Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

muscles like this! posted:

The fact that it was a cheaply converted Sears was actually part of the plot. There's a scene late in the season set in the back of the church and it is full of retail fixtures they didn't bother to move out.

It's one of the greatest little details of the show.

It's always interesting how some buildings are never fully renovated when a new unrelated business moves in. There's a huge building in my neighborhood in Brooklyn that used to be a movie theater, complete with art-deco stonework on the front and everything. Now the space for the theaters is a Bounce U, the front of the building (lobby, etc) is an Asian supermarket, the offices are a CVS, and the basement is a gun range.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Empty Sandwich posted:

the only reason I ever went into my local mall was to visit my favorite game store. here is a story about that.

they'd been in the mall I think since it was built (in the 80s?), always a great tenant, robust business, all that noise. suddenly, Simon doubled their rent.

the guy who ran the place moved out, bought out his silent partner, and got a much larger storefront in a strip mall nearby, right next to an indie bookstore. now they've got room for gaming and snacks. they were thriving before covid, and started delivering games when the lockdown started.

the empty storefront in the mall (right by an entrance, primo spot) lingered for a while until eventually they moved the security office there.

I do not know what the gently caress the owners were thinking

I think it's part of the failing business cycle. At first you're aggressive with price, but if that doesn't work you start raising them because fewer customers means you need more revenue from each one. Comcast seems to be doing that now. They were really aggressive with deals a few years ago, but people continued to leave and now the prices are trending higher. I guess Comcast figures if we're still putting up with their poo poo we don't have another option and, well...they're right.

That strategy eventually fails because prices get so high there's room for another provider to squeeze in. In the gaming store example it's literally anywhere else that's not a Simon mall.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Krispy Wafer posted:

I think it's part of the failing business cycle. At first you're aggressive with price, but if that doesn't work you start raising them because fewer customers means you need more revenue from each one. Comcast seems to be doing that now. They were really aggressive with deals a few years ago, but people continued to leave and now the prices are trending higher. I guess Comcast figures if we're still putting up with their poo poo we don't have another option and, well...they're right.

That strategy eventually fails because prices get so high there's room for another provider to squeeze in. In the gaming store example it's literally anywhere else that's not a Simon mall.

That and "we have foot traffic that no one else has in the age of online sales, sure you can move to the strip mall, and then die a slow agonizing death" which is usually true except for specialty stores with dedicated customer bases and no actual competition for many miles. The walk in traffic is just gravy.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Volmarias posted:

That and "we have foot traffic that no one else has in the age of online sales, sure you can move to the strip mall, and then die a slow agonizing death" which is usually true except for specialty stores with dedicated customer bases and no actual competition for many miles. The walk in traffic is just gravy.

Yeah, foot traffic is probably a big one. Back in the 1980's and 90's a small independent business like that really benefited from being 'discovered' by people going to the mall for something else. Now you're getting word of mouth from people on the internet.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Pope Corky the IX posted:

It's always interesting how some buildings are never fully renovated when a new unrelated business moves in.

I grew up close to a little community mall that was anchored by a Zellers. For the Americans in the audience, they were like Canadian K-Mart. Maybe not as trashy as K-Mart, but they sold the orange-tag Levis if that tells you anything. (Also they were a subsidiary of Hudson's Bay Company, a corporation formed in the 1600s to exploit the fur trade, that pivoted in the 1900s to run department stores). Anyway, HBC sold off the entire Zellers chain about a decade ago, with most of them being turned into Targets for that company's disastrous expansion into Canada. The Zellers I grew up near got sold instead to Walmart, who moved all the shelves around but never redid the floor or the ceiling drop tiles or the front doors. I can still walk into that place and be taken back to shopping for my first pair of orange-tag Levis, or killing time playing the Star Wars Podracer demo with my brother, or...

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Target's complete inability to sell things to Canadians will never stop amusing me.

Like literally their inability to sell things. If I recall right, it was partly a logistics problem where they couldn't keep stores stocked with merch.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Krispy Wafer posted:

Target's complete inability to sell things to Canadians will never stop amusing me.

Like literally their inability to sell things. If I recall right, it was partly a logistics problem where they couldn't keep stores stocked with merch.

