Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

C.M. Kruger posted:

Yeah IRL hunting is also way more expensive than buying a game. Hunting license, rifle, scope, ammunition to get it zeroed in (and learn how to shoot if needed), outdoor clothing, good pair of boots, tools to disassemble the animal, deer calls, optional portable blind/tree stand, land access if you're not in a area with public land, travel costs, hiring a guide if needed, cabin rental and food if it's a multi-day trip, etc. Can easily run into the multiple thousands of dollars. (Certainly you can do it for cheaper and some of the stuff is a one-time purchase, but well, you've gotta know what you're doing)

Waterfowl hunting is even more expensive because in addition to the above you're also buying waterproof cold weather gear, trained dogs, possibly a boat, etc.

Now this is a game I would play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Ghostlight posted:

sega please. i have a family.

Yes, the children of Sunshine Orphanage! :hai:

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Xbox Game Pass is the best gaming investment I've ever made, holy poo poo. Why even buy games anymore.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

On one hand I’m glad that Dungeon of the Endless is getting a follow up, on the other hand it looks like it plays differently from the original, and it didn’t stand out from all the horde shooters at the Game Awards.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ER3dOPx0ZH0

Griefor
Jun 11, 2009

Mierenneuker posted:

On one hand I’m glad that Dungeon of the Endless is getting a follow up, on the other hand it looks like it plays differently from the original, and it didn’t stand out from all the horde shooters at the Game Awards.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ER3dOPx0ZH0

I will never understand why studios think what people want as a follow up to an inventive, well received game is a sequel/spinoff that jumps into the most overrepresented of genres instead, only keeping the previous game as a theme.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Welp, there goes 2021.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Serephina posted:

I never understood the appeal of those games. The outdoors is right there, man. Just go pull your greasy arse away from the monitor for a day. If I wanted a kiwi's mating call keeping me up at night, I only have to drive an hour or two.

edit: Sorry that may have come across wrong, I don't mean to sound gloat-y, but rather puzzlement about what the appeal of the game is. Totally leaving aside the whole murder-because-why-not of that game, 'Nature' doesn't really translate well into a video game as an end goal. It works as a dressing for some other thing, like appreciating the backdrop as you swing your sword or whatnot, the appeal of being surrounded by nature doesn't work when it's on a screen.

Hrm, guess I answered my own question there. It's varied backdrop for the murder simulator.

Well, I have an eye condition that means I see very badly in dim light, and at this time of year it gets dark where I live very early. I don't drive and I live in the UK. So I don't have access to these kinds of landscapes or wildlife. I don't shoot animals in these games, in general, I just like to explore the environments in ways I could not possibly do in real life. Not everyone can travel, especially not during these loving plague times. What an unpleasant attitude.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

I just stumbled upon this game https://store.steampowered.com/app/1447570/Monkey_King_vs_Transformers/

It apparently released yesterday yet it has no price and it's not free either. How did that happen?

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Serephina posted:

I never understood the appeal of those games. The outdoors is right there, man. Just go pull your greasy arse away from the monitor for a day. If I wanted a kiwi's mating call keeping me up at night, I only have to drive an hour or two.

edit: Sorry that may have come across wrong, I don't mean to sound gloat-y, but rather puzzlement about what the appeal of the game is. Totally leaving aside the whole murder-because-why-not of that game, 'Nature' doesn't really translate well into a video game as an end goal. It works as a dressing for some other thing, like appreciating the backdrop as you swing your sword or whatnot, the appeal of being surrounded by nature doesn't work when it's on a screen.

Hrm, guess I answered my own question there. It's varied backdrop for the murder simulator.

It's just chill to wander around virtual nature and score some kills to make numbers go up.
Pretty pictures, a mostly stress free atmosphere, and gunplay that isn't too shabby.

Don't knock it til you try it, man. :okpos:

For that matter, everyone really does need to play RDR2 at some point in their lives.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

HopperUK posted:

Well, I have an eye condition that means I see very badly in dim light, and at this time of year it gets dark where I live very early. I don't drive and I live in the UK. So I don't have access to these kinds of landscapes or wildlife. I don't shoot animals in these games, in general, I just like to explore the environments in ways I could not possibly do in real life. Not everyone can travel, especially not during these loving plague times. What an unpleasant attitude.
Night blindness sucks. A relative of mine has the same problem and it makes the winters difficult on him.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

drat, I just gave in and got Yakuza 3-5 on PS4 less than a month ago. I'll be done with 3 and 4 by the time they come out on PC, but it's going to be tempting to switch back for 5. Either way, I'm glad I can play 6 on PC at least.

