1VjkgDyqTpmhrN_uVRSyk5d4D0I7Ig/edit#gid=0

And yes, you can pick a team. I was gonna set a rule that says you can’t pick your own nominee but then if you were smart you’d just cut a deal with someone else so… whatever. You do you.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Dec 15, 2020

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I am very glad Jack Hill got added.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I'm going to stake out a claim on Carpenter.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

For my pick, since this will ensure they're included in the bracket, I'll go with the Japanese body horror master Shinya Tsukamoto.

edit: I misread the instructions

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I'm gonna just go with my guy Mario Bava again. I think he went out way too early last time and I don't want to leave it up to a vote and risk him being dropped completely.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Franchescanado posted:

I am very glad Jack Hill got added.

Total luck because I happened to watch Spider Baby last night.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

STAC Goat posted:

Total luck because I happened to watch Spider Baby last night.

His whole catalogue of exploitation films and grindhouse films are really good. I love Spider Baby.