Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

I really enjoyed russian doll and taika waititi's work, shame they've been devoured by the mouse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Truman Peyote posted:

I really enjoyed russian doll and taika waititi's work, shame they've been devoured by the mouse

https://twitter.com/starwars/status/1337175544215965696

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

anime star wars? isn't that just cowboy bebop?

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Truman Peyote posted:

anime star wars? isn't that just cowboy bebop?

to be fair, I wouldn't mind seeing a tsutomu nihei death star

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
lol Fatman has an elon musk mention

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

matti
Mar 31, 2019

Shaggar posted:

i will say those logos are very 1990s star wars video game

same and i think its cos they know their target audience

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

haveblue posted:

there is a Samuel L Jackson Star Wars character but they’d have to call it “the bad motherfucker”

i have had it with these motherfuckin' siths on these motherfuckin' windoooooooows

drat you george lucas your naming conventions are terrible

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

this except the megastructure

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
also thinking about hellshake yano

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
thinkin about that megastructure

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-TKL3ZmRb0

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

i have had it with these motherfuckin' siths on these motherfuckin' windoooooooows

drat you george lucas your naming conventions are terrible

darth insanius

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

I watched cercle rouge and le samourai. le cercle rouge was more enjoyable as a story, because it had much more of one, but le samourai was the better film imo. samourai had great costuming, casting, and delivery such that each scene was something worth watching in its own right, and it didn't matter as much how it related to the fairly light plot that tied it all together. cercle rouge was a better story, but it leaned hard into rififi (which is great, but also do your own thing, buddy!) and while well delivered didn't make it to the same heights that samourai did for individual scenes. le samourai was just loving super well-made through and through. I don't much care to lean on "great cinematography" as part of a review but sometimes it's just really accurate. expertly executing the small details can really make a movie, and I'm impressed at what le samourai brought to the table. it didn't feel as much like an experimental crime film trying to find its feet, but rather like what happens when you give a great director a loose plot and let them run wild (yes, melville wrote and directed both the movies im talking about). I think it's focus on character over caper helped bring that out. it reminded me a bit of drive with respect to the "loose plot, individual scenes done very well" thing.

also I watched the nice guys cause someone (nmn probably) posted a gif of it and it owned. not really the same sort of film as that french noir stuff but I enjoyed it quite a bit

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica
i just read in another thread that science fiction actor tommy lister is dead

https://www.vulture.com/2020/12/fri...%20the%20scene.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
oh no jacked space obama

drat i would've guessed heart stuff like michael clarke duncan, that's like the #1 thing with huge dudes

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

oh no jacked space obama

drat i would've guessed heart stuff like michael clarke duncan, that's like the #1 thing with huge dudes

sounded like it was covid related

very sci-fi death

but yeah i miss MCD and André René Roussimoff

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

dang, rip deebo

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Truman Peyote posted:

russian doll was outstanding

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

mediaphage posted:

i really enjoyed it and not just because i like oitnb and natasha lyone in particular

it was just a good series

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

whihcever first year design student made this should drop out

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

SmokaDustbowl posted:

there was a serial killer in edmonton who really liked star wars and would cosplay star wars and transformers and that's why I've only ever been to one anime convention ever

like, while he killed people or....?

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

if disney isnt full of cowards they should get junji ito and maasaki yuusa to do episodes

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

I've never been a huge Tarantino fan but I put Once upon a time in Hollywood on as a random pick and enjoyed it a lot - I though Pitt and Dicaprio were both absolutely at the top of their game, and the slow-paced meandering light plot working up to that ending felt like 'real cinema' should, something I can't say for almost all the movies I have watched of late.

Lotta dirty bare ladies feet here though, not sure if anyone noticed.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

SmokaDustbowl posted:

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

mediaphage posted:

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

SmokaDustbowl posted:

mystes
May 31, 2006

yeah no

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

NoneMoreNegative posted:

I've never been a huge Tarantino fan but I put Once upon a time in Hollywood on as a random pick and enjoyed it a lot - I though Pitt and Dicaprio were both absolutely at the top of their game, and the slow-paced meandering light plot working up to that ending felt like 'real cinema' should, something I can't say for almost all the movies I have watched of late.

quentins foot thing is reaching die hard is a christmas movie level of discourse

im guilty of this as well

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
by now if he didn't do it people would find it strangely disappointing

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

PCjr sidecar posted:

quentins foot thing is reaching die hard is a christmas movie level of discourse

im guilty of this as well

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang is a Christmas movie.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

NoneMoreNegative posted:

it was a weird movie. excellent performances, and some great scenes, but it didnt cohere at all for me

i guess i should spoil this so

it builds up to the manson murders, but they are averted by a badass macho stuntman tripping balls who saves the day while sharon tate is oblivious eye-candy.

like, its a weird alt-history take in a bad way as opposed to inglorious basterds where its jews and women and a black dude who kill hitler

i remember thinking as it was ending that "oh now comes the denouement where it turns out that polanski doesnt become a pedophile rapist because his wife is still alive"

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

NoneMoreNegative posted:

i was laughing out loud the second or third time one of the women took off her shoes for no reason

Improbable Lobster fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Dec 11, 2020

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Carthag Tuek posted:

it was a weird movie. excellent performances, and some great scenes, but it didnt cohere at all for me

i guess i should spoil this so

it builds up to the manson murders, but they are averted by a badass macho stuntman tripping balls who saves the day while sharon tate is oblivious eye-candy.

like, its a weird alt-history take in a bad way as opposed to inglorious basterds where its jews and women and a black dude who kill hitler

i remember thinking as it was ending that "oh now comes the denouement where it turns out that polanski doesnt become a pedophile rapist because his wife is still alive"

watch our heroes brutally beat some women to death, it's okay, they were bad. trust me.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

infernal machines posted:

watch our heroes brutally beat some women to death, it's okay, they were bad. trust me.

oh yeah and shes portrayed as "a total bitch", like actively malicious and lovely and dumb as hell. way over the top

but tbh it was very funny and as nmn says, expertly done

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
a friend of mine is one of those true crime weirdos and she was legit pissed at the handling of the manson cult stuff after watching that movie

personally, i was just annoyed by the pacing after the third or fourth time we watch brad pitt drive across town for five minutes for no real reason.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

yeah the driving scenes were almost the most indulgent part lol. i have a real low tolerance for "hollywood mythology" type movies. everything i hear about Mank is good, Oldman and Fincher are extremely good, but it doesn't pique me in the least.

also ya the ending, it definitely felt to me like something was missing. some kind of thematic bow on its lack of historicity. it just explodes and then you wait for the punchline but there isn't any, which if that were the punchline, it could be done way better

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

has it been posted that harrison ford is doing yet another indiana jones movie. harrison ford is 78 years old

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
remake last crusade with him in the connery role

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Roosevelt posted:

has it been posted that harrison ford is doing yet another indiana jones movie. harrison ford is 78 years old

i don’t think it was mentioned in this thread but I mean at this point it’s gonna be really weird or they are going to do a deep fake or something

personally i liked several of those movies so i would like to just see him playing his own age

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

haveblue posted:

remake last crusade with him in the connery role

:agreed:

but so i don’t hate shia just the transformers movies

except bumblebee which he wasn’t in