Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
Early in his writing career, Wolfe exchanged correspondence with J. R. R. Tolkien.[27]

gotta say, this is one of the more pleasant biographical wikipedia pages. this guy sounds interesting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
Wolfe owns

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Lutha Mahtin posted:

not worthless, because gene wolf rules

it was a real hard call on it because yeah

FMguru posted:

wolfe was also supposedly the inspiration for the pringles mascot character (google a pic of wolfe and see why)

i can fully believe this

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

you shouldn't give most nonprofits your money but esp not the ones that spend millions on fundraising like the wikipedia foundation

it cost $1.2 million dollars to develop this pop-up

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
Nicholas Chare, in an article titled "Sexing the Canvas", has linked Pricasso's work with statements by classic modern painters who referred to the activity of painting as a "seminal" or "spermatic" activity with sexual connotations.[25]

from the page on the guy who paints with his dick

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

pablo pricasso is a pretty great username.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Pube Low Prick rear end in a top hat

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Pablo my neg cube-hole.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Dan Aykroyd said he was inspired to create the Coneheads by marijuana consumption[1]

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
Aykroyd was born with syndactyly, or webbed toes, which was revealed in the film Mr. Mike's Mondo Video and in a short film on Saturday Night Live titled "Don't Look Back In Anger".[9]

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
By English tradition, ships have been referred to as a "she". However, it was long considered bad luck to permit women to sail on board naval vessels. To do so would invite a terrible storm that would wreck the ship.[citation needed]

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

By English tradition, ships have been referred to as a "she". However, it was long considered bad luck to permit women to sail on board naval vessels. To do so would invite a terrible storm that would wreck the ship.[citation needed]

well now i'm curious as to why there is no apparent regular wiki article on jane's fighting ships

they stopped referring to them as female several years ago, iirc

https://military.wikia.org/wiki/Jane%27s_Fighting_Ships

military.wikia.org sounds about as reputable as wookipedia

the internet posted:

Jane's Fighting Ships - Wikipediaen.wikipedia.org › wiki › Jane's_Fighting_Ships
Jane's Fighting Ships is an annual reference book of information on all the world's warships arranged by nation, including information on ships' names, ...
Missing: gender ‎| Must include: gender

did i imagine this?

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

well now i'm curious as to why there is no apparent regular wiki article on jane's fighting ships

It's there?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jane%27s_Fighting_Ships

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jane%27s_Information_Group

etc etc

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

yeah i mean i found the articles but not the reference to when it went out of vogue to use gendered terms for ships

i want to say the late 90s or early 2000s but

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

yeah i mean i found the articles but not the reference to when it went out of vogue to use gendered terms for ships

i want to say the late 90s or early 2000s but

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/ships-gender-neutral-she-scottish-maritime-museum-irvine-a8884346.html

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/apr/26/ships-she-royal-navy-language-row-female

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
I'm not British or whatever, is "Boaty" considered a gendered name there?

:confused:

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

thank you

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Pube Low Prick rear end in a top hat

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

:laugh:

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Guess Lowtax found a job at last.

UnfurledSails
Sep 1, 2011

The first Westerner known to have seen a living giant panda is the German zoologist Hugo Weigold, who purchased a cub in 1916. Kermit and Theodore Roosevelt, Jr., became the first Westerners to shoot a panda, on an expedition funded by the Field Museum of Natural History in the 1920s.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Casting_couch

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
The aluminum pole was not part of the original O'Keefe family celebration, which centered on putting a clock in a bag and nailing it to a wall.[15]

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slćgt skal fřlge slćgters gang

If a man betrothed a young woman and her parents later refused, they were liable to return four-fold the bride-price. But if she refused of her own accord, or if the wedding was not celebrated within two years, she could be re-engaged without penalty. If the man broke off the engagement, he got no refund. (§27)

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
German

To a greater degree than English does, German tends toward acronyms that use initial syllables rather than initial single letters, although it uses many of the latter type as well. Some examples of the syllabic type are Gestapo rather than GSP (for Geheime Staatspolizei, 'Secret State Police'); Flak rather than FAK (for Fliegerabwehrkanone, anti-aircraft gun); Kripo rather than KP (for Kriminalpolizei, detective division police). The extension of such contraction to a pervasive or whimsical degree has been mockingly labeled Aküfi (for Abkürzungsfimmel, strange habit of abbreviating). Examples of Aküfi include Vokuhila (for vorne kurz, hinten lang, short in the front, long in the back, i.e., a mullet) and the mocking of Adolf Hitler's title as Gröfaz (Größter Feldherr aller Zeiten, "Greatest General of all Times").

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

German

To a greater degree than English does, German tends toward acronyms that use initial syllables rather than initial single letters, although it uses many of the latter type as well. Some examples of the syllabic type are Gestapo rather than GSP (for Geheime Staatspolizei, 'Secret State Police'); Flak rather than FAK (for Fliegerabwehrkanone, anti-aircraft gun); Kripo rather than KP (for Kriminalpolizei, detective division police). The extension of such contraction to a pervasive or whimsical degree has been mockingly labeled Aküfi (for Abkürzungsfimmel, strange habit of abbreviating). Examples of Aküfi include Vokuhila (for vorne kurz, hinten lang, short in the front, long in the back, i.e., a mullet) and the mocking of Adolf Hitler's title as Gröfaz (Größter Feldherr aller Zeiten, "Greatest General of all Times").

haribo

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

adidas

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

An urban myth has promulgated the backronym All Day I Dream About Sports.[1]

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

everyone knows that stands for "all day i dream about sweatpants" :rolleyes:

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Sagebrush posted:

everyone knows that stands for "all day i dream about sweatpants" :rolleyes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=239vHrwt8Rs

also lol at the censorships in this version

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

and yet:

Milk caps (game)
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
(Redirected from Pogs)
"Pogs" redirects here. For other uses, see POG (disambiguation).

