Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Telling my kids this is what his Mormon classmates believe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

I don't care HOW it gets done, but I NEED a Wayne and Lopen team-up novella.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

Telling my kids this is what his Mormon classmates believe

Crab Mormons

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Branderson has an update on Skyward #3 up on reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/brandonsanderson/comments/kac165/skyward_three_update_two/

quote:

(Publishers would generally like an 12-18 moth lead time after book turn in to publication, and this one will have around ten months or so.)
I guess I don't know poo poo about publishing, because to me that seems like a comically long period of time. I understand that book publishers do...stuff, like editing and marketing, and of course physically printing the book, but still, a year+?

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Cicero posted:

Branderson has an update on Skyward #3 up on reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/brandonsanderson/comments/kac165/skyward_three_update_two/

I guess I don't know poo poo about publishing, because to me that seems like a comically long period of time. I understand that book publishers do...stuff, like editing and marketing, and of course physically printing the book, but still, a year+?

if i remember correctly, like a month ago general battuta, in the main scifi/fantasy thread, said he had a finished scifi book being published sometime in 2021 and it hasn't even been announced yet. apparently really long lead times are normal

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Okay, I’ve had some time to process things. Time for a big effort post about Hero of Ages and the Mistborn trilogy in general.

This is probably just going to come across as a random smattering of thoughts since I’m just going through the notes I jotted down while listening to the audiobook.

I really really enjoyed Hero of Ages. It’s a much better book than Well of Ascension. Of the three, I think I still prefer The Final Empire the most, but Hero of Ages is a close second.

Let’s start with the stuff I really liked the most -

I feel like Hero of Ages had a pretty strong flow. I much prefer him going with smaller chapters since it allowed more jumping between characters. Also more epigraphs.

I really liked Elend’s rage toward the end of the book when he was at the town besieged by koloss. And the depression that followed. It was just nice to see him go apeshit.

I love Ruin when he was in Reen’s body. He was so perfectly lovely. It helped that the audiobook narrator did an amazing sneer in his voice. He was what Zane wishes he was.

“AND SHE CAUGHT HIS ARM” was such a loving amazing moment when the tortured Vin got the power of the mists. The following fight with the inquisitors needed anime music behind it. It was a great “final battle” for Vin. The destruction of Kredik Shaw was wild.

gently caress KonParr. This book was really great about creating antagonists that made me angry. Not angry at the book, but just really punchable people. I include The Citizen and Yomen in this.

I love that it all returned to the Atium at the end. Elend and the final stand of the Atium mistings was great.

The final battle with Vin and Ruin watching from the sky made me think of an RTS godgame. Is Sanderson a Civilization fan?

Overall, I really loved how many seemingly unimportant things turned out to be all tied together. Even just with how the mists reacted to allomancy. I’m not sure how much Sanderson planned from the very very beginning or if he was able to just figure out ways to tie seemingly unimportant details together, but it felt incredibly satisfying. So many good “OH! gently caress!” moments.

The ending was a really great bittersweet ending. I wasn’t expecting to lose both Vin and Elend. Vin comes off as such a tragic character. Spends most her life beaten and tortured, gets a measure of happiness but in a world that is tremendously hosed. And then dies. Vin deserved to see this new world. :(

I’m so glad both Breeze and Ham survived. I was going to be furious if Ham didn’t get to go back to his family. And I just really like Breeze.

Now for some of the things that bothered me. (This may SEEM longer, but it’s only because I want to explain my critiques. They are relatively few.)

While I like the cosmic stakes of this book, I feel like it, in ways, diminishes the characters of the previous books. The characters have less agency when everything was the plan of gods.

The Atium being with the Kandra was a good twist but the whole explanation for how the Lord Ruler pulled that off got a little bit of a side-eye from me. How did that secret never leak from the obligators that handled it? Many of the obligators survived the Collapse and none of them had any info on it? No records? Nothing? I’m willing to believe it but I also think it’s slightly stretching things.

I feel like this final book actually had a little too much death, if that makes sense. I know the whole book is about how the world is dying, but it feels like 1% of the worlds population survived. I don’t know what the actual numbers are because he never exactly said, but boy did it feel like humanity was on the verge of extinction even half way through the book. And I get that is kinda the point, but it almost created a little death fatigue. When every chapter is talking about another village or town being wiped out, it starts getting hard to care about when swathes of people are cut down by koloss, for example. I think this is also because Sanderson plays a little fast and loose with the makeup of the Final Empire. I never had a good feel for how many people were around pre-Collapse vs post-Collapse vs before and after world rebirth.

