Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Electric Phantasm posted:

I only watched Winx once or twice, but yeah that is absolutely different from what I remember. Like the original show was some animated kids show that aired on Kids' WB if that gives you an idea.

Winx is a joint Italian/American production that's run since 2004. It's its own small institution at this point. Nickelodeon of all companies helped revive it after its original 5 year run and there's a comic of it that's been running in Italy since the series premiered.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winx_Club

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

Larryb posted:

What’s wrong with the the other two seasons then?
The second part of season 2 relies on a tired "cops vs. super-heroes" plot and the final villain is a character that was there, in the background of the season, but only really does stuff in the final 2 episodes. When compared to the 2 previous big bad, who are pulling the strings and enacting their plans for pretty much the whole (half-)season, they really come off as an afterthought.

The third season changes the format for 11-minutes episodes and a focus on comedy. It never reaches the best moments of the previous seasons and it comes off as random a lot of the time.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Xelkelvos posted:

Winx is a joint Italian/American production that's run since 2004. It's its own small institution at this point. Nickelodeon of all companies helped revive it after its original 5 year run and there's a comic of it that's been running in Italy since the series premiered.

I remember watching a shitload of it on 4Kids TV (and I think it was on the Fox Block before that?), and the theme song was a banger.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9h7-gVdOfn4

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Xelkelvos posted:

The word "help" is highly contested.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Dec 12, 2020

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I've been rewatching the old 90s cartoon based on The Mask. It's got some interesting ideas for how the Mask interacts with it's alter egos depending on who uses it. Those which ambitions but nothing to hide, like Dorian in the movie and Pretorius in the cartoon, just lose any pretense that they do have of what they are. They don't really change mentally, they are still doing the same poo poo they would otherwise, only on bigger scales due to having magic powers. As a result, if they survive, they become far worse. Pretorius's plans get more needlessly pointless and destructive and messy after his stint with the mask makes him realise that he really isn't in it for the science, he really is just a dickhead. And rather than having an epiphany, he just leans into it, with his plans going from his initial ambitions to power up his henchman to outright destruction of edge city for increasingly flimsy returns on his investment..

Those who have ambitions but are too anxious to follow through, like Stanley of course but also Evelyn find the mask a therapy tool, allowing them to admit to themselves who and what they truly wish to be. Evelyn becomes way more outgoing after her turn with the artefact allows her to admit her love to Stanley, resulting in her admitting it unaided while holding Pretorius at mortar-point to save Stanley in the climax, but it backfires on Stanley because with her confidence she's confident enough to call him out on his problems controlling Milo (when he complains her her dog pooped on his carpet, she simply retorts that Milo was obviously making her uncomfortable and nervous and that he was too dumb/unobservant to notice). These people become the best versions of themselves but don't change much internally, they just become more able to stand up for themselves. Hell, when Stanley gets high-energy there are moments where the Mask's mannerisms come out a little in his normal life, although they are distinct enough that they are still HIS mannerisms.

Then those with no ambitions, like Dr Neumann[spoiler], become kind of a mess. [spoiler]Neumann doesn't want anything, he already HAS everything he wants out of life and is pretty satisfied except for feeling tired of his duller patients and annoyed with Stanley's appointments too. So his mask latches onto the most interesting patient he gets, who just so happens to be Pretorius, and he has such a weak mind that he is easily talked over by him. Without the drive that comes with wanting something, the Mask is generally weaker. Also because it's the antithesis of Dr Neumann's true self he loses himself to it's chaos - he is a man basically without an Id, so when he gets one he doesn't know what to do with it. Even his voice is so different as the Mask that it's unsettling - the Mask is a more confident Stanley, but Dr Neumann's voice as the mask is constantly pitch shifting and going to weird tones because it's unnatural for him to be like that, while in the others the Mask brings out what's naturally there.

I thought that was interesting. There are a few jokes that have aged very poorly, though most of it is fine.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
The only thing I really remember about Winx is that everytime I see it, it takes me a moment to realize it's not W.I.T.C.H.

