Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

Lawnie posted:

Do... do you use an electric coffee/spice grinder for weed?
It's useful if you're baking edibles. It's kind of overkill for smoking personal quantities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stangg
Mar 17, 2009
I feel like you're going to lose a lot of kief using an electric grinder even if you're doing large amounts, there's debate about whether you should even use a hand grinder.

If we are talking edibles I prefer to decarb by vaping and collect it over time, it is the funnest way.

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012
This was asked a few pages back by someone else and I wanted to bump the question as I too am wondering the same thing.....

What is a good quality Vacuum sealer?

I've poked at everything from Amazon and Webstaurant trying to research what to get. I don't trust 90% of reviews and am struggling to pull the trigger on one. Any thoughts? Thank you

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

Tiny Chalupa posted:

This was asked a few pages back by someone else and I wanted to bump the question as I too am wondering the same thing.....

What is a good quality Vacuum sealer?

I've poked at everything from Amazon and Webstaurant trying to research what to get. I don't trust 90% of reviews and am struggling to pull the trigger on one. Any thoughts? Thank you

I bought the cheapest Foodsaver they make on Woot like five years ago and it's still going strong for me.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah just get whatever foodsaver is most convenient to buy

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
the cheapest one with least features is the way to go

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

I would say make sure whichever one you get has a manual seal button. We used to have one that would only seal when it reached full vaccuum. Sometimes it would take forever for the seal function to trigger or it wouldn't seal at all.

Switched to one with a separate seal button and there's been times where it's reached full vaccuum and wouldn't auto seal but hitting the button will seal it up.

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

Also get the foodsaver that lets you lay your bag flat, I got the model Costco sells where you have to awkwardly hold the bag up in order for it to suck and it's pretty annoying.

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read
I saw some chat a few pages back, but I've been staring at 'air fryers' and convection toaster ovens for a while now and I can't seem to make up my mind. I read over the wirecutter article that just says get a convection toaster oven because its the same thing but more functional etc.

Looking for something that's like $200 tops and that is able to live on my counter. I see Breville and Cuisinart mentioned a lot but I'm clueless on model numbers.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
Ultra Carp

halokiller posted:

you have to awkwardly hold the bag up in order for it to suck

:haw:

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Well gang, the time has finally come to replace the family microwave! Our current one is literally older than me, and while it still technically works, it’s not nearly as powerful as a modern-day unit and it doesn’t have a turntable. It still turns on, it still heats up our food (if slowly and unevenly), and to be quite honest I’m gonna be really sad to see it go... but I think it’s time to move on to a newer model.

What stand-alone microwaves do y’all like?

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

Spring Heeled Jack posted:

I saw some chat a few pages back, but I've been staring at 'air fryers' and convection toaster ovens for a while now and I can't seem to make up my mind. I read over the wirecutter article that just says get a convection toaster oven because its the same thing but more functional etc.

Looking for something that's like $200 tops and that is able to live on my counter. I see Breville and Cuisinart mentioned a lot but I'm clueless on model numbers.

What are you trying to do with it? We have a halogen convection oven and that thing will air fry a whole chicken and costs < $100. Probably wouldn't work well for toast though.

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read

bamhand posted:

What are you trying to do with it? We have a halogen convection oven and that thing will air fry a whole chicken and costs < $100. Probably wouldn't work well for toast though.

Toasting would be nice so I can ditch my toaster, but that aside just cooking smaller dishes quickly, like roasting veggies and not having to wait 30 min for my regular oven to do it’s thing. A rotisserie function would be awesome as well? Not sure how common they are.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Yeah, ours I think only would work for stuff you'd normally bake but want crispier. And you want more capacity than most air fryers.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

My wife is sick of our toaster and we do a fair amount of small-batch baking/roasting, so I'm thinking I want to get a toaster oven. I'm heavily leaning toward the Breville Smart Oven as that seems to be the consensus automatic pick, but I see that there's now a version that has "air frying" capability for $100 more. The normal one already has a convection function, so what's the big deal with the air fryer bit? I doubt it's worth $100 more but could be convinced.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!
Sauciers! I have a 3 qt one that's older than me and I love the shape of -- a Wear Ever 38943 (https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/vintage-wearever-stainless-clad-1845153534 is the same item). I'm watching eBay for one because the handle on mine is giving up the ghost after a half-century, but can anyone recommend one with nice curved sides and not too fancy/heavy?

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Does Le Creuset make good wooden cooking utensils?

My dad wants a wooden utensil set that comes with a spatula. I know not all wood kitchen things are created equal, and I already got him another Le Creuset thing and I figure it’d be neat to color-coordinate with that if I can.

Bo-Pepper
Sep 9, 2002

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

Fun Shoe
I don't know if Le Creuset does off hand but I personally like the look of these - https://www.earlywooddesigns.com/collections/wood-cooking-utensils

They're definitely the sort of thing I would never spend that much money on myself but sit right in the pocket of being a nice gift.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012
Do they make a wooden spatula? All i can find are their silicone-headed ones which aren’t what i would consider a wooden spatula, which is for scraping a stainless steel or cast iron pan. You might want to check what your dad’s actually asking for. Anyway i like the GIR silicone spatulas since they have just the right amount of stiffness, but if you must have a wooden handle the le creuset are probably fine.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

I. M. Gei posted:

Does Le Creuset make good wooden cooking utensils?

My dad wants a wooden utensil set that comes with a spatula. I know not all wood kitchen things are created equal, and I already got him another Le Creuset thing and I figure it’d be neat to color-coordinate with that if I can.

I really like Jonathon's Spoons, its all cherrywood stuff.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

My wife got me one of the early wood sets for Christmas and I like it so far.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I like getting cheap poo poo bamboo spatulas because when you scrape a lot of fond off the bottoms of cast iron the spatula eventually wears down

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Steve Yun posted:

I like getting cheap poo poo bamboo spatulas because when you scrape a lot of fond off the bottoms of cast iron the spatula eventually wears down
Yeah, same. And they're something I use enough that I want to have several on hand so I just buy the sets of three or five or whatever with slightly different shapes that you can find in like every Asian market.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Ok I asked my wife to get me the Krups.

I don't know if there's a general Amazon thread, so I'll ask here since I figure a lot of these purchases probably come from Amazon.

My wife ordered the grinder, plus another gift for me. However, Amazon said it got delivered on Tuesday last week. The mail room in our apartment didn't have the package, so my wife contacted Amazon and they said they'd send another. Then the next day, the original package actually did end up arriving, so my wife contacted Amazon and they said they'd cancel the replacement. However, over the weekend we also got the replacement!

Are we supposed to send it back at this point? I figure if Amazon never brings it up then we'll just ignore it. So I wanted to see if anyone else has had a similar experience and what ended up happening to them.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

hypnophant posted:

Do they make a wooden spatula? All i can find are their silicone-headed ones which aren’t what i would consider a wooden spatula, which is for scraping a stainless steel or cast iron pan. You might want to check what your dad’s actually asking for.

I did, and...

CORRECTION: He wants a set with a wooden SCRAPING SPOON, not a spatula!

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!

Eeyo posted:

I don't know if there's a general Amazon thread, so I'll ask here since I figure a lot of these purchases probably come from Amazon.

My wife ordered the grinder, plus another gift for me. However, Amazon said it got delivered on Tuesday last week. The mail room in our apartment didn't have the package, so my wife contacted Amazon and they said they'd send another. Then the next day, the original package actually did end up arriving, so my wife contacted Amazon and they said they'd cancel the replacement. However, over the weekend we also got the replacement!

Are we supposed to send it back at this point? I figure if Amazon never brings it up then we'll just ignore it. So I wanted to see if anyone else has had a similar experience and what ended up happening to them.

IANAL but general talk that I've heard is that if something is sent to you, addressed to you, it's yours.