Milk caps is a game that was popular among children during the early-mid 1990s.

The brand name "Pog" is owned by the World Pog Federation. The name pog originates from POG, a brand of juice made from passionfruit, orange, and guava; the use of POG bottle caps to play the game preceded the game's commercialization.[1]

and then the entire rest of the article calls them milk caps, over and over. i assume there is a war over the nomenclature

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

and then the entire rest of the article calls them milk caps, over and over. i assume there is a war over the nomenclature

not very much of one, looks like someone unilaterally changed it throughout the article in mid-2016 solely on the grounds that pog is a trademark and they would rather it be called milk caps and no one else seemed to object

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Banks has had feuds with people including Pabllo Vittar, Grimes, Elon Musk,[112] Remy Ma,[113] Cardi B, Kim Kardashian, Kanye West, Lorde, Lana Del Rey, Marina Diamandis, Charli XCX, Lady Gaga, T.I., Iggy Azalea, Action Bronson, Lil' Kim, Skai Jackson, Rita Ora, Kendrick Lamar, Pharrell Williams, Erykah Badu, Kreayshawn, Rihanna, ASAP Rocky, Baauer, Nicki Minaj, Sia, Dominique Young Unique, Jim Jones, Beyoncé, Angel Haze, Lily Allen, RZA, SZA, Rico Nasty, Lupe Fiasco, Eminem, RuPaul, Perez Hilton, Nick Cannon, Diplo, Shea Coulee, Funkmaster Flex, The Stone Roses, K. Michelle, Shystie, Amanda Brunker, Troy Carter, Cupcakke, Mariah Lynn, DC Young Fly,[114] Disclosure, Lizzo, Kim Petras, Slayyyter, Adrian Grenier, Busta Rhymes, Dave Chappelle, Anthony Fantano and Wendy Williams, among others.[115][116]

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

The films of the phase include Black Widow with Scarlett Johansson returning as Natasha Romanoff / Black Widow, Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings starring Simu Liu, the ensemble Eternals, the untitled Spider-Man: Far From Home sequel from Sony Pictures Releasing with Tom Holland returning as Peter Parker / Spider-Man, the sequels Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness with Benedict Cumberbatch returning as Dr. Stephen Strange, Thor: Love and Thunder with Chris Hemsworth returning as Thor, Black Panther II, Captain Marvel 2 with Brie Larson returning as Carol Danvers / Captain Marvel, Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania starring Paul Rudd and Evangeline Lilly, and the ensemble Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3, along with Fantastic Four.

The television series that will be released on Disney+ as part of the phase include WandaVision with Elizabeth Olsen and Paul Bettany in the title roles, The Falcon and the Winter Soldier with Anthony Mackie and Sebastian Stan in the title roles, Loki starring Tom Hiddleston, the animated What If...? narrated by Jeffrey Wright, Ms. Marvel starring Iman Vellani, Hawkeye starring Jeremy Renner and Hailee Steinfeld, She-Hulk starring Tatiana Maslany, Moon Knight, Secret Invasion starring Samuel L. Jackson and Ben Mendelsohn, Ironheart with Dominique Thorne in the title role, and Armor Wars starring Don Cheadle. The Guardians of the Galaxy Holiday Special will also be included in the phase.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
kill me

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

every one of those things is supposed to be out before 2024 lol

i'll watch the new doctor strange and maybe shang-chi and the rest can go to hell

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

marvel up your rear end

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Sagebrush posted:

The films of the phase include Black Widow with Scarlett Johansson returning as Natasha Romanoff / Black Widow, Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings starring Simu Liu, the ensemble Eternals, the untitled Spider-Man: Far From Home sequel from Sony Pictures Releasing with Tom Holland returning as Peter Parker / Spider-Man, the sequels Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness with Benedict Cumberbatch returning as Dr. Stephen Strange, Thor: Love and Thunder with Chris Hemsworth returning as Thor, Black Panther II, Captain Marvel 2 with Brie Larson returning as Carol Danvers / Captain Marvel, Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania starring Paul Rudd and Evangeline Lilly, and the ensemble Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3, along with Fantastic Four.

The television series that will be released on Disney+ as part of the phase include WandaVision with Elizabeth Olsen and Paul Bettany in the title roles, The Falcon and the Winter Soldier with Anthony Mackie and Sebastian Stan in the title roles, Loki starring Tom Hiddleston, the animated What If...? narrated by Jeffrey Wright, Ms. Marvel starring Iman Vellani, Hawkeye starring Jeremy Renner and Hailee Steinfeld, She-Hulk starring Tatiana Maslany, Moon Knight, Secret Invasion starring Samuel L. Jackson and Ben Mendelsohn, Ironheart with Dominique Thorne in the title role, and Armor Wars starring Don Cheadle. The Guardians of the Galaxy Holiday Special will also be included in the phase.

i might watch the spiderman when it comes out on video

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
if they make a spinoff untitled spider-game, i’ll play it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

armor wars might be okay, it was a fun comic storyline 20 years ago.