Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

NihilCredo posted:

Does anybody know of an extension that lets you 'lock' or 'protect' a tab so that it can't be closed with the normal commands (ctrl-w / middle click / click on the X) until you unlock it?

edit: Pinning a tab is similar in that it turns ctrl-w into ctrl-tab, but it doesn't do what my setup needs unfortunately.
Tab pinning is the only real option, and those can still be closed by middle-clicking them.
EDIT: Related, this add-on makes the M-P keyboard shortcut (Alt-P for Windows users) available as a keyboard shortcut.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Nov 22, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zhar
May 3, 2019

Speaking of tabs I have so many of them I don't know what to do. Is there a good replacement or management addon? Offline only, I don't want to send all my browsing data to some random developer.

Second question, is there a way to copy the whole firefox profile (at least bookmarks and saved passwords) to a new windows installation easily?

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

There's two options for self-hosting sync: a python2.7 version, and one built in rust.
Either way, you'll also need a tokenserver in python2.7 or in rust.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Nov 22, 2020

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

NihilCredo posted:

Does anybody know of an extension that lets you 'lock' or 'protect' a tab so that it can't be closed with the normal commands (ctrl-w / middle click / click on the X) until you unlock it?

edit: Pinning a tab is similar in that it turns ctrl-w into ctrl-tab, but it doesn't do what my setup needs unfortunately.

I use an extension called tabloc that prevents a locked tab from navigating, but it doesn't do protection against closing.

Here's a userscript that would prevent accidental closes by giving you a prompt, the same way reddit does if you close a tab while typing in the reply box.

zhar posted:

Second question, is there a way to copy the whole firefox profile (at least bookmarks and saved passwords) to a new windows installation easily?

Easy. They're in: C:\Users\YourUsername\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\

Copy the folder in there to the new machine, and the first time you start firefox use the -ProfileManager switch to set that as your default profile.

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

zhar posted:

Speaking of tabs I have so many of them I don't know what to do. Is there a good replacement or management addon? Offline only, I don't want to send all my browsing data to some random developer.

OneTab maybe? I've been using it for years.

https://www.one-tab.com/

zhar
May 3, 2019

Klyith posted:

I use an extension called tabloc that prevents a locked tab from navigating, but it doesn't do protection against closing.

Here's a userscript that would prevent accidental closes by giving you a prompt, the same way reddit does if you close a tab while typing in the reply box.

Easy. They're in: C:\Users\YourUsername\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\

Copy the folder in there to the new machine, and the first time you start firefox use the -ProfileManager switch to set that as your default profile.

Pikestaff posted:

OneTab maybe? I've been using it for years.

https://www.one-tab.com/

Perfect, thank you! Don't think I need to mess around with a server for a one time transfer.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

NihilCredo posted:

I have good news and bad news.

The good news is that Tab Mix Plus does this.

The bad news is that it's one of the millions of extentions Mozilla hosed with Firefox 57+. I've yet to find anything that can do this. Sorry.

whose tuggin
Nov 6, 2009

by Hand Knit
Does anyone else get weird behavior when they go to this link? (Its a bing images link to a safe-for-work picture of GG Allin:

https://www.bing.com/images/search?...t=0&vt=0&sim=11

could be one of my plugins but it happens in incognito mode too

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Not sure what you mean by 'weird behaviour' but this is all I get

whose tuggin
Nov 6, 2009

by Hand Knit
Looks like it was ublock origin breaking it, never seen it break an entire site before. It would show exactly what you saw in your pic for 1 second then the entire site turned to a blank white page

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

The Scientist posted:

Looks like it was ublock origin breaking it, never seen it break an entire site before. It would show exactly what you saw in your pic for 1 second then the entire site turned to a blank white page

Weird, that's happening to me too

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
Appears to be EasyList & EasyPrivacy doing it.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

If you're as miffed about the "Search with google directly from the address bar" green text and animation as I am, then toggle the browser.urlbar.update2.tabToComplete preference.
You're also free to boggle at why it's named that, since it seems to be no link between its name and what it does.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Thanks, I kept meaning to ask about that.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.
Is there an Addon that will block videos from you tube with certain key words in them? every where I go sends me to "video blocker" and it was last updated 5 years ago, tried it anyway and it doesn't work at all no surprise.

runaway dog fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Dec 6, 2020

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

4000 Dollar Suit posted:

Is there an Addon that will block videos from you tube with certain key words in them? every where I go sends me to "video blocker" and it was last updated 5 years ago, tried it anyway and it doesn't work at all no surprise.
This purports to do such things and is recently updated. Haven't used it, don't know if it is great or a Bitcoin miner or whatever.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

4000 Dollar Suit posted:

If you want to block certain users there's the userscript Block Youtube Users. It's a bit janky, but works. Doesn't stop them from appearing in the grid at the end of videos, though.