Anyway I'm gonna talk about Korra now. Been rewatching for a while now, Yakuza 7 forced a huge time off during book 2, and I'm 2 episodes from finishing Book 3 now

Book 1: It's super solid. There are many hiccups but the highs make up for it for me. I can totally see the issues outweighing the positives, tho. The fights are *incredible* but the villain force is kept in the shadows for so long that they don't carry the weight they could. Mainly thinking about the fight with the lieutenant on the glass ceiling, it's amazing but we don't get to know him really until the last episode. Tarrlok's storyline is kinda messy; he's just kinda evil at first and doesn't mesh that well with how he's depicting himself later on in hating his father. Mako, oh god Mako, the main thing is that he doesn't get his comeuppance for the nasty poo poo he'll pull from time to time. Like, there's too much he does that should be punished but he weasels through to be "hot jerk romantic interest" even as he's kinda at best just into emotionally compromised women. The show is absolutely addicted to tv drama dialogue, specially ending scenes with "i am saying... somethign important. *beat*". Oh and the councilmen are straight up this simpsons gag https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYbnB5toqRI
Amon is amazing, tho. His goals being the same as when he's a kid, but with all compassion gone is pretty good. The last 14 minutes of the end of book 1 are incredible. Korra is a pretty nice lead here as she learns empathy. There's some real good crime drama bits here and there, even if the show will get better by dropping them.

Book 2 is a disaster. But now I can appreciate what they're going for. Korra gets a teacher that speaks her language in training martial arts, somoene that's open to her, helps her gets results pretty fast, and is related by blood. Team Avatar slowly starts falling apart as everyone deals with their issues, and Bolin is left alone without any clear goals anymore. Tenzin has to come to gripes with his shortcomings as a spiritual leader and a family man before he's ready to reconnect with Korra. Too bad we don't really get any moments of training so Korra just looks stupid for letting Unalaq destroy a local government and take over the south, everyone in team avatar is being an rear end in a top hat, and specially Bolin is a terrible, terrible human being in the first half, and it's sounding like Aang was a piece of poo poo to his kids. The animation is interesting, first half by Studio Pierrot, some incredible sakuga, but it starts melting as it reaches their end. When Studio Mir returns, everything gets better. It feels like the show's course correcting as hard as it can, but even if you do Bolin saving the president to the beat of his propaganda movie, it's too late to amke me like Bolin, the damage's done. Avatar Wan was rad, it's just a good tale, man, and I kinda wanna play more in the setting of humans only living on lion turtles. Giant Korra does a V-TRIGGER into an F5 and finishes off with the One Inch Punch, hel yeah. Varrick was surprisingly super good the whole time, tho. The way he manipulated everyone was clear but it was done well enough you could take his word for it. Mako still isn't getting enough poo poo for his awful, awful behavior. (but the scene where they're on the boat and korra is beating up a dummy while bolin asks Mako when he'll tell her that they broke up is awesome, the expressions are delicious). Episode 3 is easily the worst episode of the franchise, and while the great divide is bad, it's entirely standalone while a ton of pivotal poo poo happens in here. Seriously a loving armed occupation and she's like "hm idk". Cut the civil war and harmonic convergence and you'd have a leaner, stronger story.

Book 3 holy poo poo this one rules. It captures the vibe of ATLA Book 2. Mostly earth kingdom travels. While the past 2 books had big tight plots that required too much time to dwell and explain, here there's about five important events holding everything like tentpoles, leaving plenty of times for characters to breathe and act in the current situation (like in book 2 of atla). The villains in here are kinda like Zuko's side of book 2 atla, scraping by with their wits, taking losses and being compelling. Mako finally gets teh appropriate amount of poo poo for his poo poo; we open the book on him literally sleeping on his desk because of how ashamed he is to be near his two exes, several scenes he's forced to interact with them and his awkwardness is pulp-like, and there's just an appropriate amount of karma whenever he pulls poo poo. Zaheer and the gang are just so drat enjoyable in their moveset, relationships and general personality. Korra's frustrations are far more relatable than last time. The fights are a step up from last time with how engaged to the characters we are. Every character is so drat enjoyable now. I adore Mako and Bolin's family. It's just really, really good.

tl;dr book 1 has issues but i like it, book 2 has good ideas but executed horribly, and book 3 feels like ATLA but with a modern edge, super good.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

I was only barely outside of the target audience for Winx when it aired, I guess? I would've been maybe 14 when it aired but I was still enjoying such as Yu-Gi-Oh and beginning to take a critical eye towards children's media but it's always super looked like trash to me

But the above post makes me realize I don't actually remember the difference between Winx and W.I.T.C.H. so uh, yeah, I guess I can't cast broad strokes

But I also enjoyed Cubix and Medabots and Fighting Foodons as contemporaries and I recall either Winx or WITCH or both feeling like the poor man's Sailor Moon

