Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I should note that the Web and Light Novels are fairly different, and the anime is based on the Light Novel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!
Yeah, I'd advise avoiding the web novel version. It's bloated as gently caress. Think they may have edited the LN down to like 60-70% text for arc 4, and it really needed that.

HppyCmpr
May 8, 2011
The way I have had it described to me is that the Web Novel is like his rough draft while the Light Novel is the refined version after edits.

I'm assuming they'll probably cover whatever the spoiler is you are talking about later in this season, since the break is forced by COVID. There was a quote from the authors twitter where he mentioned he wasn't expecting Otto to be the start of the three month break but they had to choose somewhere and they thought this would be best.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Fat and Useless posted:

So Subaru is Satella's Emilia. Very cute RE:Zero.

At this point, I'm thinking her scenario is basically Beatrice's with like 10 layers of extra complexity added on. >_>

HppyCmpr
May 8, 2011
So, one other thing I noticed is Roswaal saying he went insane 400 years ago when he looked into someone’s eyes. He must be really old, which doesn't really line up with his family passing the land down through generations. I am not sure what the life expectancy is on a powerful magic user though; so maybe it is not odd at all.

I am assuming the eyes he gazed into belong to Echidna since she mentioned something about people going insane when in her presence.
400 years ago was when the world was nearly destroyed, so maybe he was a witness to it; if so then it could have been Satella instead of Echidna.

Edit: I keep spelling Roswaal "Roswell" :doh:

HppyCmpr fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Oct 3, 2020

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I gotta say, of all the possible endings for this half-season I absolutely did not expect it to be Otto going full Fairy Tail and punching Subaru while talking about friendship. Can't say it wasn't satisfying though.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

"According to Wikipedia" there is a black hole that emits zionist hawking radiation where my brain should have been

I really should just shut the fuck up and stop posting forever
College Slice

HppyCmpr posted:

So, one other thing I noticed is Roswaal saying he went insane 400 years ago when he looked into someone’s eyes. He must be really old, which doesn't really line up with his family passing the land down through generations. I am not sure what the life expectancy is on a powerful magic user though; so maybe it is not odd at all.

I am assuming the eyes he gazed into belong to Echidna since she mentioned something about people going insane when in her presence.
400 years ago was when the world was nearly destroyed, so maybe he was a witness to it; if so then it could have been Satella instead of Echidna.

Honestly Roswell is probably the most reasonable english spelling for that kind of name.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

HppyCmpr posted:

I mean, he is the inheritor of a project designed to transfer souls/memories to new bodies...

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009
If someone had told me Otto was the best boy in this series when he first showed up I'd call them a liar.

What a good lad he is. :allears:

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Overlord K posted:

If someone had told me Otto was the best boy in this series when he first showed up I'd call them a liar.

What a good lad he is. :allears:
I would describe him as the Otacon to Subaru's Snake.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
Speaking of which, the 13th break time for season 2:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vxfbMyqaczY

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Otto channeling that "WHO THE HELL DO YOU THINK I AM?" energy really well. :kimchi:

Hocus Pocus
Sep 7, 2011

I haven't read any light novels (besides Spice and Wolf, which I really enjoyed), how are the official English releases of Re:Zero? Do they read well, or is it the sort of thing where you're constantly skimming through clunky passages?

Sazabi
Feb 15, 2014

A-MA-ZON!!

HppyCmpr posted:

99% sure it has something to do with his eyes and the make up is a distraction to hide that fact.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Finally finished this first half of season 2. To keep y'all busy while we wait for January, I can finally post these:

Brownieftw
Nov 23, 2011

Fluff master

Grouchio posted:

Finally finished this first half of season 2. To keep y'all busy while we wait for January, I can finally post these:

That last one works a little too well.

The Holy Queef
Jul 13, 2003
No, it is not gross, in fact, it's funny, yeah, think of it that way.
Author has picked up the WN again after not touching it for a year.

<del spoiler>

The Holy Queef fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Nov 5, 2020

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

"According to Wikipedia" there is a black hole that emits zionist hawking radiation where my brain should have been

College Slice
I'm not sure if its an actual WN spoiler or not but can we not in this thread as if I hit the reply button its possible if I scroll down too much it can reveal the spoiler.

The Holy Queef
Jul 13, 2003
No, it is not gross, in fact, it's funny, yeah, think of it that way.
no prob, it was just a best girl notion

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
There's a Web Novel discussion thread over here https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3933147 if you want to talk with somebody.