But you can add this filter to uBlock Origin to do that: www.youtube.com##a.ytp-suggestion-set.ytp-videowall-still:contains(Linus Tech Tips)
It's case sensitive and will block unintended stuff if you're not specific enough or the channel name overlaps with other channels. Still better than seeing Linus' cursed face everywhere.

I guess you could also get creative with filters and do it all in uBO, but that seemed like way too much hassle to me.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Geemer posted:

If you want to block certain users there's the userscript Block Youtube Users. It's a bit janky, but works. Doesn't stop them from appearing in the grid at the end of videos, though.

But you can add this filter to uBlock Origin to do that: www.youtube.com##a.ytp-suggestion-set.ytp-videowall-still:contains(Linus Tech Tips)
It's case sensitive and will block unintended stuff if you're not specific enough or the channel name overlaps with other channels. Still better than seeing Linus' cursed face everywhere.

I guess you could also get creative with filters and do it all in uBO, but that seemed like way too much hassle to me.

If you're just looking to block a specific channel you can click the menu on any suggested video from that chan and use youtubes "don't recommend channel" option. This seems to work very well for stopping similar stuff too and is how I've aggressively culled shapiro / jorp et al from ever coming up.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Inceltown posted:

If you're just looking to block a specific channel you can click the menu on any suggested video from that chan and use youtubes "don't recommend channel" option. This seems to work very well for stopping similar stuff too and is how I've aggressively culled shapiro / jorp et al from ever coming up.

That'd work if I were willing to stay signed in to the google account I use for youtube and let google track everything I do on the internet through it.

I'm fully aware that I'm making this much harder than it has to be for myself. And that I probably should look into setting up that account containers addon to save myself the hassle.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.
more I want to block all mentions of cyberpunk 2077 until I finish playing it

Flipperwaldt posted:

This purports to do such things and is recently updated. Haven't used it, don't know if it is great or a Bitcoin miner or whatever.

heeey this one might be working, thanks.

runaway dog fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Dec 7, 2020

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Hey thread, so I haven't been an active contributor to this thread but have a bit of an issue I hope you can assist.

I cleared out all the cookies in my browser, V 83.0 (not passwords/logins) and now I cannot log into my bank or, oddly, Costco.

In troubleshooting, I also deleted the login/passwords and manually entered them again and still get the same error.

I also tried private browsing and oddly it's the same thing. For Costco I get an "access denied on this server" (screen grab below) and the bank I get a "this action is not allowed at this time".

I can, however, still log in to them from my other FF device tied to the same account (and on the same network).

Any idea what gives? At this stage I'm just thinking of doing a re&re of the install in hopes that does it but I'm curious as to what might be causing the problem.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

That's exactly what I get trying to access costco.ca from Europe, probably because of gdpr stuff. I'm thinking they think you are somewhere you aren't.

Are you going through a vpn or something?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

No sir. Not at all. Telus, main stream isp.

That said sometimes Costco is a little clunky on their website with logging me off automatically or whatever but I've never had this happen before.

I haven't tried another browser but I'm pretty sure it'll likely work. Just more curious as to why.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
Are you using DNS over HTTPS (DoH)? It could be that Cloudflare (Mozilla's DoH partner for North America) is returning a different IP than your ISP. You can check under the Network settings (search for doh).

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I'll take a look when I have a chance at the lunch hour. I didn't do any configuration changes on that PC at all though.... Same as the other ff pc in my house but who knows!

Appreciate the help

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Check to see if it works from other browsers on the same device. My bank website stopped working with the same sort error for me yesterday in chrome / ff but safari / vivaldi was fine. Chrome is now working but ff still busted.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

So my network settings are snipped below.

I tried using the NEW AND AMAZING WINDOWS 10 RECOMMENDED BROWSER MICROSOFT EDGE!!!!1! in private mode and it did, indeed, work with Costco. I have yet to try my bank just because I don't have my client card on me but if I had to bet, I suspect it would work.

I'm about ready to just Re & Re FF and hope that does it, but I admit I am curious as to what the deal is.

E: I also selected No Proxy radio button and same, no dice.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

slidebite posted:

Hey thread, so I haven't been an active contributor to this thread but have a bit of an issue I hope you can assist.

I cleared out all the cookies in my browser, V 83.0 (not passwords/logins) and now I cannot log into my bank or, oddly, Costco.

In troubleshooting, I also deleted the login/passwords and manually entered them again and still get the same error.

I also tried private browsing and oddly it's the same thing. For Costco I get an "access denied on this server" (screen grab below) and the bank I get a "this action is not allowed at this time".

I can, however, still log in to them from my other FF device tied to the same account (and on the same network).

Any idea what gives? At this stage I'm just thinking of doing a re&re of the install in hopes that does it but I'm curious as to what might be causing the problem.