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

BioEnchanted posted:

I've been rewatching the old 90s cartoon based on The Mask. It's got some interesting ideas for how the Mask interacts with it's alter egos depending on who uses it. Those which ambitions but nothing to hide, like Dorian in the movie and Pretorius in the cartoon, just lose any pretense that they do have of what they are. They don't really change mentally, they are still doing the same poo poo they would otherwise, only on bigger scales due to having magic powers. As a result, if they survive, they become far worse. Pretorius's plans get more needlessly pointless and destructive and messy after his stint with the mask makes him realise that he really isn't in it for the science, he really is just a dickhead. And rather than having an epiphany, he just leans into it, with his plans going from his initial ambitions to power up his henchman to outright destruction of edge city for increasingly flimsy returns on his investment..

I do need to watch more of that. I'm posted elsewhere about the episode where the Mask gets split in half, and one of the only cases where you see the Mask and Stanley directly interacting with each other- while the other half ends up on a former school bully Stanley is understandably scared of given the abuse he's implied to have suffered(and that explains a lot). But the bully has actually been trying to change his ways, being in contact with a psychiatrist (maybe also Dr Neumann?) and recognising his urges to hurt people are a bad thing, that have actually caused him to suffer consequences and almost ruined his life. As a result, the former bully is outright horrified as his Mask side is a murderous sociopath, compared to Stanley's mask side being a gadfly at best who wants to take him out to party. The former bully afterwards compares the experience to 'staring into the abyss' and seems even more determined to make a clean break from his past, and Stanley seems to sympathise.

It's surprisingly in-depth at times for a cash-in 90s cartoons, and actually seems to draw from some of the themes in the original comic, but making it a bit more interesting by having a sympathetic person dealing with their own mental baggage rather than an rear end in a top hat who becomes more of an rear end in a top hat. ...kinda like Broly, come to think of it. They're even both green.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Sockser posted:

I was only barely outside of the target audience for Winx when it aired, I guess? I would've been maybe 14 when it aired but I was still enjoying such as Yu-Gi-Oh and beginning to take a critical eye towards children's media but it's always super looked like trash to me

But the above post makes me realize I don't actually remember the difference between Winx and W.I.T.C.H. so uh, yeah, I guess I can't cast broad strokes

But I also enjoyed Cubix and Medabots and Fighting Foodons as contemporaries and I recall either Winx or WITCH or both feeling like the poor man's Sailor Moon

Medabots was actually legitimately good though(discounting the terrible second series that is)

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Medabots was the parody of Pokemon-Clones that was itself in absolute love with being a Pokemon-Clone.

That it had an earthboundish feel to it helped, I'm sure.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I remember a lot of fun from the Medabots dub. There's an episode where a bunch of busybody parents try to get Medabots banned for corrupting the youth, and the referee who shows up everywhere. Also Metabee's VA doing his best Shaft impression for a tiny merchandisable robot.

Also having probably the most completely ridiculous evil villain team and henchmen anime has ever seen.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

I cant wait for the upcoming bluray. I checked medabots fansubs a few years ago and the music is better, but the sarcastic narrator really elevates it.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

W.I.T.C.H. has the better theme song.

I loved that show a lot more.

https://youtu.be/ldyraUyiU-A

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I remember a lot of fun from the Medabots dub. There's an episode where a bunch of busybody parents try to get Medabots banned for corrupting the youth, and the referee who shows up everywhere. Also Metabee's VA doing his best Shaft impression for a tiny merchandisable robot.

Also having probably the most completely ridiculous evil villain team and henchmen anime has ever seen.

One thing I liked was that they didn't overdo it with localizing it, like they fully acknowledged that the show was set in Japan, hell when the show did an episode centered around Takoyaki(aka Octopus Balls) they kept them as Octopus Balls in the dub instead of pulling a "Jelly Donuts" type of thing like a lot of shows in that era would have done

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

MorningMoon posted:

Cut the civil war and harmonic convergence and you'd have a leaner, stronger story.
What kind of plot do you get if you cut both of these ?

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I remember from the early days of Youtube, I determined that the italian opening for Medabots was the best one, although the english opening has a real neat rock sound.

The anime is legitimately fun and funny and good. It's really great. What's confusing though is that the show itself was brought over to America first as part of the post-pokemon anime craze, and so they kinda flubbed at bringing over the merchandise and the video games that the show was actually based on, they only brought over one of mainline games, a remake of the second game for the Gameboy Advance. There's actually 9 games in the series that was still going as of 2015. There's also been side games that are a different kind of weird, like a really horny game for the DS in 2016.