Boofy
Sep 11, 2001

the drat show should be about otto.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Boofy posted:

the drat show should be about otto.
He ended part 1 performing a Kamiya on Subaru. Give it a minute.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

SEASON 2 RETURNS ON JANUARY 6TH! STAY TUNED! :haw:

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
Did Ram and Petra perform a fusion dance?

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

LostRook posted:

Did Ram and Petra perform a fusion dance?
It's just the yellow glow reflecting on Ram's head.

Sazabi
Feb 15, 2014

A-MA-ZON!!
Could be a new girl named Rim. I'm getting stoked for this.

Buzzsaw Roomba
Feb 14, 2012

Christ, what an asshole.
At last, the adventures of Otto’s friend continue

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
New PV with new song.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cG68UqKqYq0

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Inject the suffering into my veins.

Also, for anyone that wants some suffering that’s even worse than RE:Zero, please check out made in abyss. I’ve never seen anything darker or more despairing.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination
https://twitter.com/iwa_to_mushi/status/1343204073567240193?s=20

Happy ending!

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
And now there's a proper PV for the next episode.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DqukP3hf474
In the vocal skit, Minerva relates to Typhon her terrifying story of accidentally walking in on Echidna and Sekhmet playing ping-pong.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I don't think Wark's allowed us to start discussing the Echidna IF yet.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
It's a side story, from what I heard from a buddy.

Don't really mind, to be honest. Of course, if it directly spoils future actual mainline novel/things that'll get covered in the anime, we can have that conversation, then.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination
i had no clue, lol. I just posted cute art.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Toalpaz posted:

i had no clue, lol. I just posted cute art.
It's alright. The floodgates have been open now. The Greed IF is basically what happens if Subaru accepted Echidna's proposal.

Wollawolla
Jan 15, 2007

Are you gonna smash my skull and breathe my blood-mist?

Grouchio posted:

It's alright. The floodgates have been open now. The Greed IF is basically what happens if Subaru accepted Echidna's proposal.

It should be noted that this side chapter takes place after Arc 5 (we’re about half-way through 4), so there could be some spoilers even if it exists in a different canon.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Yeah can we continue being careful for us anime only watchers?

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Wollawolla posted:

It should be noted that this side chapter takes place after Arc 5 (we’re about half-way through 4), so there could be some spoilers even if it exists in a different canon.

Yeah, it sort of indirectly spoils some things from Arc 4 (like in the sense of implying that things happen in the "main timeline" that didn't happen in the IF timeline). I haven't read Arc 5 and anything about Arc 5 was vague enough that it didn't really spoil that, though.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

See you guys in 4 days! To recap:

quote:

o Emilia and any half-blood demi-humans in the area are stuck at Sanctuary, the graveyard/laboratory of the late Echidna
o To remove the barrier surrounding Sanctuary, someone with qualifications must pass Echidna's three trials (facing past, present and future)
o For reasons, Emilia cannot currently pass the first trial without a mental breakdown
o For reasons, Puck cannot manifest within the sanctuary, possibly due to Roswaal's interference
o Garfiel distrusts/hates Subaru's and Emilia's presence, especially if Subaru has mentioned he passed a trial (Cause, as Ryusu revealed, he tried and failed in the past)
o Garfiel can transform into a beserk tiger mabeast and rip apart anything in his path, especially humans
o There are multiple copies of Ryusu that have been managing the Sanctuary for 400 years.
o Betty has been trapped inside her mother Echidna's library for 400 years to satisfy a hypothesis
o Betty was revealed to be the spirit responsible for the pyroxene teleportations Subaru endured.
o Any time Subaru reaches the mansion, Elsa and Maylee are obligated by contract to assassinate him, Petra and Frederica (and Ram IIRC)
o Their contractor has been revealed to be Roswaal himself.
o Roswaal has been simping for Echidna for the past 400 years in an effort to revive her.
o Roswaal is aware that Subaru can loop (inference via his Gospel), but not how it activates.
o Roswaal is forcing Subaru to optimize into a crazy ruthless chessmaster like himself.
o Roswaal is also behind the summoning of snowfall that lures the Killer Wabbits to Sanctuary to devour everyone after a few days
o Satella gets extremely pissed if Subaru talks about RBD to Echidna during tea time, and will possess Emilia to go on a rampage if that occurs.
o Emilia will eventually go insane if she tries to pass the trials in her current state.
o Subaru has recently lost his trial qualifications after turning down Echidna's proposition.
o Subaru has realized that the one who's had the least confidence in Emilia is himself. That will not do.
o Otto hates being left out of the loop.

Grouchio fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Jan 2, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

See you goons tomorrow morning. Let's do this. :gritin: