Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

fawning deference posted:

Did Jagr, then?

Nope, Jagr has only won the Hart once in 98/99. He won Stanley Cups each of his first two years in the league win the Penguins but was a secondary threat on both teams not breaking the ppg mark either year. His revelation as a world class player came in the lockout year where he finished with 70pts in 48 games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Twin Cinema posted:

This active goalie thing is really making me dig deep into the rolodex of my brain.

Is it someone dumb like Brian Elliott?

IT IS

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.

Like I said in my edited post I never would have guessed Elliott was ever good enough to hit 40. But, he hit it exactly.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Twin Cinema posted:

Like I said in my edited post I never would have guessed Elliott was ever good enough to hit 40. But, he hit it exactly.

Hence me saying he's underrated. He's had a very fine career. Talk about underrated, Jaro Halak has 272 wins and 50 shutouts.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

ThinkTank posted:

Nope, Jagr has only won the Hart once in 98/99. He won Stanley Cups each of his first two years in the league win the Penguins but was a secondary threat on both teams not breaking the ppg mark either year. His revelation as a world class player came in the lockout year where he finished with 70pts in 48 games.

So we've got:

1. Gretzky
2. Messier
3. St. Louis
4. Orr
5. Lafleur
6. Clarke
7. Sakic

I think that's it, right?

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Since we have some people in the thread hanging, let's do a fun/maybe easy one.

Besides Gretzky/Lemieux/Orr, name the 14 players to hit 85 assists in a single season. This is more of a "let's see how fast this goes" than a hard one...

1. Steve Yzerman
2. Paul Coffey
3. Nikita Kucherov
4. Joe Thornton
5. Adam Oates
6. Jaromir Jagr
7. Ron Francis
8. Peter Forsberg
9. Pat LaFontaine
10. Bryan Trottier
11. Doug Gilmour

Also gently caress it, 2nd one too: Since 1990, only four goalies have amassed 40 losses in a single season. Name them.

fawning deference fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Dec 11, 2020

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Besides Gretzky/Lemieux/Orr, name the 14 players to hit 85 assists in a single season. This is more of a "let's see how fast this goes" than a hard one...

Yzerman, Coffey, Bourque, Kucherov, Thornton (with Cheechoo), Adam Oates (with Hull), Jagr, Ron Francis, Forsberg, Backstrom (with Ovechkin).

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

I know Yzerman hit 100, because my favourite question to ask hockey people (that's too easy for this thread) is to name the player who's 14th on the single season points leaderboard, since 1-13 are all Gretzky/Lemieux.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

AsInHowe posted:

Yzerman, Coffey, Bourque, Kucherov, Thornton (with Cheechoo), Adam Oates (with Hull), Jagr, Ron Francis, Forsberg, Backstrom (with Ovechkin).

Backstrom did not hit 85 assists and neither did Bourque. Thornton did twice, not just with Cheechoo. 6 left.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

tinstaach posted:

I know Yzerman hit 100, because my favourite question to ask hockey people (that's too easy for this thread) is to name the player who's 14th on the single season points leaderboard, since 1-13 are all Gretzky/Lemieux.

Stevie did not hit 100. His best year was 65 goals and 90 assists.

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

Oh whoops, I thought he got 165 points not 155. I'm bad at trivia!

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Backstrom did not hit 85 assists, the others did. Thornton did twice, not just with Cheechoo. 5 left.

Pat LaFontaine (Mogilny), Trottier (Bossy), Doug Gilmour (in 1993)?

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

AsInHowe posted:

Pat LaFontaine (Mogilny), Trottier (Bossy), Doug Gilmour (in 1993)?

All correct. 3 left.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

The goalie losses question should be interesting, it's not easy.

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

My first guess was someone from the Capitals' first season, but nope, Ron Low went 8-36-2 and two other goalies combined to go 0-31-3.

VVVV In addition to trivia, I'm also terrible at reading.

tinstaach fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Dec 11, 2020

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

tinstaach posted:

My first guess was someone from the Capitals' first season, but nope, Ron Low went 8-36-2 and two other goalies combined to go 0-31-3.