If you know japanese or get a chance to play the one mainline game that was translated into English (not AX), do it. It's real neat. It's also real weird. Just like the show is weird and fun beyond just the existence of robots that everybody battles with. As I matured and grew tired of Pokemon, I appreciated Medabots more, at least what little we got before they kinda broke everything and made Metabee into a transformer.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

SlothfulCobra posted:

I remember from the early days of Youtube, I determined that the italian opening for Medabots was the best one, although the english opening has a real neat rock sound.

The anime is legitimately fun and funny and good. It's really great. What's confusing though is that the show itself was brought over to America first as part of the post-pokemon anime craze, and so they kinda flubbed at bringing over the merchandise and the video games that the show was actually based on, they only brought over one of mainline games, a remake of the second game for the Gameboy Advance. There's actually 9 games in the series that was still going as of 2015. There's also been side games that are a different kind of weird, like a really horny game for the DS in 2016.

If you know japanese or get a chance to play the one mainline game that was translated into English (not AX), do it. It's real neat. It's also real weird. Just like the show is weird and fun beyond just the existence of robots that everybody battles with. As I matured and grew tired of Pokemon, I appreciated Medabots more, at least what little we got before they kinda broke everything and made Metabee into a transformer.

It helps that Ikki is actually fairly competent as a main character, though admittedly that's not hard to do when you have Ash as the main model for the Mons genre, seriously it's amazing in retrospect how much of an incompetent dumbass Ash is as a Pokemon Trainer, he loses all the time, he barely catches any Pokemon ever, and he's constantly releasing them too, and he's not even particularly likable or funny to make up for being a moron who is bad at their occupation

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

drrockso20 posted:

It helps that Ikki is actually fairly competent as a main character, though admittedly that's not hard to do when you have Ash as the main model for the Mons genre, seriously it's amazing in retrospect how much of an incompetent dumbass Ash is as a Pokemon Trainer, he loses all the time, he barely catches any Pokemon ever, and he's constantly releasing them too, and he's not even particularly likable or funny to make up for being a moron who is bad at their occupation

I was reading someone's comments on the Pokemon Sun & Moon anime (which is apparently really good) the other day, and they commented that Ash almost certainly does things wrong all the time so that kids can call him out on it based on their knowledge of the games.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Rand Brittain posted:

I was reading someone's comments on the Pokemon Sun & Moon anime (which is apparently really good) the other day, and they commented that Ash almost certainly does things wrong all the time so that kids can call him out on it based on their knowledge of the games.

Admittedly I haven't watched any of the anime since the Diamond/Pearl era so maybe they figured out how to make that actually charming to watch in the seasons since, but I just remember back then finding it mildly infuriating how much Ash sucked as a trainer(I especially remember how obnoxious it was that back in Kanto he only won like 3 of his Gym Badges legitimately)

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I liked Pokemon the show better back when nobody knew it was going to become such an amazing hit and the show kinda bullshitted a bunch of things that are absolutely unsupported by the games.

And then after they changed the Elite Four into a tournament arc that Ash doesn't even get that far in, they kinda reached the pinnacle of making random poo poo up with the Orange Islands, where the pokemon look different, it's entirely original characters, and the gyms don't even have normal matches.

The comics went even farther. Pikachu's Boogaloo featuring a sunken city, a giant Haunter that killed Sabrina's pokemon, a flying Snorlax destroying orchards, and just a general weird atmosphere with a whole lot of details. Pokemon Adventure made half the gym leaders part of Team Rocket engaged in smuggling pokemon and then later made the Elite Four into eco-terrorists trying to wipe out humanity. It was a hell of a ride.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

drrockso20 posted:

Helps that Ikki has different kinds of challenges. His own thing starting out is that he knows drat near everything there is to know about Medabots- he's the one who provides the rundown on every new Medabot that shows up- but doesn't have one himself because his mom won't buy one for him and cash is tight. The only one within his price range is an old obsolete model literally on the bargain rack, and that doesn't come with a Medal. (the AI core for the things, basically, that houses the software) Then he literally stumbles on a mysterious Rare Medal, hastily buys the cheap 'bot body to respond to an emergency, and the rest is history.