They also had higher prices than Target in the US, in places where people frequently drove to Target in the US to buy things.

I get it, but, you've gotta think really hard about that one.

bowser
Apr 7, 2007

The other problem is that Walmart Canada doesn't have quite the same trashy vibe as it does in the US. No one was willing to pay more for Target when they didn't offer a noticeably different shopping experience, except the aforementioned empty shelves.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

bowser posted:

The other problem is that Walmart Canada doesn't have quite the same trashy vibe as it does in the US. No one was willing to pay more for Target when they didn't offer a noticeably different shopping experience, except the aforementioned empty shelves.

I'm not sure Canada has as many People of Walmart as the good ol' US of A.

Beachcomber has a new favorite as of 13:23 on Dec 11, 2020

TacticalHoodie
May 7, 2007

Krispy Wafer posted:

The Sobeys warehouse I work at used to supply Target stores groceries in Atlantic Canada and it was a nightmare. When you have a bunch of stock on a shipping pallet, there are times where are mistakes or short of product requested. In 99% of cases, you just call in for credit for anything missing or wrong product and keep the pallet. Target Canada's policy was to refuse the WHOLE ORDER and not put anything on the shelfs . When Sobeys management called the Target Canada's management, Target told Sobeys that there were rumors that we were taking Target's house brands and stocking our Sobeys Stores with it (which is impossible) so they instructed their store receivers to refuse anything that was not perfect.

Target also used Canada for their trail run of SAP, a logistics and inventory tracking program, which also causes so many inventory issues that they scraped their plans to use it in the US. It costed Sobeys serveral million dolllars and years to make SAP work for us, and Target spent more money and still failed.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

bowser posted:

At least as of a few years ago, Walmart was considered fairly upmarket in Brazil because it's an American brand.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

bowser posted:

I visited Walmart in Las Vegas last year on a business trip because my colleague needed some medication and reading glasses, and honestly it wasn't any trashier than any other hypermarket I have been, our own hypermarket chains included.

This was probably one of the nicer ones, about 20 minute drive from The Strip?

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
I wandered into the one in New Orleans while I was walking around. the store was newly built and the biggest I've ever seen, which makes me wonder what the gently caress was there before.

the store itself seemed fine, but the front bathrooms were permanently trashed... just they said "gently caress it" and put up caution tape. I think people were just winging trash into the unused rooms.

the back bathrooms were fine, but I imagine plastered tourists don't think that far ahead. :shrug:

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
For what it's worth, the only time I've ever experienced an attempted mugging was in the Downtown Brooklyn Target, the one at Atlantic Terminal. It was two days after Christmas and I got the last Nintendo Switch. The loving idiot at the electronics counter loudly announced that they were sold out of Switches immediately after I left the counter, so someone ran at me and tried to grab the bag from my hand, and instead missed and stumbled for fifteen feet before running away.

EDIT: This is supposed to be one of the nicest Targets in the city.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Der Kyhe posted:

I visited Walmart in Las Vegas last year on a business trip because my colleague needed some medication and reading glasses, and honestly it wasn't any trashier than any other hypermarket I have been, our own hypermarket chains included.

You're talking about a full Walmart right, not a "Walmart Neighborhood Market"? The latter are just straight-up grocery stores.

The full Walmarts vary a lot. The ones in nice neighborhoods are usually fine, with maybe a slightly lower-class clientele than surrounding stores but you'd really have to be looking out for it to notice it. The ones in not-so-nice neighborhoods are like a shopping safari. A good litmus test tends to be how many of shelves are behind locked cases to prevent shoplifting. If all the toys are behind locks, you'll probably see some interesting fellow shoppers in that particular store.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

Wal-Mart has a lot of sins on its shoulders, but at the same time it gets a lot of undeserved flak for being the sole shopping destination of meth-smoking trailer park poor white trash. Target pretty much bases it's entire operation on that, as a matter of fact - it's just as much of an employee abusing retail hellhole as Wal-Mart, but it charges more because it has class and isn't for poors and other bougie bullshit.

You want the real poor trash experience, try Dollar General or Family Dollar. Every time I walk in one of those, a blind kid starts playing the banjo and someone remarks about my purty mouth.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Knormal posted:

You're talking about a full Walmart right, not a "Walmart Neighborhood Market"? The latter are just straight-up grocery stores.