Haha jesus those records. The question is since 1990 - the record is Gary Smith's 48 in 1971. There have been 4 40-loss goalies since 1990 though, that's the era. And we still have 3 85-assist players to guess.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

1. Steve Yzerman
2. Paul Coffey
3. Nikita Kucherov
4. Joe Thornton
5. Adam Oates
6. Jaromir Jagr
7. Ron Francis
8. Peter Forsberg
9. Pat LaFontaine
10. Bryan Trottier
11. Doug Gilmour

Also gently caress it, 2nd one too: Since 1990, only four goalies have amassed 40 losses in a single season. Name them.
Dionne? Stastny? Esposito? Clarke?

Gobias Ind.
Apr 5, 2007

If your girlfriend says hey to me that's our girlfriend now idc
No idea who it actually was but I gotta believe the Sens starter in their expansion year had to have lost 40.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely
Man the goaltenders must be from the 90's.. I can't see anyone getting 40 enough run to lose 40 games in the modern NHL. My first thought was Steve Mason but he never even got close to 40 losses lol

I have one for you fawning! (since your asking all the questions so far)

The lowest point total for any player to lead his team in scoring this year was 43 points by Adam Henrique for the Anaheim Ducks. That's pretty sad, although it did take place in a shortened season. Believe it or not over the previous 6 seasons (since the 2012-13 lockout abridged season) 43 points is not the lowest total for a player to lead their team - and those were full 82 game seasons!

My question is if you can name every instance of a player leading his team in scoring having registered less than 50 points in the last 6 full seasons. There are 9 such instances on record. If you can give the player and the team he did it for that's great, but I will accept just naming the players too :) The time period is from the start of the 2013-14 season to the end of the 2018-19 season.

some of them might be pretty easy to guess, others I would say even fans of the team in question may have wiped from their memory :D

If it's too difficult to do, I will happily give years and teams as hints :)

Starsfan fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Dec 11, 2020

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Spring Break My Heart posted:

Dionne? Stastny? Esposito? Clarke?

Stastny and Clarke, yes!

There is one more to get!

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Starsfan posted:

Man the goaltenders must be from the 90's.. I can't see anyone getting 40 enough run to lose 40 games in the modern NHL. My first thought was Steve Mason but he never even got close to 40 losses lol

The lowest point total for any player to lead his team in scoring this year was 43 points by Adam Henrique for the Anaheim Ducks. That's pretty sad, although it did take place in a shortened season. Believe it or not over the previous 6 seasons (since the 2012-13 lockout abridged season) 43 points is not the lowest total for a player to lead their team - and those were full 82 game seasons!

My question is if you can name every instance of a player leading his team in scoring having registered less than 50 points in the last 6 full seasons. There are 9 such instances on record. If you can give the player and the team he did it for that's great, but I will accept just naming the players too :) The time period is from the start of the 2013-14 season to the end of the 2018-19 season.

some of them might be pretty easy to guess, others I would say even fans of the team in question may have wiped from their memory :D

2 of the 40-loss goalies are from the 90's, 1 is from the 00's and 1 is from the 10's!

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Starsfan posted:

Also this is a good question. I'm sure there are some Coyotes on this list!

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

I will guess Derek Stepan (very recent, hard to know the year but I'll guess 18-19) for Arizona? I'll also guess Nate MacKinnon in his rookie year for that poo poo Avalanche team?

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

So we've got:

1. Gretzky
2. Messier
3. St. Louis
4. Orr
5. Lafleur
6. Clarke
7. Sakic

I think that's it, right?