Anecdotally, Amazon has done the exact same thing you described here for me, but with a robot vacuum and the service rep told me to keep it. Previously they sent me entirely the wrong item and the rep would not tell me how to send it back, so I got some free ice packs that way.

e: in retail parlance, in your case the item has already been shrunk out of inventory and written off, they likely don't care at all about recovering it.

Solanumai fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Dec 22, 2020

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Eeyo posted:

It's yours dude. I ended up with six bike wheels one time because Amazon was over 2 weeks late delivering each individual package. The 3rd set arrived before the first two did.

Flunky
Jan 2, 2014

Eeyo posted:

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I got my ATH M50 headphones from an amazon box that just showed up to me. Even though the law was on my side, I tried to contact Amazon about a return, but figuring out how to return something I didn't order was impossible on their site so I kept them and am quite glad I did.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
I have place settings for six because I ordered four individual place settings from amazon and one of them came with a busted teacup. I contacted them and explained the problem. They said they'd send another place setting. I pointed out that only the teacup was broken, and the teacup was something they sell separately. They said they can only send replacements with the same SKU as the damaged item, so they'd send another place setting. Which they did. Which arrived with a busted teacup. Which they fixed by sending another replacement place setting. Which finally had another intact teacup.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

you do not have place settings for six if you cannot serve all guests their tea <:mad:>

Shroomie
Jul 31, 2008

Eeyo posted:

Every time one of my packages have gotten lost they just refunded me and told me to keep it if it shows up eventually.

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007
So has humanity came up with a toaster in the last 30 years that doesn't suck?

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Before I ditched it for a toaster oven this thing worked pretty drat well for two slices at a time.

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B00F5NUOH6/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_E494FbRFJR9TW

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I've been thinking about getting an Instant Pot for a while. I have a basic Zojirushi rice cooker that I never use, but I like the idea of tossing in random veggies/meat and having a healthy tasty stew in 15 minutes. Yesterday, I ordered a this Instant Pot Viva 6 qt since it was on sale for $50. According to Instant Pot's website, it's equivalent to the Duo Plus but with an old LED display instead of LCD. Is this something I'll be happy with for 5+ years or should I look into a nicer model?

I went to Costco later and they had the Ninja combination pressure cooker and air fryer for $120 down from $150. I passed because it seemed overpriced and poorly designed, but it did get me thinking about combination units and air fryers.

I like the idea of an air fryer but I fear my diet would entirely become french fries, mozzarella sticks, and chicken fingers. Also, I'm not a fan of single-purpose gadgets/appliances, especially ones that take up a bunch of space on your counter. Maybe a toaster oven with convection feature would be better?

Regarding combo units, I felt the Ninja had a poor design because air fryer heating element in the lid was fully exposed to pressure cooker steam and this seemed like a major point of failure, not to mention I couldn't see the O-rings for the pressure cooker seal. Is this something to actually worry about and/or should I even consider combination units?

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Dec 24, 2020

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

The instant pot should be fine for a long time, you just need to deep clean or replace the rubber sealing ring every once in a while if/when it starts to smell. For $50 you could do a hell of a lot worse.

You can buy an attachment for the instant pot that turns it into an air fryer. Does take up a lot of space, but not any more than a separate air fryer would. My understanding is that it's serviceable but not exceptional for that function. I don't have personal experience with it though.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

You aren’t going to have a stew ready in 15 minutes in an instant pot. I feel like no one talks about how long electric pressure cookers take to get to pressure

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year
Yeah, I switched to a Kuhn Rikon stovetop model from an electric, and it gets to pressure a lot faster.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

DangerZoneDelux posted:

You aren’t going to have a stew ready in 15 minutes in an instant pot. I feel like no one talks about how long electric pressure cookers take to get to pressure
Even 30 minutes would be fine. It's the idea of being able to throw in random poo poo with minimal prep and effort and get out a decent result.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

15 minutes of cook time, probs not, but you can throw together quite a few things for an instant pot with 15 mins of actual work. The cook time is 100% passive, which is one of the major pluses of it.

I make quick chicken + rice all the time and now that I have it down I can usually get a week's worth of meals prepped in less than 10 minutes of actual work