Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Epic Prison Guy
Aug 1, 2020

Hi, I'm having a huge problem with my Green Cheek conure, Jesse James. Whenever I put on my pair of Oakley sunglasses (which are red tinted) he goes absolutely loving ballistic. If I enter the room he is in with these glasses, it almost always results in me having to violently fling him off me. I want to state for the record that me and Jesse get along absolutely fine all the other time. We are best mates. You can't find him without me and vice versa. I've tried a few experiments (is it the color red? No, it is not, because he doesn't flip out at my red bandana.)

A little information regarding Jesses past. His previous owners, who were shitheads, seperated him from his sister bird who he was apparently pretty fond of. These idiots, instead of seeing if one person could handle both of the birds, gave them away as soon as possible because they need to move into a non-bird apartment.

I am absolutely up poo poo creek here. These glasses were almost 200 dollars and I love them. Sometimes I need to run and grab something and all of a sudden it's "Rumble in the Jungle". You would not believe the ammount of testosteroney aggression he displays. He's bitten me on the corner of the mouth so hard it looked like a had a herpe for 3 weeks straight. He's bitten through leather gloves hard enough to hurt. This bird is the Christian Hazoi (no literally, he can do a FS 540 flip on my finger) of conures apparently, and whenever it gets to fighting, he doesn't give up.

What is it about this goddamn pair of sunglasses that is turning my bird into such a raving jackass?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008
Am I the only person that sees this as get rid of glasses? Probably but get rid of glasses or sell them. It's causing him stress and you pain.

Epic Prison Guy
Aug 1, 2020

They're 200 dollar glasses. I bring them maybe once in a great while and his reaction is so violent that I'm not going to ignore this by giving them away. I want to treat the underlying issue here, which is him raging the gently caress out and attacking me even though he loves me all the other times. Seriously.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Is it just the glasses in general? Or only when they're on you. Do other sunglasses make him flip out? Some combination of what they look like in UV vision and reflecting?

The underlying issue might just be birds are weird and he doesn't like your glasses, no matter how much they cost. So get ready for that to be an option

Honestly, looking at these, I can totally understand where the bird is coming from.

Epic Prison Guy
Aug 1, 2020

Rotten Cookies posted:

Is it just the glasses in general? Or only when they're on you. Do other sunglasses make him flip out? Some combination of what they look like in UV vision and reflecting?

The underlying issue might just be birds are weird and he doesn't like your glasses, no matter how much they cost. So get ready for that to be an option

Honestly, looking at these, I can totally understand where the bird is coming from.

Im sorry was that shade thrown under helpful suggestion? I'm not sure which to take first. Have fun with your 20 gas station glasses mate, but don't hold me to them.

It's just the glasses. I take them off and he does a FURIOUS bull run towards them when I place them within foot reach. I think I can use these as a toy now. Bullfighting but with a conure is suprisingly dangerous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

I don't think the person above was throwing shade. Sometimes birds take a violent, seemingly arbitrary hatred of a random item and then everyone involves just has to... deal with it. My green cheek despises Talenti Gelato jars. Just loving LOATHES them. If I try to use one near him I will absolutely get effed up and in every other situation we are eleven-year-strong soulmates. If he even sees me reaching for a jar (I reuse them after the gelato is gone) he appears out of nowhere like a tiny wrathful avenging angel and it's terrifying :lol:

The only real suggestion to be offered ime, aside from just trying not to wear them around Jesse, is exposure therapy. God knows this does not seem to work for my Talenti jars but it's worth a try, just leaving the glasses out where he can see them at times when they're not actively on your body. Honestly he is probably so freaked out by then because he thinks they are dangerous and is trying to tell YOU to get the HELL AWAY YOU'RE IN DANGER!!!

I am quite sure the comment on being able to see why Jesse is freaked out is because those glasses look like nothing a little bird like Jesse would ever encounter in the wild. For him they likely look completely bizarre, and given they can see spectrums we can't those lenses might be an absolute terror.