Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Egg Moron posted:

I remember in like 2014/2015 there was a spate of surprising celebrity deaths and then no one famous or powerful has been able to die since

alex trebek died like two weeks ago

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

Hodgepodge posted:

that's the stuff

make me understand it. the power of the dark side

force choke my cock

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

vyelkin posted:

alex trebek died like two weeks ago

allegedly

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

lol

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
They already had a Buzz Lightyear spinoff cartoon and it was rad

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

Toy story actually takes place on a colony world of a vast galactic empire, just one among countless worlds won with the blood and fury of the superhuman space rangers and their perfect champion, the real buzz lightyear, upon whom the popular character is based

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

Ghost Leviathan posted:

They already had a Buzz Lightyear spinoff cartoon and it was rad

the latest trend with disney is bringing back poo poo from embarrassing tie ins from 20 years ago

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

giving buzz a serious backstory just further enhances how nightmarish the plot of toy story 1 is from his perspective

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

i wonder how many of relatively high ranking people who work at disney/lucasfilm/marvel have fallen for their own marketing about how powerful and important their stories and brands are

if people who work at the US state department and pentagon can believe the US really does spread Democracy around the world, some management at Disney must really believe in protecting the Magical Kingdom

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Why does homer become such a massive rear end in a top hat in season 5 of the simpsons did they get some new wtiyers

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
Jerkass Homer really kicks into high gear around Season 9, but yeah there's signs earlier on.

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Hodgepodge posted:

i was intrigued until the part about their job and then i just read it a few more times to make sure i properly understood and yeah its real dumb

I think vyelkin's joke went over your head. Fielder rules so the show might turn out really good.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Egg Moron posted:

Toy story actually takes place on a colony world of a vast galactic empire, just one among countless worlds won with the blood and fury of the superhuman space rangers and their perfect champion, the real buzz lightyear, upon whom the popular character is based

In the grim darkness of the far future, there is only Disney IP.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 246 days!

Doctor Jeep posted:

I think vyelkin's joke went over your head. Fielder rules so the show might turn out really good.

oh, okay, well if there's good faith from previous stuff then I'm down

Les Os
Mar 29, 2010
this is the type of stuff dude is usually known for

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCNsx_NyNOU

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 246 days!

Egg Moron posted:

lightyear is a genocidal colonial, which makes sense considering he's pals with woody

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I know a lot of people are down on Marvel movies, but I'm excited for the Fantastic Four and hope it is good. I just was them going up against Mole man, frightful four,, psycho man,, annihilus, namor, doom, or galatcus and the movie being good.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mr Hootington posted:

I know a lot of people are down on Marvel movies, but I'm excited for the Fantastic Four and hope it is good. I just was them going up against Mole man, frightful four,, psycho man,, annihilus, namor, doom, or galatcus and the movie being good.

You would have better odds going to Vegas and taking a massive diarrhea poo poo on the roulette wheel.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Taintrunner posted:

You would have better odds going to Vegas and taking a massive diarrhea poo poo on the roulette wheel.

Maybe, but I can hope.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
I wonder if disney announcing a bunch of titles based on old expanded universe books is in part due to them deciding they own said books after buying lucasfilm but that the contractual obligation to pay royalties didn't transfer to them and good luck beating us in court

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I'm sorry but if Disney makes a Wraith Squadron movie and/or series I'm gonna be watching it.

Rest in Power Aaron Allston.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

it's like marvel that some of them will be bad and some of them will be good and we'll probably all watch the good ones until we eventually just get sick of the whole thing; by which point disney will have bought warner brothers and they'll be announcing each of the dune prequels getting an individual miniseries

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Part of what makes Mandalorian great is that it's episodic television in an era when that's actually a novelty, in addition to the fun of a casual space western that gets to play with all the tropes without the baggage of actually being a lame cowboy show.

Hopefully the other new series follow suit and don't try to be serious serialized prestige poo poo.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

There is no way he’s not showing up long enough to get murdered (ideally by Adam Driver. I find the idea of Adam Driver murdering all of Ford’s iconic characters, freeing him from endless geek recursion, pleasing), forcing us to accept that Shia LaBeouf is the best the present can offer us.

He may also get actually killed on set, because he is old and brittle and things really like crushing him, but I can’t imagine he definitely only agreed to this because he was promised a fake death.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

He belongs in a museum home!

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

mysterious frankie posted:

There is no way he’s not showing up long enough to get murdered (ideally by Adam Driver. I find the idea of Adam Driver murdering all of Ford’s iconic characters, freeing him from endless geek recursion, pleasing), forcing us to accept that Shia LaBeouf is the best the present can offer us.

He may also get actually killed on set, because he is old and brittle and things really like crushing him, but I can’t imagine he definitely only agreed to this because he was promised a fake death.