Yup! Sakic in 01 and Clarke in 75 were the last couple. I have some serious Mandella effect when it comes to Forsberg because I could've sworn I'd heard it discussed multiple times that he won the Hart and the Cup in the same year and he was such a leader, but nope he only won the Hart in 02/03 when the Avs were eliminated by the Wild in the first round :lol:

I was also prepared to have someone call me on my lead statement where I said Lemieux is the only player to win the Hart and miss the playoffs. That's TECHNICALLY correct, but arguably no longer the case. Draisaitl won the award this year and the Oilers failed to make the final 16 after losing to the Hawks in the play-in. However, the league ruled that making the play-in counted as making the playoffs for record keeping and streak purposes (pretty much entirely to ensure that the Pens playoff drought didn't end) so Draisaitl 'made the playoffs' and won the Hart in a year when he his team did not appear in a playoff game.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

I will guess Derek Stepan (very recent, hard to know the year but I'll guess 18-19) for Arizona? I'll also guess Nate MacKinnon in his rookie year for that poo poo Avalanche team?

your logic is sound narrowing in on the Coyotes, but the name is wrong unfortunately.

And Colorado is one of the surprising teams that despite having some objectively awful clubs, never seemed to struggle for having a couple guys fill up the net. MacKinnon is incorrect :)

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Starsfan posted:

your logic is sound narrowing in on the Coyotes, but the name is wrong unfortunately.

And Colorado is one of the surprising teams that despite having some objectively awful clubs, never seemed to struggle for having a couple guys fill up the net. MacKinnon is incorrect :)

Ekman-Larsson?

I would guess Palmieri but he led with 50 even last year.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

The Coyotes haven't been able to score for years and I know Schmaltz and Keller were racing to see if they could hit 50 last season, but I guess that's not a full year. I'd guess that no one did it for them in 18/19 either, so Keller for the Coyotes?

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

Ekman-Larsson?

I would guess Palmieri but he led with 50 even last year.

quote:

The Coyotes haven't been able to score for years and I know Schmaltz and Keller were racing to see if they could hit 50 last season, but I guess that's not a full year. I'd guess that no one did it for them in 18/19 either, so Keller for the Coyotes?

Two Correct Answers!!!

T2. 2014-15 Arizona Coyotes - Oliver Ekman-Larsson - 43 points
T2.
7. 2018-19 Arizona Coyotes - Clayton Keller - 47 Points

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

So we have:

ONE more player with an 85-assist season.

FOUR goalies with a 40-loss season post-1990.

EIGHT MORE instances of players who have led their team in scoring with less than 50 points in the last five years.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Starsfan posted:

Ekman Larsson is a correct answer!

T2. 2014-15 Arizona Coyotes - Oliver Ekman-Larsson - 43 points
T2.

I'm sure the Devils had someone. Like the 17-18 Devils were a nightmare. Also Buffalo pre-Eichel for sure. I just barely remember anyone from those teams.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

I'm sure the Devils had someone. Like the 17-18 Devils were a nightmare.

it is very possible :)

**for clarification the question is over the last **6** full seasons.

2013-14
2014-15
2015-16
2016-17
2017-18
2018-19

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

The Wild in the early part of the 2010s couldn't score at all, so maybe Mikko Koivu or Dany Heatley somewhere between 2011 and 2014?

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Starsfan posted:

it is very possible :)

Did Elias lead that team?

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

ThinkTank posted:

The Wild in the early part of the 2010s couldn't score at all, so maybe Mikko Koivu or Dany Heatley somewhere between 2011 and 2014?

Question is within the last 5 years.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

I'll guess Dylan Larkin too.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Oh the Panthers in 2013? 2014? Before Huberdeau and Barkov came along. So um Vince Trocheck?

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

Elias and Larkin are not correct answers

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

ThinkTank posted:

Oh the Panthers in 2013? 2014? Before Huberdeau and Barkov came along. So um Vince Trocheck?

Within 5 years

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Question is within the last 5 years.

It was last 6 full seasons which presumably skips last year and the 2012/13 lockout year?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

ThinkTank posted:

It was last 6 full seasons which presumably skips last year and the 2012/13 lockout year?

yeah this is correct.

I will say that you picked the correct team in the 2013-14 panthers, but the wrong player :D