The full Walmarts vary a lot. The ones in nice neighborhoods are usually fine, with maybe a slightly lower-class clientele than surrounding stores but you'd really have to be looking out for it to notice it. The ones in not-so-nice neighborhoods are like a shopping safari. A good litmus test tends to be how many of shelves are behind locked cases to prevent shoplifting. If all the toys are behind locks, you'll probably see some interesting fellow shoppers in that particular store.

I have absolutely no idea, it might have been one of those.

I bought a pair of jeans, and shorts and a shirt, but was bummed out that I could not play around with any guns beyond air rifles and such but that is a Nevada thing. And my colleague got his pills and the glasses so on our perspective, it was just one of the hypermarkets.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

rndmnmbr posted:

Wal-Mart has a lot of sins on its shoulders, but at the same time it gets a lot of undeserved flak for being the sole shopping destination of meth-smoking trailer park poor white trash. Target pretty much bases it's entire operation on that, as a matter of fact - it's just as much of an employee abusing retail hellhole as Wal-Mart, but it charges more because it has class and isn't for poors and other bougie bullshit.

You want the real poor trash experience, try Dollar General or Family Dollar. Every time I walk in one of those, a blind kid starts playing the banjo and someone remarks about my purty mouth.

Dollar Generals are a land of contrast. On one hand they're the worst loving places to shop. On the other, they're the only stores within walking distance for a lot of poor people.

There are tiny little towns in my state where if you have a Dollar General you're really going places. Because otherwise you're doing all your shopping at the gas station. And not even a good gas station like a QuikTrip.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

The worst walmart I've been to is the one by my old apartment in which half the shelves are empty, everything is locked up, and there is bird poo poo everywhere because a legit colony of birds lives in it

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
We went to Walmart in Cabo to stock up on water and it was basically a mall with a lot of other stores attached.

We had tried other stores first but after 3 super mercado that were just convenience stores we gave up.

Also, I'm so glad we went to Cabo in February.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
My favourite Walmart story is that they were driven out of Germany. They came in guns blazing, yeehawing over the supermarket landscape, and a few years later sold everything and hosed off.

They picked fights with literally everyone; the law, their own employees, unions, customers, suppliers, civil society in general.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Der Kyhe posted:

Walmart hasn't been a methed-up raccoon's nest posing as a retail outlet for some years now. It got to the point where the image of their stores was so bad it was hurting their profits, so they increased staff and raised wages a tiny bit to reduce turnover. There are probably still some terrible ones around here and there, but by-and-large they're just like any other big box store. It's probably just a matter of time, though until some up-and-comer executive convinces corporate they could save money by cutting back on labor costs, and it all goes back to poo poo again.

Oxphocker
Aug 17, 2005

PLEASE DO NOT BACKSEAT MODERATE

hawowanlawow posted:

The worst walmart I've been to is the one by my old apartment in which half the shelves are empty, everything is locked up, and there is bird poo poo everywhere because a legit colony of birds lives in it

If you ever want to see a real spectacle... go to the Wal-mart in Gallup, NM on the first weekend of the month. That's when +70k people come off the reservation to do all their monthly shopping. I've never seen a place so packed. They literally drop pallets of goods in the aisles wherever possible because the place is just packed to the walls. I only made that mistake a few times in the years I lived there and it was always a shitshow to get anything done that day.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

there wolf posted:

Walmart hasn't been a methed-up raccoon's nest posing as a retail outlet for some years now. It got to the point where the image of their stores was so bad it was hurting their profits, so they increased staff and raised wages a tiny bit to reduce turnover. There are probably still some terrible ones around here and there, but by-and-large they're just like any other big box store. It's probably just a matter of time, though until some up-and-comer executive convinces corporate they could save money by cutting back on labor costs, and it all goes back to poo poo again.

Wal-Mart did clean up their stores and put in nice flooring and better organized the displays and sales went down. Turns out customers like crap in the aisles and bursting at the seams endcaps. It creates a perception they're saving money versus going someplace like Target.