Instead, a lot focuses on Ikki and Metabee butting heads, since Metabee doesn't really follow any orders he doesn't want to. (But happily does chores when Ikki's mom asks nicely) Everyone loves a sassy robot.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

There's also the fun side characters. Ikki's best friend is an aspiring reporter who wants to use him to get a story, there's the chick salesman who constantly gives really inspirational advice by accident while trying to convince people to buy a chick, there's Rokusho who's a cool peaceful loner robot, and there's the helpful meda-store worker who is almost certainly the phantom renegade who is definitely later the masked medafighter except for when he's clearly given the mask to another regular character as a ploy to not get caught by the police.

It was a fun show.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

SlothfulCobra posted:

I liked Pokemon the show better back when nobody knew it was going to become such an amazing hit and the show kinda bullshitted a bunch of things that are absolutely unsupported by the games.

And then after they changed the Elite Four into a tournament arc that Ash doesn't even get that far in, they kinda reached the pinnacle of making random poo poo up with the Orange Islands, where the pokemon look different, it's entirely original characters, and the gyms don't even have normal matches.

The comics went even farther. Pikachu's Boogaloo featuring a sunken city, a giant Haunter that killed Sabrina's pokemon, a flying Snorlax destroying orchards, and just a general weird atmosphere with a whole lot of details. Pokemon Adventure made half the gym leaders part of Team Rocket engaged in smuggling pokemon and then later made the Elite Four into eco-terrorists trying to wipe out humanity. It was a hell of a ride.

Pokémon Special is legit great and even the gym leaders being part of Team Rocket makes sense in context since(if memory serves right) in the games, all the cities the leaders are from have some capacity of Team Rocket presence in them. It also helps that all of the leads were competent trainers in varying fields(Red - Battling, Blue - Training, Green - Evolving, etc.). Some years ago it actually won an award at Comic-con.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

SlothfulCobra posted:

There's also the fun side characters. Ikki's best friend is an aspiring reporter who wants to use him to get a story, there's the chick salesman who constantly gives really inspirational advice by accident while trying to convince people to buy a chick, there's Rokusho who's a cool peaceful loner robot, and there's the helpful meda-store worker who is almost certainly the phantom renegade who is definitely later the masked medafighter except for when he's clearly given the mask to another regular character as a ploy to not get caught by the police.

It was a fun show.

Loved that last bit so much. Always like when a battle shonen makes the effort to have its large secondary cast do stuff in the final stages.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

drrockso20 posted:

One thing I liked was that they didn't overdo it with localizing it, like they fully acknowledged that the show was set in Japan, hell when the show did an episode centered around Takoyaki(aka Octopus Balls) they kept them as Octopus Balls in the dub instead of pulling a "Jelly Donuts" type of thing like a lot of shows in that era would have done
For a Nelvana dub it was pretty competent, compared to poo poo like Cardcaptor Sakura where they just outright cut a bunch of episodes because they wanted it focused on Syaoran

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

As for Pokemon, Sun and Moon is great. The biggest thing is that it's a season that doesn't reuse the same story of the last 20 years of: Ash wants to go to the pokemon league to lose, so for 3 years he'll slowly crawl to 8 gyms and spend the last 3 or 2 months at the league, while week-to-week it's (meet pokemon/they have problem they try to solve/team rocket shows up and beating them solves it).

Instead Ash is charmed by the education system of alola during a vacation his dad mr mime won and decides to stay there instead. The professor lets him live with him and they immediately get a wholesome father/son dynamic that was never seen in this show. Ash is the battle-focused kid in the group, but there isn't even a battle each week, like one episode is just the gang going camping, trying to figure out why they keep getting tired, and finding out some mushroom pokemon were stealing their energy to make a tree be vibrant. The whole cast is great, specially Kiawe. Animation is amazing and delightful, look at this old fluffy dragon https://www.sakugabooru.com/post/show/44568

The only major mistakes I remember offhand from Ash are on the sensible side of forgetting a pokemon's secondary typing in the heat of battle, specifically that Golurk is part ground and Lucario part steel. Otherwise he's just a hot headed shonen with five cast members to complement him.

I just wish the english dub on netflix didn't have so-so voice directing and **terrible** music.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Drampa: probably the best dragon pokemon in like four generations.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

MorningMoon posted:

As for Pokemon, Sun and Moon is great. The biggest thing is that it's a season that doesn't reuse the same story of the last 20 years of: Ash wants to go to the pokemon league to lose, so for 3 years he'll slowly crawl to 8 gyms and spend the last 3 or 2 months at the league, while week-to-week it's (meet pokemon/they have problem they try to solve/team rocket shows up and beating them solves it).