Katty!
Aug 26, 2015

Chillin'

Sinteres posted:

drat, I just gave in and got Yakuza 3-5 on PS4 less than a month ago. I'll be done with 3 and 4 by the time they come out on PC, but it's going to be tempting to switch back for 5. Either way, I'm glad I can play 6 on PC at least.

i'm in the same boat, though i bought my PS4 copies ages ago - partway through 5 right now and it's absolutely the longest so it'll probably be worth it on pc for the slightly nicer graphics across the 40-hour runtime; absolutely gonna play 6 on PC since the PS4 version is pretty low res and 30fps 😬

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Sininu posted:

I just stumbled upon this game https://store.steampowered.com/app/1447570/Monkey_King_vs_Transformers/

It apparently released yesterday yet it has no price and it's not free either. How did that happen?
someone set a release date a long time ago and then never changed it. it happens all the time, mostly to abandoned games that never get finished/released

speaking of which, devolver had EITR unlisted from the Steam store

Rage McDougal
Jul 28, 2013

Deakul posted:

It's just chill to wander around virtual nature and score some kills to make numbers go up.
Pretty pictures, a mostly stress free atmosphere, and gunplay that isn't too shabby.

Don't knock it til you try it, man. :okpos:

For that matter, everyone really does need to play RDR2 at some point in their lives.

Wandering through a super pretty environment and having emergent adventures while doing a bunch of mundane cowboy simulator things sounds extremely my poo poo. Doing a bunch of Rockstar style missions where you have to follow the script exactly or you insta-fail sounds extremely not.

Is is fair to describe RDR2 as having those two components? And if so, how much does the latter get in the way of enjoying the former?

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Cardiovorax posted:

Night blindness sucks. A relative of mine has the same problem and it makes the winters difficult on him.

Yeah during the winter I have to literally carry a white cane to clue other people in to my hilariously bad eyesight. It does get people out of my way on the train though!

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Rage McDougal posted:

Wandering through a super pretty environment and having emergent adventures while doing a bunch of mundane cowboy simulator things sounds extremely my poo poo. Doing a bunch of Rockstar style missions where you have to follow the script exactly or you insta-fail sounds extremely not.

Is is fair to describe RDR2 as having those two components? And if so, how much does the latter get in the way of enjoying the former?

the vast majority of rdr2 is the nature-trail simulator, though that's a blessing and a curse

so many hours of just letting my horse clip-clop down the road or waiting for boars to shoot

and there are classical bits of rockstar immersion-breaking there too, like the omnipresent and all-knowing police force that will materialize from between the trees if you so much as bump into a random homesteader fifty miles from civilization

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Four new Yakuza games on PC? I gotta sit down

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

The first person to quote this post will get a FREE Steam key for THE BEAST INSIDE via PM.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/792300/The_Beast_Inside/

Happy Friday!

Already claimed, sorry.

D1E fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Dec 12, 2020

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

Rage McDougal posted:

if the Online thing is still five bucks just drop the five bucks and dick around on the map, if you're not doing missions it's a solid "dick around on the map" experience

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

I played a good handful of RDR1 and that was plenty for me. I'm not buying a console or a new SSD to be able to download 2 and fight with its proprietary launcher. External launchers by way of Steam have never gone smoothly for me.

Trickyblackjack
Feb 13, 2012
Didn't Cyberpunk come out yesterday? Some people who left reviews already have over 24 hours in the game jfc

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Trickyblackjack posted:

Didn't Cyberpunk come out yesterday? Some people who left reviews already have over 24 hours in the game jfc

It unlocked Wednesday night but yeah some people have been going hard

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Trickyblackjack posted:

Depends on your location, but lotsa people were playing in Wednesday. Like you could play 7PM EST on Wednesday on PC.

But yea wtf, game is good but go outside [assuming you don't live in like NYC or some super dense area] holy poo poo. I don't care if there is a pandemic, do something else lol.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

*laughs in Genshin*

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Sab669 posted:

Depends on your location, but lotsa people were playing in Wednesday. Like you could play 7PM EST on Wednesday on PC.