It is a nicer shopping experience than it used to be though. Someone finally figured out you could pay employees a bit more, reduce turnover, and save money in the long run. I'm sure they'll realize their mistake at some point and "fix the problem". My employer just boosted pay by up to $2/hour, which sounds great until you realize that means front-line associates in 2020 are making about what their predecessors made 20 years ago before retail became a race to the bottom.

Antigravitas posted:

My favourite Walmart story is that they were driven out of Germany. They came in guns blazing, yeehawing over the supermarket landscape, and a few years later sold everything and hosed off.

They picked fights with literally everyone; the law, their own employees, unions, customers, suppliers, civil society in general.

I can't imagine going into Germany and trying to compete against Aldi and Lidl on their home turf.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

bowser posted:

TBH, even knowing about how lovely Walmart is as a company, and also desiring to spend more of my money where it'll stay in Canada, I'd rather shop there than at Canadian Tire

I'm hitting the point I'd rather go to London Drugs than Canadian Tire, and London Drugs are like a world out of time. Some of them still have photo labs that develop film.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

there wolf posted:

They're doing this now at one I go to, coincidentally it just had to close cause of a COVID outbreak.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Krispy Wafer posted:

I can't imagine going into Germany and trying to compete against Aldi and Lidl on their home turf.

They didn't just get stomped by Lidl and Aldi, they really went out of their way to piss people off. Forbidding employees from having relationships (illegal), going full Stasi with informants supposed to snitch on coworkers, cultish morning chanting, forcing employees to smile at people, bagging, selling at prices below the price they bought at to drive smaller competitors out of business (pretty illegal), not working with unions, getting employees poached by Aldi and Lidl, selling products nobody wants in Germany, the list just goes on and on.

Antigravitas has a new favorite as of 23:57 on Dec 11, 2020

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Der Kyhe posted:

I have absolutely no idea, it might have been one of those.

I bought a pair of jeans, and shorts and a shirt, but was bummed out that I could not play around with any guns beyond air rifles and such but that is a Nevada thing. And my colleague got his pills and the glasses so on our perspective, it was just one of the hypermarkets.
That would be a full Walmart then, the Neighborhood Market ones are only food.

On an unrelated note if you were in Vegas and couldn't find a place to play around with guns you must not have been looking very hard.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

Antigravitas posted:

They didn't just get stomped by Lidl and Aldi, they really went out of their way to piss people off. Forbidding employees from having relationships (illegal), going full Stasi with informants supposed to snitch on coworkers, cultish morning chanting, forcing employees to smile at people, bagging, selling at prices below the price they bought at to drive smaller competitors out of business (pretty illegal), not working with unions, getting employees poached by Aldi and Lidl, selling products nobody wants in Germany, the list just goes on and on.

So, by American business as usual.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Antigravitas posted:

they were driven out of Germany.

[…]

They picked fights with literally everyone

It’s a very German story.

gloom
Feb 1, 2003
distracted from distraction by distraction

bowser posted:

Besides this, Canada also has Superstore, which seems pretty decent at least for groceries. It’s way better than the average Target I’ve been to in the upper Midwest.

Phy posted:

TBH, even knowing about how lovely Walmart is as a company, and also desiring to spend more of my money where it'll stay in Canada, I'd rather shop there than at Canadian Tire

I'm hitting the point I'd rather go to London Drugs than Canadian Tire, and London Drugs are like a world out of time. Some of them still have photo labs that develop film.
How dare you, London Drugs is great for snacks, electronics, and random household items. It’s not really meant for staple foods but has basics like pasta, rice, or coffee. Or yes, if you need to develop film for some reason. It’s not exactly good, but the sheer range of products and services they can sell in such a small space is kind of amazing and it’s pretty nice to have around if you live in say metro Vancouver without a car.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Oxphocker posted:

If you ever want to see a real spectacle... go to the Wal-mart in Gallup, NM on the first weekend of the month. That's when +70k people come off the reservation to do all their monthly shopping. I've never seen a place so packed. They literally drop pallets of goods in the aisles wherever possible because the place is just packed to the walls. I only made that mistake a few times in the years I lived there and it was always a shitshow to get anything done that day.