Instead Ash is charmed by the education system of alola during a vacation his dad mr mime won and decides to stay there instead. The professor lets him live with him and they immediately get a wholesome father/son dynamic that was never seen in this show. Ash is the battle-focused kid in the group, but there isn't even a battle each week, like one episode is just the gang going camping, trying to figure out why they keep getting tired, and finding out some mushroom pokemon were stealing their energy to make a tree be vibrant. The whole cast is great, specially Kiawe. Animation is amazing and delightful, look at this old fluffy dragon https://www.sakugabooru.com/post/show/44568

The only major mistakes I remember offhand from Ash are on the sensible side of forgetting a pokemon's secondary typing in the heat of battle, specifically that Golurk is part ground and Lucario part steel. Otherwise he's just a hot headed shonen with five cast members to complement him.

I just wish the english dub on netflix didn't have so-so voice directing and **terrible** music.

Hell, he even straight up wins the tournament at the end for once (which to my knowledge has only happened before during the Orange Islands and Battle Frontier arcs).

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

paradoxGentleman posted:

Drampa: probably the best dragon pokemon in like four generations.

Definitely the comfiest, but idk about "best"

ARMBAR A COP
Nov 24, 2007

I just finished binging OK KO.

Holy poo poo, it's amazing. I actually teared up at the last episode.

I was watching Adventure Time since the pilot, and stopped at the Marceline 8 parter. I'm on season 8 now, and I hope it's good.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Man Summer Camp Island and now Hilda back in the same week. Fuckin love it

It was confusing me that everything I saw only listed 3 or 4 Hilda episodes but nope it is an entire new 13-episode season with a couple of longer than usual episodes (one is 31 minutes and the finale is 46)

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

ARMBAR A COP posted:

I was watching Adventure Time since the pilot, and stopped at the Marceline 8 parter. I'm on season 8 now, and I hope it's good.

It's okay. It's definitely not the same show as it was in the beginning.

OK KO was pretty amazing.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Hilda season 2 is amazing.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Trying to force myself to not binge all of Hilda but it's so hard :(
It's so great and cute

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!
Halfway through Hilda S2. It certainly feels faster and more action-packed than S1.
It’s still very cute and enjoyable.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Hilda 2.4 I thought the vikings were going to be robots or something but no, they are actually people and are actually dying and dismembering each other and gleefully chopping each other in half before being brought back to life. :stare:

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Argue posted:

Hilda 2.4 I thought the vikings were going to be robots or something but no, they are actually people and are actually dying and dismembering each other and gleefully chopping each other in half before being brought back to life. :stare:

Reminds me of the Billy and Mandy episode where Billy ends up in Valhalla

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I've started watching Season 2 of The Mask. I kind of like that after a few months Edge City has started to get used to the Mask's antics and sometimes plays back, like when an angry mob chases him into a windmill (of course) and when they pound on the door the exchange is
"Who Iiiiiiii~s iiiit?"
"An angry seething Moooooo~oooob!"

That was cute. Also Fish Guy and Putty Thing's third appearence is interesting because they cement their personalities - Fish Guy is a total toxic rear end who as soon as he gets his own strength abandons Putty Thing in an act of extreme pettiness, then later on weaponises a dizzy Mask who has become very suggestible into hurting him. In stark contrast, Putty Thing is always there for Fish Guy, never makes him feel weak and does everything he can to accommodate him, which makes him very easy to manipulate - then when he replaces Fish Guy with Stanley Ipkiss, he gives him the same kind and thoughtful treatment he gave his other friend, again never giving him a hard time or accusing him of slowing him down. And again being very easily manipulated. With the right company, Putty Thing may actually be a redeemable person, it's just his recklessness (he really likes to break stuff, although he feels more thoughtless than cruel, he's a teenager with superpowers so he's shortsighted and really wants to use them whether it's appropriate or not) and blind loyalty that holds him back.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

drrockso20 posted:

Reminds me of the Billy and Mandy episode where Billy ends up in Valhalla

"This is like a video game, only it hurts!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

ARMBAR A COP posted:

Hey, I was in the same boat as you! Stopped right when stakes ended too. I found my catch up to be quite satisfying!

Distant Lands is very nice and I loved Obsidian.