But yea wtf, game is good but go outside [assuming you don't live in like NYC or some super dense area] holy poo poo. I don't care if there is a pandemic, do something else lol.

You can't make me.

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...

Blattdorf posted:

None of you posted the most GAMER trailer of the event.

I like how they're starting to riff on the "Mario Dies!" trope in these trailers.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Has anyone here played Helium Rain? It's a sci-fi economy sim with realistic physics, and the idea of a smaller, focused X3-esque game intrigues me.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Palpek posted:

Xbox Game Pass is the best gaming investment I've ever made, holy poo poo. Why even buy games anymore.

At least once a page someone asks about buying a game on Steam that's included in Game Pass. It's truly heartbreaking.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

StrixNebulosa posted:

Has anyone here played Helium Rain? It's a sci-fi economy sim with realistic physics, and the idea of a smaller, focused X3-esque game intrigues me.

It was in that itch bundle but I never got around to trying it

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

RBA Starblade posted:

It was in that itch bundle but I never got around to trying it

Yes, I'm going through that bundle now and that's how I found it. But I want to know how it plays! I'm shy about starting bigger/complex games unless I know they're cool.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I got about 10 minutes into Helium rain (docked with first station in tutorial) before my eyes glazed over and had the thought that maybe... this isn't a 'game' in the traditional sense. I played a bit of X3, so it both hardened me to the experience and also caused bit of PSTD.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Pleads posted:

At least once a page someone asks about buying a game on Steam that's included in Game Pass. It's truly heartbreaking.

Buying a game and having Game Pass are two very different things. Game Pass is fine for some genres, but terrible for others.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
If the nintendo thread is anything to go by, goons =hate gamepass by default cause they don't get to own the game they pay a sub for. And this is for snes games that are like 5 hours in length on average.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

It's always a nonsense argument because you could just... buy the game if you're really worried about it disappearing, meanwhile all the other games you would have spent money to play remain on Gamepass.

chglcu
May 17, 2007

I'm so bored with the USA.

StrixNebulosa posted:

I hadn't heard of it until you mentioned it, and it sounded interesting, but the deadlocked shipyard stuff mentioned in this review seems particularly problematic for an X-style game to me: https://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197963404506/recommended/681330/

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

StrixNebulosa posted:

I found it extremely shallow. It's kind of nice for a bit, but in the end you spend most of the time in a (pretty shiny) GUI for ordering your ships around. There is very little actual flying in space, and a realistic approach is, well…a bit boring.

It intrigued me for a few hours and then I never played it again.

It also doesn't help that X4 exists, which fixed a lot of design issues X3 had. You can get to the fun stuff much faster now and it's completely fine if you don't deal with most of the empire management stuff. (The out of control terraforming robots may overwhelm large chunks of the galaxy if you don't intervene eventually, though)

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Game pass costs more than I spend on games when parsed annually. Not everyone uses Windows. Not every title is available, so you'll find yourself losing on both fronts. Steam's refund policy takes the risk out of purchasing.

And most of all, I still listen to my Thriller cd. I can't imagine how much it would have cost me to still be paying for music decades later, especially with the risk that a service goes tits-up, and you end up with nothing. This isn't hypothetical; GameSpy died and any title that used it is unplayable nowadays unlike their contemporaries.

So sure, enjoy the service if rentals are your jam, just don't act like it's the only logical choice.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Pleads posted:

I like to own games, instead of rent them. I have no desire to see the Blockbuster model for video games return to my household.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Antigravitas posted:

I found it extremely shallow. It's kind of nice for a bit, but in the end you spend most of the time in a (pretty shiny) GUI for ordering your ships around. There is very little actual flying in space, and a realistic approach is, well…a bit boring.

It intrigued me for a few hours and then I never played it again.

It also doesn't help that X4 exists, which fixed a lot of design issues X3 had. You can get to the fun stuff much faster now and it's completely fine if you don't deal with most of the empire management stuff. (The out of control terraforming robots may overwhelm large chunks of the galaxy if you don't intervene eventually, though)

wait wait wait X4 is good now? As in, actually good?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
I did gamepass for like a year and never played anything on it but I tend to just play a couple games at a time and just buy them so I can play at my leisure. Even at a dollar I didn't feel like I got my money's worth, so certainly not paying $10 or whatever it is now. I also just hate the xbox app, I would rather play all the free games I get off epic than use that thing.