Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

mastershakeman posted:

The interludes between action, especially with the iranian colonel, were so much better than anything in extraction. I somehow cared way more about these swat guys than hemsworth

The 'no u' discussion between the Major and Colonel was great, especially how it had no effect at all on how the two dealt with each other afterward, it was just something habitual to do.

I wonder if the Moroccan film industry somehow convinced the goverment to bomb one of their own cities to rubble just to have a set for all the Mid-East War movies for the next decade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
Everyone always recommends Avengement for Adkins movies and this thread is awesome for Suggestions, but I hated that movie.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

morestuff posted:

They already did one with Evans, Apostle. I didn’t like it that much

That was very blatantly a skilled action director trying to prove he can do a film without fifty knife fights and sort of succeeding. It wasn't bad but it was weirdly paced. I think his sense of pacing needs horrific violence to punctuate it. It wasn't quite interesting enough to work as a normal, non action/horror film, but it also wasn't crazy enough. I do appreciate when directors try to leave their comfort zone though.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

CeeJee posted:

The 'no u' discussion between the Major and Colonel was great, especially how it had no effect at all on how the two dealt with each other afterward, it was just something habitual to do.

I wonder if the Moroccan film industry somehow convinced the goverment to bomb one of their own cities to rubble just to have a set for all the Mid-East War movies for the next decade.

Is that where it was filmed? They did a great job convincing me they were in iraq

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

mastershakeman posted:

Is that where it was filmed? They did a great job convincing me they were in iraq

From what I can find the opening scenes of the ruined city are of Mosul. Which makes sense, you cannot send a full crew and cast there practically but good drone footage can be done easily.

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008
Took me three days, but I watched The Assignment. Kinda super boring and ugly. I saw the premise which seems like it was one of those weird 80s comedies like the one with C Thomas Howell in blackface and Walter Hill directing, so i thought it'd be wild and interesting at least.

It's not really.

Michelle Rodriguez unfortunately can't carry and movie, and she definitely wasn't help by some excruciating comic book dialogue. Even Sigourney Weaver was bad in it. Just all around kinda crappy.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Here's what I watched recently. Love and Monsters was one of my favorite movies of the year, and it is tagged "Action," but it's not an action movie.

The Crow (1994) - 4/5, HBO Max
I've been listening to the soundtrack to this movie for 20 years but I had never seen it. The Crow rules, it's maybe the best movie ever made.

Eric Draven sends his regards

Mulan (2020) - 2/5, Disney+
Watchable and light as a story, with nothing offensive but also very little in the way of interesting decisions. Way too many "single character standing in front of a green screen" shots. Action editing was atrocious, and since I was watching this first as an action fan, that was a huge negative for me.

But the biggest sin of all was wasting one of the coolest character designs I've ever seen, Li Gong's Xianniang, on much too small a part. She was such a badass, just make a movie about her killing dudes.

Embattled (2020) - 3.5/5
Stephen Dorff plays ten-years-from-now Conor McGregor in this excellent MMA drama. I was honestly surprised at how affecting the story is. While the fight parts are not played as realistically as they are in the also-great MMA movie Cagefighter, and there aren't that many of them, there are several other ways in which Embattled is extremely true-to-life in its depiction of MMA.

I was skeptical going in that they could make Dorff's Cash Boykins as awful as McGregor, but they put the gas down and truly manage to make you hate the man from beginning to end.

The plot beats along the way are a little contrived taken as a whole, but are believable enough moment-to-moment to get me invested in the film.

There's also a surprisingly poignant portrayal of Williams syndrome, with the brother of the main character being the actual son of the film's writer with the condition. It adds a lot of authenticity to the story.

As an MMA fan I was able to get a little extra out of those elements, but I wouldn't let that stop me from giving a strong recommendation to this film based on the family drama elements.

Fatman (2020) - 1.5/5
The premise "Richie Rich hires Walton Goggins to kill Mel Gibson Santa Claus" sounds almost like the perfect movie to me, so I was very surprised to find out that I did not enjoy Fatman very much at all.

Kayfabe kills this movie. This is a R-rated movie that is hamstrung by the "magic of Santa," causing neck-breaking whiplash in tone over and over again. How can you write a movie with a premise like that and have nobody talk you out of not making it a straight comedy? Plus there are way too many subplots jammed into a movie that only runs 90 minutes.