Haha yup, and actually its the weekends of the 1st and the 15th of the month, so you get to experience it twice if you're unfortunate. The first time I ever went to that Walmart was during one of those weekends because I had just moved to town and hadn't gotten the scoop on it quite yet. I've never seen a Walmart with every checker line open in my life before. Even then I ended up waiting close to an hour to check out. I once was coming out of that place on a Monday morning after one of those weekends and saw a double decker bus full of elderly German tourists getting off to go into the Walmart. I have no idea why they would do that but I'm sure the looks on their faces were priceless.

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.

rndmnmbr posted:

So, by American business as usual.

I am laughing at the arrogance of Wal-Mart. They did no research, and thought their bullying tactics would cause the competition and government to roll over. Guess they have to bribe and lobby the German governemnt to get their anti-union rear end entrenched there.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Really looking forward to some joyless Germans telling Musk to shove his gigafactory up his rear end because he refuses to label emergency exits or whatever dumb poo poo he's got going on.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country
Dollar Tree / Family Dollar is smart because they go in the smallest hick towns in America, places where Wal-Mart would never go.

I work for a company that does payroll support for DT and whenever I work a ticket, I can see the users info and they almost always live in towns no one has ever heard of. Places like Kosciusko Mississippi, Jena Louisiana, and Tiffin Ohio.

Dollar Tree operates what's basically a monopoly in places where major economic development is a new prison being built.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

I've talked before in this thread about how Dollar General certainly has....a lot of issues, but they serve a purpose in that they are generally willing to enter areas that have otherwise long since been abandoned by any other place that sells groceries. The Free Hand of the Market didn't materialize all the competition it was apparently supposed to, otherwise.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

AngryRobotsInc posted:

I've talked before in this thread about how Dollar General certainly has....a lot of issues, but they serve a purpose in that they are generally willing to enter areas that have otherwise long since been abandoned by any other place that sells groceries. The Free Hand of the Market didn't materialize all the competition it was apparently supposed to, otherwise.

Very true. Our little town of 800-900 is so excited about the Dollar General that popped up. We used to have a full grocery store in town, but when the owner died, the kids fought over it and it basically was destroyed from within. Eventually a much nicer grocery store was opened seven miles away, and the one in town basically became a crappy quick stop gas station with very limited selection. So when DG opened, people are happy that they don't have to travel seven miles just to get bread/milk/cokes and other random assorted goods. The closest Wal-Marts are 25-35 miles away. I can think of at least four Dollar Generals and Family Dollars that are closer than the Wal-Mart.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Silly Burrito posted:

Very true. Our little town of 800-900 is so excited about the Dollar General that popped up. We used to have a full grocery store in town, but when the owner died, the kids fought over it and it basically was destroyed from within. Eventually a much nicer grocery store was opened seven miles away, and the one in town basically became a crappy quick stop gas station with very limited selection. So when DG opened, people are happy that they don't have to travel seven miles just to get bread/milk/cokes and other random assorted goods. The closest Wal-Marts are 25-35 miles away. I can think of at least four Dollar Generals and Family Dollars that are closer than the Wal-Mart.

Yeah. There's a smallish town (about 2000 people) not far from where I live that for a while has had to have emergency bus service provided by the county to a nearby only slightly larger town about 10 miles away, because their last grocery store closed in the early 2000s. It wasn't until later that anything opened up there, and surprise, it was a Dollar General. The bus service still runs because Dollar General makes life somewhat easier, but the closest full grocery stores are still out of reach for many there.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

FilthyImp posted:

Really looking forward to some joyless Germans telling Musk to shove his gigafactory up his rear end because he refuses to label emergency exits or whatever dumb poo poo he's got going on.

Industry is IG Metall territory. That's the union with the most confidence and influence in Germany.

Now, unions in Germany are used to a cooperative relationship with companies. Afaik IG Metall approached Tesla already but were ignored. I don't know if Tesla knows this yet, but they can't prevent their labour from organising, and at their size they will likely have to allow at least one employee to spend time on worker council business. Without reducing their pay.

IG Metall does not gently caress around, so that's going to be fun to watch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet

FilthyImp posted:

And before someone goes "They wouldn't do that to a giant company", go look up German WallMart, look how it went for them.

The Germans don't give a poo poo about who and what you are, you will follow the rules!