Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

theres no manipulating, this is something both want

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

bees x1000 posted:

Well yeah but I’d prefer that to ‘Eren was the bad guy and manipulating Ymir this entire time’.

I dunno given how absolutely horrified he was on multiple occasions about these events, plus his attempts to try to change the future, I don’t see Eren being 100% willing to do this to the degree that he’d be influencing Ymir

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
Eren being the bad guy because he'd rather genocide the world than condemn Historia and her baby to early deaths that involve being ritually cannibalized by your own child, all in order to maintain control of Paradis' titan nuclear football to force a prolonged cold war with the rest of the world is, I dare say, already a very solid approach the story is taking.

No need to muddle it with the notion that Eren is acting out of character, or that Ymir hasn't finally found an outlet after toiling away for eons and is using it to lash out because she's not a saint.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Conspiratiorist posted:

No need to muddle it with the notion that Eren is acting out of character,

Too late for that, the manga just finished underlined how Eren is acting against his own character what with him regretfully saving that kid he'd later kill.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Schwarzwald posted:

Too late for that, the manga just finished underlined how Eren is acting against his own character what with him regretfully saving that kid he'd later kill.

Several chapters are spent with the rest of the cast analyzing Eren's actions and coming to the realization that unleashing the Rumbling was indeed something the Eren they knew was capable of doing, and the ultimate reason why he opted to play along with Zeke's plan and the Yaegerists that they had been refusing to acknowledge.

The scenes with Eren thereafter establish that he, naturally, feels like poo poo for doing a genocide on innocent people, and calls himself half-assed because despite in his heart having already committed himself to the decision he can't help but intervene on the kid's behalf - no matter how hypocritical, fighting for freedom is what he does, so there's no way he could stop himself when faced with what was happening. That's just core to his nature.

It's also a cruel twist in that he knew he'd intervene from his precognition, so failing to doing so would be proof that the future he saw could be changed - something he desperately wished for.

And yet he still stepped in, because he's Eren.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Rereading some old chapters like I do, when I get sucked back into the story.

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

Anime episode 1 was great. Animation and pacing was on point. I forgot how good that war scene was, especially the titan drop. Zeke and Reiner's strategy in Shiganshina was so simple, and now we jump to the outside world and they show us how they actually fight wars using titans.

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son
The difference between genociding an unsuspecting corralled group of civilians vs a prepared army with WWI-era weapons technology.

Those anti-titan guns tore those normal titans (and Reiner) apart, I wish we'd got to see more of that throughout the series.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Its interesting that Titans are basically battleships and are rapidly running out of useful ability as technology advances.

JahRoo
Oct 22, 2010

Titans are FleshMechs

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

JahRoo posted:

Titans are FleshMechs

I’m hoping they make it into SRW alongside Zeta Gundam for maximum titan fighting.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

HoneyBoy posted:

Those anti-titan guns tore those normal titans (and Reiner) apart, I wish we'd got to see more of that throughout the series.

They're supposed to be a relatively recent invention, I think. Also Marley probably doesn't have any guns like those, they're described as being hopelessly behind at anti-titan warfare since they've never been on the receiving end before.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
I'm happy that the anti-titan weaponry has stayed relevant, playing roles in both the raid on Liberio and the second battle of Shiganshina.

Notably, Pieck and Magath inflicted more damage to Eren with an anti-titan cannon than either Reiner or Galliard could, and crippled Zeke by obliterating his spine. Gabi also famously decapitates Eren with an anti-titan rifle (in addition to using it to kill Nile and save the Brauses).

In all honesty, she'll probably also 360 no scope the explosives on Eren's neck. It just won't matter because there's an approximately 0% chance Eren's actually in the nape.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

I'm going to chuckle if it turns out Eren is still at Shiganshina with Zeke.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Titans might lose efficiency on the open battlefield, but they’d always be useful in a special operations role and the Colossal Titan is a reusable almost impossible to detect WMD. They’d always be a huge boon to whomever controlled them.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

wdarkk posted:

I’m hoping they make it into SRW alongside Zeta Gundam for maximum titan fighting.

If Evas count I don't see why Titans couldn't at this point.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
Someday in the far future of this world there are absolutely goin to be mechs based on the old stories of Titans.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Viridiant posted:

Someday in the far future of this world there are absolutely goin to be mechs based on the old stories of Titans.

And then one of the pilots will tell a young man that his name sounds like a girl's, and the cycle of vengeance will continue.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

chiasaur11 posted:

And then one of the pilots will tell a young man that his name sounds like a girl's, and the cycle of vengeance will continue.

"Eren? Isn't that a girl's name?"

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Finally watched the episode. Mappa is great. I actually chef-kissed at all the frames they gave Beast Titan's 3D model. It easily could've been Knights of Sidonia bad but instead it was pretty dang smooth for anime CG. The long shot over the mesa at the beginning was also chef-kiss worthy and I was hype as gently caress when the armored titan clotheslined the top of the wall. My only misgiving would be wanting to see a broader view of the titan bombardment aftermath and some more motion to the shots of the ships being shotgunned but that's just if you wanted the episode to be 100% perfect. I'm fine with 95% instead.

I hope when the anime catches up to the manga we see at least 1 long shot of some 3DM zig-zagging between ribs. Out of all the chapters I've wanted to see animated, this latest one is probably the top among them.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

The Notorious ZSB posted:

If Evas count I don't see why Titans couldn't at this point.
You know, that would be an interesting take. Have Eren start out in a throwaway mech, but when shot down, boom Attack Titan pops out a la Berserk EVA-01. Then later on when Eren gains full control, it becomes something he change into when he hits a certain morale threshold.

And if people are rolling their eyes at that, I will remind people that goddamn Sgt. Frog has made it into SRW, with one of its units being a Perfect Grade RX-78-2 model kit that works like the original Gundam.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
I can’t wait to see their explanation for titans working in space.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

wdarkk posted:

I can’t wait to see their explanation for titans working in space.

Reiner tries to kill himself by suffocation.

To prevent this, Ymir ensures that all titans don't need to breathe.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Ymir removes the lifespan reduction, just to make Reiner suffer longer.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
lol

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
we're going to liberate you from this mortal coil

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Eren was in last night’s episode but I wonder if the anime isn’t going to reveal him until the Reiner meetup?

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
It was very obvious it was him early on in the manga, it could be because I know what’s going to happen but the anime is making it pretty obvious that there are islanders there already. I expect anime only people will have already figured it out this episode if not the next.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...

hatty posted:

It was very obvious it was him early on in the manga, it could be because I know what’s going to happen but the anime is making it pretty obvious that there are islanders there already. I expect anime only people will have already figured it out this episode if not the next.

There was a hilarious thread on the Reddit where somebody asked if the wrong armband guy was Eren, and everyone else was like "nah, they would've made a bigger deal out of it."
I love Attack on Titan.

This is the series where the Armored and Colossal Titans casually reveal themselves while someone talks over them.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

We might see "Mr. Kruger" next episode depending on how they structure Reiner's flashbacks to his training and his time on Paradis.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro

Beefstew posted:

There was a hilarious thread on the Reddit where somebody asked if the wrong armband guy was Eren, and everyone else was like "nah, they would've made a bigger deal out of it."
I love Attack on Titan.

This is the series where the Armored and Colossal Titans casually reveal themselves while someone talks over them.

I hope manga folk aren’t going in there and spoiling things with “predictions”. it’s a real peeve of mine

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
I really liked how in the PTSD file bit, if you step through the frames, you can clearly see how Eren doesn't actually react emotionally and only falls over a couple frames after the rest, suggesting he's mimicking them.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.

hatty posted:

I hope manga folk aren’t going in there and spoiling things with “predictions”. it’s a real peeve of mine

Try typing anything related to AOT into Youtube and counting the number of spoilers you see in the titles and thumbnails alone. No one is staying unspoiled.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

I mean, they are trying to save humanity still.

It's just they're mostly trying to save it from Eren.

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !

In It For The Tank posted:

I'm happy that the anti-titan weaponry has stayed relevant, playing roles in both the raid on Liberio and the second battle of Shiganshina.

Notably, Pieck and Magath inflicted more damage to Eren with an anti-titan cannon than either Reiner or Galliard could, and crippled Zeke by obliterating his spine. Gabi also famously decapitates Eren with an anti-titan rifle (in addition to using it to kill Nile and save the Brauses).

In all honesty, she'll probably also 360 no scope the explosives on Eren's neck. It just won't matter because there's an approximately 0% chance Eren's actually in the nape.

what chapter was this fight in I must have missed it

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Sjs00 posted:

what chapter was this fight in I must have missed it

117 to 119

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
Oh those must have been the chapters I was sleeping in an impenetrable crystal for

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Sjs00 posted:

Oh those must have been the chapters I was sleeping in an impenetrable crystal for

Impenetrable my rear end, the Jaw Titan can bite through that poo poo.

Kritzkrieg Kop
Nov 4, 2009
Forgot everything in the manga so I thought there was a comedic moment where Reiner jumped off the roof in vain suicide after dinner and they cut to him in the morning all healed up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006
Edit: the question I had was answered in the very next scene, dumb me.