Gogginsmania is running wild here and he's having the time of his life, at least. And Mel Gibson has some good moments. But they can't save the writing/directing combo here that does the film in.

Also, not enough action.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

Narzack posted:

Took me three days, but I watched The Assignment. Kinda super boring and ugly. I saw the premise which seems like it was one of those weird 80s comedies like the one with C Thomas Howell in blackface and Walter Hill directing, so i thought it'd be wild and interesting at least.

It's not really.

That movie was so infuriating. The only thing interesting about it was its potential as a throwback exploitation flick, but it just wanted to be boring and not engage with its trashy premise at all.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:
I wouldn't call it a full action movie but Triple 9 is on Netflix now. Its a pretty bleak cop movie by the director of The Proposition and The Road but has some decent action set pieces and acting.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

bob odenkirk is john wick now??????????

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8j6P8QtAYw

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Boco_T posted:

The Crow (1994) - 4/5, HBO Max
I've been listening to the soundtrack to this movie for 20 years but I had never seen it. The Crow rules, it's maybe the best movie ever made.

Eric Draven sends his regards

A very cool film and like you say, the soundtrack is pretty loving great too.

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008
I was a youngster when it came out, but it was the ultra coolest goth masterpiece, right?

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Narzack posted:

I was a youngster when it came out, but it was the ultra coolest goth masterpiece, right?

Yeah buddy!

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Funny how at the time The Crow and Boondock Saints seemed like they fell into the same category but obviously now that I'm over 30 one of them still seems really good and the other not so much.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Basebf555 posted:

Funny how at the time The Crow and Boondock Saints seemed like they fell into the same category but obviously now that I'm over 30 one of them still seems really good and the other not so much.

Brandon Lee is someone who I genuinely think would have been a megastar. He obviously had the looks and the physicality, but the crow shows he's a much better actor than was needed for the dopey action films he did prior (great dopey action films, obviously. Rapid Fire is a minor classic)

I always assumed that he died in the scene where he's shot a bajillion times, but it was a scene that isn't really in the movie, it was his character's murder. It helps explain why we never really see that incident, why it's just an impressionistic montage. I always assumed that was a deliberate choice, since it simulates a traumatic memory so well.

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008
Yeah, the first time I saw the Crow-three years ago- i was impressed how naturalistic his acting was. I was expecting some kind of arch, comic book style performance, but i was wrong.

The way he says he's not invulnerable anymore-

"I was. I'm not anymore."

So good

Narzack fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Dec 11, 2020

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Narzack posted:

Yeah, the first time I saw the Crow-three years ago- i was impressed how naturalistic his acting was. I was expecting some kind of arch, comic book style performance, but i was wrong.

The way he says he's not invulnerable anymore-

"I was. I'm not now."

So good

The scene where he spontaneously laughs as halloweening children run past him is real good too. It also takes a good actor to make a line like 'Mother is the name of god on the lips of children' work. It's a good line, but imagine Sam Worthington trying to say it.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

The crow is so so good. It’s also a solid reminder that it is possible to make a sincere and earnest movie based on a pretty out there premise, and that it’s not necessary to include quips and irony to remind the audience not to take it too seriously.

It’s a movie that’s perfectly happy to wallow for a while in angst, melancholy, or sappiness without immediately going out it’s way to apologize and change the tone.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

YOLOsubmarine posted:

The crow is so so good. It’s also a solid reminder that it is possible to make a sincere and earnest movie based on a pretty out there premise, and that it’s not necessary to include quips and irony to remind the audience not to take it too seriously.

It’s a movie that’s perfectly happy to wallow for a while in angst, melancholy, or sappiness without immediately going out it’s way to apologize and change the tone.

It's also quite short and to the point, with a minimum of sub plots and distractions.

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008
It can't rain all the time.

I don't know how to link videos with the app, but i really like the track called Return to the Grave, especially the stuff starting at 2:20

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Plus it has the line:

"Somebody already bought me dinner - THE POLICE!"

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008
"What's all this happy horse poo poo?"