I was getting a similar error logging into my bank (NAB) the last few days.
Turning off tracking protection for their site fixed it.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

~Coxy posted:

I was getting a similar error logging into my bank (NAB) the last few days.
Turning off tracking protection for their site fixed it.

lmao, that's the bank I was having trouble with. I have changed literally nothing in my configuration and have tracking protection on and can now log in though. This was not working this morning and just checked then to see and it's fine.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Got tied up earlier so didn't have an opportunity to play around tonight - hope to tomorrow. Thanks for the ideas.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Inceltown posted:

lmao, that's the bank I was having trouble with. I have changed literally nothing in my configuration and have tracking protection on and can now log in though. This was not working this morning and just checked then to see and it's fine.

Thanks for this, it was probably just voodoo.
I have re-enabled TP and uBlock and I don't get the 403 anymore.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

So is there a best way to uninstall FF so it gets rid of everything saved like bookmarks, cookies, etc? Or does it to it automatically?

I want to do a fresh install and just have it grab my logins, etc when I log into my FF account.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

slidebite posted:

So is there a best way to uninstall FF so it gets rid of everything saved like bookmarks, cookies, etc? Or does it to it automatically?

I want to do a fresh install and just have it grab my logins, etc when I log into my FF account.

Run Firefox's profile manager; make a new profile. That way you still have your old one around in case you need something from it.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

For what it's worth, I did a Re & Re and it's working fine now.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I just tried to open a .webp file I'd saved to my desktop using Firefox and it totally hosed everything.

I just right-clicked and chose 'open with' Firefox because I couldn't open it with XnView for some reason. When Firefox opened, it asked "Do you want to make Firefox your default browser" and all the other poo poo it does when you first install it.

All of my extensions have been disabled and I can't turn them back on - there's not even an option to do so.

All of my history and cookies seem to be gone. Even the favicons in my bookmarks are gone. Which is a tonne of fun given that most of my bookmarks are favicon only.

I've restarted Fierfox, restarted my computer and I'm not in safe mode.

Like, what the hell?

EDIT: Well, I just went to addons.mozilla and I can install new extensions and they work fine. Just for some reason everything I currently have installed is borked.

EDIT 2: So, it seems I can just download the extensions again and they remember their settings (so far!) and then I can turn them on.

So, I've managed to get back to where I started, now I just need to try and figure out why a stupid .webp did that to me and if I can ever risk opening one of them again.

poo poo I don't need at 2am on a Wednesday :sigh:

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Dec 15, 2020

karoshi
Nov 4, 2008

"Can somebody mspaint eyes on the steaming packages? TIA" yeah well fuck you too buddy, this is the best you're gonna get. Is this even "work-safe"? Let's find out!

Megillah Gorilla posted:

I just tried to open a .webp file I'd saved to my desktop using Firefox and it totally hosed everything.

I just right-clicked and chose 'open with' Firefox because I couldn't open it with XnView for some reason. When Firefox opened, it asked "Do you want to make Firefox your default browser" and all the other poo poo it does when you first install it.

All of my extensions have been disabled and I can't turn them back on - there's not even an option to do so.

All of my history and cookies seem to be gone. Even the favicons in my bookmarks are gone.

I've restarted Fierfox, restarted my computer and I'm not in safe mode.

Like, what the hell?

EDIT: Well, I just went to addons.mozilla and I can install new extensions and they work fine. Just for some reason everything I currently have installed is borked.

EDIT 2: So, it seems I can just download the extensions again and they remember their settings (so far!) and then I can turn them on.

It seems firefox has switch to a new profile? Maybe try to start the profile manager (I don't know how) and see if the old profile is still there?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
That was one of my first thoughts, too.

I opened about:profile and everything was still where it was supposed to be.

Something's corrupted on my end for something like that to happen. So, I've backed up all my bookmarks and taken screenshots all my extensions and scripts in case poo poo falls all the way over.

HexiDave
Mar 20, 2009
Make sure you don't have an old version of Firefox installed alongside the current one. I had something like this happen not too long ago and it did a lot of the same things. Maybe check what program .webp is associated with - it might point at a different FF folder.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

HexiDave posted:

Make sure you don't have an old version of Firefox installed alongside the current one. I had something like this happen not too long ago and it did a lot of the same things. Maybe check what program .webp is associated with - it might point at a different FF folder.

Oh that's a great call, going down versions will break the profile in random partial ways while leaving other parts untouched. Unfortunately that doesn't make recovery any easier.

This type of poo poo is why I've got my firefox profile included in my regular backup program. I've only had a profile get totally wrecked once in all the time I've used firefox, but it's such a giant pain in the rear end. I also intentionally made a fresh profile around v57. Even that is annoying despite being able to flip back and forth and export your stuff.

(C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles for anyone that doesn't know where to look. The stuff in AppData\Local is just cache stuff so you can ignore it.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

HexiDave posted:

Thanks. I somehow have the 32bit version installed alongside the 64bit one which I do not remember doing.

Control panel shows it was installed/updated on 27th September, which is just bizarre. But, it also shows a tonne of other programs installed/updated on that date, too. I can only think that date must have been a big Windows update because, even though I recognise all of those programs (32bit Firefox excepted), I've hardly used any of them since that time.

:hmmno: