Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Hedgehog Pie posted:

I neglected to do this and all the silly millennials thought I was The Bride from Kill Bill. Really could've saved myself a whole lot of embarrassment had I thought ahead.

The blonde wig may have thrown them of, to be fair.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS
Oh, I like the smell of my own dumps.
From now on you're only allowed to pretend to be what you already are. Makes sense.

multijoe posted:

Given the previous few pages discussion I would like to clarify that blacking up of any kind to dress as a black person is blackface and you should definitely not do it!!

It's really not. Some is, yes. Probably most. Not all.

Super Deuce fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Dec 9, 2020

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
if as a white person you have to put on makeup to go in costume as michael jackson or sammy davis jr then both your costume and mimicry skills suck raw rear end. it is so incredibly easy to do a michael jackson costume, just a fedora and shiny glove will do it. say 'hee!' at people. not complicated!

Super Deuce posted:

From now on you're only allowed to pretend to be what you already are. Makes sense.

phrasing, my friend. phrasing

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS

luxury handset posted:

if as a white person you have to put on makeup to go in costume as michael jackson or sammy davis jr then both your costume and mimicry skills suck raw rear end. it is so incredibly easy to do a michael jackson costume, just a fedora and shiny glove will do it

What about wearing an afro to dress as a younger Michael Jackson? Would that be offensive? The afro would be the same thing as wearing makeup. Is the rule you can only dress as later lighter Michael if you're white?

Or can we treat things with nuance on an individual basis?

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Super Deuce posted:

What about wearing an afro to dress as a younger Michael Jackson? Would that be offensive?

yes. next question

Super Deuce posted:

Or can we treat things with nuance on an individual basis?

if you have to be nuanced in your racism then you lost the argument before it began. while it may be possible for some white person somewhere to pull off an afro wig in a costume, it definitely takes more advanced racism avoidance skill than would be found in someone asking things like "just how much shoe polish can i put on my face before it becomes offensive?"

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS

luxury handset posted:

yes. next question

if you have to be nuanced in your racism then you lost the argument before it began. while it may be possible for some white person somewhere to pull off an afro wig in a costume, it definitely takes more advanced racism avoidance skill than would be found in someone asking things like "just how much shoe polish can i put on my face before it becomes offensive?"

Alternatively, let's treat the behavior as racist, not the appearance? Is Nuka Zeus racist because he has darkened his skin because he identifies as black? He's essentially in a form of black face, right?

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Super Deuce posted:

Alternatively, let's treat the behavior as racist, not the appearance?

how about both? i can't see any distinction between behaving in such a way that your appearance becomes racially offensive as if they are distinct concepts. maybe if someone passed out at a party and they woke up with an afro glued to their hair as a joke, this would be a useful hypothetical to dig into. i also don't know what nuka zeus is so i'm just going to assume yes

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

Super Deuce posted:

Is Nuka Zeus racist because he has darkened his skin because he identifies as black?

there's probably a lot going on there, but to keep it short, yes

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
alright i googled him and Yes but also Wow and drat

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS

luxury handset posted:

alright i googled him and Yes but also Wow and drat

Explain how? Because he identifies as something else?

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

But is it racist if nuka zeus puts on blackface makeup?? makes u think

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Super Deuce posted:

Explain how? Because he identifies as something else?

i feel like we're working into an 'attack helicopter' argument and i'm going to remain grounded, tyvm

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS

luxury handset posted:

i feel like we're working into an 'attack helicopter' argument and i'm going to remain grounded, tyvm

No because that's being facetious and nobody actually does it in reality. Nuka Zeus is an actual person who identifies as black and I see no reason to discount her personal experience and feelings because to do so would be prejudice.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

So, what is everybody's favourite scenes in the show? I think the end of of The Gang Reignites the Rivalry is one of the best comedy scenes produced, when they reveal they had so little faith in Dee they'd already factored in her choking and poisoned her just to secure their revenge against the frat boys, absolute genius :D

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS

multijoe posted:

So, what is everybody's favourite scenes in the show? I think the end of of The Gang Reignites the Rivalry is one of the best comedy scenes produced, when they reveal they had so little faith in Dee they'd already factored in her choking and poisoned her just to secure their revenge against the frat boys, absolute genius :D

The scene that tickles me most is in the D.E.N.N.I.S. System, Charlie does this weird hand gesture when Dennis is explaining it on the second N.

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

multijoe posted:

Man... off the top of my head: Dennis System, “the implication”, Dayman: Fighter of the Nightman, Lethal Weapon, Fat Mac, Dennis vs the Hippies, Charlie the lawyer and the whole “Dee is a bird” party joke that builds to Dee being played by an Emu.

I also loved Mac coming out to his dad but that was not funny but beautiful and I cried so much.

Big edit:
Also to the ongoing discussion since I’m 100% the guys arguing nuance are white. Imagine my mates and I are hanging out on Halloween and all of us are dark skinned. You don’t know us at all but you walk in painted up. Would you worry if we were offended? Would you understand if we didn’t accept the nuance argument and just saw blackface? Would you honestly feel safe wearing blackface around us? Would you really? Why not? If you 100% think you will be safe then I encourage you to dress up next Halloween and I’ll help you find a cool place to hang out.

Not saying ban the episodes as I find them funny but, sweet buggery Christ, this argument went on and on. Didn’t want to say anything but felt like I should.

DogsInSpace! fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Dec 9, 2020

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.

multijoe posted:

One of my favs is at the end of the quarantine episode, they decide to ditch the a capella contest sing just for fun at the bar. I find it very relatable while also being oddly heartwarming to see the four of them just getting along having a good time. They're also really good singers so that elevates it even further.

It's hard to pick all time favorite scenes as there are so many to choose from. Thought I'd just pick the first one that popped into my head.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTqL14T7I8M

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/WindingDeficientBelugawhale-mobile.mp4

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS

DogsInSpace! posted:

Man... off the top of my head: Dennis System, “the implication”, Dayman: Fighter of the Nightman, Lethal Weapon, Fat Mac, Dennis vs the Hippies, Charlie the lawyer and the whole “Dee is a bird” party joke that builds to Dee being played by an Emu.

I also loved Mac coming out to his dad but that was not funny but beautiful and I cried so much.

Big edit:
Also to the ongoing discussion since I’m 100% the guys arguing nuance are white. Imagine my mates and I are hanging out on Halloween and all of us are dark skinned. You don’t know us at all but you walk in painted up. Would you worry if we were offended? Would you understand if we didn’t accept the nuance argument and just saw blackface? Would you honestly feel safe wearing blackface around us? Would you really? Why not? If you 100% think you will be safe then I encourage you to dress up next Halloween and I’ll help you find a cool place to hang out.

Not saying ban the episodes as I find them funny but, sweet buggery Christ, this argument went on and on. Didn’t want to say anything but felt like I should.

Pretty done talking about it, but yea I don't think a threat of violence should stop anyone. Same reason I wouldn't be afraid to wear a Bernie shirt at a Trump rally. So, if I ever wanted to which I don't because it's not me, and I also hate wearing makeup anyways, no a threat of violence wouldn't stop me.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

multijoe posted:

I forget what episode it is, but at some point Charlie and Frank are explaining their plan to fill Frank with loads of extra blood to make him more verile, and it always cracks me up.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

by far the hardest i've laughed on the show is frank emerging from the couch

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

luxury handset posted:

yes. next question

You're insane

Sodomeow
Sep 26, 2015

Super Deuce posted:

No because that's being facetious and nobody actually does it in reality. Nuka Zeus is an actual person who identifies as black and I see no reason to discount her personal experience and feelings because to do so would be prejudice.

I don't think you can identify as a race, thats not how race works.

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS

Sodomeow posted:

I don't think you can identify as a race, thats not how race works.

I don't see why not. Unless you also think a woman can't identify as a cat.

Super Deuce fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Dec 9, 2020

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Super Deuce, you're wrong, quit while you're ahead. Blackface is racist no matter what the context or intent behind it is, this is a side effect of minstrel shows/etc being a thing that existed. Maybe it would be more nuanced in a world where that didn't happen, but we live in one where it did. This derail is dumb and if you stop now I can avoid getting any more reports about it, and you can avoid getting probed!

Win/win!

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

ChesterJT posted:

You're insane

:shrug: i'd rather be outed as insane than a flagrant racist

i think we've demonstrated well enough itt that goons are, really bad, at social skills

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
welp this thread loving sucks now

TV IV > This thread has been downhill

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
It's a very minor bit but I always laugh at the bit at the end of the kitten mittens episode where Mac eats the contract and they all act like they've just completely owned the lawyer... before he reveals that he already made multiple copies of it like most normal people would. They're all just so pleased with themselves for a few seconds.

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures
I'd vote for the bank scene in The Gang Solve the Gas Crisis as the best Charlie-Mac-Dennis three-hander, top tier scene.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

esperterra posted:

getting any more reports about it

Good lord, in the Sunny thread? Did the show go soft? Is it us? It can't be us...

potee
Jul 23, 2007

Or, you know.

Not fine.

ChesterJT posted:

Good lord, in the Sunny thread? Did the show go soft? Is it us? It can't be us...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZS73wMx6Vk&t=48s

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

ChesterJT posted:

A sad fate tbh, literally the first reports I have ever gotten for this thread!

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
https://twitter.com/FXNetworks/status/1337170739217145862

More seasons to replace the ones that get removed for being offensive.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.
This might also mean that new episodes will be put up on Hulu the day after they air, which would be nice. They'll probably have even more leeway on profanity now too.

I'm just pulling guesses out of my rear end here, though.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Cojawfee posted:

https://twitter.com/FXNetworks/status/1337170739217145862

More seasons to replace the ones that get removed for being offensive.

Wow four seasons at once is a lot. The world will be completely different in four years time.
Has any show ever been renewed for four more seasons at the same time?
I guess FX was considering 2 or 3 and just decided to go for the record.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Dec 11, 2020

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Rick and Morty was approved for something like 70 episodes at once.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Starting to feel like the simpsons

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Ah thanks, thermostat derail avatar buddy. Yeah, that makes sense. But I honestly doubt there will be 70 episodes. It seems like Harmon is already bored of it.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

i say swears online posted:

by far the hardest i've laughed on the show is frank emerging from the couch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Lately I've been getting this sense a lot with shows that I want them to randomly get cancelled so I can be disappointed and get the gently caress over it, rather than watch them decay.

Don't get me wrong, I'm pumped every time a new season is announced and every new episode brings me to the TV, but something about four seasons

...I dunno