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Narzack posted:

The guy's entire struggle with the Yugo is amazing. Plus the contrast between how small and cheap that car is and how big and fancy T-Bird's car is.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL

Narzack posted:

Is THAT where this line came from? I have still never seen The Crow since I felt like it could never live up to the hype and have just kind of avoided it (I will rectify this idiocy soon) but I've been using this awesome line for a couple decade now.

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008

Inspector 34 posted:

Is THAT where this line came from? I have still never seen The Crow since I felt like it could never live up to the hype and have just kind of avoided it (I will rectify this idiocy soon) but I've been using this awesome line for a couple decade now.

Ha! I actually had the same experience! One of my older friends saw it, and told us about it, and it just kept on. Then i finally saw the movie and where the line came from.

You're in for a treat, man. It's a good movie, especially since, as someone said a few posts ago, it's entirely sincere and non-ironic. It's not quite a Blade-type action extravaganza, but it's good.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Narzack posted:

[The Crow]'s not quite a Blade-type action extravaganza, but it's good.

I actually appreciate The Crow's kinda understated action. In a modern movie, the fight against Tin Tin would have gone on for ten minutes and be caught in the hell of over-choreographed and under-directed, in the movie as is it's a perfect scene to establish that Eric is pretty much goth Terminator.

And while The Crow is no Blade action-wise, I wonder how much influence the optics of the main character had on Blade. The Crow rocked a leather coat four years before it became cool.

Unrelated, I watched The Night Comes for Us on the thread's recommendation and was thoroughly entertained. The final fight is hilarious in how vicious it is, it reminded me of Fist of the North Star in the best way.

Looking forward to Taslim as Sub Zero.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
The comic version of Blade had been in leather for a while.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
This dude Ahmet Atalay made a 37-minute action movie with $15K and a three-person crew and I thought it was pretty drat good. Obviously all the effects are done in After Effects or whatever and the seams are very visible, but the ideas are there and you basically get to watch a solid half hour of only awesome poo poo happening. Worth your time.
https://vimeo.com/426646990

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
What the Christ? They've already rebooted Ip Man?

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca

Inspector 34 posted:

It’s a public domain story based on a real person so anyone can make their own version, I think

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Inspector 34 posted:

They've been multiple other films about him, the real person, just while Donnie Yen's been making his.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Huh, well thanks for the info. I guess since the new movie is also titled Ip Man that it was a remake of the same series/story.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Inspector 34 posted:

Huh, well thanks for the info. I guess since the new movie is also titled Ip Man that it was a remake of the same series/story.

It's all good. Just while Donnie Yen's been making his, we've also had Wong Kar Wai's the Grandmaster, Ip Man - The Final Battle with Anthony Wong and Ip Man - The Legend is Born with Dennis To. And those are just the ones I've seen and can remember off the top of my head. It's kind of like how we're never more than a couple of years away from another unrelated Robin Hood or King Arthur film

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Ip Man is similar to Wong Fei-hung, they're actual guys who turned into folk heroes with outlandish legends built up around them. Kinda like Wyatt Earp or Wild Bill Hickock.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
There was an IP Man tv show as well, a couple of years back.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Snowman_McK posted:

It's all good. Just while Donnie Yen's been making his, we've also had Wong Kar Wai's the Grandmaster, Ip Man - The Final Battle with Anthony Wong and Ip Man - The Legend is Born with Dennis To. And those are just the ones I've seen and can remember off the top of my head. It's kind of like how we're never more than a couple of years away from another unrelated Robin Hood or King Arthur film

The Grandmaster rules.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I never thought the Donnie Yen Ip Man movies were very good.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Lurdiak posted:

I never thought the Donnie Yen Ip Man movies were very good.

The first one is great, but it works more as a hybrid of action and historical epic. After that I have to agree that they're pretty inconsistent, although I'd say they're all worth watching.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

The first one is the worst one. It's nationalist to the point of being uncomfortable, and there's weird tonal shifts all over the place. Donnie Yen isn't a very charismatic guy in my view and he can't carry the necessary emotional weight such a dark story needs. In every scene he's being massively out-acted by random comedy actors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I can agree with that. I thought the first one was OK but boy it had some Canon-levels of nationalism in it. They all kind of have that tint to it but the subject matter, in my opinion, in 2 and 3 aren't as dark or heavy. They came off as sillier in those two films so I enjoyed them more because of it. I've not seen 4, though.