Ruin was cool as Reen but Ruin (and Vin) were a little boring as god-clouds in the sky. Two clouds of voice crashing into each other just isn’t as interesting as someone with swords or daggers. It’s just not as interesting of imagery and makes me think back to films like Ang Lee’s Hulk villain or Fanastic Four and Silver Surfer’s film portrayal of Galactus. I wish they would have been seen as like mist spirits fighting in the sky or something.

Sanderson’s endings for all three of these books were sort of abrupt and that didn’t bother me for the first two. But this one, I felt could just use a little more breathing room. Not a ton, but even just a few more pages since I feel like there were pressing issues without resolution. What happened to Marsh? He killed Elend and then he just isn’t in the story anymore. He was a major driving force and he just disappeared from the ending. What happened to the mistwraiths/Kandra? What happened to the Koloss? Are the people coming out of the vaults the entirety of the worlds population? Was there anyone else alive not in the vaults? I feel like these are a few major question that at least deserved a couple lines of resolution.

Also one final thought I had about Well of Ascension:

Well of Ascension is boring because sieges are boring. Book one is about an supposedly immortal god-king. Book three is about actual gods. Book two is about some dudes and their armies hanging out and waiting near a city.

Current Sanderson Rankings:

Mistborn: The Final Empire
Mistborn: Hero of Ages
Mistborn: Well of Ascension

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Just to be clear, the next book answers a large chunk of your questions. It's set 200 or 300 years in the future.

I can answer questions, but some of it is nice to read about.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Sanderson likes to leave some percentage of things unresolved so he can pluck those threads later.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

also the first two wax and wayne books, combined, are still shorter than HOA. they blow by pretty quick by comparison to the first trilogy

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

RC Cola posted:

Just to be clear, the next book answers a large chunk of your questions. It's set 200 or 300 years in the future.

I can answer questions, but some of it is nice to read about.

That’s good to know. I’ll get there eventually. I think I’m going to do Elantris next and then move on to Wax and Wayne and then Stormlight.

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...
Just so you know, as his first novel, Elantris is probably the roughest Sanderson read. It was my first so it has a special place in my memory, but you can definitely see the improvements he makes as a writer.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I would throw in Warbreaker before stormlight personally, also an early book, rough like Elantris. But IMO worthwhile to read.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Yeah I want to recommend skipping elantris and going straight to wax&wayne because those books are so much fun, but I understand if you're trying to read roughly in publication order - elantris is ok it's just wax and wayne are Good Books and elantris is for completionists

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

I’d read Elantris and/or Warbreaker before The 2nd Mistborn trilogy, but that’s simply because the Wax and Wayne books are just so much fun. Flawed, yes, but so very fun.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Mordiceius posted:

Let’s start with the stuff I really liked the most -

Looking at your liked spoilers, you're moving on to Alloy of Law next right? Because you should. Save Elantis for some other time because it's pretty rough, even after the revisions he did a few years back.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
Best part about reading Elantris is you can then read the emperor's soul, which is IMO some of Sanderson's best work.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

I liked like 1/3 of Elantris, I don't regret reading it but if it was the first Sanderson book I did I would not of been on board at all, although I never read the revisions. I'd say Wax/Wayne makes sense next if you want a lighter book also helps to have the originals in your mind when doing them as you will catch more of the various references and get some answers, Stormlight if you are ready for like 50+ hours per audiobook.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Other than AU explicitly stating it also takes place on Sel, do you really even need to read Elantris first?

It's been quite some time since I read either, but I don't recall what tie-in there is to make reading Elantris a prerequisite :thunk:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
I read Emperor's Soul a few weeks after Elantris and while it gives some more context about the world I don't think you lose much, if anything, but not reading Elantris first. If there was a tie-in that made it worthwhile I'm blanking on it.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Lots of people say they liked 1 of the 3 viewpoints in Elantris and did not care as much for the other two.

However there is no agreement about which one is the good one.

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...

big mean giraffe posted:

Best part about reading Elantris is you can then read the emperor's soul, which is IMO some of Sanderson's best work.