Ford seems to actually want to do this film, but says Indy dies with him

Mr Hootington has issued a correction as of 18:57 on Dec 11, 2020

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Stairmaster posted:

Why does homer become such a massive rear end in a top hat in season 5 of the simpsons did they get some new wtiyers

Writers turned over at an insane rate during the good seasons, I think Jerkass Homer is the result of the bad writers/showrunners making their nest, refusing to leave and relying on lazy gags rather than burning out writing good ones.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

Mr Hootington posted:

but says Indy dies with him

You know those moments where the intimately tragic reality of the human condition hits you? Like, the moment you realize a parent is old and will actually die; not know it intellectually, but temporarily experience ahead of schedule the feeling of them being removed from existence? For me it happened last year when I met up with my mom for dinner and noticed she had the same deeply lined pattern of folds on her elbows as my grandmother did. Having that involuntary memory shunted me into a brief state of almost gnostic awareness that time is real, is eating my mother slowly and, once finished with her, is coming for me.

Anyways, encountering the idea that Harrison Ford actually thinks a studio gives a poo poo about his wishes vis a vis Hat-Whip and are going to retire the character, instead of recasting it or having a cgi Ford traipsing around long after he’s dead, so long as there’s money on the table, gave me a similar experience.

mysterious frankie has issued a correction as of 19:28 on Dec 11, 2020

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

I hope this new Indiana Jones is racist as hell

It's what made temple of doom really sizzle

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

Farm Frenzy posted:

giving buzz a serious backstory just further enhances how nightmarish the plot of toy story 1 is from his perspective

Like a duncan ghola coming to grips with the golden path

Fluoride Jones
Aug 24, 2009

toot toot

Egg Moron posted:

[FADE IN]

indy moves through the rafters of the coca cola factory. From them he can see several workers in the ground, immobile. Dead or merely unconscious? Indy isn't sure, nor does it make much of a difference right now. The real problem is who's moving on the floor. Chinese red army soldiers shout orders and responses at each other in mandarin. There's a sound of several coke bottles being opened at once. What follows next is horrible. They begin pouring some, but crucially not all, of the soda from the bottles. Then we hear the unzipping of flies and the bottles are filled again with Chinese urine. The Chinese soldiers place the now tainted cokes back on to the assembly line to be capped and distributed to the unsuspecting consumers of America. As they reach for another dozen or so of untouched colas Indy grand his whip

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Atrocious Joe posted:

i wonder how many of relatively high ranking people who work at disney/lucasfilm/marvel have fallen for their own marketing about how powerful and important their stories and brands are

if people who work at the US state department and pentagon can believe the US really does spread Democracy around the world, some management at Disney must really believe in protecting the Magical Kingdom

The podcast Behind the Bastards did a great episode about Elon Musk, detailing what a loving weird person he is, how much of a jerk he is to everyone he knows, and how he absolutely has bought into his own myths.

Back in the 90s, he would pull 16+ hour days to work on what he considered the most important thing in existence, and demanded that his employees do the same, because they were working on the most important project in human history, which would revolutionize the world and Change Everything.

This company, Zip2, was basically stupid internet yellow pages.

He continues to use this same "energy" to underpay people working in lovely conditions at his current companies, because they're "changing the world" and "forging the future" etc. etc. And it doesn't seem to be a cynical grab, he does seem to genuinely believe that what he's doing is important because he is the protagonist of history. It just so happens that doing this allows him to be a bastard as a result. A sincere and genuine rear end in a top hat is still an rear end in a top hat.

Similarly, I absolutely believe that the folks at Disney are huffing their own farts, and using that energy to get people working for them who "would do it for free" because "they love the company and what it stands for".

See also, comic companies, education start ups, gaming companies... Basically any company that uses enthusiasm for the medium and/or abstract social good in lieu of pay.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Egg Moron posted:

Temple of doom is wild because they got actual famous bollywood actors to star in some pretty racist roles.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amrish_Puri
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roshan_Seth

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:

Egg Moron posted:

he'll be in Vietnam fighting Vietnamese Bigfoot that the NVA weaponized and the film will culminate in him destroying the Bamboo Pentagon

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Egg Moron posted:

they're sending Indiana Jones to Vietnam

"Life is cheap in the Orient kid"

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 246 days!
it's going to perfectly thread the needle and be sterling-grade woke and appallingly racist at the same time

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

wall-e gets a pass because it trolled the hell out of my chud rear end bro in law

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Hodgepodge posted:

it's going to perfectly thread the needle and be sterling-grade woke and appallingly racist at the same time

remember when the Canadian band Viet Cong changed their name because it was offensive that they'd use the name of a terrorist group that caused people pain and trauma.

quote:

After more than a year of completely justified public condemnation, the band Viet Cong has finally changed their horribly offensive name. Going forward, they will be known as Preoccupations, as announced on Thursday. Last March, Oberlin College canceled the band’s show following outrage over the band naming themselves after the violent Vietnamese terror insurgency known for enslaving, torturing, and killing thousands of civilians during the Vietnam War. The band announced last September that they would change their name; seven months later, they actually have. “We apologize to those who were adversely affected by our former band name. This was never anticipated nor our intent,” they said in a statement. “We are artists and not politicians, we understand that the name reflected pain to some individuals and we are happy to change it and move on and focus on our music.”
https://www.vulture.com/2016/04/band-viet-cong-finally-changed-their-name.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Atrocious Joe posted:

remember when the Canadian band Viet Cong changed their name because it was offensive that they'd use the name of a terrorist group that caused people pain and trauma.

https://www.vulture.com/2016/04/band-viet-cong-finally-changed-their-name.html

and yet Panic! at the Disco get to continue taunting the victims of the Ozone Disco Fire