This one, right here, they know what they're talking about. Emperor's Soul is fantastic. Honestly, you probably don't even need to read Elantris to enjoy Emperor's Soul. And it's a super quick read.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Tunicate posted:

Lots of people say they liked 1 of the 3 viewpoints in Elantris and did not care as much for the other two.

Anyone who dislikes Hrathren is wrong.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

I’m a completionist with endless audiobook time currently so I just figure I’ll knock out Elantris in about two weeks of listening. It can’t be worse than Well of Ascension, right?

Plus I want to just put some space between my listening to Era 1 and Era 2.

It seems that people are mixed on Jack Garrett’s reading though.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

ConfusedUs posted:

Anyone who dislikes Hrathren is wrong.

This is the correct answer.

Mordiceius posted:

I’m a completionist with endless audiobook time currently so I just figure I’ll knock out Elantris in about two weeks of listening. It can’t be worse than Well of Ascension, right?

I think I'd rank Elantris below Well of Ascension overall. It's a standlone book so the pacing is better but it's still very rough around the edges.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

For what it’s worth I like Elantris. I think if you go in knowing it isn’t quite as strong but adds some neat tidbits and background lore, your expectations will be set. I also super loved the magic system and conclusion of Warbreaker too.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Yea, WoA isn't bad it's just the weakest of the 3. Still plenty of fun chapters, sparring with Zane and clearing out the tower and just the whole implications/cliffhanger of the ending is woah.

Elantris... I don't recall caring for any of the characters. The concept for the world is neat but overall the book didn't do much for me. And it's not cosmerically (?) significant.

Warbreaker I thought the magic system was cool as hell, the mercenary humor really got me, and a lot more happens here in the big picture.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

I’ve found that a person’s enjoyment of Warbreaker directly correlates with how much they like dad jokes.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Mordiceius posted:

It can’t be worse than Well of Ascension, right?

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

ConfusedUs posted:

I’ve found that a person’s enjoyment of Warbreaker directly correlates with how much they like dad jokes.

Oh poo poo. No wonder Lightsong is my favorite character.

Put me in the "you can read The Emperor's Soul without ever touching Elantris" camp. It's so drat good.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Mord should definitely do Warbreaker before Stormlight in any case. Its also worth grabbing the arcanum unbound and listening to secret history after era 2 imo

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011
Basically just read them all in some order.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

External Organs posted:

Put me in the "you can read The Emperor's Soul without ever touching Elantris" camp. It's so drat good.

You can read Emperor's Soul without reading any other Brandon Sanderson book. Because it's that drat good, and also because it only has minimal connections to the rest of the Cosmere works (for now).

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song before I go / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today

Zaggitz posted:

Mord should definitely do Warbreaker before Stormlight in any case. Its also worth grabbing the arcanum unbound and listening to secret history after era 2 imo

I read Warbreaker after Stormlight and didn't feel like I missed out, though now having read all Cosmere works and then reading RoW certainly gives me an idea of how people who read it the other way must have felt at the payoff. :shrug:

Rosalie_A posted:

Basically just read them all in some order.

This. I think Mordiceius was planning on doing publication order, which honestly is as good an order as anything.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

External Organs posted:

He's easily Sanderson's funniest character, but let's be honest: he's dad as gently caress. If you hate dad jokes and deadpan humor, you'll loathe Lightsong.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Seconding recommending Warbreaker

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Leng posted:

This. I think Mordiceius was planning on doing publication order, which honestly is as good an order as anything.

Basically a modified publication order, doing sets/series together.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Sab669 posted:

And it's not cosmerically (?) significant.

I might've agreed with you up until a few weeks ago.

Zaggitz posted:

Mistborn Era 2, Arcanum Unbound (except for Edgedancer), and Warbreaker before Stormlight for sure.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Also, someone mentioned in thread about how Sanderson is doing a sci-fi novel next and I just happen to watch one of his YouTube videos where he mentions after Rhythm of War is another Skyward book. Just FYI.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.

Tunicate posted:

Nobody likes Sarene the most.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

I thought Elantris was generally alright but as someone who also went through the Cosmere with the audiobooks it's easily the hardest listen if only due to the narrator's weird singsong radio voice.

If you like how much the Kramer narration feels like audio plays then you will love Stormlight because it's him and his wife swapping narration based on PoV gender and it fully rules.